Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Shavnir posted:

I won a GPT with my Wafo-Tapa control deck yesterday.

I love these lists. Are the tec edges primarily against cavern of souls?

I'm building an esper teachings deck as I build a stock of cards, and I'm wondering about the best way to approach a budget manabase.

At the moment I'm thinking that shocks, basics and buddys are the way to go. I've looked at other budget (non fetch) options and they all seem dodgy in one way or the other. The trouble with running buddylands is that they require you to go heavy on the shocks, though the life loss is mitigated slightly by the lack of fetches. They also make it more difficult to run non typed duals.

I'm currently looking at a manabase like this.

SHOCKS
4x hallowed fountain
2x watery grave
2x godless shrine

BUDDYS
4x glacial fortress
4x drowned catacombs

ENTERS TAPPED
4x creeping tar pit (I need these as a second win con apart from white sun's zenith)

BASICS
3x island
2x swamp
1x plains

Any feedback on other ways to go about building a cheaper manabase? Unfortunately my deck choice is pretty mana hungry with esper charms and cryptic command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That's tricky, a lot of control decks have stringent mana requirements. I'd say your best option if you can't afford fetches or the Shadowmoor/Eventide filter lands is the Vivid cycle. I doubt it will be enough though, with cards that cost UWB and 1UUU you really need shocks+fetches, there isn't any way around it.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Konstantin posted:

That's tricky, a lot of control decks have stringent mana requirements. I'd say your best option if you can't afford fetches or the Shadowmoor/Eventide filter lands is the Vivid cycle. I doubt it will be enough though, with cards that cost UWB and 1UUU you really need shocks+fetches, there isn't any way around it.

That seems fair. I guess I'll just have to run a poo poo manabase for a while until I accumulate them, but in the meantime I want to make the best of what I have. I actually am thinking that evolving wilds/terramorphic might be the way to go here, as if I'm going to have lands that enter the board tapped they may as well enable my buddys at the same time.

Maybe this?

SHOCKS x 6
4x hallowed fountain
1x watery grave
1x godless shrine

BUDDYS x8
4x glacial fortress
4x drowned catacombs

TAPPED x6
3x creeping tar pit
3x evolving wilds

BASICS x6
2x island
2x swamp
2x plains

What would a vivid land based manabase look like?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Unfortunately fetches are the crux of the manabase as it mitigates damage taken from shocks and allows you to play less shocks in general. Otherwise, take out Evolving Wilds. Put in 2x Mystic Gate 1x Sunken Ruins. I'd even cut the Godless Shrine for a Nimbus Maze or something, and drop a swamp for another Creeping Tar Pit.

edit: a vivid land manabase would include about 7-9 vivid lands and 3-4 reflecting pools. It wouldn't be bad, but the only time you should be losing tempo is if you're playing Creeping Tar Pit or Celestial Colonnade IMO. I assume you're not playing 2x Cruel Ultimatum and Wurmcoils to make up for all the lost time in the early-mid game.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 11, 2013

Past Nastification
Aug 14, 2007
I feel a trap coming on.
So I'm a huge hypocrite and finally tried R/G UrzaTron and I must admit its quite fun and way less expensive than I thought. I guess the lack of Bobs Tarms and Fetches really help the price of a deck

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Improbably, the Mothership has a fantastic article breaking down the top modern decks, if you want a look at what the metagame is like right now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That white weenie deck actually looks pretty fun to play.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Isn't that just Soul Sisters or am I missing something?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jenx posted:

Isn't that just Soul Sisters or am I missing something?

Ajani's Pridemate and Serra Ascendant allow the deck to suddenly get really aggressive. Old Soul Sisters didn't have that sudden facepunch going for it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
How viable is that Living End list? I'm looking to build another deck and it looks pretty cheap since I already have the fetches.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

How viable is that Living End list? I'm looking to build another deck and it looks pretty cheap since I already have the fetches.

