Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

What?! Oh, I would be all over this. 3DSs are region-locked, right? :sigh:

Yes, yes they are :sigh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm glad this is happening, even if it's eShop only. It's a fun little game and I hope it can get G.Rev into the US market a little more, not just for that Game Center CX title but whatever future things they have planned. They're one of my new favorite developers and I like when they have something new (except maybe Mamoru-kun).

Speaking of developers I love, I hope Treasure's 3DS project is revealed soon. Even if it's a remake of a previous property I'll be jumping on it when it happens.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

Emalde posted:

I think it's most commonly suggested to play the one that sounds better to you last. :v:

So if you have a big hard-on for the various puzzles you encounter in the 2D Zeldas, play Seasons first [because Ages is mostly puzzles]. If you enjoy getting really swole and killing a bunch of dudes in different ways, play Ages first [because Seasons is mostly combat]. The game you play second will come with an extra dungeon for the ~true ending~ and an extra series of side-quests.

I did the opposite of this. To be fair though some kid stole my ages cart before I even got much chance to play it until some years later when I found a cart for cheap. Being a kid I never really figured out the password system, and I also had a gameshark. Which led to me horribly corrupting my games until they became an unplayable mess. Maybe I should go back and actually beat the games again.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Oracle of Ages has turned into mini game hell for me. Please tell me that Seasons isn't so bad in that regard.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Unoriginal posted:

Oracle of Ages has turned into mini game hell for me. Please tell me that Seasons isn't so bad in that regard.

Nah Seasons has one mandatory minigame early in the game but it's easy and that's it. Ages is really bad about the minigame padding.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Unoriginal posted:

Off the top of my head I can remember one irritating one. It's mandatory for story progression so that might be a pain in the rear end.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Crow_Robot posted:

Hey

where the gently caress is the localization for the Drsgon Warrior Monsters remake

If it helps, I've been spamming every Club Nintendo survey I fill out asking them to please localize that and DQ7. I doubt it'll do much but hell it's something. :shobon:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I just finished Super Mario 3D Land with three stars in every level. Just kept cutting at every single level until it worked for me. Lost a ton (265) of lives, but it was worth it. Amazing game.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

ChaosArgate posted:

Off the top of my head I can remember one irritating one. It's mandatory for story progression so that might be a pain in the rear end.

Is it the Goron Dance? Because agh, I'm stuck on that one. I don't know if I'm deaf, have terrible coordination or what...

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Matlock posted:

I just finished Super Mario 3D Land with three stars in every level. Just kept cutting at every single level until it worked for me. Lost a ton (265) of lives, but it was worth it. Amazing game.

I've been having a ton of fun with DKC Returns and am really impressed with how fluid and fun it is, and I kind of want to get another platformer or two. Is 3D Land the best one around, or is there something even better?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Is Link 'n' Launch or Metroid 2 worth it?

I have enough Club Nintendo coins to buy one.

Should I just save the coins and wait?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

Is it the Goron Dance? Because agh, I'm stuck on that one. I don't know if I'm deaf, have terrible coordination or what...

Just make use of the save state system. Took a lot of frustration away.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Matlock posted:

Yeah, I popped it back in and ran through a few worlds after getting my XL the other day. Really fun game, truly an actual conversion of the original Super Mario formula to 3D. Only problem is a slight lack of content (yeah, special worlds and whatever, but that's just a remix of the existing stages they threw in to pad the game when they realised they had to rush it out to help push the system).

Really got me all the more excited for 3D World at the end of the year.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

sentrygun posted:

I've been having a ton of fun with DKC Returns and am really impressed with how fluid and fun it is, and I kind of want to get another platformer or two. Is 3D Land the best one around, or is there something even better?

3D Land is great!

But I've been completely blown away by DKCR. (I skipped the Wii version.) It has to be literally one of the best platformers of all time.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

3D Land is great!

But I've been completely blown away by DKCR. (I skipped the Wii version.) It has to be literally one of the best platformers of all time.

I totally agree. I played through the Wii version, but didn't really dabble with Time Trials or the extra stuff. I'm enjoying the 3DS version even more, as there is no waggle to get frustrated about ( in the Wii version you had to flick the remote to roll, also no Pro controller support ). It really is one of the best platformers of all time.

Say what you will about various games featuring Mario, but I'll be damned if Super Mario 3D Land isn't one of the best Mario-games there is. I had as much fun with it as I once had with Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. It's that good. It's too bad the 2D Mario games haven't been able to hold a candle to the 3D ones, though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I realise it doesn't support the Classic Controller either, but there's a difference between them.

