Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Gramatik posted:

The best part was that their strategy consisted strictly of dropping tanks over and over.

Were they militia tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramatik
May 29, 2006

I would assume so. I'm still pretty new and can't really tell the difference. I just thought it was hilarious.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bigmcgaffney posted:

LATENCY PROBLEMS

*drops a sick jay z beat and spits some masterful lyrics on par with SVER's best work*

If you're having ping problems I feel bad for you son / I got 99 clone-deaths but a lag ain't one :c00l:

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Gramatik posted:

I would assume so. I'm still pretty new and can't really tell the difference. I just thought it was hilarious.

If you aim at a vehicle its type and name shows up just below and to the right of the crosshair. If it doesn't show, you need to get closer.

Sica and Soma are the militia shield and armor HAVS, respectively.

Gunnlogi and Madrugar are the standard shield and armor HAVs.

Also, shield tanks are angular and grey, and armor tanks are rounded and dark green.

There's also that new class of tanks, enforcers I think? I don't really see them around as much.

Oh and the killfeed tells you what type of tank just made the kill, as well.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
So this game... I find myself running around vast open areas with no cover, and getting killed instantly whenever I see anyone. Is this typical? Should I make a point of buying a usb keyboard/mouse so I can actually play even slightly competitively?

Also so far I'm spending all my money on skill books (and following the progression in the OP), am I right in not bothering to buy any gear until I stop dying constantly? Or do I need to buy gear to not die?

edit: I especially like the times I get the drop on someone, unload a clip into their back, and they turn around and kill me.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 15, 2013

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Soarer posted:

Yeah, things to check are aim assist OFF, mouse smoothing OFF, dead zone on the move to ZERO, and also make sure the controller X/Y sensitivities are equal. I play at 80 on the mouse sensitivity setting. Not sure what I have my controller sensitivities to though.

I am really glad to have done this. I had my x and y sensitivities different since Uprising. :argh:

tanker
Apr 27, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

So this game... I find myself running around vast open areas with no cover, and getting killed instantly whenever I see anyone. Is this typical? Should I make a point of buying a usb keyboard/mouse so I can actually play even slightly competitively?

Also so far I'm spending all my money on skill books (and following the progression in the OP), am I right in not bothering to buy any gear until I stop dying constantly? Or do I need to buy gear to not die?

edit: I especially like the times I get the drop on someone, unload a clip into their back, and they turn around and kill me.

Oh this sounds very much like my experience, I can't aim worth a drat with the controller. Though when I tried shotgun at least it prevented the "they can turn around and kill you back" because if you can get right on top of them, preferably when they're standing still (usually hacking) it's a 1 shot :v: Of course once you get out of the academy these opportunities become rarer, not to mention they often have better suits so you might not be able to nail them in one go.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IronSaber posted:

Were they militia tanks?

Maddies I think, so no (the first certainly was because he got A SINGLE KILL). Whoever it was also rolled a rail tank into the city.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

tanker posted:

Oh this sounds very much like my experience, I can't aim worth a drat with the controller. Though when I tried shotgun at least it prevented the "they can turn around and kill you back" because if you can get right on top of them, preferably when they're standing still (usually hacking) it's a 1 shot :v: Of course once you get out of the academy these opportunities become rarer, not to mention they often have better suits so you might not be able to nail them in one go.

Yeah but, I'm up against someone who's running a K/D of 26/2, while I'm 0/6, and someone is shooting at me with an assault rifle at range and my health melts in a single second, meanwhile I'll try and crouch+scope+controlled bursts at someone at range who doesn't even know I'm there and I don't think I register a single hit.

The last fps I played was TF2, which I played often from launch up until the hats were introduced. That had nice tight maps with lots of action and you clearly knew why you died. This is just a massive clusterfuck of wide open spaces and a man who moves like he's not in any particular hurry.

Maybe it's just pub games and this'll all be better once my application is approved. But as it stands it doesn't appear that a single map is designed for the "Front line assault" default suit. Everything is snipers or vehicles you have no idea how to summon.

gently caress I can't even tell what map it is I'm about to play on until I'm in it. Actually I can't choose anything about any game mode as far as I can tell. It's all just Instant Acadamy, or one or two mercenary fights.

There has to be something I'm missing right? I know CCP make poor decisions, but to make a free to play game this hostile to new users, who are supposed to be the people you're selling the game to.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

NZAmoeba posted:

Yeah but, I'm up against someone who's running a K/D of 26/2, while I'm 0/6, and someone is shooting at me with an assault rifle at range and my health melts in a single second, meanwhile I'll try and crouch+scope+controlled bursts at someone at range who doesn't even know I'm there and I don't think I register a single hit.

The last fps I played was TF2, which I played often from launch up until the hats were introduced. That had nice tight maps with lots of action and you clearly knew why you died. This is just a massive clusterfuck of wide open spaces and a man who moves like he's not in any particular hurry.