The more creature dependent the format, the better it gets. It rolls to anything that plays a lot of counters and Tron. It's a fun list for sure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ajani's Pridemate and Serra Ascendant allow the deck to suddenly get really aggressive. Old Soul Sisters didn't have that sudden facepunch going for it.

Soul Sisters was literally the name of the deck that played those two cards.

Perhaps you mean matyr proc?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I think he means Project X.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I was wondering if anybody here pilots a Storm list similar to the one Jon Finkel piloted at GP Portland, and if so, if they could give me any pointers on how to pilot a deck like it. I'm looking to make a similar deck, and it would be really helpful to get some pointers.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I was wondering if anybody here pilots a Storm list similar to the one Jon Finkel piloted at GP Portland, and if so, if they could give me any pointers on how to pilot a deck like it. I'm looking to make a similar deck, and it would be really helpful to get some pointers.
Don't.
Its horribly inconsistent and you will not win without a ton of luck. Its also incredibly easy to hate.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

Sure.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Don't.
Its horribly inconsistent and you will not win without a ton of luck. Its also incredibly easy to hate.
Don't listen to this man. The deck is insanely fun and fast, and with all the card draw, you do fine. Ideally your opening hand should contain the following:
  • A red source
  • A blue source
  • Any card draw
  • Any card draw that is the same spell as the first one
  • Pyromancer's Ascension
  • Goblin Electromancer
Don't play the electromancer until turn 3; you want to at least get some value out of it. Ideally you want turn 1 Serum Visions, Turn 2 Ascension, turn 3 Electromancer into, say, Pyretic Ritual, Manamorphose, Serum Visions, Manamorphose (you are now online), Any card draw, continue going off forever. The best part about this is that, other than Serum Visions and Gitaxian Probe, you can actually keep going off at instant speed after they bolt your Electromancer. You can also bait them with Electromancer if you have 2 in hand to get the free land off of Path to Exile.

Once your Pyromancer's Ascension is online, your focus is Manamorphose -> Any other Card Draw -> Rituals. Eventually, you hit Past in Flames, at which point comboing is a fait accompli. Also, Desperate Ritual is really, really good if you can get two in hand and 3 mana to splice it, as you then can cast it twice and immediately have all the mana you'll ever need.

Game 2, bring in Empty the Warrens for Grapeshot, as you'll be seeing Leyline of Sanctity and/or Witchbane Orb, and swinging for 36 is pretty cool. Also, "Slaughter Games for Grapeshot" is absolutely hilarious in that situation. Some people like Goblin Bushwhacker to swing that turn, others figure they can wait a turn to swing if there's no Pyroclasm potential.

There are a few troublesome cards (Surgical Extraction is a bugaboo for sure) but with Storm (as all combo decks), honestly you just have to go off and "make them have it." Sometimes they do, but most of the time when you go off turn 3-4, they just don't have it.

Also, unless your Electromancer is currently being bolted/pathed, always put spells on the stack and resolve them one at a time. Counterflux/Mindbreak Trap are around, and you don't want to get caught too badly by them (having an online Past in Flames is pretty great; remember that Increasing Vengeance is RR:Copy target spell twice under an active Past in Flames, since it doesn't care how much you paid for the flashback.

The deck has a lot of paths to victory, and figuring out while you're comboing how to get the storm count to 10 is part of the fun of the deck.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 18, 2013

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Sure.
Don't listen to this man. The deck is insanely fun and fast, and with all the card draw, you do fine. Ideally your opening hand should contain the following:
  • A red source
  • A blue source
  • Any card draw
  • Any card draw that is the same spell as the first one
  • Pyromancer's Ascension
  • Goblin Electromancer
Don't play the electromancer until turn 3; you want to at least get some value out of it. Ideally you want turn 1 Serum Visions, Turn 2 Ascension, turn 3 Electromancer into, say, Pyretic Ritual, Manamorphose, Serum Visions, Manamorphose (you are now online), Any card draw, continue going off forever. The best part about this is that, other than Serum Visions and Gitaxian Probe, you can actually keep going off at instant speed after they bolt your Electromancer. You can also bait them with Electromancer if you have 2 in hand to get the free land off of Path to Exile.

