Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I take it aside from the issues I stated, All 4 One was okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

I've implemented gatz's suggestions, how do the new videos look?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 16, 2013

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Dear Baldurk and co

I was just browsing through LP Archive and noticed there are no "Speed run" or "Skilled" categories. I guess challenge can fit the purpose fairly well but if it's not too much trouble adding one or both of those categories might be handy to separate goofy challenges from regular gameplay just with above average skill.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Powerfrog posted:

Dear Baldurk and co

I was just browsing through LP Archive and noticed there are no "Speed run" or "Skilled" categories. I guess challenge can fit the purpose fairly well but if it's not too much trouble adding one or both of those categories might be handy to separate goofy challenges from regular gameplay just with above average skill.

I don't know, these two seem pretty unnecessary. I mean, unless an LP was based entirely on doing a self-imposed challenge of some kind then it might go there but how many have actually done that? And, I think a lot of things can just be assumed. If you're good at the game, people will notice! Usually if the LPer is not they do mention it straight away in the first video I believe. For the most part I don't think these need to be tags.

I was doing challenges for RE6 from the audience but then I decided to stop and just go to town on the game, and I would not want a "challenge(s)" tag on the archival since they only lasted for a few updates and challenges done as a side thing are pretty superfluous to the whole shebang. If you start making challenges the focus then that leads into the next point: it could probably become something arrogant, but that isn't to say they can't be fun at all. I would think a lot of people just want to sit back and be shown something new and to be entertained by an LP.

There's also something about "Skilled" in that I think a lot of people would find that kind of attention craving among other things. Like I said, if you're good at the game it will show and the most I would do is say something like "I've played this game for x amount of hours so I'm positive I'll be able to bring out the most in this game!" at the start of a thread.

Edit: realized I missed the speed run tag. Yes, that could be there actually, I was too focused on "Challenge" and "Skilled," sorry. Also by the looks of it there already is a "Challenges" tag on the LParchive.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 13, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Fight It Out! Let's Play Ogre Battle 64!

Actual gameplay + first mission

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lunethex posted:

I don't know, these two seem pretty unnecessary. I mean, unless an LP was based entirely on doing a self-imposed challenge of some kind then it might go there but how many have actually done that? And, I think a lot of things can just be assumed. If you're good at the game, people will notice! Usually if the LPer is not they do mention it straight away in the first video I believe. For the most part I don't think these need to be tags.

I was doing challenges for RE6 from the audience but then I decided to stop and just go to town on the game, and I would not want a "challenge(s)" tag on the archival since they only lasted for a few updates and challenges done as a side thing are pretty superfluous to the whole shebang. If you start making challenges the focus then that leads into the next point: it could probably become something arrogant, but that isn't to say they can't be fun at all. I would think a lot of people just want to sit back and be shown something new and to be entertained by an LP.

There's also something about "Skilled" in that I think a lot of people would find that kind of attention craving among other things. Like I said, if you're good at the game it will show and the most I would do is say something like "I've played this game for x amount of hours so I'm positive I'll be able to bring out the most in this game!" at the start of a thread.

Edit: realized I missed the speed run tag. Yes, that could be there actually, I was too focused on "Challenge" and "Skilled," sorry. Also by the looks of it there already is a "Challenges" tag on the LParchive.

I can see the point of a 'skilful' tag for stuff like AccountingNightmares' Devil May Cry series, since she tears each game so many new ones with a frighteningly high level of play, but challenges and speedruns are generally bonus material, rather than the main point of a thread.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The "informative" and "completionist" tags tend to include most of the LPs that are played skillfully, by my experience.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

This is probably a dumb question that has been answered a million times already but who adds the tags? Does Baldurk do it or do users do it?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is probably a dumb question that has been answered a million times already but who adds the tags? Does Baldurk do it or do users do it?