Pro Controller = Wii U only
Classic Controller = Wii and Wii U

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I realise it doesn't support the Classic Controller either, but there's a difference between them.

Pro Controller = Wii U only
Classic Controller = Wii and Wii U

Don't forget the "Classic Controller Pro" with the extended grips...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jtm33 posted:

Don't forget the "Classic Controller Pro" with the extended grips...

That's just a variant of the Classic Controller though, which is functionally the same.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

That's just a variant of the Classic Controller though, which is functionally the same.

Yeah I know, was really commenting on the naming confusion there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

No, there's no Goron Dance in Seasons. There is a different dance though and I found it irritating as hell. Abuse your save state and you should be fine.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!
Are any of the new games for Streetpass any good?
I've finished Streetpass Quest enough times to have all the hats and kinda want something in addition to the goddamn puzzles.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ChaosArgate posted:

No, there's no Goron Dance in Seasons. There is a different dance though and I found it irritating as hell. Abuse your save state and you should be fine.

I'm not sure why that's spoilered since that dance is near the very beginning of the game, but I think its optional since you don't need to get the original boomerang.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This seems promising:

"Conker's Bad Fur Day developer Chris Seavor has returned to Nintendo platforms with eShop game Rusty Pup.

Seavor, who created the cult adult N64 game and worked on many others while at Rare, told NintendoLife that The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup is a 2D platformer with dark elements and a hint of Lemmings.

'It's a very sad tale,' he said. 'It's not dark as in mature - it's not got swearing in it, or anything like that. It's quite a serious and adult story, but still a fun and hopefully playable game with lots going on. There will be moments of dark humour, but nothing gory.'

Seavor is working with fellow ex-Rare developer Shawn Pile on Rusty Pup, which is set for the Wii U and 3DS eShops at some point next year."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm not sure why that's spoilered since that dance is near the very beginning of the game, but I think its optional since you don't need to get the original boomerang.

It was just to be safe, and I'm pretty sure you need the boomerang to hit a switch.

AngstyFerrets
Aug 1, 2012

a man is only as good as his word. my word is laserfight. im pretty incredible

torjus posted:

I've finished Streetpass Quest enough times to have all the hats and kinda want something in addition to the goddamn puzzles.

I thought Streetpass Battle looked pretty cool, but I'm not getting any of them until StreetPass gets updated with the ability to collect people with public wifi spots. Is there a release date for that yet?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ChaosArgate posted:

It was just to be safe, and I'm pretty sure you need the boomerang to hit a switch.

Bombs can hit the switch too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sentrygun posted:

3D Land is absurdly good. And there's a ton of great levels. Can't recommend it enough. I do like DKCR better, but only just.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

General Morden posted:

Is Link 'n' Launch or Metroid 2 worth it?

I have enough Club Nintendo coins to buy one.

Should I just save the coins and wait?
Personally I'd skip Metroid II, since they've offered $10 N64 games as rewards in the past. In this case it seems like a better deal to just spend the $3.99. Depends on whether or not you care about Wii VC games though.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

torjus posted:

The shmup is very well made.
The haunted mansion is fun in a sort-of dungeon crawler way.
The battle game is interesting with a rock-scissors-paper battle system, although even type advantages can be negated by throwing enough troops at the enemy.
The gardening thing makes no sense at all, and it's boring.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The 3DS Paper Mario isn't like the N64/Gamecube ones is it? No party members and it's got the sticker based battle system, what about the story and dialogue? Is it as funny?

Trying to work out if a 3DS is worth it, I'd probably get either the Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing special ones just because they work out pretty cheap with the game and look kind of neat. Both those games look pretty good, haven't played an Animal Crossing game since the Gamecube one. Apart from those I'd probably look at Layton, Pushmo/Crashmo, that strategy Tom Clancy game, Super Mario 3d Land, possibly Luigis Mansion, Monster Hunter, Paper Mario depending on the answer to the question above. That's a pretty good list of games I suppose, there are probably others I'm forgetting. Have there been any rumors of a new Advance Wars game?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 21, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

thebardyspoon posted:

The 3DS Paper Mario isn't like the N64/Gamecube ones is it? No party members and it's got the sticker based battle system, what about the story and dialogue? Is it as funny?

I will admit the dialogue is cute and funny at times but absolutely nowhere near as jam-packed as, say, Thousand-Year Door.

