Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
No one forced you to use your upgrade and lose unlimited data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Instead of having a bitch fit to people who aren't going to fix your problem, why don't you, y'know, upgrade to a bigger data plan? Maybe tell your mom to snag the WiFi password at her workplace?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Is there any way to get a deal or even just communicate my frustration with the fact that my loving data is now limited?

No and yes respectively. You can complain, but it won't do you any good. Unfortunately the trend is going toward data plans for everyone despite everyone hating them, so clearly your feedback would be very valuable to them. The person you talk to will just say that it is literally impossible to switch any plans to unlimited at this point. So now the only way you can get unlimited is the take over someone else's unlimited contract. You can find some sellers on Craigslist or eBay.

You should've known that you could be unhappy with the 2gb limit when you upgraded, but you chose to accept that risk anyway when you signed the contract. I guess now you just have to live with the consequences or shell out for someone else's unlimited plan :shrug:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nathilus posted:

At the end of the day it seems dumb to gamble with someone else who might be just as if not more lovely when realistically a twenty dollar bump to 5 gb isn't that bad and would take care of the immediate problem.

So the main source of your ire here is being made to pay $10 for every gigabyte over quota, and spending the $20 to go from 2GB to 6GB would solve your problem? Are you still in the middle of your billing cycle now? You can call in or go online to change your data quota; they'll charge you the extra $20 and they'll backdate it to the start of your current bill cycle, so you don't get any overage fees.

Also, I'd sit down and do the math about what you'd be paying to keep your unlimited data. I'm going to assume you have two phones, yours and your mother's.

Old plan, $160/month:

$80 base price for 700 shared minutes and unlimited texts.
$10 line charge for your phone + $30 unlimited data
$10 line charge for your mom's phone + $30 unlimited data

Now remember too that to keep this plan, you have to buy your phones at full retail. So add $700 more to that, $350 per line, because no subsidy for you. That's about $30/month, so keeping the old unlimited really would cost you $190/month.

New plan, $140/month:

$60 for 2GB data bucket, unlimited texts
$40 line charge for your phone
$40 line charge for her phone

So the $20 buy-up from 2GB to 6GB just means you'd be paying the same thing you were before, you're not having overages, and you got subsidized phones.

To break even relative to what you'd pay to keep your unlimited, you'd need to use 12GB/month, which'd put you in the $110/month data plan.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You could pay $200 to some dude on the internet and have him move you to one of the VIP plans. :smug:

But that's honestly just a waste of money.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Protocol7 posted:

Instead of having a bitch fit to people who aren't going to fix your problem, why don't you, y'know, upgrade to a bigger data plan?

Like I said, I'll ultimately do this if I can't get some sort of reasonable deal worked out. But let's be frank here, it is still not comfortable to have my balls so obviously in a vice. Even is the vice is a ten dollar one. We've paid them thousands of dollars over the years, so I'm hoping that gives me some sort of leverage. I sort of doubt it though.

The wifi idea is a great one, I hadn't thought to brief her on it. I bet her work has it and also that she's not using it. That could really help cutting her data usage. But again, frankly, that's like lubing up my rear end before getting hosed so it hurts less. The primary problem here is that we're getting hosed, not that we're going to go over 2GB this month.

The Gadfly posted:

No and yes respectively.

Yeah, gently caress. I was afraid this was going to be the answer. Maybe I'll email them that AM rant from I Have No Mouth just to get my feelings across.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 15, 2013

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Enough with the lube and anal penetration imagery. God drat, goons are weird.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I know you feel like your "balls are in a vice" but you upgraded without doing any research beforehand. You really have no one to blame but yourself. Seriously, take a breather, dude.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Nathilus posted:

Like I said, I'll ultimately do this if I can't get some sort of reasonable deal worked out.

To put it frankly, please don't be that guy. There's no need to take out frustration on some poor call center person because here's the long and the short of it. Verizon doesn't give a poo poo. There's nothing to "get worked out" you're not getting your unlimited data back short of paying for a VIP account of doing an AoL and just getting a new phone number. It sucks, but the onus here is on you. Nobody forced you to get a new phone, it's not Verizon's responsibility to repeatedly tell all their subscribers every month they will lose their data upon upgrading. This is something that happens at the time of upgrade, and until you sign next to the X + 13 more days have elapsed, you're always more than welcome to walk away and return to your so called homeostasis.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Protocol7 posted:

I know you feel like your "balls are in a vice" but you upgraded without doing any research beforehand. You really have no one to blame but yourself. Seriously, take a breather, dude.