Everyone can. I tag all of my archived LPs with "informative", for instance.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

General information about the LP/test post:

This is the second time I post this, since I was a dumb-rear end and didn't realize that the three month period was still going up.
I will do a full play-through of the game, the pace is depending on how well this first recording goes.
This also will be a subtitled LP since I don't see how my voice will help the atmosphere of the game.
I noticed while editing that the notifications where turned on, I’ll make sure that this doesn't happen again. Also none of the loading screens are cut out because they don’t take that long and they introduce the upcoming puzzles.
I’ll be glad to hear tips for more improvement.

Information about the game:

The Bridge was created by Ty Taylor and Mario Castañeda. It was started as a project requirement for Ty Taylor's Master of Science degree in Computer Science at Case Western Reserve University, and shortly after the game was started, Mario Castañeda took the role as the sole artist for his Art minor capstone project at Case Western. The production of The Bridge has continued even after Ty and Mario have graduated to turn the school project into a professional-quality indie game.
The steam release was on February 22 2013, and has the price tag of fifteen Euro's.
The game has a great atmosphere that reminds me somewhat of Braid, and has received a handful of awards.
I included a link to a Q&A with the game designers

Steam’s discription of the game:

The Bridge is a 2D logic puzzle game that forces the player to reevaluate their preconceptions of physics and perspective. It is Isaac Newton meets M. C. Escher. Manipulate gravity to redefine the ceiling as the floor while venturing through impossible architectures. Explore increasingly difficult worlds, each uniquely detailed and designed to leave the player with a pronounced sense of intellectual accomplishment. The Bridge exemplifies games as an art form, with beautifully hand-drawn art in the style of a black-and-white lithograph.

Let's play The Bridge part 1

sagacious fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 15, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You have blurry sprites and distorted text. The graphics probably aren't meant to be displayed in 800x600. I'm not sure about the N64, but try resolutions like 640x480 or maybe 512x480 if that still doesn't look clean.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Here's 640x480 resized with nearest neighbor. I tried going smaller but it made the text look weird.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Here's 640x480 resized with nearest neighbor. I tried going smaller but it made the text look weird.

Is there a reason for using jpg rather than png?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

When he said 640x480, he meant take the screen shots at that resolution, not resize the ones you already took.

I only was able to take a quick look, but your character portraits are too big. The ones at the beginning of the prologue are a good size though.

As an aside, you're the first person I've seen to not make a Queen reference in the proposed thread title.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Is there a reason for using jpg rather than png?

It's what Project64 captures them as, and I've looked through the settings and don't see an option to change it. I guess I could print screen and crop it in Photoshop and save it as PNG, though that would be more work.

unpronounceable posted:

When he said 640x480, he meant take the screen shots at that resolution, not resize the ones you already took.

I only was able to take a quick look, but your character portraits are too big. The ones at the beginning of the prologue are a good size though.

As an aside, you're the first person I've seen to not make a Queen reference in the proposed thread title.

I figured Queen references were way overdone.

Here's a screen captured at 640x480. I think that does look better.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 14, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's what Project64 captures them as, and I've looked through the settings and don't see an option to change it.

If you have FRAPS, Hypercam, etc, you can record a video of it that way and pull pngs from that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Artix posted:

If you have FRAPS, Hypercam, etc, you can record a video of it that way and pull pngs from that.

That's a good idea. I'll try that.

EDIT: OK, here we go with a PNG.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 14, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's what Project64 captures them as, and I've looked through the settings and don't see an option to change it. I guess I could print screen and crop it in Photoshop and save it as PNG, though that would be more work.

Oh, okay. I have no experience with P64 but you could try using a third party capture software (Fraps etc.) that supports PNG. At least to see if that would do anything to reduce blurriness.

fake edit:

Artix posted:

That would work, too. :)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

P64's great but that's one of my few gripes against it. There's no function to choose what format to save screenshots as. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to find it, which is more likely the case.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So does anyone actually use the folders in LPIX?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Speedball posted:

You mean making sub-categories for separate LP's? Then yes, it becomes super useful when you've got a lot to go through.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Speedball posted:

I do, and I've only had to make two so far. They seem really handy. I'm a stickler for keeping my stuff neat und tidy, and keeping stuff organized with folders for different LPs and prefixes for different chapters is great in case I need to go back and find some images.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Niggurath posted:

You mean making sub-categories for separate LP's? Then yes, it becomes super useful when you've got a lot to go through.
I even went so far as to make named folders for each update. My list has become a bit cluttered by now, but at least I know that I could easily find whatever I needed to. I still wish you could create sub-folders inside the normal folders though. :)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I do a folder for each update, as well as folders for character portraits and stuff. Of course, I never actually need to use them and could probably get away with no folders, but you never know when that extra bit of organization would come in handy.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

For my first ever screenshot LP I just used the default folder, and now I don't like going in it because it causes my browser to lag.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If it helps, you can move and rename files on LPix without invalidating existing links.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If it helps, you can move and rename files on LPix without invalidating existing links.

Good to know. I've been wanting to organize the files but this is what I was afraid of.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I managed to get my hands on an English copy of Safecracker rather quickly, and so I've already made the OP and first minor update as a test post. A few side notes:

1) The "whole video at the end" thing is just a one-off to give a more continuous video to show off the basic gameplay.
2) My images ended up pretty large in terms of filesize. I ended up converting my Camtasia recording to a fairly uncompressed AVI file for little quality loss and then grabbed PNGs off of that video (I used the same format for the Youtube uploads - now they display properly in 480p), which makes most images clock in at about ~600KB. Is that too much? Should I go over and make the images smaller?

Let's rob our future boss and play Safecracker!

So, what's all this then?

This is Safecracker, a game I'd describe as being "two parts puzzle game, one part point-and-click adventure". It was developed by Daydream Software and released in 1997.

Daydream Software? Who's that?

Daydream Software is a Swedish developer which was founded in 1994. Their first release was Safecracker, and they only released a few more games before being liquidated and turning into Resolution Interactive, who haven't released anything new, to my knowledge. Their other games are as follows: Traitor's Gate (a game similar to Safecracker, except you're stealing the crown jewels from the Tower of London); Ski-Doo: X-Team Racing (apparently a basic racing game, can't find much on this one) and Clusterball (you fly around in a spaceship, collecting balls and flying them into your goal, trying to outscore the opponents). They were planning a "reverse survival horror game" called Campfire: Become Your Nightmare which would have put you into the shoes of a serial killer on a camp ground, but the game was cancelled. Overall, their resume isn't exactly stellar, and I'd wager nobody reading this had heard of them before.

Then tell us more about this game, now.

To expand on what I said earlier, here's a basic description of the game: You find yourself in a Quicktime "room" in which you can look around in any way you wish, as long as you don't move - you have a full 3D view of every "room" available to you. In this "room" you look around, interacting with objects and moving to other "rooms" - that's the "point and click adventure" part. The main point, however, is to find safes and solve their puzzles - that's where the "puzzle game" part comes from, obviously. The over-arching goal is to find the combination to the Crabb master safes that are strewn about in the mansion, locked in the minor safes. The story is also given a small comic strip in the manual, which is kind of neat:

So what makes this game worth showing off?

While this game isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, I feel like it got a bad rap back when it was released (although I can only find so much information about that nowadays), and it really deserves better. The developers worked hard to create interesting puzzles and went the extra mile in making the Crabb estates feel alive - there's a bunch of little things that make the world seem a lot more realistic than just being a multitude of rooms you trudge through, solving puzzles as you go along, but we'll get to that in the actual LP.

Also, I'd like to point out a review on IGN. I'll be referring to this review occasionally, because it's a decent example of just how this game was... "misunderstood", for lack of a better term.

What kind of LP is this going to be?

This will be a hybrid LP - most of the LP will be in screenshot form, because while the way you get around the mansion is really neat to play with, it's not that interesting to watch. I'll put in videos for larger animations and puzzle solutions.

But enough waffling, let's get on to the actual game:

Chapter 1 - Because you've got to start somewhere

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Ingenious. Whoever* designed that thing is a frickin' genius!

* thanks Baldurk

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The text looks better, but the sprites still look wonky.

