Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Westy543 posted:

Was streaming tonight, Higby stopped by to say hello. Here are some highlights!

Managed to actually kill something (mostly) with A2A missiles wherein they couldn't retaliate. Then I pulled off some sick jukes as a Mossie tailed me back to home base.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8k71_3DukI

Holy poo poo this airshot tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6uwTJnnVSE

And finally ending with FUCKDAMNIT TREE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiSL2_odEw

(nice shot)
I hope you don't mind me posting it here instead of the SPLC thread, but I didn't want to essentially crosspost.

You can get an A2A lock while looking out the side of the cockpit? :psyduck:

I didn't know this was still an option for some guns once they locked the Lib's tankbuster in forward position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

A2A missiles should be like the striker where you can dump the entire rack into a target--you'd see alot less rocket podders and therefore alot less bursters/skyguards as the sky becomes a massive aerial duel between swarms of ESF's.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Skyguard on sale today. Along with the incoming buff, I'm finally grabbing one.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Psykmoe posted:

You can get an A2A lock while looking out the side of the cockpit? :psyduck:

I didn't know this was still an option for some guns once they locked the Lib's tankbuster in forward position.

Yeah, it's a nice feature for, say, harassing libs but because of how the A2AMs work it's still slower than just pelting them with the rotary.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
Awesome game, stick with it even if it's a little slow to start.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Chance posted:

The Skyguard is pretty drat good already to be honest, so you should definitely pick it up. Along with the Burster MAX nerfs you'll probably see a lot more ESFs after the next upgrade too, so you'll likely get your money's worth :haw:

\/\/\/ E: I think I'm using the first level of zoom on mine and it does the trick just fine for the most part.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 19, 2013

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I hope the velocity buff means that people with higher zoom levels no longer have to lead so far that the target isn't actually in their field of vision. (:soe:)

What I'm saying is, don't max out Skyguard zoom. Zooming in won't fix the wide CoF anyway, so I just use either no, or pretty little zoom. I'm used to not having zoom from Bursters.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Arghy posted:

A2A missiles should be like the striker where you can dump the entire rack into a target--you'd see alot less rocket podders and therefore alot less bursters/skyguards as the sky becomes a massive aerial duel between swarms of ESF's.
That would make dogfighting essentially non existent and driving any air supremely boring.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

I really hope GU11 removes the capture a single facility type on a single continent alerts, these things are like slamming your dick in a door. Let's all go have unfun fights on amerish :(

I'm hoping that they'll change A2A missiles to just be rockets with slight guidance. Good for things with minimal movement, or on same course as you, poor against everything else. And almost nill splash.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Chance posted:

As a somewhat dedicated Skyguard driver, here are some tips given that I've been using one since before the armor/damage types changes, and I like shooting down wannabe skygods. :smugissar:
For the actual Skyguard weapon I find that either IRNV or TI are great and should be bought instead of Zoom Optics: as said above, zoom doesn't help with the cone of fire, while both IR optics allow you to more easily spot soldiers on the ground and mines, but more importantly they will allow you to shoot through the massive explosions and smoke created whenever a crappy rocket-podder tries to kill you thinking that you are an easy target.
Other worthwhile upgrades are Racer frame, since it will allow the Skyguard to run away from most ground threats and more quickly relocate, and Stealth: Nanite Auto-Repair might not be bad, especially when running from something slower, but truth is that a Skyguard is mainly effective when ambushing enemy air, and not showing on a minimap is extremely valuable, especially when relocating from cover to cover after having engaged someone, since more often that not enemy pilots will assume that you are in the same position and approach accordingly.

The other important thing to remember is to hold fire until a target is close: despite what some crappy pilots will say, a Skyguard will not shoot down someone even remotely competent from near render distance due to the cone of fire, relatively low damage per-shot and projectile speed, since they will just be able to afterburner away; as a deterrent to scare away bad pilots and get yourself/your forces some breathing room can work, but you won't shoot down anything and better pilots will know that you are there and if they are flying with their outfit, will do a combined attack on you that is not easy to survive.