This is sort of beside the point, but I get it. Actually I did do some research and while I wasn't happy with being downgraded, we needed new phones (we keep ours a long rear end time and were working with dying Droids) and at the time, after doing the numbers, I was satisfied that we wouldn't be hitting anywhere near 2GB with me as the only real data user. That's obviously changed and yeah it's totally our end, not Verizon's. Mom is no longer subsidizing my data usage. :qq:

Like I said though, assigning blame is beside the point. I'm not pissed because they conned me or anything, I'm pissed because I'm about to get nickled and dimed. It's the pricing scheme that I find unreasonable, I'm perfectly fine with having to pay 20 or 30 bucks a month to get decent phone bandwidth. Furthermore, my indignation is temporary and played up for effect, the real issue is whether or not I can use my leverage to cop any sort of a deal. The answer to that has been a resounding no, which sucks for me I guess. Goodbye ten bucks.

SeaborneClink posted:

To put it frankly, please don't be that guy. There's no need to take out frustration on some poor call center person because here's the long and the short of it.

I don't see anything wrong with using whatever leverage you have at your disposal to try to get a fair deal as a customer. You don't have to make anyone's life hell to try to reach an agreement with a company. I mean, that's the lifeblood of a small business there. If the ultimate answer is that Verizon as a company doesn't give a poo poo about our business despite the fact we've been with them for over a decade, then fine I'll have to accept that and make my decisions based on that reality.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 15, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nathilus posted:

We've paid them thousands of dollars over the years, so I'm hoping that gives me some sort of leverage.
You and everybody else, bro. You and everybody else.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Nathilus posted:

I don't see anything wrong with using whatever leverage you have at your disposal to try to get a fair deal as a customer. You don't have to make anyone's life hell to try to reach an agreement with a company. I mean, that's the lifeblood of a small business there. If the ultimate answer is that Verizon as a company doesn't give a poo poo about our business despite the fact we've been with them for over a decade, then fine I'll have to accept that and make my decisions based on that reality.
In the time scale of Verizon Wireless, a decade is nothing. Being a jerk to minimum wage employees makes you worthy of the worst kind of scorn. This is a contract with a corporation, not a loving playground.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nathilus posted:

If the ultimate answer is that Verizon as a company doesn't give a poo poo about our business despite the fact we've been with them for over a decade, then fine I'll have to accept that and make my decisions based on that reality.

In the days before the internet it's possible something like this would be true. But now that everyone tells everyone ever time they get a deal for being a good customer, there are no more deals for being a good customer.

$10 once is not being nickle and dimed. They had to pay for upgrading to LTE everywhere across the US somehow.

Yeah it's bullshit to pay so much for data, but it's also bullshit that text messages cost more then sending data to the voyager probe which is now outside the solar system but we pay because the telecoms have to make money somehow.

If you want cheap data/Unlimited and worse reception there a ton of options available to you including TMo or Sprint, but neither is probably worth the switching cost.

As has been stated over and over again the level of attempted customer satisfaction is inversely related to the utility of the telecoms network. Verizon has the best network hands down so the level of attempted customer satisfaction they must attempt is the least.

If you want a telecom to give you unlimited data/and try to work for your business you are looking at Sprint and TMo. FYI TMo has some great prepaid plans, including an unlimited data (5gb fast, rest slow) for $30+sales tax (no fees) but you only get 100 minutes. See the prepaid thread for more information.

If it's $20/mo to make everyone happy then just pay it and reconsider when your contract is up.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

Is there any way to get a deal or even just communicate my frustration with the fact that my loving data is now limited?

You're hosed. F-U-C-K-E-D. Enjoy paying out the rear end for data.

Otherwise, wait till your contract is up and port your number to T-Mo for their various cheaper unlimited data plans, while praying that the coverage is still good.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Stick100 posted:

If you want cheap data/Unlimited and worse reception there a ton of options available to you including TMo or Sprint, but neither is probably worth the switching cost.

If they keep allowing towers to fail around here, a string and a tin can is going to have better reception than Verizon.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My dad gets a phone through his work for free. The only problem is that they give everyone a bare-basic phone, and while they will activate a different phone on the line for someone, it has to be purchased independently. Well, he finally broke down and bought a clean Razr MAXX for a decent price.

Obviously the person in charge of the account will have to call in and activate it. However, the phone didn't come with a sim card, and his current phone doesn't have one either. Does he need to get an unactivated sim before he can use it? Or does he need to order one from Verizon? Or what?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I'm thoroughly angry at Verizon. My sister cashed in her upgrade today. Now we gave the store her phone number twice - once to get in "line" and once when the saleswoman started helping us.
She still activated it on the wrong line. So after an hour of getting it switched back to the right line, they still want to charge for the some 30mb of data she used while activated on the wrong line.

This wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't my mother's line, and she owns a dumb phone, so they want some $60 out of their own god drat mistake.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Obviously the person in charge of the account will have to call in and activate it. However, the phone didn't come with a sim card, and his current phone doesn't have one either. Does he need to get an unactivated sim before he can use it? Or does he need to order one from Verizon? Or what?
He can just walk into a corporate store and they'll give him one. Easy.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
32.964 GB / Unlimited used this billing cycle. Reset on 06/22. Used my bandwidth to grab 4 Linux distros and grab windows 7 through Dreamspark. Not even a hickup in service. Upgraded my command center to a lair. Neckbeard in progress.

BTW I'm 4 in goon-years today, totally warranted some goonery.Yay!

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

So I'm thoroughly angry at Verizon. My sister cashed in her upgrade today. Now we gave the store her phone number twice - once to get in "line" and once when the saleswoman started helping us.
She still activated it on the wrong line. So after an hour of getting it switched back to the right line, they still want to charge for the some 30mb of data she used while activated on the wrong line.

This wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't my mother's line, and she owns a dumb phone, so they want some $60 out of their own god drat mistake.
Call customer service and explain what happened. They should sort it out without too much fuss since rep errors are 100% re-ratable.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

cuedotcom posted:

32.964 GB / Unlimited used this billing cycle. Reset on 06/22. Used my bandwidth to grab 4 Linux distros and grab windows 7 through Dreamspark. Not even a hickup in service. Upgraded my command center to a lair. Neckbeard in progress.

BTW I'm 4 in goon-years today, totally warranted some goonery.Yay!
Congratulations on being (one of) the reasons Unlimited accounts went away.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Congratulations on being (one of) the reasons Unlimited accounts went away.

congratulations on being completely incorrect! Unlimited going away is a method of double dipping consumer accounts. It has exactly zero to do with actual usage. Then again, shaming people never hurts when it has nothing to do with the issue at hand, right? I mean how dare he use unlimited bandwidth in an unlimited fashion, right? all those evils of companies having budgeted the money for moving to LTE around 10 years ago and raking in gigantic profits ever since.

Is the upgrade process (to keep unlimited) still "use upgrade on additional line, add phone back to main plan"? Does doing so mean that the phone number is set to the additional line's number, or is it set to the main line's phone number?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

notwithoutmyanus posted:

congratulations on being completely incorrect! Unlimited going away is a method of double dipping consumer accounts. It has exactly zero to do with actual usage. Then again, shaming people never hurts when it has nothing to do with the issue at hand, right? I mean how dare he use unlimited bandwidth in an unlimited fashion, right? all those evils of companies having budgeted the money for moving to LTE around 10 years ago and raking in gigantic profits ever since.

Is the upgrade process (to keep unlimited) still "use upgrade on additional line, add phone back to main plan"? Does doing so mean that the phone number is set to the additional line's number, or is it set to the main line's phone number?

You should be able to get a phone off contract and pay the $35 activation fee and ultimately retain your unlimited data.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Can't you get an upgrade discount on the extra line and bring it back to the main line without losing unlimited? or no?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Can't you get an upgrade discount on the extra line and bring it back to the main line without losing unlimited? or no?
I'm probably not supposed to tell you but technically yes.

Just don't do an alternate or buddy upgrade where the order actually puts the new phone on the unlimited line directly. The equipment change codes for 2 year pricing are what tell the system to switch away from unlimited. If you first activate it on a non-unlimited extra line and then move it over as 'customer provided equipment' unlimited can be retained.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

td4guy posted:

You and everybody else, bro. You and everybody else.

My co-worker would do this every loving time he called verizon. We've been customers for 6 years, thats SOOO much money, so now give us X... Even I got tired of hearing it from one person, I'm sure by now every customer service rep is way past me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I did this last November to get a RAZR HD MAXX, worked just fine. Added a line, bought the discounted phone, then put a dumbphone on the line to remove the data plan.

Took my SIM out of my Galaxy Nexus, put it in the new phone, and kept unlimited. Dumbphone goes back in the junk drawer. Paying $10+tax every month for 24 months is cheaper than buying the phone outright and you get to pay over time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I have a question about dealer lines for indirect dealers. I'm being given the option to move my number over to the dealer discount if I'm at least 6 months under contract. I meet that, but I still have unlimited. I emailed my rep about this and she's a little slow to get back, if I bring my account over to the dealer program will I get to keep my unlimited and be assessed discounts like they used to be or do I have to go onto the share plans?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have a question about dealer lines for indirect dealers. I'm being given the option to move my number over to the dealer discount if I'm at least 6 months under contract. I meet that, but I still have unlimited. I emailed my rep about this and she's a little slow to get back, if I bring my account over to the dealer program will I get to keep my unlimited and be assessed discounts like they used to be or do I have to go onto the share plans?

