Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

.TakaM posted:

Do they still have levels where you need to memorize which blocks to get shot out of? That was the only thing I didn't really like in the first game.

There were less of those stages than in the first one, if I remember right (I'm still working through getting par time on the first game at the moment, so my recollection on those particular puzzles is fuzzy at the moment), but there are more of those puzzles involving the different-colored blocks you alternately lock in place. In fact, they added stages where you need to deal with three different colors of those blocks at a time.

Wark Say posted:

Since this thread has been rife with awesome recommendations, I must ask for your advice once more, goons: After chowing down on Fire Emblem: Awakening and seeing the enjoyment I've got our of it so far(3rd playthrough currently), are the 2 DS Games worth it? Also, gameplay-wise, how do they hold up in comparison with FE:A?

The only one that was released outside of Japan of the two was Shadow Dragon, and as was mentioned, it's a port of the Famicom original. It's equal parts unforgiving, newbie-unfriendly, and archaic. That being said, I still enjoyed it, and it's the only official release of the original game outside of Japan, so it has historic merit, if you're into that kind of thing (I am). I love FE:A, but compared to the other games in the series, it's pretty easy overall, but at least it has adjustable difficulty. If you enjoyed playing the game at a harder difficulty with permadeath and don't mind missing out on grinding experience and weapon proficiency and such, then you may enjoy Shadow Dragon.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Shadow Dragon's weird in that it actually encourages you to off your characters, since that's how you get the paralogues in it. It's kind of a dumb system.

I haven't actually played New Mystery, but judging from the LPs, it's in many ways just as much a prototype for Awakening as it is a remake of FE3. It's got a customizable Avatar, multiple difficulties, casual mode, and a forge. There's a fan-translation for it, so if you're willing to emulate, it might be worth playing. It seems to only have Seize maps and an obnoxious mechanic where only Marth can visit villages though.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 22, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Worth noting that the DS Shadow Dragon sequel, Heroes of Light and Shadow got a fan translation a while back, so if you're up for importing, that's now an option too.

Not having played it, does anyone know how it compares to FE:SD?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

fount of knowledge posted:

Worth noting that the DS Shadow Dragon sequel, Heroes of Light and Shadow got a fan translation a while back, so if you're up for importing, that's now an option too.

It's miles better than SD. It's been expanded with base conversations sort of like Radient Dawn and is much more user friendly. It also has a casual mode like Awakening too.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shadow Dragon is basically a 20 year old game with a bad paint job and a crazy sacrificing mechanic added in, where you had to make your own fun to get the most enjoyment out of it.

The sequel is a remake of a much better game and introduced some cool new things before Awakening took them and ran. If you've got even a passing interest in FE:SD then you'll enjoy the sequel a lot more.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

There's an LP of it going on now, so you can take a look and see how it stacks up. EDIT: ^^^^ Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

The LP also has somebody doing a run on Reverse Lunatic, which is hilariously sadistic and not recommended for people who like to play games for fun.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I like New Mystery quite a bit more than Awakening, since it has the good features (avatar, forging, reclassing) without the bad features (pair up, grinding, absurd stat caps) and generally better map design and difficulty balance. It's absolutely worth the trouble of patching/emulating if you like the mechanics of Fire Emblem more than the anime politics, since the plot and characters are still very dry and dull.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you like Fire Emblem you should try out Ghost Recon 3DS. I got mine for like $9 at a used game store. It's more fun IMO

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I tried to play the sequel to Shadow Dragon via emulation but honestly Awakening is so much better it's hard to go back. (The fact that the emulator was making the sound unbearable didn't help)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whatever happened to Rune Factory? Is that still in development or did it just drop off the face of the earth? I could have sworn it was getting close to completion.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pollyanna posted:

Whatever happened to Rune Factory? Is that still in development or did it just drop off the face of the earth? I could have sworn it was getting close to completion.

It's still coming, XSEED's just taking their sweet time with the localisation. They tweet about it every other day, I think they're pretty close to being done.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can't believe there's no red hair option in the Mii Maker. There's a reddish brown, but my hair is like, crazy bright red and it doesn't even come close. I'm actually pretty pissed about this, I can usually make a character that looks exactly like me in every character maker, but my Mii is some lame boring brown haired schmuck.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

I can't believe there's no red hair option in the Mii Maker. There's a reddish brown, but my hair is like, crazy bright red and it doesn't even come close. I'm actually pretty pissed about this, I can usually make a character that looks exactly like me in every character maker, but my Mii is some lame boring brown haired schmuck.

As a red/green colourblind ginger, I was unaware of this until now :sigh:

Also I'm really not feeling the New Super Mario Bros 2, gonna try to trade it in for 3D Land or Mariokart 7. It's too much like the same ole thing that I just did finishing the Japanese version of Super Mario Advance 2...

Does anyone know where to get the NGC and Wii Fire Emblems for cheaper than $50/each? That had me pretty bummed out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fonzarelli posted:

I really wish the Mii maker would do what the Xbox Avatar maker did and have super colourful hair colours as a secret thing. I'd make so many pink-haired Miis.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fonzarelli posted:

loving bigots

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
More avatar creators need to give you RGB sliders for hair color. You can dye your hair whatever color you want, so why not let people have a Mii with hair in any color of the rainbow?

Dec 26, 2012

Chaltab posted:

I tried to play the sequel to Shadow Dragon via emulation but honestly Awakening is so much better it's hard to go back. (The fact that the emulator was making the sound unbearable didn't help)

They have pretty different strengths. FE12 is especially notable for using and improving on FE3's solid map design, which FE13 didn't really seem to focus on for the most part.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tRnzsNEm0

They've said late August, but who knows.
And of course, that's only for the Americas. We filthy Europeans have to wait another year or so, probably. v:v:v

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tusen Takk posted:

Does anyone know where to get the NGC and Wii Fire Emblems for cheaper than $50/each? That had me pretty bummed out.

Circuit City in 2008 :downsrim:

You might get lucky at GameStop on the Wii one, other than that you'd have to luck into a garage sale or Craigslist or thrift store where someone is letting it go cheaper.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Terper posted:

They've said late August, but who knows.
And of course, that's only for the Americas. We filthy Europeans have to wait another year or so, probably. v:v:v

gently caress region-locking forever. :argh:
I still don't get it.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Try a swapmeet to see if they have it, usually you can haggle with the guy.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Almost beat mario land which is really good after going through special stages. So then I went out and bought my first donkey kong game ever, pretty drat good.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

FrickenMoron posted:

I still don't get it.

It (allegedly) maximizes profit, that's all there is to get.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I was ridiculously happy to discover I picked up a Mii from Streetpass on the way home, and used him in that Find Mii game. Apparently I picked up a hat for my Mii, but I can't work out how to equip it.

Also, what's the easiest way of getting screenshots off of a 3DS? I just want a quick and dirty way of getting them onto IMGUR so I can show my Animal Crossing stuff in the thread, or post a pic to a friend.

I know it's probably foolish to ask, but do Nintendo ever do good sales or price drops on their digital games? I've gotten used to an all digital collection on my Vita, and decent store prices on PSN if you wait a bit. Am I right to assume that Nintendo just sell for whatever the gently caress they want and leave it at that?

Final question (and my apologies), but are all these old games on the 3DS virtual console optimized for 3D or do the just work in 2D? Despite the bullshit prices for some very, very old games, I'm kind of leaning towards picking up a couple for shits and giggles. Gameboy Tetris is still the only Tetris a boy could ever need. I'm actually digging the 3D gimmick more than I ever thought I would. I'm strangely enamoured with this device.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So my screen protectors are coming in later today. Hopefully I don't mess up putting them on. I'm still a bit upset that there are already a few scratches on the top screen, having it rest on the edges that border the bottom screen was a huge design flaw. :argh:

Edit:To equip hats, click on your Mii in the Mii plaza. Change Hat is under Mii Settings.

Double Edit: Nintendo is also pretty good about matching the price of digital games, to the price of the physical carts. Though I think it is more up to the developer of the game than anything.

crazkylo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 22, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I picked up Shining Force on the VC and ohhhhh man.
I used to own this game (it might still be buried in my closet somewhere) when I was a kid.
I probably have not played it since the mid 90s but as soon as I heard the music and sound effects it all came rushing back. Amazing that these memories were still in my mind somewhere.
But yeah awesome times. This was my first strategy RPG before I even really understood the genre.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, what's the easiest way of getting screenshots off of a 3DS? I just want a quick and dirty way of getting them onto IMGUR so I can show my Animal Crossing stuff in the thread, or post a pic to a friend.