Once your Pyromancer's Ascension is online, your focus is Manamorphose -> Any other Card Draw -> Rituals. Eventually, you hit Past in Flames, at which point comboing is a fait accompli. Also, Desperate Ritual is really, really good if you can get two in hand and 3 mana to splice it, as you then can cast it twice and immediately have all the mana you'll ever need.

Game 2, bring in Empty the Warrens for Grapeshot, as you'll be seeing Leyline of Sanctity and/or Witchbane Orb, and swinging for 36 is pretty cool. Also, "Slaughter Games for Grapeshot" is absolutely hilarious in that situation. Some people like Goblin Bushwhacker to swing that turn, others figure they can wait a turn to swing if there's no Pyroclasm potential.

There are a few troublesome cards (Surgical Extraction is a bugaboo for sure) but with Storm (as all combo decks), honestly you just have to go off and "make them have it." Sometimes they do, but most of the time when you go off turn 3-4, they just don't have it.

Also, unless your Electromancer is currently being bolted/pathed, always put spells on the stack and resolve them one at a time. Counterflux/Mindbreak Trap are around, and you don't want to get caught too badly by them (having an online Past in Flames is pretty great; remember that Increasing Vengeance is RR:Copy target spell twice under an active Past in Flames, since it doesn't care how much you paid for the flashback.

The deck has a lot of paths to victory, and figuring out while you're comboing how to get the storm count to 10 is part of the fun of the deck.

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful to have someone with more experience explain how the deck works and what you should be looking for when you're digging for spells. Thanks :)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

I thought Soul Sisters was older.

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010
So while looking for relatively-budget modern decks, I came across this neat-looking Tron deck that is basically mono-artifacts with a light blue splash. It seems really sweet, and a lot less linear than the typical tron deck. I'm guessing the main win condition is giving a Kuldotha Forgemaster haste with Lightning Greaves, and then searching out an enormous artifact creature that best fits the situation. There's also Master Transmuter (who also seems great with Lightning Greaves) shenanigans, and a lot of other sweet interactions. Here's the decklist I'm looking at:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Inkwell Leviathan
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
4 Lodestone Golem
2 Master Transmuter
1 Myr Battlesphere
4 Palladium Myr
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Platinum Angel
2 Sundering Titan

4 Azorius Signet
4 Expedition Map
4 Lightning Greaves
3 Relic of Progenitus
4 Trinisphere

4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Island
1 Plains
2 Tectonic Edge
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower

Display deck statistics

It looks like a lot of fun, but I do have some concerns with it. The land count seems really low, although I guess the Palladium Myrs help with that. And can someone explain to me the four main-deck Trinispheres? Are they just a concession to the aggro/storm decks in the format? I'm sure it's a good card, but four in the main deck seem odd. Same case with the three main-deck relics.

Anyway, I think this type of deck seems really sweet. It's a bizzarre twist on the more typical blue Tron lists, and while it probably isn't as reliable, it looks much more exciting and versatile. If I end up putting it together I'd probably take out the Blightsteel Colossus, just because I am not a big fan of the card. I also thought about adding in something like a few Thirst for Knowledges, but that might be a bit hard on the mana. If any of you have any experience with this sort of deck I'd like to hear from you. Any suggestions would be great, I'm familiar with modern as an outsider, but have little experience actually playing it. This deck just looks like a lot of fun, and a decent budget option to get into the format.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful to have someone with more experience explain how the deck works and what you should be looking for when you're digging for spells. Thanks :)

One of the biggest things you have to learn in Finkelstorm is when you want to see cards. You want 1 Pyromancer's Ascension immediately, you want a Past in Flames relatively quickly, but don't need it. You also want to pay attention to how to fill your graveyard with spells without doing something stupid like casting two Gitaxian Probes before sticking the Pyromancer's Ascension.

Desperate Ravings is also a card that you need to play smart. It's one of the few instants you want to play before making your land drop for the turn, because then you can maximize the chance you ditch something like a land and minimize the chance of hitting something important.