Finally on all my Lightnings I run IR Smoke, since I main VS and that means Strikers, but for a Skyguard the Fire Suppressor is probably a good choice, since you'll generally want to stay on the sidelines or even hide behing the enemy forward line (surprisingly easy on Amerish when using Stealth) and the ability to quickly heal a bit of health may mean giving you the extra second to get behind cover or fire off the shot that will kill the enemy air shooting at you.

Just remember that an ESF can still kill you in a single pass if it manages to hit you in the rear, that infantry is as dangerous as it is against other vehicles, competent Dalton Liberators can out-tank you and out-damage you and enough ESF will take you out (unless you do some really fancy driving and shooting).
Oh and if an Halberd/ESAV Harasser spots you, you will die*. :v:

*Barring some friendly support or creative use of AT mines and escape routes.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 19, 2013

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

radintorov posted:

Finally on all my Lightnings I run IR Smoke, since I main VS and that means Strikers, but for a Skyguard the Fire Suppressor is probably a good choice, since you'll generally want to stay on the sidelines or even hide behing the enemy forward line (surprisingly easy on Amerish when using Stealth) and the ability to quickly heal a bit of health may mean giving you the extra second to get behind cover or fire off the shot that will kill the enemy air shooting at you.

Just remember that an ESF can still kill you in a single pass if it manages to hit you in the rear, that infantry is as dangerous as it is against other vehicles, competent Dalton Liberators can out-tank you and out-damage you and enough ESF will take you out (unless you do some really fancy driving and shooting).
Oh and if an Halberd/ESAV Harasser spots you, you will die*. :v:

*Barring some friendly support or creative use of AT mines and escape routes.

Smoke isn't bad regardless on a Lightning, especially if you run NV/Thermals. You can usually pop smoke, drive it between you and the skygod, then blast them as they are horribly disoriented. Bonus points if they crash.

vvv you mean land vehicle, Dalton gets mad zoom too.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 19, 2013

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I actually love driving a Skyguard when the need arises, just found it funny that high zoom levels are available, but so pointless. It's the only (edit, yes, land vehicle)vehicle weapon that can get more than a 2x zoom.

I also really love the handling of Rival chassis, but the acceleration for Racer is better in case some podder does get the drop on you, you can take off faster to avoid the salvo. And the relocating issue radintorov mentioned.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2013

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
Just had an "Capture 3 Amp stations on Esamir" alert on Waterson. The VS already hold two of the amp stations at the beginning and are 30 seconds from capping the third. :cry:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Pro-tip: Do not Q spot if you are alone and the only people who'll hear your character yell are enemies.

I was wandering around Howling Pass on Connery, when I suddenly hear "Visual on hostile light assault!" I check my map, see no red dots and keep going. Suddenly it clicks and I go "poo poo, I'm a light assault!" I leapt up the big elevator to A point just as bullets strip my shield. If I wasn't constantly switching between VS and NC I'd probably have noticed the voice difference sooner :v:

Then I use my Drifters to pause halfway up the elevator and look for the enemy. He runs into the elevator under me, zips past me, so I Drift back into the stream, head up and gun him down.

If he hadn't Q-spotted me he probably could have gotten me before I reached the elevator.

Also, that bit with pausing halfway up the elevator at Howling Pass or any biolab pad has worked every loving time so far. It's awesome. They never look around while riding up.

