Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
My client just showed me the trailer they've made for the game I've been working on for them, I think it's looking pretty nice.
It's Forces of Nature, basically a 2d side scrolling tower defence game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPYoysayXs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Anony Mouse posted:

Right, but where in the official rules does it say that?

From the official rules:

Harvest phase 3: Breeding posted:

Baby animals and parent animals may not be converted into Food immediately after the birth (for example, if you only have room for two animals of that type); they simply run away if they cannot be accommodated.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Argh, for the third time I wasn't trying to slaughter a parent or newborn. I know the rules, I've played dozens of games with very experienced people. The iOS game won't let you slaughter ANY animals in the Breeding phase, regardless of whether they would be a parent or newborn or not, which as far as I know is not explicitly restricted in the official rules.

Anyway, enough of that derail. I recently got the iOS version of Ascension (also by Playdek) and it's really well done. So far it includes two of the expansions (Return of the Fallen and Storm of Souls). The UI is good, the rules work perfectly, and it plays fast. Highly recommended if you like the original Ascension or deck-building games in general. Hopefully they'll do a version of Dominion too!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Moop Moop posted:

There's not an ipad version of this is there?

Noooope. The Quest is a port of old rear end Palm pilot software. They have produced new expansions since, but I wouldn't expect them to rejigger their assets to fit the iPad.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Dear Lorini and also thread at large, is there a master list of iOS versions of actual boardgames somewhere? I buy corporeal versions, but I must begin to prepare my Ark (need access to Agricola when I transcend my physical form by entering the spirit world / recreating my self as a being of pure energy) and, also, because I effectively don't want to buy Dominant Species twice again.

Check out the OP for the iOS board games thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

Noooope. The Quest is a port of old rear end Palm pilot software. They have produced new expansions since, but I wouldn't expect them to rejigger their assets to fit the iPad.

They just released an update to accommodate some new expansion which forced them to require IOS5 or something like that. Previously it worked just fine on my old rear end IOS 3.whatever 2nd gen iPod. That's one app file I sure as poo poo saved the gently caress out of. Gonna keep Questing on the crapper forever.

It works OK on the iPad if you 2x it though (at least the previous version did, dunno about this one) albeit a touch uglier.

I'm guessing this update is the reason for killing off the Lite version too.

edit:

Juc66 posted:

My client just showed me the trailer they've made for the game I've been working on for them, I think it's looking pretty nice.

Did they have an older version that used god awful 3d graphics? I have vague memories of playing something that felt exactly like that and oh my god it sucked so hard.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

clams posted:

I had all the Noble Eagle bloodline traits except for the one that gives +6 defense against clanless(?). Possibly you have to have all of those traits to get into the council, I'll try that next time. I don't remember if I got a level 13 Eagle trait, do you remember what it is?

Curious why you think that traitline is a waste. Most of them are +dominance which I find to be the most useful combat stat. I have a much easier time getting over the level 7-8 hump with Eagle clan than anyone else. Around 2/3-3/4 of the enemies you fight tend to be either clanless or one of the other major clans and the bonuses are high enough that I don't think their conditionality is enough of a reason to pass on them.

The conditionality, basically. This may be down to having spent a series of playthroughs desperately trying to beat the invasions multiquest chain, which involves a lot of foreigners - never got past futile attempts to explain to the level 15 head of the Bear clan why letting the invaders burn our fields before fighting them might have drawbacks.

Don't know if there is a level 13 Eagle trait, even if there is, might not have unlocked it yet - just noticed that trait level prereqs cluster at 1, 4, 8, 13 (and that's probably it - the various Legendary X traits at level 13 look like capstones).

What builds do you favor? Spent a while on a silver-focused strategy, exploiting the fact that farmer/fisher/smith/hunter all unlock building upgrades, making them highly efficient trait picks - but then you lose out on getting far down any particular chain. Generally go either all +dominance or all +glory for gear, with one of the +2 def when blocking shields.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did they have an older version that used god awful 3d graphics? I have vague memories of playing something that felt exactly like that and oh my god it sucked so hard.

I'd be surprised if they did, my clients are 2 brothers and their cousin and as far as I can tell this is their very first journey into the world of vidya games.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
In Warhammer Quest, is it predetermined that certain classes don't get a new skill and only get negligible stat upgrades at certain level ups or is it that another outcome of the "random skill selector" feature? Either way, drat, what a bummer. No new ability, a whopping +2 wounds, and what the hell's an Ironbreaker supposed to do with an extra ballistic attack anyway?