I think the quickest way is to just put the SD card in your computer. Though if you go to i.nintendo.net in the 3DS browser, you can upload to Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr from there. You could also email the pictures to yourself using the 3DS browser.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Fire up the browser and go to i.nintendo.net. It only works with a few titles (including Animal Crossing); it wouldn't let me upload my streetpass garden photos when I tried yesterday. It's super convenient, though. You can upload stuff while you're running a game and it hooks into tumblr/twitter/Facebook after you enter your login details for each.

quote:

Final question (and my apologies), but are all these old games on the 3DS virtual console optimized for 3D or do the just work in 2D? Despite the bullshit prices for some very, very old games, I'm kind of leaning towards picking up a couple for shits and giggles. Gameboy Tetris is still the only Tetris a boy could ever need. I'm actually digging the 3D gimmick more than I ever thought I would. I'm strangely enamoured with this device.
The only 3D-enhanced old school games on the eshop are the NES ones under the 3D classics label (Excitebike, Urban Champion, Xevious, Twinbee and Kirby's Adventure). All the rest are straight-up emulated versions of the originals. The Game Boy/Game Boy Color games have some nice touches though; if you fire them up while holding start they run at their original resolution inside a border that looks like the old handhelds, and with 3D turned on the virtual screen is visibly sunken behind the frame. You can even opt to play original GB games with a pea-soup-green filter instead of Game Boy Pocket-style monochrome if that takes your fancy. :allears:

Pretty sure the available Game Gear games have similar enhancements but I don't have any so I can't go into any great detail. Supposedly Sega's planning on bringing their own 3D Classics-style remasters to the western eshops soon, so look out for Ecco The Dolphin, After Burner and Space Harrier when they drop.

Man, I hope they do Outrun and Fantasy Zone at some point.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

crazkylo posted:

Hopefully I don't mess up putting them on.

As long as you get at least one corner down cleanly you'll be fine.

Specks of dust and even stray fingerprints can be removed with the aid of sellotape - use one piece to lift the protector and another to capture the offending dirt.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Because I was really annoyed with the available image hosts, I made my own image uploader: http://acimag.es/ (homepage is only available from the 3DS browser, though you can see images from your PC of course)
It's still work in progress so there may be the occasional bug and the layout is a bit weird in some places, but it works. It's also being updated daily.

Only works for AC screenshots, at the moment.

If you want to post images online, please rehost them at imgur or whatever. You can right click & copy the image, go to imgur and type ctrl+v to paste it for an easy way to rehost. You can also copy the image URL and paste it into imgur.

Edit: I hope this is OK to post. It's ad free and whatnot.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 22, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated, one and all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I finally bought an XL....and it won't connect to my apt complex's wifi :negative:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Just got around to starting Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and my God, that game is super loving gorgeous. The 3D is the best I've seen on the system so far and the game itself might be the prettiest there is right now. You should have a look if you haven't seen it yet, it's stunning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FrickenMoron posted:

I still don't get it.

If it helps, at least Ninendo is the last company still sticking with it, so chances are it probably wont be around in future. (It doesn't help.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

If it helps, at least Ninendo is the last company still sticking with it, so chances are it probably wont be around in future. (It doesn't help.)

I wouldn't say "sticking with it" as much as "expanding it" because the 3DS is the first handheld ever to be region locked on top of their home consoles. I don't see them going region free again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sakurazuka posted:

The Xbone is region locked.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

njsykora posted:

No it's not, they got rid of that when they axed the always-online DRM.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

njsykora posted:

Not anymore, they opened it up while they were dropping the rest of their DRM.

e:f,b

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Got a new job recently and I feel like celebrating with an XL; any bundles that are still widely available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Got a new job recently and I feel like celebrating with an XL; any bundles that are still widely available?

Animal Crossing bundle is available through 3rd party channels. Walmart does unofficial bundles which are solid deals.

• Locked thread