Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Dan Brown is a richer person and a more successful writer than anyone in this thread will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Roquentin posted:

Dan Brown is a richer person and a more successful writer than anyone in this thread will ever be.

Yep, and that totally makes the criticisms of his lovely, lovely writing invalid!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dan Brown is a more prolific Stephanie Meyer.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Roquentin posted:

Hey Dan, will your next book be about about a group of travellers who get murdered outside Rome? Can you call it The Boccaccio Bungle?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, and Paris Hilton is a New York Times Bestseller.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Peta posted:

And McDonald's sells more hamburgers than any other restaurant.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Jack Vance died.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

Jack Vance died.

Quite sad, but not unexpected. He was in his late 90s.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Aren't there NINE circles of hell, anyway?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yep.

I watched the little book trailer on amazon, it's 9 CIRCLES, 7 SINS, AND ONE something or another INFERNO.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm doing a lot of driving round France this week with my husband so I borrowed a copy of the audiobook to while away the miles. Brown sure does like to describe women's skin. I'm not very far in but I already annoyed over small petty poo poo like Langdon waking up in hospital with fresh stitches underneath his thick, luscious, full bodied hair. God forbid he has his head shaved for a surgical procedure or anything.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone been working on Khaled Hosseini's new novel? I loved The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns was my favorite novel for years, but I think I'm going to wait for it to come out in paperback. Hardback fiction always seemed weird to me, and I've got his other two books in paperback and I'm the kind of neurotic :spergin: who's bothered by mismatches of that sort.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Is there much interest in Alternate History stories here? I was thinking of throwing together a megathread about some of the best and worst of them but if it's only gonna be of interest to me and like three other goons I'm not sure if I'd bother.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'd be interested, but I'd mostly be lurking, I think.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
I hope this is the right thread about it, but I recently remembered a book that I read when I was young. It was a Pop-Up-Book about a family who visits a park and they get killed one by one by dinosaur-like creatures. It was black and white and it had a lot of movable parts depicting the deaths.

In the same vein I remember a Pop-Up-Book that my mother had, which depicts the White House under Reagan (i think). It was one huge Pop-Up with many little funny scenes in various rooms.
Sorry for beeing so vague, but it was a long time ago!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hello. I am looking for some George Herbert and amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-English-Poems-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140424555/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any reason no to get it?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Hello. I am looking for some George Herbert and amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-English-Poems-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140424555/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any reason no to get it?

It looks like a solid collection (over 100 pages of footnotes, although I hate how Penguin sticks them all in the back of the book) and Oxford doesn't seem to have their own volume, so go wild. I wouldn't overlook this Norton Critical Edition, though: it's doesn't seem as complete, but in addition to notes, it's packed with essays and criticism from heavy-hitters like Auden, Eliot and Coleridge which you might find interesting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like somebody at Amazon might have screwed up when they went to discount this book. It's funny because they're still selling the 2005 printing for $21, from which little is likely to have changed since it's a translation whose original author is now deceased.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

barkingclam posted:

It looks like a solid collection (over 100 pages of footnotes, although I hate how Penguin sticks them all in the back of the book) and Oxford doesn't seem to have their own volume, so go wild. I wouldn't overlook this Norton Critical Edition, though: it's doesn't seem as complete, but in addition to notes, it's packed with essays and criticism from heavy-hitters like Auden, Eliot and Coleridge which you might find interesting.

The one you linked has footnotes and annotations on the page instead of in the back correct? This is actually a pet peeve of mine so thank you for pointing it out.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm not sure about that particular one, but I know my other Norton editions keep the footnotes on the same page, so I assume it's the same.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
What's the best starting point for Jane Austen? Should I just stick to publication order? I'd like to begin with her major novels so that means Sense and Sensibility would be first up, then.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Persuasion's not a good palce to start, but I like Emma a lot.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Joramun posted:

What's the best starting point for Jane Austen? Should I just stick to publication order? I'd like to begin with her major novels so that means Sense and Sensibility would be first up, then.

I started with Pride and Prejudice and moved on to Sense and Sensibility. Honestly, it doesn't really matter, though I actually slightly preferred Sense and Sensibility.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Emma

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Even Jane Austen's freaking juvenilia is good, so it's pretty hard to go wrong.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but do the Pixar "Art Of" books ever go on sale? They're all sitting just under $30 CAD on amazon.ca and I've been wanting the Art Of Wall.E for too long now.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hey questions thread, I'm trying to find out whether or not an English version of the book Raketensklaven: Deutsche Forscher hinter rotem Stacheldraht by Kurt Magnus exists. I doubt it since I haven't been able to find anything, but the book is also obscure and I don't speak German so I figured it would be worth double checking. Help me, thread, you're my only hope!

Radio! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 25, 2013

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I just bought a trade paperback edition of A Feast for Crows, haven't read a single page and it's already one of the shittiest books I've ever bought. By which I mean the actual print quality and... assembly is just terrible. The paper feels like single ply gas station special toilet paper and just the binding is ridiculous with chunks of the book recessed.