Maybe it's just pub games and this'll all be better once my application is approved. But as it stands it doesn't appear that a single map is designed for the "Front line assault" default suit. Everything is snipers or vehicles you have no idea how to summon.

gently caress I can't even tell what map it is I'm about to play on until I'm in it. Actually I can't choose anything about any game mode as far as I can tell. It's all just Instant Acadamy, or one or two mercenary fights.

There has to be something I'm missing right? I know CCP make poor decisions, but to make a free to play game this hostile to new users, who are supposed to be the people you're selling the game to.

Never not play with goons, especially when you're new. Having low SP really just tosses you into the meatgrinder, and i'm pretty sure the only reason i'm still playing is because I made like half my SP while being drunk off my rear end and roleplaying Lethal Weapon. Crouching also has a negligible benefit around 90% of the time. Generally you want to always be moving around - strafing in a figure eight pattern will usually make you survive a hell of a lot longer.

Hop in a squad with me sometime ("klapon" ingame) and when i'm not spergily screaming about how that guy shouldn't have killed me I can show you the ropes a bit.

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.
Once we're finally out of the PC bullshit we can have fun loving around in squads again. Would you guys please stop defending our districts? :smith:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

spazzhole posted:

Once we're finally out of the PC bullshit we can have fun loving around in squads again. Would you guys please stop defending our districts? :smith:

Blasphemy, Fortress Hrober should stand a thousand years. If only to piss off the try hards and subdreddit with their inability to remove us.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I personally think the war in space (i.e. EVE) is more detrimental than PC to our having fun loving around in squads. Stop flying around in your gatdang spaceships and come shoot mans with us. :arghfist::mad:

Anyway, I'm sure we'll lose all our districts sooner or later; we're on a winning streak now, but I think it's mostly because we've had a bunch of easy/lucky games. We're not really that good or well-organized for these things compared to the more serious corps.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sleeptalker posted:

I personally think the war in space (i.e. EVE) is more detrimental than PC to our having fun loving around in squads. Stop flying around in your gatdang spaceships and come shoot mans with us. :arghfist::mad:

Anyway, I'm sure we'll lose all our districts sooner or later; we're on a winning streak now, but I think it's mostly because we've had a bunch of easy/lucky games. We're not really that good or well-organized for these things compared to the more serious corps.

Half our people are fighting TEST and the other half only shows up to PC because Subdreddit announced they wanted to open a second front. We've been winning because they're not even sending in full teams; I guess they didn't want that 80m isk anyway?

If Subdreddit hadn't had that silly post about hurrrr fightan' CFC durrrrr second front, we'd probably have given the damned things to them anyway.

Districts suck, there's a reason why Imps left PC.

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

sleeptalker posted:

The directors universally hate PC, and we're not the only group getting out. The only difference is we're not getting out until someone takes it from us

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013
It's really unfortunate that Planetary Conquest turned out the way it did. I don't think Dust can survive if it doesn't develop a meaningful metagame and it's starting to look like it never will.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
You know, I didn't think about it before, but the only effect PC really has if you don't participate in PC is just that the big PC players have better suits more often in Skirmish and Ambush. Or I guess they can funnel cash into EVE but the best PC corps don't have any interest in EVE so uh welp

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Judas Iscaredycat posted:

I don't think Dust can survive if it doesn't develop a meaningful metagame and it's starting to look like it never will.

I certainly hope they don't give up on the game thirty-one days after release...

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

klapman posted:

You know, I didn't think about it before, but the only effect PC really has if you don't participate in PC is just that the big PC players have better suits more often in Skirmish and Ambush. Or I guess they can funnel cash into EVE but the best PC corps don't have any interest in EVE so uh welp

There are things they can do to make PC more interesting (adjusting timers, having line-level benefits) but yeah that part is a mess. Corp battles need to return in a big way

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

klapman posted:

You know, I didn't think about it before, but the only effect PC really has if you don't participate in PC is just that the big PC players have better suits more often in Skirmish and Ambush.

I'm good at this game. I play ambush OMS 90% of the time by myself. I run my best stuff at all times, and these are suits costing just under 100k a pop. And I still make ISK.

That's my experience playing ALONE. If I had another 5 tryhards watching my back at all times I would lose even less clones than I do now. Imperfects, Ill Omens, TeamPlayers, etc, they all run proto gear all the time because ISK is not an issue when you're playing at that level.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Just applied as "Phancy Pants"

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Well, our strategy of recruiting pubbies from local to fight the PC match for us didn't go so well. Not so much the "get steamrolled by Ill Omens" part of the strategy, just the part where the pubbies actually take interest.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
Seriously you would think some battle academy people would have bitten at the chance to test their might in PC. I wanted 3 goons in that match and a wall of pubbie militia meat to throw at tryhards, but sadly it was not to be.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I think PC is pretty fun, but it really should only be every few days when you hold a small amount of districts like we do. Every day in the middle of the afternoon for me is a bit excessive.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's really unfortunate that Planetary Conquest turned out the way it did. I don't think Dust can survive if it doesn't develop a meaningful metagame and it's starting to look like it never will.

The reason PC is only in one place is because they want to work on it and improve it before they expand its area of control. What they have right now is stupid and terrible so it would follow that they will eventually make it not terrible.

