Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xcore posted:

Just got notification that my first ever DSLR has been delivered.

Canon 7D, Nifty 50 and Canon 15-85mm.

Both excited as all hell and daunted by the amount of practice, reading and fundamentals that I am going to have to learn. Can't wait though!

That sounds like a ballin' kit to start out with.

...just don't drop the 50mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Or shake it too hard..

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Or shake it really hard, maybe the buzzing will stop

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I met my mom's boyfriend's grandson today (so, uh, potential nephew?) and he was having quite a bit of fun taking pictures P&S. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a really cheap older DSLR for him to play with? Like body + lens for a couple hundred bucks? I saw him moving around to take pictures of me from all sorts of different angles and I felt the need to teach him about the golden triangle.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I have a basic question about focal lengths and crop sensors. I heard that if you're getting a 50mm for a crop sensor body (like my D5100) you're better off getting a 35mm, since due to the crop it really functions as something like a 50mm (30mm times the 1.5 crop factor gets you about 52.5). I'm wondering if this only refers to the amount of a scene you'll be able to get in frame, or if it also affects lens distortion? I've been reading Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book (Vol. 1) where he recommends a focal length from about 85mm to 100mm as the sweet spots. If I were to get a new lens with the specific intentions of using it for portrait photography, would I still be looking for something in the neighborhood of those ranges, or would I actually be looking at something in the neighborhood of 55 to 70ish (85/1.5 and 100/1.5)?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boneitis posted:

Or shake it really hard, maybe the buzzing will stop

If you shake it too hard, you’ll kill the bees that power the autofocus.

If you drop it, the bees will escape.

The Dark Wind posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I have a basic question about focal lengths and crop sensors. I heard that if you're getting a 50mm for a crop sensor body (like my D5100) you're better off getting a 35mm, since due to the crop it really functions as something like a 50mm (30mm times the 1.5 crop factor gets you about 52.5). I'm wondering if this only refers to the amount of a scene you'll be able to get in frame, or if it also affects lens distortion? I've been reading Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book (Vol. 1) where he recommends a focal length from about 85mm to 100mm as the sweet spots. If I were to get a new lens with the specific intentions of using it for portrait photography, would I still be looking for something in the neighborhood of those ranges, or would I actually be looking at something in the neighborhood of 55 to 70ish (85/1.5 and 100/1.5)?

The “lens distortion” you’re talking about is caused by how close you are to the thing you’re photographing, not any property of the lens itself.

Don’t limit yourself to to 55–70 mm, though. You won’t find many lenses in that range. 50 mm and 85 mm are more standard focal lengths.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Platystemon posted:

If you shake it too hard, you’ll kill the bees that power the autofocus.

If you drop it, the bees will escape.

This is God's honest truth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also don't let your dog eat it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I met my mom's boyfriend's grandson today (so, uh, potential nephew?) and he was having quite a bit of fun taking pictures P&S. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a really cheap older DSLR for him to play with? Like body + lens for a couple hundred bucks? I saw him moving around to take pictures of me from all sorts of different angles and I felt the need to teach him about the golden triangle.

D40 and a kit lens.

The Dark Wind posted:

You are talking about this? http://www.lesjones.com/2011/06/15/effect-of-lens-focal-length-on-portraits/ if so, then yea you want to avoid 17mm for portraits in my opinion. Its a matter of look and feel and not a hard rule. Ive shot plenty of portraits on crop sensors with 35mm lenses all the way up as far as 300mm, you will be fine. Just rememeber that wider lenses will give you that odd look you see in teh example photos in the link above.

On crop bodies I still prefer an 85mm 1.8 through 200mm range for portraits. Going over my LR data, most of my portraits are done with an 85mm 1.4 and a 70-200 zoom.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Platystemon posted:

The “lens distortion” you’re talking about is caused by how close you are to the thing you’re photographing, not any property of the lens itself.

Don’t limit yourself to to 55–70 mm, though. You won’t find many lenses in that range. 50 mm and 85 mm are more standard focal lengths.

Exactly, and to elaborate, I think there is a lot of confusion between distortion due to flaws in the lens, either intentional as seen in a fisheye or just an artifact of production, and perspective distortion, which is the result of the relative distance between objects and the lens.

A 17mm doesn't by nature make someone look like they have a big nose. The impression of a big nose comes from the fact that in order to fill the frame, you have to get very close to them, which means that relative to the lens there is a much more significant distance between their nose and face than there would be from further away. If you stood further away and then cropped the image down, the perspective would appear as though the image had been shot with a longer lens.

