Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
If you had an infinite number of gurms and an infinite number of typewriters do you think book 6 would ever get finished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Of course not, they would just write infinite blog posts about football instead.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

pentyne posted:

It's not that they don't know her name,

No, it is that they don't know her name. She's almost never referred to as Dany or Daenerys in the show, everyone addresses her as Khaleesi. Without the inner monologue of the books where she thinks of herself as Dany, these people legitimately think her name is Khaleesi. I find it more disturbing the ones who name their kid Daenerys, because they know enough to know her actual name yet still named their kid after her.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can't wait until someone names their kid Darkstar.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

She's almost never referred to as Dany or Daenerys in the show, everyone addresses her as Khaleesi. Without the inner monologue of the books where she thinks of herself as Dany, these people legitimately think her name is Khaleesi.

She never thinks of herself as Dany in the books, nor do any of the other characters ever refer to her as such (only Daenerys, Khaleesi, Your Radiance, Your Grace, etc.). Only the narrator refers to her as Dany.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Don't contradict me in front of the children, honey.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Joramun posted:

She never thinks of herself as Dany in the books, nor do any of the other characters ever refer to her as such (only Daenerys, Khaleesi, Your Radiance, Your Grace, etc.). Only the narrator refers to her as Dany.
Interesting, I thought Jorah called her Dany once and she shut him down.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Don't contradict me in front of the children, honey.

Forgive me, my sun-and-stars.

Talas posted:

Interesting, I thought Jorah called her Dany once and she shut him down.

As it turns out, there is one instance of a character calling her Dany: Viserys, right before he is killed and is pleading to her for his life.

A Game of Thrones posted:

At the last, Viserys looked at her. "Sister, please... Dany, tell them... make them... sweet sister..."

I think that's the only instance, though.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 23, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, regardless of whomever is calling her that, the point was the book says it a bunch. The show, eh, not so much, and is pretty bad about naming most of the cast, hence the awesome "my dad" thing upthread a bit.

LORD WEASEL

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

She screamed her name a lot in S2.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

All I remember her saying in season two was "MY DRAGONS :qq:" over and over. :shrug:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Well, regardless of whomever is calling her that, the point was the book says it a bunch. The show, eh, not so much, and is pretty bad about naming most of the cast, hence the awesome "my dad" thing upthread a bit.

LORD WEASEL

And now 146 American baby girls are essentially named "Wife of a Horse Lord." Thanks, HBO.

Mayhaps one of them will become a global pop sensation one day (Khaleesi Spears). Or a supreme court justice (Khaleesi Day O'Connor).

Or mayhaps not.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

^^^ Maybe if the name REALLY takes off, there will be so many women named Daenerys that it will become an Old Lady Name. Like "Agnes" and "Edith" today, and what "Jennifer" is destined for.

Joramun posted:

There is a giant ~'*'~ DAENERYS ~'*'~ at the beginning of each her chapters, though.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 23, 2013

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Devorum posted:

I have somehow lost my copy of There is Only Lemoncakes. Is it still hosted anywhere, by chance?

http://meatpatrol.org/download/file.php?id=119&sid=bc287b4149f42385be867586ba4e3bdb

Only result for "asoiaf sommawf" on google.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Devorum posted:

I have somehow lost my copy of There is Only Lemoncakes. Is it still hosted anywhere, by chance?

Page 349.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joramun posted:

And now 146 American baby girls are essentially named "Wife of a Horse Lord." Thanks, HBO.

"What was your inspiration for calling your daughter Khaleesi?"
"Well, there's this one scene in the first episode where Khaleesi Targarryham gets raped by a barbarian and I thought, yeah, I could see my future daughter doing that".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A hero's quest that begins with incest and barbarian rape, and ends with spraying of many gallons of dook.

This... THIS is what I'll name my daughter after.