Edit: I Q-spot all the time - even if people don't look at their minimap, it at least puts triangles over people's heads which makes them easier to see for a while. But if I'm playing sneaky and far from friends? Not worth the risk :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 19, 2013

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Psykmoe posted:

Pro-tip: Do not Q spot if you are alone and the only people who'll hear your character yell are enemies.
I've found and killed so many people because of this: as a general rule I only Q-spot someone that has seen me, after I've already started shooting at an unaware enemy or if I'm surrounded by friendlies/enemy is near friendlies since one in a thousand will actually notice me calling out an enemy and glance at the minimap to see what I spotted.
Otherwise, I just don't: no point in giving away my position to any unseen enemy that might not have known that I was there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I Q-spot as an Infiltrator all the time when behind enemy lines. I want them to look for me. Because I'm invisible and have radar coverage, and they aren't and don't. :getin:

And also it does help my allies sometimes. It can be surprising to see how quickly allied tracers converge on a guy they didn't necessarily even know was there, or how satisfying it is to see a friendly radar wedge turn around and go over to where an enemy dot is and the enemy dot mysteriously vanishes.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Nakar posted:

I Q-spot as an Infiltrator all the time when behind enemy lines. I want them to look for me. Because I'm invisible and have radar coverage, and they aren't and don't. :getin:

And also it does help my allies sometimes. It can be surprising to see how quickly allied tracers converge on a guy they didn't necessarily even know was there, or how satisfying it is to see a friendly radar wedge turn around and go over to where an enemy dot is and the enemy dot mysteriously vanishes.

Well, making some poor ignoramus play cat and mouse with you is a valid use and informed decision. Which is the main point. When you're behind enemy lines you might want to put some thought into mashing Q whenever you see an enemy :v:

I mean yes, it's rare that it fucks you over, but it probably sucks feeling all sneaky and then whatever your plan was falls apart because someone heard you yell.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 19, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:siren: Boosts are on sale today :siren: including the mythic Hyper Boost! Get 'em for your next double EXP weekend for a reasonable price!

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

CupBoy posted:

Just had an "Capture 3 Amp stations on Esamir" alert on Waterson. The VS already hold two of the amp stations at the beginning and are 30 seconds from capping the third. :cry:

During the previous (capture Esamir) alert, we started with control of 60% of Esamir but were teamed up on by VS/NC, dropping to like 30% control before everyone realized VS/NC were trying to break our Indar lock and we only had 5% of the Indar population. Cue our control of Esamir dropping to 16% as everyone swarmed back to Indar (going from 5% to 57% of the population there).

We somehow ended it with 30% control of Esamir though.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rogue0071 posted:

During the previous (capture Esamir) alert, we started with control of 60% of Esamir but were teamed up on by VS/NC, dropping to like 30% control before everyone realized VS/NC were trying to break our Indar lock and we only had 5% of the Indar population. Cue our control of Esamir dropping to 16% as everyone swarmed back to Indar (going from 5% to 57% of the population there).

We somehow ended it with 30% control of Esamir though.

This on Waterson? Hell of a fight there last night. So glad I finally broke down and went AP prowler.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Evilreaver posted:

:siren: Boosts are on sale today :siren: including the mythic Hyper Boost! Get 'em for your next double EXP weekend for a reasonable price!

Argh. At least I picked up the skyguard cheap.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

So I just bought a boost yesterday and am gonna try to get it refunded to take advantage of the sale. Would you use an in-game support ticket for something like that or go through the SOE website?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

dirty nub posted:

So I just bought a boost yesterday and am gonna try to get it refunded to take advantage of the sale. Would you use an in-game support ticket for something like that or go through the SOE website?

Website tickets.

In game support is for reporting/logging only, you will never get a response there.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

This on Waterson? Hell of a fight there last night. So glad I finally broke down and went AP prowler.

Yeah, on Waterson. I pulled an AP prowler and then proceeded to drive over a ridge to find an entire company of coordinated AP Vanguards. I think I lasted about half a second.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rogue0071 posted:

Yeah, on Waterson. I pulled an AP prowler and then proceeded to drive over a ridge to find an entire company of coordinated AP Vanguards. I think I lasted about half a second.

Was this after we took ceres farms? Think I saw your charge :haw: I was sitting back on a hill with AP/Anchor/2x zoom and sniping the gently caress out of that group. Think I got 5 tank kills in about as many minutes.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

Was this after we took ceres farms? Think I saw your charge :haw: I was sitting back on a hill with AP/Anchor/2x zoom and sniping the gently caress out of that group. Think I got 5 tank kills in about as many minutes.

