Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Has anyone tried that Urban Trial Freestyle game on the eShop? I'd love to play a decent Trials kind of game on a handheld!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hace posted:

I must be really really terrible at Advance Wars because Fire Emblem is leaps and bounds easier for me.

I always considered FE to be much harder since I always was worried that if I lost any characters that I'd lose some amazing storyline, whereas with AW, most units were highly disposable and replaceable, so if I lost half of my troops in one fight, it didn't matter too much since I usually got more in the next one and I could always make more. Also you don't lose storyline when a footsoldier dies :v:.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah and in most of the Advance Wars missions you get factories to build new units so you can win through attrition eventually. Each Advance Wars had it's share of bullshit missions but nothing like the stuff FE has sometimes.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wasn't every mission in every Advance Wars ever full of nothing but chess piece soulless canon fodder units that you could use however you saw fit as long as you won the battle, with no bearing on anything beyond the ranking you received upon completion?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

BadAstronaut posted:

Wasn't every mission in every Advance Wars ever full of nothing but chess piece soulless canon fodder units that you could use however you saw fit as long as you won the battle, with no bearing on future missions beyond the ranking you received upon completion?

Pretty much. In fact the game was SO chess like I remember looking up turn by turn guides for the last mission in Dual Strike because unless you did it PERFECTLY you were guaranteed to lose. Also the AI always went for APCs so you could distract it pretty easily.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fooley posted:

I remember looking up turn by turn guides for the last mission in Dual Strike because unless you did it PERFECTLY you were guaranteed to lose.

I'm pretty sure you mean Days of Ruin because Dual Strike's final level is incredibly easy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I really always felt like Advance Wars required a lot more strategy than Fire Emblem. Managing your money, which units to create etc. I like Fire Emblem better overall but I've always thought of it as a lot easier/more simplistic than AW. (Especially once you get into the Hard Campaign modes, those are brutal)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

FLX posted:

Has anyone tried that Urban Trial Freestyle game on the eShop? I'd love to play a decent Trials kind of game on a handheld!
Haven't tried it, but it looks like it might be the new best eshop game.

Apparently the track editor is exclusive to the 3DS version.
Couldn't find any 3DS footage sadly, here's Giant Bomb's quick look on PS3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeTyDapPl8

edit-
There are some 3D screenshots on the eshop and they look pretty nice, release date 27/06 with a discount price for the first week.

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 23, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm pretty sure you mean Days of Ruin because Dual Strike's final level is incredibly easy.
I think he's talking about Advance Wars 2, actually. The final battle in requires pretty much absolute precision as to where you put your units on what day in relation to the enemy or otherwise you'll get worn down by their Dark Cannons.
I never even made it to the last mission of Days of Ruin because seriously gently caress that game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This is the final mission in Dual Strike.

Are you sure you don't mean the second to last level or fake-out final level?

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Just got 40 bucks worth of eShop credit. Bought Animal Crossing and now I have $5 left over. Anything awesome worth picking up?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Aafter posted:

Just got 40 bucks worth of eShop credit. Bought Animal Crossing and now I have $5 left over. Anything awesome worth picking up?

Go check out the Virtual Console. There's plenty of good stuff there.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Aafter posted:

Donkey Kong 94, Link's Awakening, or one of the Oracle games.

VVV Totally worth the $1+ he'd have to add too.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fooley posted:

Donkey Kong 94, Link's Awakening, or one of the Oracle games.

Link's Awakening is $6

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Got my screen protector in, Managed to get it on with only one bubble forming that was easy to remove. Now I just need to wait for the case I ordered to come in and I'll be set.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Holy poo poo I just got my first streetpass out in the wild after having this thing for over 2 months. He had a cool glowy skull hat and a poo poo load of puzzle pieces including a bunch of pink ones. I clearly need to figure out where this guy hangs out.

Weirdest part: His mii name and my real name are the same.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

It's u from the future.

Someone at my job has a 3DS but she's not playing New Leaf so WHAT'S THE FUCKIN POINT???

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I work with 3 other folks that have a 3ds. None of them have any new pieces for me, I like to think I'm some kind of Super Hero that goes around spreading all of my rare puzzle pieces.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

It's u from the future.

Someone at my job has a 3DS but she's not playing New Leaf so WHAT'S THE FUCKIN POINT???

This guy apparently doesn't play AC either, only got Mario Kart data from him which is disappointing. Could at least play Fire Emblem like a civilized human :argh:

Also Find Mii is the dumbest thing when you don't get many streetpasses.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Or you do get streetpasses, but no one freaking has a white shirt, not even heroes I buy with coins, so everyone gets to the dark room and runs away.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Aerofallosov posted:

Or you do get streetpasses, but no one freaking has a white shirt, not even heroes I buy with coins, so everyone gets to the dark room and runs away.

I specifically switched my shirt to white because of this happening to me for like 2 months so it didn't happen to others.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah, I wear white. My US 3DS Mii is set to yellow.
I ordered my son to wear yellow in return for me wearing white.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

How do I get the stupid O on the first level of DKCR?

vvv Thanks that did it!