(Now imagine if in the books Dany goes all Hitler and becomes the most deplorable series villain and then dies making GBS threads her guts out. Way to go on naming your kid, worst parents.)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I hope all the parents who named their kids Theon enjoyed his castration this season.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

I hope all the parents who named their kids Theon enjoyed his castration this season.

I wonder how many parents named their kids "Robb".

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Theon is not a name the Gurm invented himself though, so it's not as bad as Khaleesi. Those parents can just pretend they named their demon spawn after one of these Theons instead.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

"I love this show so much that I'm naming my kids after the characters, but gently caress reading that's for nerds".

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
"There's a book?!"

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shoehead posted:

"There's a book?!"

With a TV series this popular, it should come as no surprise that there's a novelization of the TV series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I named my son Urza Planeswalker Thibodeau, after the heroic figure from the Magic: the Gathering universe! Of course, Urza's backstory contains his younger brother, Mishra, who was born one year less a day after Urza, setting up a perpetual cycle of inadequacy and jealousy, so the wife and I figured out the date and worked our hardest to get her knocked up!

Well, at about 18 weeks in, Mishra went to join that great Phyrexian gear system in the sky. Now my entire worlds-destroying conflict is down the drain, too. :mad:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The only acceptable Gurm name to give to your newborn (boy or girl, it matters little and less) is Ser Pounce.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Joramun posted:

The only acceptable Gurm name is Ser Pounce.

Much like the Gurm, you needed editing.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I'd like to announce the birth of my baby girl Un-Cat Hizdar Thompson.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

ShaqDiesel posted:

I'd like to announce the birth of my baby girl Un-Cat Hizdar Thompson.

That will make for a nice conversation starter during her first day at kindergarten.

Teacher: "Why hello there, young lady. What is your name?"
Little girl: "Un-Cat Hizdar Thompson, milady. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
Teacher, confused: "Un... Cat?"
Little girl: "Did I loving stutter?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"Ker...see? Kersee?"

"It's pronounced Sirsay. gently caress, watch a tv show for once in your life, doc."

"And, what the gently caress is with high-me? You're not Mexican, Mr. Miller, you come from Pennsylvania."

"I want my children to have a close relationship, okay? :mad:"

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
This is my son Belwas and daughter Asha; obviously I'm a huge GoT fan haha. Oh you love the show but don't recognize the names? :smuggo:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vargo Shagwell (Jeyne) Westerling, Esquire.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I too love Game of Thrones and named my child after a character. This is my son, Rickon.

Who?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
These are the twins The Mountain and The Greatjon and their sister Thapphireth.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

Joramun posted:

Theon is not a name the Gurm invented himself though, so it's not as bad as Khaleesi. Those parents can just pretend they named their demon spawn after one of these Theons instead.

Though why anyone would name their son Theon based on how terribly the book character screws things up is beyond me.

Apart from dragonlady, most of the women in the series have quite reasonable names; I wouldn't be opposed to a daughter named Sansa or Catelyn.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Lycaeon posted:

Though why anyone would name their son Theon based on how terribly the book character screws things up is beyond me.

Apart from dragonlady, most of the women in the series have quite reasonable names; I wouldn't be opposed to a daughter named Sansa or Catelyn.

Sansa sounds too much like that weight loss scam supplement you get annoying banner ads for.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Rhandhali posted:

Sansa sounds too much like that weight loss scam supplement you get annoying banner ads for.

Ehhhh, it's just an appetite suppressant. It has its uses, but of course a bunch of people will just assume it's a magic panacea and abuse it because they don't know what it does.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Ehhhh, it's just an appetite suppressant. It has its uses, but of course a bunch of people will just assume it's a magic panacea and abuse it because they don't know what it does.

The lemon cravings are a harmless side effect!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I too love Game of Thrones and named my child after a character. This is my son, Rickon.

Who?

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Danaerytol (TM) by Merck

Side effects include:

Explosive diarrhea
Fire resistance
Infertility
Inability to travel west
Daarioitis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU