Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
A local indie bookshop said they just got shipment of Golliwog dolls and posted this picture:

People keep defending them!

quote:

· COUNT CHOCULA ... that's... um... that's really racist. like i really can't process, as an American expat, how racist that is
·
Bookshop Wow. I am a Canadian expat. Golliwogs have been subverted.
·
COUNT CHOCULA they're still racist stereotype dolls
·
COUNT CHOCULA http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/21/golliwogs-vile-throwback-tory-mps

Golliwogs are a vile reminder of a racist past – even Tory MPs must see this
https://www.guardian.co.uk
Richard Seymour: Golliwog dolls are unacceptable even among the ranks of (most) ...See More
· THEM: i golliwogs. moreover i find the lack of non-white dolls in our society creepy.
·
THEM: do you have a problem with noddy and big ears too christian?
·
COUNT CHOCULA they aren't based on Southern racist stereotypes

·
THEM: Of course we need diversity in dolls, but as Christian stated above, golliwogs have a long racist history, maybe less so in oz, and no ironic subversion can make them less so.
·
ANOTHER PERSON: Well a friend who was visiting from the US recently saw some at a store and he was highly offended. Please reconsider and don't sell this rubbish. It is offensive.
·
ANOTHER PERSON: This is from my X husband who is a Canadian..... The golliwog was a creature which in it's earlier appearance in Florence Kate Upton's book was (and still is based on the picture) based on the Minstrel show characters with jet black faces, painted on large lips, curly hair and bright clothes. Unless you somehow think that minstrels where "innocent fun" and that selling dolls from whose name also come the local derogative of "wogs", maybe have a bit of a rethink.
·
Bookshop Hey all, We love golliwogs! Urchin Books invites discussion about this. However, we obviously do not want to offend anyone who believes that we are upholding racist stereotypes. So, I have not removed them from their box and will not sell them. x
·
COUNT CHOCULA On a more practical level, it also reinforces what John Oliver said about Australia being 'casually racist'... i've been here 10 years ago and its still kinda shocking
·
COUNT CHOCULA Thank you!
·
Bookshop Thank you for your comments.
· THEM: from wikipedia: " Sir Kenneth Clark said that the golliwogs of his childhood were, "examples of chivalry, far more persuasive than the unconvincing Knights of the Arthurian legend."

golliwogs were my preferred childhood doll [in NZ]. i even had one which tipped upside down and was white on one side and black on the other. two dolls in one essentially. both wore beautiful gingham and lace dresses. i never considered it in anyway culturally offensive and can see especially in a world obsessed with the safety of political correctness and with a questionable heritage that they can be construed as such.

however everything is contextual.

i find children being fed "happy meals" from mcdonalds much more offensive.
·
COUNT CHOCULA yes, but Happy Meals aren't actual racist stereotypes
·
THEM: no. but racism is only one evil christian. it is ridiculous to only concentrate on one.
·
COUNT CHOCULA yes, but he isn't selling Maccas. he said "I'm going to sell these racist dolls", and we convinced him to change his mind. why are you so set on defending this?
·
COUNT CHOCULA people still get called 'wogs'. its easy for you to ignore this since it doesn't impact you
·
THEM: we have all grown up and had to stomach whatever insult idiots deemed to throw at us as we grew up based on gender, colour, class, physicality etc. you say this because i appear to be white? to quote neimoidian nute [phantom menace] "you assume too much" master COUNT CHOCULA.
·
YET ANOTHER PERSON: There is nothing I hate more in this day and age than political correctness gone mad. Its a doll whether its White, Black, Yellow, Brown. Its a kids doll!!! They resemble someone in a suit.
·
YET ANOTHER PERSON: Bookshop is one of the few great Bookshops left so give it a break, show your support the dolls won't be on the shelves but there is thousands of great books to be found!!!
· PERSON Well Mr COUNT CHOCULA. You seem perfectly happy to make arguments based on racism but you have actually made sexist comments right here in this feed. You say "but he isn't selling Maccas. he said "I'm going to sell these racist dolls", and we convinced him to ...See More
·
STILL ANOTHER PERSON: Its about cultural context. Perhaps rename them just Dolls. Then no one can be offended. Its not the doll. Its Golliwog that's offensive so ditch the term.
·
COUNT CHOCULA No, its the fact that they're blackface stereotypes
·
STILL ANOTHER PERSON: Get the producer to make red, yellow and white ones too. Then sell them. Get a green one too for greenies.
·
COUNT CHOCULA they'd still have those stereotypical features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

A local indie bookshop said they just got shipment of Golliwog dolls and posted this picture:

People keep defending them!