Doubtful, I think all the NR comp lines are now share, and iirc they (Verizon) eat the line access fee and you pick the data tier you want.

I don't have a Verizon dealer line though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a discount for upgrade on a dumbphone line on our shared plan and I want to transfer it to a smartphone line and get a new smartphone. The question I have is does the discount clock reset for both lines if I decide to transfer it?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No, just on the dumbphone line. Don't think of it as a transfer. After you reactivate the dumbphone on the second line, then the brand new smartphone is just a random free phone that isn't attached to any account. Then you take this random free phone and activate it on your line, with no changes made at all to that line's contract or anything.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I recently upgraded from my droid bionic to a Lumia 928. If I return the 928 and pay the $35 restocking fee, then get a galaxy S4, so I have to pay the $30 upgrade fee again?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Phummus posted:

I recently upgraded from my droid bionic to a Lumia 928. If I return the 928 and pay the $35 restocking fee, then get a galaxy S4, so I have to pay the $30 upgrade fee again?

No

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My sprint contract is up next week. How should I go about ordering 3 phones and setting up an account? Iphone 5, Samsung s4, dumbphone. A store, Verizon website, Bestbuy mobile, amazon?

My wife get's a work discount. If I order online will it be easy to apply the discount after the fact?

Thanks guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hdip posted:

My sprint contract is up next week. How should I go about ordering 3 phones and setting up an account? Iphone 5, Samsung s4, dumbphone. A store, Verizon website, Bestbuy mobile, amazon?

My wife get's a work discount. If I order online will it be easy to apply the discount after the fact?

Thanks guys.
Check Best Buy's prices on the S4, since Amazon doesn't carry iPhones. If they're similar, just go there. If not, you might have to make it a bit more annoying by ordering the S4 from Amazon, then getting the iPhone wherever and adding a line when you do so since its price is going to be the same anywhere you get it. Verizon's price on the S4 will likely be higher than anywhere else. Dumbphones are probably going to be the same prices everywhere. Applying the discount after the fact should be trivial.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

FordPRefectLL posted:

Update on this: Apparently I can keep my unlimited and get the dealer discount if I don't get a new phone. Which is good, because I'm currently on a family plan that has an upgrade not on my line :getin:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FordPRefectLL posted:

Update on this: Apparently I can keep my unlimited and get the dealer discount if I don't get a new phone. Which is good, because I'm currently on a family plan that has an upgrade not on my line :getin:

Don't use that other upgrade on your line. You'll lose unlimited. Any new phone purchases pretty much have to be a full-price, no-contract purchase.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Check Best Buy's prices on the S4, since Amazon doesn't carry iPhones. If they're similar, just go there. If not, you might have to make it a bit more annoying by ordering the S4 from Amazon, then getting the iPhone wherever and adding a line when you do so since its price is going to be the same anywhere you get it. Verizon's price on the S4 will likely be higher than anywhere else. Dumbphones are probably going to be the same prices everywhere. Applying the discount after the fact should be trivial.

Best Buy will price match Amazon on phones. So yeah, you can get the Amazon price at Best Buy to establish the account, then go to a Verizon shop to have them port over the other lines over and get an iPhone and a dumbphone.

You can sign up with your work email here and put the discount on your account after the fact. If you don't have a work email address you can go into a store with a paystub.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/employee-discount-email

Protocol7 posted:

Don't use that other upgrade on your line. You'll lose unlimited. Any new phone purchases pretty much have to be a full-price, no-contract purchase.

But you could upgrade the line that has the upgrade, put that line's original phone back on that line, then put the new phone on the unlimited line. That won't kill your unlimited.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 21, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kitten smoothie posted:

But you could upgrade the line that has the upgrade, put that line's original phone back on that line, then put the new phone on the unlimited line. That won't kill your unlimited.

Sneaky sneaky. But you do end up paying a lot in activation fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

Sneaky sneaky. But you do end up paying a lot in activation fees.

You would pay an activation fee or upgrade fee or whatever they call it for the line that takes the upgrade, same as you would in any other case. But swapping the phones after the fact costs nothing and does not incur additional activation fees.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 21, 2013

• Locked thread