One change I've made is to run Telling Time in place of Sleight of Hand. I find the instant speed and extra digging easily offsets the extra (1) in the cost, which is completely negated by a single Goblin Electromancer.

Also, if you're in trouble, don't be afraid to do something like storm for 3 and then Grapeshot 4 at, say, Noble Hierarch, Noble Hierarch, Glistener Elf. It does wonders to buy you the time to craft an epically stormable hand, and you're just gonna flash back/copy Grapeshot anyway.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

One of the biggest things you have to learn in Finkelstorm is when you want to see cards. You want 1 Pyromancer's Ascension immediately, you want a Past in Flames relatively quickly, but don't need it. You also want to pay attention to how to fill your graveyard with spells without doing something stupid like casting two Gitaxian Probes before sticking the Pyromancer's Ascension.

Desperate Ravings is also a card that you need to play smart. It's one of the few instants you want to play before making your land drop for the turn, because then you can maximize the chance you ditch something like a land and minimize the chance of hitting something important.

One change I've made is to run Telling Time in place of Sleight of Hand. I find the instant speed and extra digging easily offsets the extra (1) in the cost, which is completely negated by a single Goblin Electromancer.

Also, if you're in trouble, don't be afraid to do something like storm for 3 and then Grapeshot 4 at, say, Noble Hierarch, Noble Hierarch, Glistener Elf. It does wonders to buy you the time to craft an epically stormable hand, and you're just gonna flash back/copy Grapeshot anyway.

Yeah, I can definitely see how that would be a good idea. I was actually thinking of removing the one Peer through Depths with an epic experiment; I think that it would be very strong as a one of, because a couple of times I've found myself with a massive amount of mana and nothing to do with it, and it just seems like a good way to sink a bunch of excess mana. What do you think of this idea?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how that would be a good idea. I was actually thinking of removing the one Peer through Depths with an epic experiment; I think that it would be very strong as a one of, because a couple of times I've found myself with a massive amount of mana and nothing to do with it, and it just seems like a good way to sink a bunch of excess mana. What do you think of this idea?

The Epic Experiments version of Storm is a whole other deck. Trust me, there will be times when your storm count hits 25 but you still haven't seen a Grapeshot, and you'll be glad you can dig 10 cards for almost no mana. Just - build (or proxy) the deck as Finkel had it and goldfish it 100 times to get an idea of why certain cards are in there before you go mucking with it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

The Epic Experiments version of Storm is a whole other deck. Trust me, there will be times when your storm count hits 25 but you still haven't seen a Grapeshot, and you'll be glad you can dig 10 cards for almost no mana. Just - build (or proxy) the deck as Finkel had it and goldfish it 100 times to get an idea of why certain cards are in there before you go mucking with it.

Alright, sounds like a good idea.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

flash back/copy Grapeshot anyway.
Just want to clarify that copying grapeshot does basically nothing. Storm only triggers when cast and PA or IV copies are not cast but placed directly on the stack. Copying a grapeshot only adds 1 damage.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Is Regeneration really an issue in Modern? I'm grabbing the last few pieces I need for a deck, and can't find decently priced Wrath of Gods, and was wondering if Day of Judgment is good enough. I can't really think of any regeneration creatures used in modern, but I also don't have a ton of experience with the format.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Regenerators I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Thrun
Experiment one
Varolz

Uhhhh.... welding jar??

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I think you'd be fine with DoJ, since you're in white and if something regenerates like Lotleth Troll you have Path. If it's a Thrun, you're going to have a seriously difficult time with it, though. But looking at the top 16 decklists of GP Portland, it looks like nobody really plays Thrun anymore. This is probably because straight control isn't that amazing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What do you consider decently priced? A look at TCGPlayer suggests to me that moderately played Wrath of Gods start at $4-5. That seems like chump change compared to the overall price tag of any deck besides I guess budget aggro.