I'm liking this game overall, but I'm a little fuzzy on these random encounters. I mean, that they happen randomly is cool; but suddenly going from dictating every move and action your characters make to having little to no control over your them as they play out randomly is sort of obnoxious, though. It reminds me of getting suckered into playing D&D with my nephews when they were little.

DM: "So your guy sees this dude up ahead, he's all jacked up and crawling on the floor moaning and whining for help..."
Me: "Alright, umm... well, is he like visibly injured or woun-"
DM: "- and your guy's all worried and rushes over there and gets right down on his knees, cradling him in his arms all close, right? And only THEN he notices the dude's, like, totally covered in blisters and sores and gross stuff. And get this: they're so huge and pus-filled that one spontaneously just ERUPTS right in your warrior's face while he was getting ready to give mouth-to-mouth!! Ok, so now roll to see if you get infected."
Me: "...wait, what? Why would anyone do literally any part of that, especially in some creepy hell-hole of a dungeon? That doesn't even-"
"DM: "Oh jeez, nevermind, Uncle Digger. I rolled for you. Aaaand.... you got infected with the plague. Wow I can't believe you totally fell for it hahahaha!"
Me: "...Critical hit: Bedtime. Checkmate."

The ones in town are even worse. "A total stranger hands your super smart wizard guy a big glass of weird liquid as he's walking down the street. So of course he drinks it all, immediately, in one go. He passes out and is mugged. Sucks to be you." Alrighty.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

Also see http://ipadboardgames.org/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Draile posted:

I got this for a dollar a while back and found it to be utterly unplayable because the controls did not translate at all to a touchscreen. I guess I'm not alone in thinking that?

Absolutely not! I think most people bought it for the "holy gently caress it's GTA on my phone!" novelty factor, because yeah they're mostly unplayable. Yes, lets design controls that require three thumbs at once :downs:

Vice City at least is a bit better about it, and it's much better on an iPad than an iPhone. That said, none of this will stop me buying San Andreas when that inevitably gets released on iOS as well :v:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Battle Academy just got its first price drop that I'm aware of, down to $9.99. I'm usually not too big on these types of games, but after all the praise I have read for it both here and other places at that price I couldn't say no.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Anyone else played through Ace Attorney HD yet? I'm on Rise From the Ashes (case 5 of game 1), and I think I've hit a bug.

I'm at the part where you are supposed to present Edgeworth's Parking Stub to show how Gant moved the body, but it's not in my Court Record anymore. :( I can't find anything about this bug online so I'm wondering if it's just me.

e: It seems they changed the item I needed to present from the DS version :v: Nevermind. Present the screwdriver.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Digger-254 posted:

I'm liking this game overall, but I'm a little fuzzy on these random encounters. I mean, that they happen randomly is cool; but suddenly going from dictating every move and action your characters make to having little to no control over your them as they play out randomly is sort of obnoxious, though. It reminds me of getting suckered into playing D&D with my nephews when they were little.
It's because it's a combat board game with persistent character growth, not an RPG.

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.

sizuka2 posted:

What builds do you favor? Spent a while on a silver-focused strategy, exploiting the fact that farmer/fisher/smith/hunter all unlock building upgrades, making them highly efficient trait picks - but then you lose out on getting far down any particular chain. Generally go either all +dominance or all +glory for gear, with one of the +2 def when blocking shields.

I've been starting with the Trader perk, getting the storage building asap then doing the first area (Thickwood?) which gives you enough silver to purchase all the building upgrades. The 750/800 silver ones that unlock together are the first ones I have to wait to get.

My standard build is to then get the Freed Slave/Well Dressed/Eagle Clan perks. I go back and forth on whether the fighting style trees are worth it. When I'm not Eagle clan I'll usually try to get several points in one of them.

Usually try to use all +glory gear till around level 9 then switch to dominance. I've been switching around between the +6 Shield Bash/+2 Def when blocking/+1 Def shields and haven't noticed a huge difference.

webmeister posted:

Absolutely not! I think most people bought it for the "holy gently caress it's GTA on my phone!" novelty factor, because yeah they're mostly unplayable. Yes, lets design controls that require three thumbs at once :downs:

Vice City at least is a bit better about it, and it's much better on an iPad than an iPhone. That said, none of this will stop me buying San Andreas when that inevitably gets released on iOS as well :v:

Yeah, it takes a little getting used to but Vice City controls really well on my iPad. Except for flying vehicles. Oh god the radio-controlled airplane mission... :suicide:

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
On Warhammer Quest, if you level up and don't like your stats & ability, you can always quit the game before clicking on the "back" button and get a chance to reroll. AFAIK, the only things that are randomly generated are wounds, power points, and spells/abilities.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Duro posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Scurvy Scallywags, but as someone that doesn't usually play match-3 games, I'm getting my rear end kicked....