Hey, apparently the Australian Politics thread misses you and wants you to go start breaking their tables instead.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Edit: imgur doesn't work on tablets apparently. Weird

Fill Baptismal has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Jun 20, 2013

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Fandyien posted:

Man I like how these reprobates take it as an article of faith that if they just try hard enough to educate people, public opinion will turn against abortion. Despite that being literally the opposite of reality.

I don't understand how they believe that they have any right to impose their interpretation of their faith on anyone. That's kind of the whole point of 'Murica - you don't get to dictate to anyone what they are allowed to believe. We're all supposed to be in "it" together, and we made a decision on abortion with Roe v. Wade and that's the end of it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

He's been working in an Apple store for five years now. Still single.

:qq: "Please love me."

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I haven't even bothered to look, but what is the cliff notes version "60 million dollar vacation?" I assume it's a wildly fabricated right-wing meme of some kind, but it's the first I've heard of it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0617/457164-obama-dublin-visit/

'The certificates of the Obama family genealogy show President Obama’s ancestry from Falmouth Kearney, his second great-grandfather to his seventh great-grandfather, Joseph Kearney.'

Apparently for 60 million dollars they took a break from the G8 summit to see a bit of Ireland, watch Riverdance, and give a speech to schoolkids.

Black Pants has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Jun 20, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's the goddamned president of the united states, if he wants to spend millions on a vacation then why should people give a poo poo. If I won the lottery and spent millions on a trip to Bora Bora and people told me that I shouldn't be spending my money on that and instead be using it for more important poo poo I'd shove a middle finger in their face so hard it'd break off my hand and rocket into space

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Those vacation costs are always ridiculous too. They are usually generated by the worst kind of estimation possible and include the salaries of all the secret service agents, pilots, aides, and White House Staff / FLOTUS staff that were going to be paid anyway. As well as the guns, equipment, and jet fuel that were all already purchased.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I often wonder how much it costs for Obama to just sit at home for a week (a stay-cation, if you will), still surrounded by security with a fully-staffed White House at his disposal. Anyone got any numbers on that?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Shannonmcn posted:

I often wonder how much it costs for Obama to just sit at home for a week (a stay-cation, if you will), still surrounded by security with a fully-staffed White House at his disposal. Anyone got any numbers on that?

Something something, Obummer Kenya MAH GUNS Obamacare, (racial epithet), Nobama blah blah blah Muslim. This is basically the thought process of the people making a big deal and I doubt any of them are sincerely concerned about the actual costs incurred here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Count Chocula posted:

A local indie bookshop said they just got shipment of Golliwog dolls

Why would "wog" be derived from "golliwog"? "Wogs" are Mediterranean people, not black people.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I play on a hockey team comprised of Disabled Vets. My political/religious/whatever viewpoints differ greatly from those of my teammates. Red is one of those teammates and green are two more that liked this. I'm blue.

Article is http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/u-s-cities-as-dangerous-as-deadliest-3rd-world-countries/ for anyone that wants to see it. I want to tell him that WND is like the Onion but I don't really want to start poo poo like that.

I never served with these guys but I know from talking to them enough that 90% of them are the same ones during Bush's regime that said if you don't support the Commander in Chief during wartime, you're not a patriot. I got "talked to" a lot by guys like them while I was active duty.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

VogeGandire posted:

Thank god it's not just me that hears "four horsemen" and instead of thinking "Conquest, War, Famine and Death", thinks "Arn, Ole, Tully and Ric".

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Fixed for true the true four.
And Arn... won't be Arn... anymore. :dawkins101:

No, you loving idiot, that's a tornado loving looks like.

Literally every conversation I have with my parents sounds like this FB page.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Guys my one posted more stuff!

He's also like four feet tall and likes lots of "Short men r reel 2" pages and the like.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

I haven't even bothered to look, but what is the cliff notes version "60 million dollar vacation?"
They're black.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Shannonmcn posted:

Not quite accurate, since the total includes trips & poo poo, but it probably averages out a lot...

but I make it out as $26M/week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210323/Obama-family-costs-taxpayers-1-4BILLION-year.html

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

I play on a hockey team comprised of Disabled Vets. My political/religious/whatever viewpoints differ greatly from those of my teammates. Red is one of those teammates and green are two more that liked this. I'm blue.

Article is http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/u-s-cities-as-dangerous-as-deadliest-3rd-world-countries/ for anyone that wants to see it. I want to tell him that WND is like the Onion but I don't really want to start poo poo like that.

I never served with these guys but I know from talking to them enough that 90% of them are the same ones during Bush's regime that said if you don't support the Commander in Chief during wartime, you're not a patriot. I got "talked to" a lot by guys like them while I was active duty.

It always pisses me off when they bring up Detroit and claim it has strict gun control laws because Michigan cities (and counties) do not have the authority to make gun control laws of any kind.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tiggum posted:

Why would "wog" be derived from "golliwog"? "Wogs" are Mediterranean people, not black people.