So what that means is that it's germane to consider the "crop factor" when considering a focal length's likelihood of perspective distortion.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The simple answer: 50mm on crop will work great for portraits because you can get a fast, high-quality, bokehs-out-the-rear-element lens for :10bux: 2. Also it will be about the right field of view for getting heads at snapshot distance or something.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

It is absolutely possible. Look up whatever was the entry-level consumer DSLR from your manufacturer of choice from like 5 or 8 years ago (wikipedia), then feed some keywords into Craigslist/eBay/KEH/whatever. I am 100% certain you could pick up a functional starter kit built around a 7-year-old body + kit lens (plus probably some interesting accessories, like a couple of filters or a cheap flash or a nice bag) for less than $250.

Musket posted:

D40 and a kit lens.
This is a good example - KEH currently has a few Nikon D40 bodies for about $140-$180 (and their condition ratings are extremely conservative - EX+ for $160 is what a normal person might call "took it out of the box and shot 3 pictures of my cat").

Anything with a 6 megapickle sensor is going to be capable of producing images suitable for printing at sizes large enough to make good christmas/birthday/mother's day/whatever presents - 8x10 or 11x14 will be fine for showing off a budding photographer's growing skill and enthusiasm.

What I'm suggesting is throw in a gift certificate to his local print shop if you gift him a camera - you'd be guaranteeing yourself a place as "best quasi-uncle" for at least a few years.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Another inexpensive option is the Nikon D50 for one reason only, cheaper AF-D lenses will work with it in AF mode. :toot:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, if you like Canon you can pick up a 30D for under $200 as well usually, plus maybe another $200 for a nifty fifty + 18-55 kit lens. That's my current setup and it works pretty well.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Musket posted:

Another inexpensive option is the Nikon D50 for one reason only, cheaper AF-D lenses will work with it in AF mode. :toot:

i had a Nikon D50 as my first DSLR, and it's a really nice camera. only downside is shoddy low light performance, but what can you do with an 8 year old body.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
How much of an upgrade would this be compared to my Canon Rebel kit lens?

http://frederick.craigslist.org/pho/3841943418.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It wouldn't be.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

timeandtide posted:

How much of an upgrade would this be compared to my Canon Rebel kit lens?

http://frederick.craigslist.org/pho/3841943418.html

Man, I really wouldn't trust craigslist for anything camera related. It just seems too easy to get ripped off.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Man, I really wouldn't trust craigslist for anything camera related. It just seems too easy to get ripped off.

You could just look up what things are worth before you buy it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FasterThanLight posted:

You could just look up what things are worth before you buy it.

I suspect he was speaking more to gear that has something wrong with it, but may not be immediately obvious when you try it before you buy it. A CL seller has no obligation to deal with you once the sale is made. There's no feedback or warranty or anything so there's nothing you can do.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Need some first DSLR advice. My wife and I want to move past the pan and scan for family use. Should we simply pick up something like a T4i with the 18-55 kit lens and be done with it (to start?). Or, is it worth looking at something a generation or two older with a couple lenses for the around the same cost like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CCGZ9L0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1371224876&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

I'm going to pick up Understanding Exposure to learn a thing or two, but it will likely be an auto-only affair or close to it for my wife. Subjects will be our child and travels. I'd also like to take a stab at photographing airliners at the airport.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I suspect he was speaking more to gear that has something wrong with it, but may not be immediately obvious when you try it before you buy it. A CL seller has no obligation to deal with you once the sale is made. There's no feedback or warranty or anything so there's nothing you can do.

Yup, exactly. I was burned before on Craigslist buying a washer and dryer. Washer worked great, the dryer shat out on us two weeks later. Buyer beware, etc.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Understeer posted:

Need some first DSLR advice. My wife and I want to move past the pan and scan for family use. Should we simply pick up something like a T4i with the 18-55 kit lens and be done with it (to start?). Or, is it worth looking at something a generation or two older with a couple lenses for the around the same cost like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CCGZ9L0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1371224876&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

I'm going to pick up Understanding Exposure to learn a thing or two, but it will likely be an auto-only affair or close to it for my wife. Subjects will be our child and travels. I'd also like to take a stab at photographing airliners at the airport.
Understanding Exposure is a great book, even if you only shoot in P mode. It helps to understand WHY the camera is suggesting whatever settings for a given shot.

The most important comparison between the cameras you listed - Canon T4i vs. Nikon D3100 - is HOW THEY FEEL. Seriously. Go to a camera store and pick up each of those cameras and take some practice shots. Even if there's no memory card in it, the act of handling the camera and playing with it will massively inform you about what you want in a camera. Some cameras just feel better in your hands.

