Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Get into the anti-nerd bunkers because this thread is about to loving explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Nagito did it. It's obvious. He has a perfect alibi, a motive that seems to have "expired" since the murderin's started, and he is a complete and total Red Herring :v: This is a joke.

I am dissappointed we didn't get to see Nidai or Gundam...

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Green Intern posted:

I'm expecting this beach fiasco to end in murder, hopefully before anything too creepy happens.

I am seriously hoping someone dies rather than fanservice happening.

Well, I guess the game met me halfway.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Almost certainly there's going to be a photograph of the attacker given Mahiru's SHSL ability, but their face will be obscured by that mask laying nearby.

As for murderer, I think we can safely count out Hinata, Souda, Ibuki, and Mikan, leaving the swimsuit girls and the remaining four who aren't with the group yet (Nidai, Kuzuryuu, Saionji, and Nagito).

Nanami and Sonia I'm going to count out as possible killers, they seem like they're going to be long-term characters. Who knows though, the game could curveball us on this.

Peko (being gone for a long time) and Akane (covered in blood) are definitely suspicious.

Saionji we saw running from the beach, crying. Since the murder announcement was triggered by Souda finding Mahiru's body, it seems like Saionji was the first one to come across Mahiru's body and Souda was the second, which set off Monobear's requirements.

Kuzuryuu as always has horrendous timing if he's innocent. He could have been the first to come across Mahiru's body (if Saionji was the killer) which again leaves Souda as the second to find her.

Nidai's been missing and is presumably covered with blood too if Akane is any indication. And we know Mahiru was bringing food to Nagito, and Nidai probably has a strong interest in not letting Nagito escape. It's pretty easy to conceive a scenario where Nidai lost control somehow and hit Mahiru with that baseball bat. That doesn't really explain the mask though.

And Nagito of course is suspicious as hell, especially if we find out that he's escaped somehow (which I find likely). Or maybe he escaped, killed Mahiru, then tied himself back up? That could work given that mask, which he'd use to conceal his identity and cause despair so that Hinata could give everyone hope back at the trial.

I don't think we can make any more speculation on the evidence we have so far until there's another update.

(This was an amazing update by the way!)

edit: I forgot about Gundam! But, no, I don't think there's a chance he's a killer. But I'd put him in the Nanami/Sonia category where there's at least a slim possibility that he was the killer rather than the Hinata/Souda/Ibuki/Mikan category where there's absolutely no chance that they're the killer.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 23, 2013

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013
Well, that was actually a pretty funny update. I like how Souda is becoming more of a character and less of just a normal guy.

So far, this is a very interesting case. It seems as if almost everyone can be the culprit this time, because they introduced a lot of red herrings in that update. Every other guy was missing at the time, Kuzuryuu was near the crime (and even mentioned "the plan"), Akane has a bloody forehead, Saionji was running away from the scene of the crime, and only Sonia (and maybe Peko) would know about 'Kira'.

Edit: For those who are confused and only keep up to date with the latest pages, there's an update at the bottom of the previous page.

Tea Bee fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 23, 2013

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
Well poo poo. I really liked Koizumi. :saddowns: I actually knew she was going to die at some point because people don't tag their poo poo on Tumblr, but I didn't know when. I'd hoped she'd at least make it to Chapter 3.

Also I'm starting to hate and like Souda at the same time. He's a perv, but that weird boyish innocence of his keeps him from going full on Hanamura.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mahiru was one of the normaler ones :smith: Souda is completely Yosuke from Persona 4 at this point.

It seems like Souda and Hinata are the only ones we can rule out for sure. Everyone else was later or alone at some point (including Nagito).

Baseball bat to the head was how that girl died in the video game, yes?

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

Baseball bat to the head was how that girl died in the video game, yes?

It was the exact same pose that they found her in, as well.

The Wyzard
Feb 7, 2013

Extra Legal
My bet is that it won't turn on her having photgraphed her killer right before she died.

She's taken a photo of something else, something that the killer doesn't want revealed. Pretty much exactly what the video game was about. It'll be something she photographed before Monobear put out the arcade game.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Poor Souda can't catch a break.

Secret plan to ogle Sonia? Ibuki busts him!
Everyone shows up in their swimsuit? Sonia's got a wetsuit!
Sonia lets him come to the beach? Mahiru's dead!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Hopefully Owari doesn't bleed out in the bathroom, either. She was in bad shape, and I'm not sure I trust the Super High-school Level Nurse to treat a gaping head wound without klutzing something up.

...Goddamnit. People are going to accuse Mikan of being the culprit and she'll have to prove that she has a swimsuit on, too. This loving game.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

Brannock posted:

Almost certainly there's going to be a photograph of the attacker given Mahiru's SHSL ability, but their face will be obscured by that mask laying nearby.

