Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Is it ever explained why Grima inexplicably grew a face on his snout when you kill him? It's been bothering ever since I beat it and replayed it recently. It feels like a scrapped concept that managed to sneak in or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I JUST got this and wow is it ever good. Mage Avatar, marrying Miriel. Gonna have magic babies.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

dog kisser posted:

I JUST got this and wow is it ever good. Mage Avatar, marrying Miriel. Gonna have magic babies.

Well you might not want to marry yourself off so quickly. Remember you can marry literally any woman you recruit throughout the entire game.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Emong posted:

Well you might not want to marry yourself off so quickly. Remember you can marry literally any woman you recruit throughout the entire game.

Yeah thought of that afterwards. Such is life!

...I don't suppose you can kill your wife and marry someone else?

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
Nope, that is not allowed.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Ern Malley posted:

Nope, that is not allowed.

So I named my avatar Bluebeard for nothing!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
What are the chances that they will release a pack that contains all the DLC for cheaper than buying each one individually? Has this ever happened for any game on a Nintendo console? There are a few individual ones that seem worth it (according to the OP at least) but I'm not really keen on basically paying for the game twice over just for a bunch of maps.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Er. They've already done that. Not ALL the DLC, but you can buy packs with three maps a piece.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But that's exactly what he's asking for. Nintendo is still new to this whole "DLC" concept, so who knows whether they'll do it or not. If they do it won't be for a while though. You don't need any DLC to beat the game, it's all side stuff that you can safely ignore.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, I do appreciate that all the DLC is optional and that they do have the three-map packs. But I'm thinking along the lines of some PC games where they come out with a GOTY version that includes everything already, or like the "season pass" thing.

I think buying everything individually (even with the three-map packs) comes out to over 30 bucks. That's basically the price of the game itself; you can't possibly say that the DLC provides the same amount of content as the main game. I guess this is more of a complaint about DLC in general though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Given that DLC costs them virtually nothing to distribute, maybe they'll do a complete package later down the line when fewer people are purchasing to get one last hurrah out of it and make some more cash?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I've already beaten Apotheosis Hard Mode, but I'm wondering about the general consensus of Sol's usefulness there.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I've already beaten Apotheosis Hard Mode, but I'm wondering about the general consensus of Sol's usefulness there.

You could maybe swing it on a Defense built Manakete, but otherwise it's basically useless. You take so much damage and deal so little without a skill proc that it won't make any difference (and when it procs Ignis/Luna/Vengeance/Astra/Whatever can't).

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hikaki posted:

Yeah, I do appreciate that all the DLC is optional and that they do have the three-map packs. But I'm thinking along the lines of some PC games where they come out with a GOTY version that includes everything already, or like the "season pass" thing.

I think buying everything individually (even with the three-map packs) comes out to over 30 bucks. That's basically the price of the game itself; you can't possibly say that the DLC provides the same amount of content as the main game. I guess this is more of a complaint about DLC in general though.

It's like twice that actually. It's $53 total before tax, and almost $60 with tax included.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Hikaki posted:

you can't possibly say that the DLC provides the same amount of content as the main game.

Depends on what you mean. For me at least, I spent way more time playing the DLC maps than the main game when grinding up a team for Apotheosis and trying to get legendary items, plus grinding Seeds of Trust to fill out the support gallery. Of course, if you're just gonna do each map once and call it a day, then yea it's probably a lesser value than the main game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cake Attack posted:

You could maybe swing it on a Defense built Manakete, but otherwise it's basically useless. You take so much damage and deal so little without a skill proc that it won't make any difference (and when it procs Ignis/Luna/Vengeance/Astra/Whatever can't).