In that last pic you can see the binding glue all over the top of the pages. It just feels like this book is going to disintegrate in a week or two.

I'm assuming they're just printing the gently caress out of these books as fast as they can trying to keep up with demand thanks to the show. Did I end up with a particularly bad copy (thanks, Amazon) or is this par on the course for the A Song of Ice and Fire paperbacks? Already kind of worried about missing pages from a few reviews I've seen here and there. :ohdear:

Wirth1000 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 26, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm assuming they're just printing the gently caress out of these books as fast as they can trying to keep up with demand thanks to the show. Did I end up with a particularly bad copy (thanks, Amazon) or is this par on the course for the A Song of Ice and Fire paperbacks? Already kind of worried about missing pages from a few reviews I've seen here and there. :ohdear:

It's not limited to ASoIaF books, just about anything in any format put out by a big publisher is going to have lovely binding and paper quality. It's a cost-saving measure. Low-quality paper is cheaper, and gluing pages together (instead of actually binding them with thread) is a lot cheaper. A book printed on high-quality paper with sewn pages will, with a minimum of care, last your entire life. However, a book like that is going to cost, at a minimum, twice as much as a standard hardcover, and only serious collectors are willing to shell out that kind of money.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I realize that. Pretty much all my books are mass market or trade paperbacks but none of them are as bad as this. At the very least all the pages for those other books are in line with each other.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wirth1000 posted:

I realize that. Pretty much all my books are mass market or trade paperbacks but none of them are as bad as this. At the very least all the pages for those other books are in line with each other.

I would imagine your guess that the sheer number of copies being churned out to keep up with demand is why that book is so much worse than others is correct.

That said, I have a few TPBs that look similar to that with regards to the pages not lining up. Hell, I even have some hardcovers that look like that (ignoring, of course, books with deckle edges).

If you're that concerned, Amazon has a pretty good exchange policy I believe, so you can at least see if it was just a particularly bad copy or if they're all like that.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

It's not limited to ASoIaF books, just about anything in any format put out by a big publisher is going to have lovely binding and paper quality.
Well, he's clearly pointing out a discrepancy between this and other TPBs, not between this and handsewn vellum.

Guy, just buy a different edition. Most books, there are VG+ hardcovers on amazon for less than the cost of the new paperback, or at least earlier editions, imports, etc. Take a look at the listed dimensions -- thickness isn't necessarily related to paper quality, but it correlates nine times out of ten.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Email the publisher, maybe it's just a quality control issue. I remember someone here a while back had a book printed with paper from the end of the roll, so there were stickers and crap with text printed over them, and I think the publisher exchanged it for another copy.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
Can someone explain why some hardcovers have smooth cut paper and some look like a dog was manning the paper cutter that day? The smooth cut seems so much nicer, I don't understand why some of them are rough.

I know this seems petty but seriously, I find it annoying.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's called deckle edged paper and it's supposed to look fancy. It's a pretty good sign that you've paid too much for that book.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
NOTICE: The Millions' Second-Half-of-2013 Book Preview has been posted.

Not having read over it yet, I expect the final Rakoff (next week!) and the new Pynchon will still top my list.

e: Ooh, nice -- Sergio de la Pava (The Naked Singularity)'s other self-published book, Personae, is getting a reissue now, too.

WoG fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 8, 2013

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Personally, I'm really looking forward to Adelle Waldman's The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. and the new Pynchon, although I'll probably hold off on that until I get around to reading Against the Day.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WoG posted:

NOTICE: The Millions' Second-Half-of-2013 Book Preview has been posted.

Not having read over it yet, I expect the final Rakoff (next week!) and the new Pynchon will still top my list.

e: Ooh, nice -- Sergio de la Pava (The Naked Singularity)'s other self-published book, Personae, is getting a reissue now, too.

Holy poo poo, how did I not hear that Jhumpa Lahiri was writing another novel?? She's by far my favorite fiction writer so I'm really looking forward to The Lowland.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

WoG posted:

I really liked Naked Singularity, but Personae is not very good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

LooseChanj told me I could post this in here. I have a two friends, one an author and the other an illustrator, who have published a couple of childrens books; Old Mother Hubbards Mixed Up Cupboard and Baking with Friends: Recipies, Tips and Fun Facts for Teaching Kids to Bake.

Both books did pretty well and what surpised them was the amount of positive freedback they recieved on the baking book. They decided to write a cookbook with a focus on foods from around the world. They hoped to use cooking as a method to help expose kids to other cultures while also having fun with their parents in the kitchen and stimulating conversation about the world we live in. Each recipe page has illistrations with facts on the culture and region the dish came from.

Unfortunately, they lost their publisher and instead of trying to shop the book around they've started a Kickstarter to try to fund the book themselves. They are more than halfway to their goal and have 12 days left. Donations have slowed down after the first big push by family and friends so I told Nick and Coleen I'd post this to a couple of book oriented friends and forums. If you have the time and could watch the little video they made and if it's a project you think is worthwhile and can toss a buck or two towards them we'd really appreciate it!

The Cultured Chef: An International Cookbook for Kids Kickstarter