The story is the most cookie-cutter out of all of them, and almost non-existent.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't remember Donkey Kong Country Returns being so generous with the items on the Wii... between the DK Barrel, Invincibility potion, and extra heart you can essentially get crazy like 17 or 18 HIts in before you die, considering you don't pick up additional DK barrels along the way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Astro7x posted:

I don't remember Donkey Kong Country Returns being so generous with the items on the Wii... between the DK Barrel, Invincibility potion, and extra heart you can essentially get crazy like 17 or 18 HIts in before you die, considering you don't pick up additional DK barrels along the way.

Returns on 3DS lets you pick between Wii mode or 3DS mode when you create a new file. "3ds Mode" they add lots more items and make the game a good bit easier, and you start with an extra heart. "Wii Mode" is Wii Mode.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Color Printer posted:

I will admit the dialogue is cute and funny at times but absolutely nowhere near as jam-packed as, say, Thousand-Year Door.

The story is the most cookie-cutter out of all of them, and almost non-existent.

Man, most of the time I can gloss over franchises that get dumbed down and ruined, and call it a day while I play other good games.

But never, ever with Paper Mario. Thousand Year Door is a goddamn masterpiece. Beyond the aforementioned insane amounts of content, it was just so polished and it had that special quality, that real AAA sheen where great writing and gameplay and graphics all meet to create a truly magical experience that still holds up perfectly to this day.

After that game came out I was sure that Paper Mario would end up being regarded as potentially the best RPG series of all time, should they continue to polish that same formula with future titles. But welp.

If you like RPGs and haven't played TYD, go buy it, buy a cube or a wii or whatever the hell and just dig in, it's that good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have a copy of DKCR they want to trade for either Kid Icarus or Tales of the Abyss? Not digging either of them and loved the demo of DKCR.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Right. I cracked and bought an XL just because I need to play Animal Crossing. I'm a 39 year old man.

I'm totally out of the loop with regards to Nintendo. I'll grab Fire Emblem at some point. Other than that, right now I have a 3DS and Animal Crossing. Is there anything in particular a new 3DS owner who knows gently caress all about recent Nintendo stuff needs to know? If so, lay it on me.

I swore I wouldn't get a 3DS. Region locked, one sticked bullshit that it is. That loving Tom Nook though.

I have no regrets.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
As mentioned, Mario 3D Land is pretty much a must. It feels as fresh and exciting as Mario 64 did to me in 5th grade. It's that good.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also DKC Returns is baller if you're after even more platforming goodness.

I'd play it some more, but Animal Crossing has been the only game running on my handheld since its release. :allears:
(I still don't know why)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Dunno what do you like? I mean, I can tell you what I like as a fellow adult (albeit only 27 years old)...

-Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, which is a story-driven puzzle game that's enjoyable and has pretty solid difficulty depending on the puzzle. Charming art style. Buy if you like puzzles.

-Etrian Odyssey IV, which is a Wizardry-style first person dungeon crawler where you draw your own maps of the dungeons on the bottom screen. Very difficult compared to many 3DS titles, with pretty hardcore RPG trappings. Will kill you on the regular, so must have patience and willingness to fail.

-Fire Emblem, not much needs to be said I guess. Strategic tile-based combat with focus on character development. Pretty good. It's great but I probably like it less than most people.

-Supercard DSTWO for general DS stuff, which is heavily worthwhile.

-Mario 3D Land, welp it's Mario in 3D, if you like Mario platforming this is a must-buy.

-Luigi's Mansion, great exploration-based game, slow pace overall but if the idea of turning over every stone in a haunted mansion sounds fun then you'll like it. Not for the ADD gamer at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Parkingtigers posted:

Right. I cracked and bought an XL just because I need to play Animal Crossing. I'm a 39 year old man.

I'm totally out of the loop with regards to Nintendo. I'll grab Fire Emblem at some point. Other than that, right now I have a 3DS and Animal Crossing. Is there anything in particular a new 3DS owner who knows gently caress all about recent Nintendo stuff needs to know? If so, lay it on me.

I swore I wouldn't get a 3DS. Region locked, one sticked bullshit that it is. That loving Tom Nook though.

I have no regrets.

Well, I don't now how long you've been out of the Nintendo loop, but there's also 3DS remakes of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64. Both are solid, but very different games, so it depends on what you like. Also Luigi's Mansion, which came out recently.

Other than that, there's a humungous DS library with loads and loads of great games you can draw upon as well.

• Locked thread