I mean, for the most part I agree with AlphaKeny, but I would really hate to auto-lose to a random Thrun or one of the Golgari trolls that I didn't have a Path for, just because I didn't want to spend $16 or less additional on a deck that I imagine is already in the hundreds of dollars.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It depends on the edition that you want. You can get a set of near mint copies from Seventh Edition on TCGPlayer for $6.49 each, and even less if you go with Fourth, Fifth, or Sixth. But if you're black border-or-bust, then it's going to be $9.44 for Tenth Edition copies. It's not like you need to have four copies, though.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Ah, I'm at a GP and all the shops are closed- throwing something together for the Modern event on Sunday (limited supplies/time frame). The only Wraths I saw were some extremely beat up older editions they were overcharging for (I think equivalent would be $15+. I like the modern frame/black border and cards not marked to hell, so I may wait until I can order some online to grab it. I was just curious if I could grab the Day of Judgements without sabotaging my deck too much.

Thanks for the help!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If I wanted to maybe get into Modern (or at least build a couple of halfway-decent Modern decks to whip out at the LGS once or twice a month), but haven't really played or purchased Magic products since Mirrodin Block Pt. 1, what would be the best way to build up a card stockpile to do that? I figured I could start by seeing which cards from my old collection got reprinted post-8th Edition so I know what I have to work with, but I feel like at some point I'll just have to pick a deck/archetype that I like and buy some of the key singles, not to mention the money needed for a competitive manabase (hurry up and reprint the allied fetchlands Wizards, I actually have some of those! :v:) FWIW I bought a U/R pre-con from one of the recent coresets on a lark and played around with tweaking its contents, so maybe I'll start with that?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

C-Euro posted:

If I wanted to maybe get into Modern (or at least build a couple of halfway-decent Modern decks to whip out at the LGS once or twice a month), but haven't really played or purchased Magic products since Mirrodin Block Pt. 1, what would be the best way to build up a card stockpile to do that? I figured I could start by seeing which cards from my old collection got reprinted post-8th Edition so I know what I have to work with, but I feel like at some point I'll just have to pick a deck/archetype that I like and buy some of the key singles, not to mention the money needed for a competitive manabase (hurry up and reprint the allied fetchlands Wizards, I actually have some of those! :v:) FWIW I bought a U/R pre-con from one of the recent coresets on a lark and played around with tweaking its contents, so maybe I'll start with that?

Honestly, you probably just want to buy into a deck. From there, I would start picking up staples.
- Shocklands
- Fetchlands
- Scars fastlands
- Snapcaster Mage
- Tarmogoyf
- Dark Confidant
- Thoughtseize
- Path to Exile
- Kiki-Jiki
- Vendillion Clique
- Cryptic Command
- Remand
etc.

Burn is always a good choice to buy into. Living End is also a pretty fun deck, but it can be hated out pretty easily. You may also want to look into Mono-Blue Tron.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm new to Modern, and have been working on acquiring cards for BW Tokens, BW Martyr Proc, and Mono-W Soul Sisters. Just finding a deck you like and going for it is probably going to be the best answer. After the modern tournament today though, I'm really wishing I had something more aggressive.

Only 14 people showed up to the Modern event at GP Bangkok- which fortunately meant even in last place I'd still walk away with enough to make my entry fee back. Prizes went down to like the top 24 or 32, can't recall. Judges decided to keep the prize payout as posted, and then kept the extra prizes that there weren't enough players for, for themselves.