A very similar two-lens starter kit is available from any of the four main DSLR manufacturers, and it's a good place to start (once you decide which brand fits your fingers best). Any DSLR will easily meet your typical shooting conditions - children, travel snapshots, airplanes are all very standard kinds of things to photograph, don't worry about any camera falling down on any of those. Just get what feels right (honestly, I can't emphasize this enough - PICK UP THE CAMERA) and start shooting.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

ExecuDork posted:

The most important comparison between the cameras you listed - Canon T4i vs. Nikon D3100 - is HOW THEY FEEL. Seriously. Go to a camera store and pick up each of those cameras and take some practice shots. Even if there's no memory card in it, the act of handling the camera and playing with it will massively inform you about what you want in a camera. Some cameras just feel better in your hands.

A very similar two-lens starter kit is available from any of the four main DSLR manufacturers, and it's a good place to start (once you decide which brand fits your fingers best). Any DSLR will easily meet your typical shooting conditions - children, travel snapshots, airplanes are all very standard kinds of things to photograph, don't worry about any camera falling down on any of those. Just get what feels right (honestly, I can't emphasize this enough - PICK UP THE CAMERA) and start shooting.

This is so, so much the truth. The "right" first camera/DSLR for anyone is the one that feels best in your hands. Have a play with the thing, flick through the menus, try it in landscape and portrait orientation, caress it, feel it - both you and the missus - then pick the one that feels like an extension of your hand.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

efcso posted:

This is so, so much the truth. The "right" first camera/DSLR for anyone is the one that feels best in your hands. Have a play with the thing, flick through the menus, try it in landscape and portrait orientation, caress it, feel it - both you and the missus - then pick the one that feels like an extension of your hand.

Nikon lenses being righty-loosy, lefty-tighty will always feel goofy as all hell to me.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Nikon lenses being righty-loosy, lefty-tighty will always feel goofy as all hell to me.

Nikon lenses don't mount/dismount that way at all. :confused:

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

TheJeffers posted:

Nikon lenses don't mount/dismount that way at all. :confused:

They mount that way, the caps screw on and off that way, the zoom works that way. It's completely opposite to what anyone opening things in the US (dunno about other country's standards) has grown accustomed to.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mclifford82 posted:

They mount that way, the caps screw on and off that way, the zoom works that way. It's completely opposite to what anyone opening things in the US (dunno about other country's standards) has grown accustomed to.

I guess this is true but I never really associated it with tightening or loosening things, just "this is how you mount a lens on a Nikon". It was only weird for about a day coming from a system that mounts the other way.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

I think you are the odd man out on this, not Nikon. Weirdo :snoop:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

I think you are the odd man out on this, not Nikon. Weirdo :snoop:

Nikon has a backwards lens mount, admit it already.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Nikon has a backwards lens mount, admit it already.

YOU'ER BACKWARDS. Honestly I never really noticed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

YOU'ER BACKWARDS. Honestly I never really noticed.

I didn't really notice until I started adapting lenses, and then it was painfully apparent.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Don't Nikons have rear end-backwards zoom as well? As in you turn the lens left to zoom?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Headhunter posted:

Don't Nikons have rear end-backwards zoom as well? As in you turn the lens left to zoom?

Yes, if by “left” you mean anticlockwise for a greater focal length. This is true of focus and aperture as well, but don’t quote me on that last one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Yes, if by “left” you mean anticlockwise for a greater focal length. This is true of focus and aperture as well, but don’t quote me on that last one.

I think he means counter-clockwise, actually.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Commie bastard :911:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Boneitis posted:

Commie bastard :911:

No, really... Show me an American camera company that does cameras right. Ill wait.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Musket posted:

No, really... Show me an American camera company that does cameras right. Ill wait.

Show me an American camera company. Aren't they all Japanese (consumer-to-professional level) or German (weirdo overpriced status-symbol cameras riding a decades-out-of-date legacy reputation)? Plus Hasselblad, I guess.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Show me an American camera company. Aren't they all Japanese (consumer-to-professional level) or German (weirdo overpriced status-symbol cameras riding a decades-out-of-date legacy reputation)? Plus Hasselblad, I guess.

PhaseOne (which owns Leaf and Mamiya Digital) is Danish :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Show me an American camera company.
RED (if we're including cinema cameras), who I just noticed is headquartered up the street from me. I need to get a job there!

• Locked thread