Yes, I was in the group that took Ceres farms and then we all pulled armor to try to stop the NC counterattack. In retrospect, your strategy was a much better idea, I didn't really expect them to have moved so far forwards in the time we were at the warpgate.

Also I need to pick up the fourth level of anchor but 1000 certs without membership or boost :negative:

Add me on steam (Rogue0071) and I'll be happy to gun/repair your prowler anytime I'm online.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 19, 2013

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's kinda nuts on Connery as TR. If we push NC back, they come back with a solid amount of Vanguards, and if you don't keep the heat on them they don't stop advancing so if you aren't smart you end up with a base surrounded by doom tanks. Once more of them use the enforcer as opposed to the default, it'll be even worse.

With the resource change, I think there is a lot to be said for just pulling masses of harassers instead of MAXes outdoors. I know SOE thinks they're giving us longer range viability but it's actually just a boost of max damage for 2 meters on one end, and then faster damage falloff after that with the same spread. It's a net nerf, and a significant one. My precious Mattocks gain +2meters for its worst-in-class max damage on both ends to 10/30 (shotguns at 30m hahahahaa) but also its damage dropoff has doubled and it's minimum damage is where other shotguns were pre-nerf. Mattocks will now REQUIRE both exmags AND slugs, on top of being the 1000/700 tier of weapons. They may as well be gold because they're total luxury at this point. No reason to do anything but Grinders.

A Harasser, on the other hand, doesn't instantly die to Lancer squads and is a miserable nightmare of pain to deal with in huge numbers. Expensive to pull soon, but so will be the MAXes and at least a Harasser with enforcer is viable at all ranges.

Is there a logical counter to 12 2/3 (both engies) harassers with nitro/racer3/composite? Is there anything 2 squads could do that's more effective outside of a tower/biodome? It's obviously not going to be getting a nerf anytime soon so I feel like we NC/TR goons should develop some Harasser doctrines.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Epic High Five posted:

Is there a logical counter to 12 2/3 (both engies) harassers with nitro/racer3/composite? Is there anything 2 squads could do that's more effective outside of a tower/biodome? It's obviously not going to be getting a nerf anytime soon so I feel like we NC/TR goons should develop some Harasser doctrines.
Strikers and Vulca- ohhhhhh right, we're TR.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Mattocks will now REQUIRE both exmags AND slugs

As if there were any other way to run them? I'm kidding buckshot on them was still pretty effective but I will probably only run Mattocks with Slugs 98% of the time even in BioLab camp fights.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BadLlama posted:

As if there were any other way to run them? I'm kidding buckshot on them was still pretty effective but I will probably only run Mattocks with Slugs 98% of the time even in BioLab camp fights.

Only way I run them too, but a case could certainly be made for the buckshot in CQC as if all the pellets land, it'll do more damage than a slug up close (in theory, 672 vs 500) and do respectable damage past that. Now it's JUST up close so you may as well be using the cheaper and more effective Grinders.

Nakar posted:

Strikers and Vulca- ohhhhhh right, we're TR.

It's crazy, fighting VS and not having to deal with giant swarms of magriders/scythes because every one that pops up blows up immediately. It's so wonderful, but I still prefer fighting NC because their MAXes are just big dumb cert pinatas. Had one magdump at me from 20 meters while I repeatedly unloaded full clips of my trac-5 into him. Got him eventually then died immediately to a SAW (GOD I MISS MY SAW :cry:) that did 100% damage. The NC MAX didn't even hit me once hahahaha

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 19, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Westy543 posted:

Was streaming tonight, Higby stopped by to say hello. Here are some highlights!