I never have enough swords to kill all the enemies and my ways of defending (running away, shooting them, creating more swords from gold) never recharge quickly enough....

Now that I've played this a bunch more, the main strategy comes in how you run away long enough to build up swords - because you control over which direction the replacement blocks come in from. So every time you swap blocks, you can slide in either direction, which means that you can push away enemies and keep yourself at arms length long enough for your escapes to recharge.

It took me ages to stop just automatically taking 4-matches, in general moving enemies away from you or bunching them up is better than taking more blocks. Taking 4 or 5 rocks is pointless unless it splits things up for you. In general, take matches outside yourself and the enemies, and swipe towards the centre.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh hey, Sword and Glory is a Touch Arcade feature article.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Somebody help me with Warhammer Quest.

I've finished the quests in first 3 cities, then I'm stuck. I can't go anywhere else! Do I need to buy something extra?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

xiw posted:

Now that I've played this a bunch more, the main strategy comes in how you run away long enough to build up swords - because you control over which direction the replacement blocks come in from. So every time you swap blocks, you can slide in either direction, which means that you can push away enemies and keep yourself at arms length long enough for your escapes to recharge.

It took me ages to stop just automatically taking 4-matches, in general moving enemies away from you or bunching them up is better than taking more blocks. Taking 4 or 5 rocks is pointless unless it splits things up for you. In general, take matches outside yourself and the enemies, and swipe towards the centre.

Also, a 5-match of swords in this shape:
XXX
X
X
Gives you much, much more power than even a 5-match in a straight line, plus leaves you a super power tile. If you can, always aim for this or at least a 4-match.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Aesis posted:

Somebody help me with Warhammer Quest.

I've finished the quests in first 3 cities, then I'm stuck. I can't go anywhere else! Do I need to buy something extra?

Just do white quests between your current city and any locked settlement. You don't even need to do the main story quests, it's possible to unlock all the settlements before doing a single one. Once you clear the side dungeon it should give you the option to travel onwards rather than travel back.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

Digger-254 posted:

In Warhammer Quest, is it predetermined that certain classes don't get a new skill and only get negligible stat upgrades at certain level ups or is it that another outcome of the "random skill selector" feature? Either way, drat, what a bummer. No new ability, a whopping +2 wounds, and what the hell's an Ironbreaker supposed to do with an extra ballistic attack anyway?

The levels at which a class gets a (random) skill are indeed predetermined - you can look at them on a tab of the inventory screen.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Pocket Tactics is reporting that XCOM drops this week for $20. No news yet on filesize or whether it includes the hats DLC. (Seriously the game is better with the extra hats and armour options.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gently caress all these awesome iPad games need to stop coming out so close to one another.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Parkingtigers posted:

Pocket Tactics is reporting that XCOM drops this week for $20. No news yet on filesize or whether it includes the hats DLC. (Seriously the game is better with the extra hats and armour options.)

The post in question: http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/17/flip-your-chryssalid-xcom-for-ios-hits-this-week/

I definitely want to know how limited the maps are. That was the PC version's biggest weakness. Brilliant game, though.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

UncleSmoothie posted:

The post in question: http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/17/flip-your-chryssalid-xcom-for-ios-hits-this-week/

I definitely want to know how limited the maps are. That was the PC version's biggest weakness. Brilliant game, though.

Can someone tell me if this game uses a virtual D-pad? I've never played an XCOM game on any platform and I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I can't stand virtual D-pads.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Juc66 posted:

The animation does not look good. Is this an After Effects mockup of how the game will run?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

UncleSmoothie posted:

I had no idea this was going to be universal. I don't know how powerful the phone/touch is vs. the ipad, but I'm pretty surprised they can get this running on a phone. I hope the controls aren't terrible.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

foobar posted:

Can someone tell me if this game uses a virtual D-pad? I've never played an XCOM game on any platform and I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I can't stand virtual D-pads.