Also, because of the way Brave weapons and Aegis and Pavise work, the character in the back of a pair-up (who can't proc skills) will normally be doing a lot more damage than the one in front unless the front gets a damage-increasing proc (which is mutually exclusive with a Sol proc).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Seriously on a normal, non assisted attack you'll be very lucky to more than single digit damage per hit. Compare that to the enemy doing more than half your max health in a hit and it just doesn't work out well. If you want a health skill, Lifetaker is the best one for Apotheosis. Most of your killing will be on player phase, you'll probably take around ~55 damage from Luna+ and then be healed for 40. So you can kill two people with Galeforce before you need your healer to check in on you, assuming you have max health.

Even Aegis/Pavise aren't particularly useful for most situations in Apotheosis. Aegis is moreso because two Snipers have Brave Bows and there are Celica's Gale Sages on wave four. Outside of that, if anyone but Anna is doubling you you're doing something wrong.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

It's like twice that actually. It's $53 total before tax, and almost $60 with tax included.

Holy crap. There goes any hope of getting everything in the future for a reasonable price.

Wind God Sety posted:

Depends on what you mean.

Quantity of maps, for one. I see there are 25 different DLC episodes, and I'm assuming each has one map. So that's 60 bucks for 25 maps. In contrast, the main game has 26 story maps plus 23 paralogues for 40 bucks. That is a huge difference.

Two, quality of characters. Characters in the main game are unique, with their own art and animations, quirks, and story relevance. I believe the DLC characters have none of this? No unique sprite or model, no support dialogue, just a generic soldier with a name tacked on.

To be fair, I don't count grindability, so that might be worth it if that floats your boat. But I don't think you can say that more than a few DLC maps are good for that.

I mean, I guess I wouldn't mind paying 60 bucks for everything if it were 1.5x as awesome as the main game, but it totally is not. I would say $15 is more reasonable, but that probably won't happen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hikaki posted:

Holy crap. There goes any hope of getting everything in the future for a reasonable price.

Quantity of maps, for one. I see there are 25 different DLC episodes, and I'm assuming each has one map. So that's 60 bucks for 25 maps. In contrast, the main game has 26 story maps plus 23 paralogues for 40 bucks. That is a huge difference.

Two, quality of characters. Characters in the main game are unique, with their own art and animations, quirks, and story relevance. I believe the DLC characters have none of this? No unique sprite or model, no support dialogue, just a generic soldier with a name tacked on.

To be fair, I don't count grindability, so that might be worth it if that floats your boat. But I don't think you can say that more than a few DLC maps are good for that.

I mean, I guess I wouldn't mind paying 60 bucks for everything if it were 1.5x as awesome as the main game, but it totally is not. I would say $15 is more reasonable, but that probably won't happen.

The 'of bonds' and Future series both have a whole bunch of extra content as good, or better, than the stuff in the main game. Tons of good supports and character interaction stuff.

Most of the early DLC is completely skippable, though grabbing the ones with classes or skills can be worth it if you want to tackle Apotheosis. The bare minimum of all the best DLC runs about 15-30 dollars depending on how much skill stuff you want. The 'of bonds', and future ones are only 12 dollars and most worth the money. Anything else you buy should be to tackle Apotheosis, which at minimum requires buying the map to get limit break (as well as the golden pack and the paragon maps if you value your sanity). Dread Fighter and Bride offer good skills, but aren't strictly required. Everything else isn't worth it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Can the Avatar not marry someone? Does that have effects down the road?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

dog kisser posted:

Yes, and it just means that you won't be able to get his/her kid.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

dog kisser posted:

The only forced marriage in the game is Chrom's. Anyone else, Avatar included, does not have to marry.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You miss out on characters yeah but that's everything.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
You do miss out on the paralogue where you recruit the kid too, though you can still marry anytime you want and get it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

You miss out on a character with great support convos, so it's not worth not marrying MU to anyone. There are certain female characters that only MU can marry if you've already got plans for all the women. I assume the same goes for male characters, but I'm not 100% sure.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I almost lost Lissa on the second battle. I have to be more aware of the bad guys.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

I almost lost Lissa on the second battle. I have to be more aware of the bad guys.