Your profile says you are an Aus goon. In the UK back in the day, wog was the local version of the N-word and was applied liberally to black people by scumbags, until all the racists decided that they actually hated "pakis" more and switched their hatred to them (now only slightly hidden under the mask of calling all brown people Muslims instead but we know what they really mean).

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Yeah racists aren't really known for their keen observational skills.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Taking it from an expert (my horrendously racist uncle) Wog definitely means a black person.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Slamhound posted:

They're black.

Basically. It's dumb shits screaming about how that uppity ni President is spending ARE TAX DOLLARS to go gallivantin' around the world! while conveniently ignoring that Obama's at the low end of the scale when it comes to Presidential vacation time.

Just ask whoever whines about this how angry they were when Bush spent a third of his Presidency on vacation- furious, I'll bet!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Slamhound posted:

They're black.

Half black :smug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SybilVimes posted:

Not quite accurate, since the total includes trips & poo poo, but it probably averages out a lot...

but I make it out as $26M/week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210323/Obama-family-costs-taxpayers-1-4BILLION-year.html

Oh God don't read the comments on that article :suicide:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Regarding 'wog' most people in Australia will associate the term with Greek or Italian people, Lebanese also. But in the UK 'wog' as a pejorative for black people it's not uncommon for my parent's generation. Don't know if it's a contraction of 'Golliwog'. Australia inherited the Golliwog doll from England too.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
SCIENCE!

Oh no! It makes the molecules move faster! Why not just heat it up without doing that you loving microwave? You're destroying all the proteins and vitamines in the water cells you dick!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

newreply.php posted:

Oh no! It makes the molecules move faster! Why not just heat it up without doing that you loving microwave? You're destroying all the proteins and vitamines in the water cells you dick!

It's destroying the water's DNA!

My favorite part is the part about the nurse microwaving blood. Because nurses just do whatever, there's no procedures or anything like that.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

It's destroying the water's DNA!

My favorite part is the part about the nurse microwaving blood. Because nurses just do whatever, there's no procedures or anything like that.

They do microwave blood though, although usually it's submersed in hot water to heat it. Do it too hot, and hemolysis occurs.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiggum posted:

No those are "Wops".
I suspect the two words might be related.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

No those are "Wops".
I suspect the two words might be related.

Wops was a catch all term for immigrants. It's an acronym for With Out Papers. My Italian ancestors were treated to such a slur as well!

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Childers B. Lace posted:

Wops was a catch all term for immigrants. It's an acronym for With Out Papers. My Italian ancestors were treated to such a slur as well!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wop posted:

One famous false etymology is that it stands for "without papers" or "without passport" (abbreviated WOP),[1] widely known to be a fantasy derivation by acronym.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

FrozenVent posted:

Oh God don't read the comments on that article :suicide:

That applies to every single Daily Mail comments section. It even has up/down votes which make it seem like a more racist/xenophobic Reddit, especially when people downvote the sensible comments and up vote the "ARE COUNTRY IS BEING TAKEN OVER BY MUZLIMS!!!1!" comments!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have only ever heard of wop as a slur against Italians here in America. My mother is second generation Italian, for the record.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

"Online Etymology Dictionary posted:

wop (n.)
derogatory for "Italian," 1912, American English slang, apparently from southern Italian dialect guappo "dandy, dude, stud," a greeting among male Neapolitans, said to be from Spanish guapo "bold, dandy," which is from Latin vappa "sour wine," also "worthless fellow;" related to vapidus (see vapid).

There, now we know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:jerkbag:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

newreply.php posted:

SCIENCE!

I follow Grow Food, Not Lawns for their gardening tips but goddamn if they post another article about this miracle herb that cures cancer that has been banned by the FDA blah blah blah.

And I for one was worried about TEAM WII TRICKZ. Five years... where has the time gone.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Holy gently caress facebook has hashtags now.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

quote:

So appearantly keeping your phone in your bra can give you breast cancer, and in your pocket prostate cancer.... yeeeah, I sleep with my phone under my pillow
The person who posted this is a girl and didn't that whole "cell phones cause cancer" thing turn out to be a bunch of tabloid bullshit? Also, one of my classmates just posted a picture of a badly mutilated pit bull with a bone sticking out in its hind leg. I'm not sure why the kinds of people who post things like that think they'll accomplish anything besides grossing people out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Call Now posted:

Holy gently caress facebook has hashtags now.

I don't even get this, I mean I know why posts use to have them because you could post stuff on twitter that would show up on facebook. But what good would they do on facebook itself? I can search a hashtag and look up anyone's twitter. Most people's facebooks I can in fact not see.

• Locked thread