Really doubtful, it's a turn-based strategy game -- unless they severely gently caress it up, a good touchscreen interface is gonna be at least as good as mouse & keyboard controls and probably way better than using a controller/analog stick.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kazy posted:

Anyone else played through Ace Attorney HD yet? I'm on Rise From the Ashes (case 5 of game 1), and I think I've hit a bug.

I'm at the part where you are supposed to present Edgeworth's Parking Stub to show how Gant moved the body, but it's not in my Court Record anymore. :( I can't find anything about this bug online so I'm wondering if it's just me.

e: It seems they changed the item I needed to present from the DS version :v: Nevermind. Present the screwdriver.

Something I've noticed: At the end of cases where you sometimes have to present an item to cheer people up, like (AA1, Case 4) when you show Mia the evidence she grabs from von Karma, the game seems to only give you the option of the correct item and your badge. I swear in the DS versions you had to actually figure out what to present from all the evidence?

E: I'm having a problem with Scurvy Scallywags: Every time I minimise the game and try to go back into it, it loads up again rather than jumping in where I left it?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

E: I'm having a problem with Scurvy Scallywags: Every time I minimise the game and try to go back into it, it loads up again rather than jumping in where I left it?

The game does this to check on Cloud syncs. If you open up your character it'll jump back where you left it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
XCom (And Civ V when that happens) controls are going to be brilliant like Frozen Synapse's were. Both games already work fantastically well over splashtop or VNC, it's just a case of turning context sensitive left/right clicks into buttons on the gui.

*edit* Most of Xcom's orders already are buttons on the pc interface.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

FlashBangBob posted:

The game does this to check on Cloud syncs. If you open up your character it'll jump back where you left it.

Is there any way to disable this? I tend to play games when I'm doing other things so having to load the whole game again every few turns is infuriating.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

foobar posted:

Yeah, as goferchan said, there's pretty much no way in hell this will have a virtual d-pad. Watch a gameplay video of XCOM on YouTube and you'll see how unlikely that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ighuZOpTc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Juc66 posted:

I'd be surprised if they did, my clients are 2 brothers and their cousin and as far as I can tell this is their very first journey into the world of vidya games.

Found it: http://www.appshopper.com/games/plants-war

It's called Plants War and it's an aaaaaaawwwwful DOTA clone.

Not saying your clients game is this, or that it represents what your clients are doing, but it's what I was reminded of when I saw that clip. I don't know, maybe something to be aware of? Maybe not?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The animation does not look good. Is this an After Effects mockup of how the game will run?

The big animated bits aren't in-game, but the thing that was in the ipad window was in-game footage of a build from a few weeks back that was running slow.
One of my clients is a professional 2d animator (for tv, not games) so however it looks I assume is how he wants it to look, barring performance issues.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Found it: http://www.appshopper.com/games/plants-war

It's called Plants War and it's an aaaaaaawwwwful DOTA clone.

Not saying your clients game is this, or that it represents what your clients are doing, but it's what I was reminded of when I saw that clip. I don't know, maybe something to be aware of? Maybe not?

Ah it's probably something to know, I imagine you won't be the only person to compare both games.
The only downside is that now I want to play that other game, but I'm going into it knowing it's terrible, and that doesn't always help as can be seen by anybody who's watched the starwars holiday special.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

X-com Facebook posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown for iOS is out this week, Thursday, June 20th. Get ready to play the complete XCOM experience, optimized for the touch interface of iOS devices.

Complete list of supported iOS devices includes the iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5th Generation.

While not included at launch on June 20th, the popular head-to-head multiplayer mode in XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be added to iOS at a later date as a free update.

It will be playable on iPhone. gently caress. Yes.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Yeah, as goferchan said, there's pretty much no way in hell this will have a virtual d-pad. Watch a gameplay video of XCOM on YouTube and you'll see how unlikely that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ighuZOpTc

It doesn't. Beyond the fact that it would make no sense to use a virtual DPAD, there is a video of Jake Soloman playing it and you just click on stuff like you would with a mouse.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 17, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

NESguerilla posted:

It will be playable on iPhone. gently caress. Yes.

And probably 3gb in size. Hope you have 6gb free!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

And probably 3gb in size. Hope you have 6gb free!

You'd need like 7.5 free for 3gb in size.

Stop hoarding games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"Is This the First iOS 7-Compatible MFi Gaming Controller?"

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/first_ios_7compatible_mfi_gaming_controller

Looks fantastic if a little big. I personally want a bluetooth one to use with my ipad.

• Locked thread