You can press X to show the attack range of all the enemies, or highlight an enemy and press A to see that specific enemy's attack range.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I want to be a MASSIVE spergmaster with this game, what are some good guides to obsessively fret about my +1s and character progression with???

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Bigass Moth posted:

I want to be a MASSIVE spergmaster with this game, what are some good guides to obsessively fret about my +1s and character progression with???

The best resource is Serenes Forest, although you have to jump between different pages depending on what you do/don't already know and what exactly you're looking up: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/index.html

If there's something you don't understand, or if you're looking for specific ideas on parent combos and skill inheritance for the kids or something, asking here might be easiest.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is all the super grinding for Apotheosis for Lunatic or Hard as well? I'm into my hard game and have some possibly sub-optimal marriages (Avatar Tharja, Gaius Panne, Lon'qu Cordelia) and wonder if I should bother getting DLC for this file or not.

Avatar Tharja paired can one shot any regular story thing on every map I've played so far, but not sure if that sort of thing will cut it if I try Apotheosis.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jakse posted:

Is all the super grinding for Apotheosis for Lunatic or Hard as well? I'm into my hard game and have some possibly sub-optimal marriages (Avatar Tharja, Gaius Panne, Lon'qu Cordelia) and wonder if I should bother getting DLC for this file or not.

Avatar Tharja paired can one shot any regular story thing on every map I've played so far, but not sure if that sort of thing will cut it if I try Apotheosis.

Avatar/Tharja with a +Mag Avatar is arguably the most optimal pairing for a male Avatar because Tharja's got good modifiers and no one else makes Noire great.

Having said that, Apotheosis is nothing like the main game. You could totally beat it with suboptimal pairings, its not that spergy, but its going to be rough if you're used to coasting through with the Avatar and Tharja. And you'll need to grind up a bunch of people to limit breaker caps.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
People have beaten the secret battle set in Apotheosis using only first-gen characters, so optimal pairings definitely aren't a necessity, even though they help.

Also, Apotheosis is the same on every difficulty, so it doesn't matter what difficulty you tackle the rest of the game on (well, except that lower difficulties make it easier to grind in preparation for it).

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Normal just speeds up the grinding a ton. I feel no shame in having used a normal file while beating the harder Apotheosis. All that grinding can stuff it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just got this game a day ago and I've never played a Fire Emblem before. I picked "hard" because it said it was for people who have played SRPGs before or something like that. But now my map has these Risen dudes popping up at waypoints and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to defeat them or not. They're kind of blocking off the shops and I don't know if they'll eventually go away.

Like, chapter 2 was really brutal until I figured out the pairing up trick and from then I got through chapter 4 and the rescue the villager sidequest pretty easy, but these random battle things are pretty tough. One of them has flying units that home in on my squad members and kill them as soon as they take damage and the other has guys about double my level. I don't know if I'm missing a Fire Emblem trick or if I should just ignore them for now.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
They do eventually go away so you're free to ignore them if you can't beat them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When Risen encounters show up at first, they tend to be a bit over your level. You can ignore them and they'll go away eventually. Eventually you'll be on par or better with any Risen you'll find.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Nakar posted:

Lon'Qu and Miriel produces a Laurent with +4 MAG, +5 SKL/SPD. Marrying him with a female +MAG/-DEF Avatar produces a Morgan with +8 MAG, +5 SKL, +7 SPD... and -6 DEF. :shobon:

This is a while back, but I'm planning to do this myself on my next run and I have a question. Why -DEF over -STR? Personal preference, or is it a key choice?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

This is a while back, but I'm planning to do this myself on my next run and I have a question. Why -DEF over -STR? Personal preference, or is it a key choice?

Ignis is less powerful and defense/resistance is irrelevant for the highest levels.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Okay, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, I remember that in the situations where I actually had to eat a counter (e.g. against the Vantage+/Luna+ Snipers and the Helswath Berserkers with Luna+ in the last secret wave), I was taking anywhere from 60-70 damage (and at best, I was hitting in the mid-teens without skill procs).

• Locked thread