Over the weekend I'd seen Tron, Affinity, and a couple other decks being played when I was walking around the place, so I tried to focus my sideboard slots on things like Ghost Quarters, Kataki, Stony Silence, etc. Turns out this was 100% a mistake-

2 Infect Players
1 GW Hatebears
1 GWB Reanimator
3 Jund
2 UWR Control
1 Gargadon-Balance
1 Glass Cannon Griselbrand
1 U/R Faeries
1 RDW
And my BW Martyr-Proc

First match against Infect was a disaster of epic proportions, and it was all I could do to prolong the game with removal, wraths, and ghost quarters to stop the infection. In the end I never got the pieces for my own aggro or the vizkopa/martyr on the board. 0-2

Second match against Glass Cannon Griselbrand. Turn 3 Emrakul. Game two, Turn 3 Emrakul. 0-2

Third match against Gargadon. Had no idea what to expect and soon found myself with no lands. My sideboard options finally proved themselves useful until the Stony Silence got taken off. I was able to consistently wait out the Gargadon in game 2, and hold back a plains in my hand to Path it. Opponent resolved 3 Restore Balances, but I was able to keep afloat and took him down with Lingering Souls slowly but surely. Third game, all his artifacts became creatures and the most recent balance had left me with no lands to play Wrath. Still, this was the only matchup I thought I did decently against. 1-2

Fourth match was a buy because I am literally the worst player, and then Fifth match was against U/R Faeries. I basically was incapable of resolving any spells past the first turn. Put up a better fight in the second game, but still managed to lose it by mistakenly targeting dudes who the Faerie Lord gave Shroud. 0-2

I had a lot of fun, and enjoyed playing my deck despite the fact it was heavily, heavily outmatched. The RDW player wasn't playing anything far off from Standard, and still managed to go a solid 2-2 that I saw before dropping. After watching it in action, I'm considering putting together Burn or RDW as a secondary deck.

TL;DR I am a terrible Modern Player. Please help me out with learning how to sideboard properly/broadly against a wide range of opponents.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

Honestly, you probably just want to buy into a deck. From there, I would start picking up staples.
- Shocklands
- Fetchlands
- Scars fastlands
- Snapcaster Mage
- Tarmogoyf
- Dark Confidant
- Thoughtseize
- Path to Exile
- Kiki-Jiki
- Vendillion Clique
- Cryptic Command
- Remand
etc.

Burn is always a good choice to buy into. Living End is also a pretty fun deck, but it can be hated out pretty easily. You may also want to look into Mono-Blue Tron.

Yikes, would I really need the big money (non-Land) cards to just compete at a LGS in Bumblefuck, USA? Or is it more of a "pick these up when you can just to expand your options" type of deal? I just want to be able to go out and have fun for now so I'll look into some of the more budget archetypes, what's a common Burn decklist (or, more generally, a good database for looking up Modern decklists)?

E: Is RDW (Red Deck Wins) the same as Burn?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 23, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
https://mtgtop8.com has the best database of decks for Modern.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If you played during the first mirrodin block, you might have the start of an affinity/robots deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Yikes, would I really need the big money (non-Land) cards to just compete at a LGS in Bumblefuck, USA? Or is it more of a "pick these up when you can just to expand your options" type of deal? I just want to be able to go out and have fun for now so I'll look into some of the more budget archetypes, what's a common Burn decklist (or, more generally, a good database for looking up Modern decklists)?

E: Is RDW (Red Deck Wins) the same as Burn?

Different money cards are valued differently. 'Goyf, while the biggest cost, only really goes in 1 deck (Jund). Bob goes in slightly more decks, but not every deck as a default. From that list, I'd prioritize this way:
  • Path to Exile, Lightning Helix, all other uncommons #1
  • Thoughtseize
  • Snapcaster Mage
  • Bob
  • Remand
  • Vendilion Clique
  • Cryptic Command
  • Tarmogoyf
  • Kiki-Jiki
But really, pick a deck first, then buy the cards for it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Most power cards in Modern are also power cards in Legacy, which is why they're valued so highly. You will have to treat it the same way as anyone that wants to seriously get into Legacy and to get power cards that you want slowly rather than all at once. Pick out a deck that you think you can afford and play that for a while. In the meantime, start getting expensive pieces for other decks that you think you would want to play with at one or two at a time every month or so.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

Most power cards in Modern are also power cards in Legacy, which is why they're valued so highly.

This is especially true of creatures. Deathrite, Bob, and Goyf can carry a creature base in either format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The "Timeshifted" cards from Time Spiral are Modern-legal, right?

• Locked thread