Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

AllanGordon posted:

Is this the first time intel has delayed a die shrink?

And could this mean we should only hope to see a die shrink every 3 years now instead of 2?

Past 14nm, things get weird. Leaving the macro-scale physics world long behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't want to delay, I want leapfrog from Sandy Bride to Skylake :)

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
22nm is what, like only 100-200 times the size of a single atom? And things start to get crazy way before getting down to the size of atoms. They've got to be running up fast against a physical barrier to any continued process shrinkage.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
There's credible research stretching below 5nm, tunneling was first seen at 45nm and above, and this is all the same doom and gloom people were spreading back then.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

zeroprime posted:

They've got to be running up fast against a physical barrier to any continued process shrinkage.

They've been running into those and working around them for a long time.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

There's credible research stretching below 5nm, tunneling was first seen at 45nm and above, and this is all the same doom and gloom people were spreading back then.

Maybe you misunderstand me, maybe I just didn't give much to go on with one sentence - I'm not saying Intel can't overcome the challenges related to next process shrink, or the ones after that. At some point, though, current silicon-based process lithography, including developments as it goes, has got to hit a wall. I'm very interested in seeing what's going to happen at that point.

To me it's way more exciting than it is doom and gloom. Something's gonna happen, just a question of what and when :) I see no reason to be pessimistic.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Agreed posted:

Maybe you misunderstand me, maybe I just didn't give much to go on with one sentence - I'm not saying Intel can't overcome the challenges related to next process shrink, or the ones after that. At some point, though, current silicon-based process lithography, including developments as it goes, has got to hit a wall. I'm very interested in seeing what's going to happen at that point.

To me it's way more exciting than it is doom and gloom. Something's gonna happen, just a question of what and when :) I see no reason to be pessimistic.

Amen; sometimes the very best in creativity happens when you've got constraints (and also a fuckoff massive R&D budget). We're going to be in very exciting times soon enough.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
14nm is that wall. At that point, you've got monolayers of silicon atoms in the design.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the most likely solution?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Stop using silicon.
Which in itself is a hell of a thing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm not super technical so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but once they do hit this technological barrier, is it absurd to think that from a cost perspective they might just decide that those people who really demand the fastest processors will pay more and just live with larger chips? I can't help but think that my PC case is mostly empty and if cpu's were twice the size I wouldn't ever notice once I put it together. I understand for mobile devices they'd want things small and efficient, and also to decrease production costs, but the companies who need massive teraflops will pay for the privilege until a suitable technology becomes cheaper than the old way, right?

Edit: What I'm suggesting is that profit motives might actually delay that next big breakthrough instead of foster it, if it is in fact cheaper to make larger chips.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
All the major players are planning on sticking to silicon through 7nm. 5nm could be a different story.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If CPUs were twice the size, their own operating heat would destroy them instantly. The density on these things is enormous and the surface area very small.

The 386DX topped out at about 4W of power to do what it did. Today's equivalent performance tier uses 80 to 150W of power. Heat has been the fundamental limit of current CPU technology for almost a decade now. Without further process shrinks, we will hit a compute density wall, after which bigger chips won't solve any problems.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

davebo posted:

I understand for mobile devices they'd want things small and efficient, and also to decrease production costs, but the companies who need massive teraflops will pay for the privilege until a suitable technology becomes cheaper than the old way, right?

Edit: What I'm suggesting is that profit motives might actually delay that next big breakthrough instead of foster it, if it is in fact cheaper to make larger chips.

Part of what's driving Intel so hard to smaller process nodes is energy efficiency, not just computational power. I don't have a link to substantiate this, but in a server farm, cooling the servers is their largest expense. Compared to that, the cost of the CPUs is incredibly minuscule. Yes, they'll want more powerful CPUs, but they also want them in a lower power envelope. Even if it costs more, the savings in power and cooling costs will more than likely make up the increase in price.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I can't remember the name of it, something like Alpha or Digital something, but I remember in the late 90's weren't there chips on a completely different architecture that didn't generate heat to work? Or am I misremembering completely? Was that a fad technology that came and went because it couldn't be adapted to scale with increasing performance?

Edit: I looked through the Alpha DEC wiki but it didn't mention anything about heat.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 18, 2013

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

davebo posted:

I can't help but think that my PC case is mostly empty and if cpu's were twice the size I wouldn't ever notice once I put it together.

Yeah, the physical space used up isn't the problem. The biggest limiting factor is the speed of light - in a 5GHz processor, each cycle lasts 0.2ns. In 0.2ns, light can travel a little over two inches. Electricity in a copper wire goes quite a bit slower. Making fast chips becomes increasingly difficult as they get bigger, because it simply takes too long for electricity to get from one end of it to the other.

Edit:

davebo posted:

weren't there chips on a completely different architecture that didn't generate heat to work? Or am I misremembering completely?

You are. The laws of thermodynamics are not compatible with such a thing.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 18, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The idea of an isothermic computer that somehow does what it does by changing volume drastically is really funny, though. Picturing a computer basically made of jello, floppin' around...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
There may be technologies like nano-fiber-optics which produce less waste heat, but you won't get no waste heat. Or if you could shrink it far enough, combine nanotechs and coat the nanowire interconnect with thermoelectric harvesters.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SRQ posted:

Stop using silicon.
Which in itself is a hell of a thing.