There's visible distortion and a kind of glow around it. Try fiddling with the settings some more. In order for sprites to look clean, all pixels should be displayed at the same size, more along the lines of this:

(still not perfect though, since it's just an edit)

Speedball posted:

Yup, a new folder for every update.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I switched to a different graphic plugin (which conveniently allows me to capture PNGs!) and this is what it gave me.

That definitely looks way better than anything before, as far as I can tell.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You've still got some issues with the captures in Ogre Battle, with the pixels having different sizes at different places that makes all the spritework look a bit lopsided and awkward. Compare the 's' characters in "Ninja's garb" and "Fst" for instance -- they should the same font but they don't quite look it. Some comparisons.

Old scene:
-

New scene:
-
(Okay, not exactly the same, I just grabbed something similar from a random tutorial)

Your settings doing filtering when scaling the 3D characters is possibly an improvement, depending on tastes (I'd say so, pixel perfection purists probably wouldn't). For everything else, note that text characters in my shots have the same pixel widths and heights everywhere they're drawn, icons like the sword/staff and shield are identical everywhere, etc. Relevant glide64 settings as that seems to be the recommended plugin here, far as I can tell the most important were to set the filtering mode to nearest neighbor (else the text is a mess) and aspect ratio to original (else it screws up the screen resize). Originals were at 320x240 from PJ64's F3 internal capture (not recommended for an actual LP) and then doubled with irfanview.

While this looks about as close to a console as it'll get in screengrabs, it also resulted in my emulator outputting a letterboxed 320x240 image which in turn made playing with those particular settings require either a very low desktop resolution or a zoom utility of some sort. Making the emulator itself do a rescale always resulted in assorted garbage for me. Also, fair warning: Ogre Battle 64 has been terribly emulated for years -- I was honestly surprised I didn't see any issues in the two minutes I played through to grab those screens -- and while it seems like most the kinks are worked out nowadays you may well run into problems down the road. I'd really like to read an LP if it so you have my sincere hopes that this'll work out...

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 14, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I took a couple comparison shots with your settings. The first one is the default ratio, then resized in Photoshop.

This one I took with Glide64 set to 4:3 aspect ratio.

There's definitely a difference but I'm not quite sure how to describe it. The resized one looks more...trim, I guess? Elements appear a bit smaller in that version than in the 4:3 version.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The first one looks best. Compare the letters, S especially. You can see how in the first one, each pixel is uniform. In the second one, some pixels are squished compared to others.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey is there any reason SALR would make a post fine, but the LP Test poster doesn't? I want to post a test post for my shadowrun LP, but it seems to be not working?

For some reason this

Looks like unparsed BB-code.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Turtlicious posted:

Hey is there any reason SALR would make a post fine, but the LP Test poster doesn't? I want to post a test post for my shadowrun LP, but it seems to be not working?

Looks like unparsed BB-code.

Probably because it's a .bmp file.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picayune posted:

Probably because it's a .bmp file.

I can't find anything in the OP about .bmp files, does it look unparsed for everyone or just me? My last post looked fine on the forums, but broken in the test poster.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I can't find anything in the OP about .bmp files, does it look unparsed for everyone or just me? My last post looked fine on the forums, but broken in the test poster.
Is there a reason for using uncompressed BMPs? Your little picture is 840kb, when I convert it to lossless PNG it gets packed into 22kb.

BMP is not even an internet standard format so support for it depends on forum and browser software.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Is there a reason for using uncompressed BMPs? Your little picture is 840kb, when I convert it to lossless PNG it gets packed into 22kb.

BMP is not even an internet standard format so support for it depends on forum and browser software.

E: Ok, that made me sound lazy and stupid. Yes, I can see why making it nearly 10x smaller with no image degradation would be a good thing, and a quick google search pointed me at IfranView. Sometimes I really need to think before typing.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Turtlicious posted:

That's just what the Emulator out-putted them as, and they look really good, and I didn't feel like re-doing everything by hand. Is there a batch conversion program?

I see you goin' places kid.

• Locked thread