Managed to actually kill something (mostly) with A2A missiles wherein they couldn't retaliate. Then I pulled off some sick jukes as a Mossie tailed me back to home base.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8k71_3DukI

Holy poo poo this airshot tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6uwTJnnVSE

And finally ending with FUCKDAMNIT TREE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiSL2_odEw

(nice shot)
I hope you don't mind me posting it here instead of the SPLC thread, but I didn't want to essentially crosspost.

I didn't realize you could lock on by using the free move in the cockpit :psyboom:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Supraluminal posted:

Are the air-to-air missile pods worth getting? I'm trying to learn to use the Reaver, and it seems like some homing missiles would make it a lot easier to act as an effective interceptor. As a freeloader I need to economize on certs, though, so would I be better off with the rotary cannon to start with?

Absolutely. A2A's are amazing the second you upgrade the lock on timer. You lock on to Libs instantly and esf's pretty fast. I much prefer it to rocket pods nowadays.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Supraluminal posted:

Are the air-to-air missile pods worth getting? I'm trying to learn to use the Reaver, and it seems like some homing missiles would make it a lot easier to act as an effective interceptor. As a freeloader I need to economize on certs, though, so would I be better off with the rotary cannon to start with?

I'd say yes. The default lock on at a range that is too far for using your guns reliably, so you can take away close to half the health of an ESF. They lock on, fire, and hit usually before flares can be used. When it hits, you should be in range and already finishing them off with your gun. Also, a lot of ESFs run with fuel pods and like to think they can just afterburn away from a fire fight they are losing. They wont outrun the A2A missile.

It's rare to see ESFs use flares when doing A2A because they think it might be ground based and expect to have a few more moments to see if it is real or not. The thing is, as soon as they get locked, they are hit almost immediately. If they DO happen to use flares, you can just grin because they wont have flares for the next two if they begin evasions.

I can go on 6+ kill streaks with nothing but A2A. Libs are also easier to deal with when you can constantly outdistance their stupid underbelly and just lock on, repeat, they dead.

Edit: I cert into lock on time, as distance is already pretty far out.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 19, 2013

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
How many A2A hits does it take to pop an ESF? I've never actually used them, might have to try them out with some spare certs.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Is there any way to remap the mouse x-axis to yaw instead of roll for aircraft? I'd like to use keyboard for pitch/roll and the mouse for fine-tuning my aim. Rolling with the mouse isn't conducive to that.

On a related note, does everyone who's serious-business about flying use a joystick, or is KBAM considered to be adequate?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Vatek posted:

How many A2A hits does it take to pop an ESF? I've never actually used them, might have to try them out with some spare certs.

3 last I checked, each one shaves off bout 40% of a fighters health.

Kissing Dad
May 27, 2004

Checked last couple pages and didn't see anything, what is a good all around weapon for a NC HA? I've mostly played Infiltrator up until now so I'm not even sure where to start.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Supraluminal posted:

Is there any way to remap the mouse x-axis to yaw instead of roll for aircraft? I'd like to use keyboard for pitch/roll and the mouse for fine-tuning my aim. Rolling with the mouse isn't conducive to that.

On a related note, does everyone who's serious-business about flying use a joystick, or is KBAM considered to be adequate?

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using a joystick in this game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kissing Dad posted:

Checked last couple pages and didn't see anything, what is a good all around weapon for a NC HA? I've mostly played Infiltrator up until now so I'm not even sure where to start.

SAW with a 400 cert investment. Throw on the advance grip, compensator and the high velocity rounds.

So how the hell do people do those swinging maneuvers and stuff with ESFs? I can never do that, I always fly "stiff". If I want to do quick turns it results in me rolling over then pitching up to do the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Leal posted:

SAW with a 400 cert investment. Throw on the advance grip, compensator and the high velocity rounds.

HVA is pretty optional now, I used to be the biggest proponent of it but now I don't recommend it so much because the added kick is actually noticable now. I maybe have just been rusty after auraxing a couple carbines though, and it really does help tag people downrange with your glorious 200/167 damage rounds.

• Locked thread