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 23, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

In every DKC game, you can roll off an edge and jump in mid-air to cancel out of it. I think Cranky will ramdomly mention it in DKCR. I know he does at some point in the franchise.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

CandyCrazy posted:

In every DKC game, you can roll off an edge and jump in mid-air to cancel out of it. I think Cranky will ramdomly mention it in DKCR. I know he does at some point in the franchise.
The roll + jump also makes you jump farther, so keep that in mind.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

And I also figured out that when you roll with diddy you can just keep rolling by spamming the button. This game is really good so far. I bought it when it shipped but only played for like an hour then got sidetracked. I like that when you die a bunch (happens to me often) you get the option of doing the cheat mode instead of just automatically getting super powers like in 3D land. Yes game I know I've died 8 times on the mine carts but I still want to beat it myself thank you. The graphics and 3d are drat good too. Some of the best I've seen on the 3ds. Glad I have the xl though, I imagine it would be kind of hard to see certain things on a regular 3ds.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
DK is actually quite challenging early on too. I sure died a bunch on that level with the wave.

Mario Land I didn't start losing lots of lives until the special stages.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I don't know. Even with the uber raccoon suit, you could still die to lava pits, missing jumps, etc.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

.TakaM posted:

Haven't tried it, but it looks like it might be the new best eshop game.
Apparently the track editor is exclusive to the 3DS version.
Couldn't find any 3DS footage sadly, here's Giant Bomb's quick look on PS3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeTyDapPl8

edit-
There are some 3D screenshots on the eshop and they look pretty nice, release date 27/06 with a discount price for the first week.

Oh, I didn't read right! I thought it was out already. It definitely looks great, but with graphics like that I could imagine bad frame rates on the 3DS. Hope that's not the case and that there's online track sharing.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Regarding the new streetpass games - do they all have hats which are unique to them? Or if I only buy one of them, will I be able to able to eventually access all the new hats? There's no way I'm spending £15 on all of them, but I might consider getting one of them.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Balcony posted:

Regarding the new streetpass games - do they all have hats which are unique to them? Or if I only buy one of them, will I be able to able to eventually access all the new hats? There's no way I'm spending £15 on all of them, but I might consider getting one of them.

Whoa. Buying hats.. new streetpass game.. did I miss something? I know there was a system update that hit about 2-3 days ago, I bought/downloaded MMVI, and haven't touched it since. Is there a 3rd streetpass game now?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How do streetpasses work with regards to animal crossing? Does the game have to be the current game being played while your system is in your pocket to get stuff for it? What kind of things do you get?

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

trunkwontopen posted:

Whoa. Buying hats.. new streetpass game.. did I miss something? I know there was a system update that hit about 2-3 days ago, I bought/downloaded MMVI, and haven't touched it since. Is there a 3rd streetpass game now?

Yes. Well actually, there's a 3rd,4th,5th and 6th! They are all paid DLC with new hats (and costumes I think?). There are also some more puzzle panels for games such as xenoblade and NSMBU, which are free as usual.

Doug Dinsdale provided a good description of all the new games in the e-shop thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#post416618514

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Macaluso posted:

How do streetpasses work with regards to animal crossing? Does the game have to be the current game being played while your system is in your pocket to get stuff for it? What kind of things do you get?

You just have to activate StreetPass in AC and then don't need it in your 3DS anymore for StreetPassing. You exchange your houses as model homes with other players, so you can visit their homes and order their furniture.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Balcony posted:

The way the new hats works is that there is one hat you get for buying each game so unless you buy all four you will never get those ones, and then the rest of the hats you get through the ticket exchange.
Each of the new games has their own achievements like the old Streetpass stuff does, but for each of the new achievements you complete you earn one plaza ticket which can be exchanged for one hat at the ticket exchange (which has four hats available to buy that changes daily).
I haven't been through and done the maths, but each game seems to have around 22 achievements and by looking at all the new ???'s listed on the hat select list I could easily see there being 88 new hats (there isn't anything else to use plaza tickets on so I don't see why they would give you more than you can use, and not giving you enough to get all hats would be a dick move). So if you bought only one of the games the only hats you would miss are the ones for buying the other games and you have the chance to get all the other hats, but you'd only be able to get a quarter or so of them.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Any word on how long until other territories get the Streetpass update? Not that I'm not enjoying having the upper hand on release schedules for once :mmmsmug:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I am finally able to get a 3DS this week, after waiting 3 months.

If it on sale ANYWHERE though? It seems like constantly you can get it somewhere for $20 off. I've checked all the usual suspects, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, online and haven't seen any sales, but I'm wondering if these are the kind of sales you only get in a mailer or in a newspaper insert.

This is all for the US of course. Also can anyone recommend me an SD card where I'll get the best price. I'll be downloading the vast majority of games I play so I'll want a big one.

Finally, will the 3DS automatically register when I link the eShop to my Club Nintendo account? I would like to wait until July before registering it to make sure all those coins go to the next year, but I'll also want to link the eShop right away.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I guess I'm missing the boat on all the Resident Evil hype on 3DS. Playing the demo just felt sluggish and not fun.

Gameplay videos show enemies having life bars and other stuff, I guess that's just in Raid mode?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Has anyone played the new Castlevania? If so, how is it? I've seen very mixed reviews.
Edit: Nevermind, didn't realise there was a demo!

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Eruonen posted:

Has anyone played the new Castlevania? If so, how is it? I've seen very mixed reviews.
Edit: Nevermind, didn't realise there was a demo!

The consensus is that it is a bad Castlevania, but a decent God of War style beat em up with a subpar framerate.
But try the demo.

• Locked thread