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I certainly hope they don't give up on the game thirty-one days after release...

I'm more worried about the community drying up. The game was essentially released when it hit open beta and Uprising didn't end up adding much to keep the game fresh. There's still a lot of people playing, so it's not in any immediate danger. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

It's just that when everyone eventually makes the jump to the PS4 the game won't be completely free-to-play anymore because multiplayer is behind a paywall and it'll have competition so if they don't have an actual hook that makes the game unique by that point... I don't know. You guys probably know more about it than I do.:shrug:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

bigmcgaffney posted:

I think PC is pretty fun, but it really should only be every few days when you hold a small amount of districts like we do. Every day in the middle of the afternoon for me is a bit excessive.

I have yet to play a PC match because I'm always at work when they are going on. :smith:

I don't think this game will ever have the meta game that EvE has, or anything even close to it. Though I suppose the only way it could get to that level is if Dust had persistent PC going on like in Planetside 2 or Guild Wars 2. I'm sure things will eventually open up like that, but the fps players are too fickle to wait around for their "10 year plan" to come to fruition.

I feel like CCP is just sitting on a ton of poo poo that can be implemented, but isn't because they want to stretch the life of their game out like WoW by releasing expansions few and far between. As it stands people just log in for a few, shoot some dudes and log off. It's like playing a game on your phone. There is no real incentive to log in every day other than gaining SP to get a skill that will slightly flesh out your character.

There are no huge wars, no crafting, no farming-esque type of "side questing", nothing. If this game had a mineral farming type of secondary activity ala Firefall, I think people would keep busy by dividing their time up between things like crafting and advancing. poo poo, there is even planetary mining farms in EvE, why not tie that in to Dust somehow? Let us try to claim them, defend them, or just kick everyone's sand castles.

As it stands, the game is basically Battlefield 2142 with less to do on the field, and a vastly superior class building system, but it has so much potential to be much much more. There is no meta game because there is barely a game to begin with. Just because this game is loosely tied to EvE, doesn't mean there will ever be a meta game like there is in EvE, or at all for that matter.

TLDR: There needs to be more stuff to do before a meta game can even be considered.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I'm still holding out for if/when CCP implements a way to hijack enemy ships with clones.

The way I think it could work would be to queue up a boarding party like in any match, and then have that ship go hunting for one that is also queued up (or has some form of PvE enabled). Then shenanigans ensue!

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

It's just that when everyone eventually makes the jump to the PS4 the game won't be completely free-to-play anymore because multiplayer is behind a paywall

This isn't necessarily true, Sony's said that publishers will be able to decide whether or not to limit multiplayer to Plus users. It just depends on whether CCP decides it's worth giving Sony whatever cut they'll most likely require for free multiplayer.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

sleeptalker posted:

This isn't necessarily true, Sony's said that publishers will be able to decide whether or not to limit multiplayer to Plus users. It just depends on whether CCP decides it's worth giving Sony whatever cut they'll most likely require for free multiplayer.

It will also continue to not require ps+ on the ps3. This online change will only effect ps4 games which as stated above is up to the developer the other upcoming PS4 F2P play titles have been confirmed to not require it as well.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79716/playstation-plus-for-ps4-multiplayer-to-fund-service-improvements

Quote from Sony President "What we internally discussed and decided is that we will continue the free access to online play on PS3 and Vita, so that's clear."

EDDIE__DINGLE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 16, 2013

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

sleeptalker posted:

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. That's good.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Did Dust get kinda glitchy recently, or am I just having a spot of bad luck? I've noticed today alone:

-A graphically wigged out Null Cannon
-Loading screen stalling
-Railgun turret not doing any damage

Did CCP start messing around under the hood when I wasn't looking?

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

I changed two of our districts to be more USA friendly

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?
it's not so much that we want to keep the districts so much as we want to deny them to everyone else.

that and digging in like a tick to piss off the tryhards who all claimed loudly in the DUST forums that we are a nonentity that will simply get steamrolled.

Joke's on them.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

LostInTheSauce posted:

that and digging in like a tick to piss off the tryhards who all claimed loudly in the DUST forums that we are a nonentity that will simply get steamrolled.

I feel a similar way. They may not do much for us but just the thought of us owning districts seems to get under peoples skin, it's like passive griefing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soarer posted:

I feel a similar way. They may not do much for us but just the thought of us owning districts seems to get under peoples skin, it's like passive griefing.

That's the best type of griefing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone here uses Shield LLAVs, please contact me on the IRC or on Skype so we can discuss fitting them.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I'm bored, and despite it being a terrible idea, I just applied as Shadow Image.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

IronSaber posted:

I'm still holding out for if/when CCP implements a way to hijack enemy ships with clones.

The way I think it could work would be to queue up a boarding party like in any match, and then have that ship go hunting for one that is also queued up (or has some form of PvE enabled). Then shenanigans ensue!

That would kick rear end - I don't really expect it to happen - but could you imagine the rage in some tryhard corp when somebody loses their ship because because their DUST compatriots sucked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I want to fight in the corridors of a battleship. Badass HMG, shotgun, MD action.

• Locked thread