And completely unrealistic stacked up next to credible 5nm and below research from the same teams that have been churning it out for years.

What every article wanking off about the possibility of graphene/diamond/Yet Another Substrate where a team of phd's threw a few billion around and assembled a single transistor atom by atom is that Silicon's main advantage is high volume manufacture. That's what enabled Moore's Law, that's why none of these research projects are going to sweep the market overnight. It's painful to read the dozens of articles a year about that type of research that diligently avoid going anywhere near that point.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

In the future gamer quantum computers will have a furnace attached to keep them warm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Factory Factory posted:

There may be technologies like nano-fiber-optics which produce less waste heat, but you won't get no waste heat.

Raises the stakes on overclocking. If you fry your processor and breathe it in, YOU DIE maybe :v:

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
When something refers to a 22nm architecture, is this the width of the depletion region in the semiconductor or is this the actual spacing between the transistors wrt each other?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

canyoneer posted:

Raises the stakes on overclocking. If you fry your processor and breathe it in, YOU DIE maybe :v:

Don't breathe in the magic blue smoke!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

IratelyBlank posted:

When something refers to a 22nm architecture, is this the width of the depletion region in the semiconductor or is this the actual spacing between the transistors wrt each other?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_nanometer
Half-pitch between identical features.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I read something vague about TSMC using Germanium for 5nm, and was trying to look for some more reliable info... instead, I found this:

Some idiot in 2004 posted:

I don't think so! Frankly, I think that the commercial availabilty of processors and memory modules will never reach beyond the 90 manometer node.

Does anyone want to face the cold hard truth that even light waves themelves are not that small!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Then we get immersion, double patterning, multigates....

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Zhentar posted:

I read something vague about TSMC using Germanium for 5nm, and was trying to look for some more reliable info... instead, I found this:
I remember reading the same thing about 0.25 microns back in the day. Maybe we can push it to 0.18, but no further!

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Zhentar posted:

This perhaps?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zhentar posted:

To be fair, 90 manometers is a lot of dudes.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

PCjr sidecar posted:

To be fair, 90 manometers is a lot of dudes.

Think of how much pressure you could measure with 90 manometers.

Also:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=90+nanometers%2Fdiameter+of+a+silicon+atom
At 22nm you're already talking less than 100 germanium atoms : http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=22+nanometers%2Fdiameter+of+a+germanium+atom

Naffer fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 18, 2013

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Yeah, that is what I read. But I wanted something more reliable (and detailed); using a silicon-germanium alloy is old hat and it seems more likely that it's some other take on silicon+germanium than that it's cutting silicon out of the picture.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

If there was enough research advancement, couldn't you feasibly use graphene to make processor dies even smaller?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Carbon nanotubes are one of the candidate techs for nanoelectronics, yes. They work really nicely as CNTFETs, but nobody has figured out how to mass-produce them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On a slightly different subject where on earth are the Haswell non-Apple laptops?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Factory Factory posted:

14nm is that wall. At that point, you've got monolayers of silicon atoms in the design.

I thought silicon lattice spacing was something like 500pm?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
My bad, the silicon monolayer limit is for 10nm, not 14nm. It also refers to the dielectric thickness of gates specifically, which is already ~3 atoms on Intel's 22nm FinFETs. The gate length at 10nm would be ~6 nm.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To me, the fact we can build machines with billions of parts on the nanometer scale, work on timescales in the nanosecond range, last a decade or more, and can be purchased for less than a days salary makes this all seem like magic.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Factory Factory posted:

Tunneling happens at 5 nm according to the 2003 paper referenced in this old article here http://www.zdnet.com/news/intel-scientists-find-wall-for-moores-law/133066

The fun parts of reading articles are seeing how projections turn out. The conservative estimate for 16 nm process was for 2018, so process technology has kept right on pace it looks like.

Supposedly we're supposed to be able to get below 5 nm using nanotubes but I do have to wonder how the signaling and state transition speed works compared to npn transistors that basically scale as distance decreases. But linear clock speed increase hardly means linear aggregate performance increase in the real world.

Chuu posted:

To me, the fact we can build machines with billions of parts on the nanometer scale, work on timescales in the nanosecond range, last a decade or more, and can be purchased for less than a days salary makes this all seem like magic.
I'm a tad more amazed at the economics of all this playing out to motivate such advantages - it's like people just want faster everything even though as developers we normally write stuff assuming that the user is the slowest part of your system, yet we must design around responding to that the fastest. Then there's all these new instructions that are available that can make software a few orders of magnitude faster in throughput and corresponding latency that most programmers just can't make use of effectively due to the current market emphasis in software centered about churning out something fast and avoiding throwing solid human time at actually fixing and optimizing software for performance by rethinking your architecture at the appropriate level, but for most companies just tacking on a few more blades will always be cheaper than having your developers paid like $11k / mo each spend their time optimizing for a potential few hundred times speedup.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tab8715 posted:

On a slightly different subject where on earth are the Haswell non-Apple laptops?

I think Apple has a thing where they get them first and then the other manufacturers get them a few weeks/months down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

but for most companies just tacking on a few more blades will always be cheaper than having your developers paid like $11k / mo each spend their time optimizing for a potential few hundred times speedup.

Just throwing in another piece of physical equipment is always better than hiring a human.