I don't think this will happen. I mean even if Mahiru somehow managed to take a photo of the murderer before she got killed, don't you think the culprit would of done something? Like destroy the evidence? Plus that would make the case far too easy because that mask doesn't really seem like it can cover much, you would be able to tell who did it by the hair.

But still, I wasn't ready for Mahiru to die. I was starting to like her and I thought she would last a bit longer. :(

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

BigDB posted:

I don't think this will happen. I mean even if Mahiru somehow managed to take a photo of the murderer before she got killed, don't you think the culprit would of done something? Like destroy the evidence? Plus that would make the case far too easy because that mask doesn't really seem like it can cover much, you would be able to tell who did it by the hair.

Depending on how complicated this case turns out to be, somebody could have bludgeoned Owari, put the mask on her while she was delirious (to hide the injuries) and posed her attacking Mahiru, too. It's going to be ridiculous.

I also note that Saioniji's obi appears to have been tied by Mahiru; it's the same knot that she's always worn and she can't tie it by herself. That might end up working against her; it means that she didn't change into a swimsuit before Mahiru died, for some reason. I imagine she might try to lie about that.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 23, 2013

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009
Murder aside, I'm really interested of what the implications are of Pekoyama's swimming expedition (assuming it 's real and not her making up an alibi or something). She swam around for 3 hours but couldn't reach any of the other islands? I hate to say it, but it might be the first concrete proof of some kind of virtual reality thing going on. Namely, like as if this were a video game, future levels don't actually exist until the previous levels are completed. I hate that this is the first explanation that comes to mind, since I feel a twist of "we're all in a video game" to be stupid on the level of "It was all just a dream". I hope the characters discuss this later in the case (possibly when considering Peko's alibi) so we can get more details on what was happening here.

In regards to the actual case, I'm getting the feeling that fanservice is going to factor into the case once again, with what each of the girls was wearing being important somehow as evidence. Like, who could have washed blood off of themselves discreetly, given what they were wearing. Thing like, "If Sonia were splattered with blood, would wearing a wetsuit make it easier to clean" sort of questions. At least the fanservice is being worked into the plot, as opposed to just being there for its own sake, I guess?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Aw, geez. That's one character that was actually relatively stable for most of the time she was around.

My guess is that it might be Saionji, but then again there wasn't any blood on her while she was running past the diner.

My guess is that it's either a girl who did it, because of the video game, or it's a red herring and it really was one of the guys - but it doesn't seem likely that it's Souda, Nagito or Nidai. Which leaves Gundam and Kuzuryuu.

If the swimsuits are a factor, Sonia's might be the most suspicious - it's covering up the bloodstains from when she bashed Koizumi in, perhaps?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
You know what, for all the pre-panic this was pretty drat tasteful and the punchline was great. Souda is a lot less scummy than Teruteru which makes him far more likeable.

Couldn't help but let out a small "aww" at Koizumi being offed. I liked having a fairly normal character around. Time to speculate though.

What we know is that Miharu, Saionji and the killer (assuming Saionji isn't the killer) had to be there before three or our boy would have seen the killer coming. That said we'd have seen the killer leaving as well so I'm guessing we'll find a secret passage at some point or Peko is or culprit, having been swimming already.

Bring on the investigation!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Clever, putting the murder into the same update as the rest. :v: Although I found Hinata's reaction pretty humorous, combined with the fact that he gave in to temptation and played the game earlier, it's increasingly clear that they went for a more realistic and human protagonist on purpose.

Shame though, the camera gal never really got to shine. Maybe if we had seen her free time events but as it is she didn't really stand out in any way except for being slightly hostile against guys.

Guess it's time to start avoiding speculation again.

crazdgamer
Nov 11, 2012

Always know the game state...
I think the key to this murder is figuring out how the arcade game relates to the murder's circumstances. It can't be a coincidence that the game is about a group of High School girls, and then the murder is done with a group of High School girls...

... wait... it was Sonia that organized this gathering? Did she play the game?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

crazdgamer posted:

I think the key to this murder is figuring out how the arcade game relates to the murder's circumstances. It can't be a coincidence that the game is about a group of High School girls, and then the murder is done with a group of High School girls...

... wait... it was Sonia that organized this gathering? Did she play the game?

I hope to god she didn't organize the swim for the same reason Togami organized the party. That's a definite possibility, though, especially since the swimsuits would mean that she's the only one who can conceal a weapon.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Wait a second, three people have to discover the body right? We got the announcement after Souda first saw Koizumi's body, meaning two other people found it before.

:cry: Koizumi... you were the normal one...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Swimming for three hours eh? What a totally inconspicuous way to wash off blood as well as having an alibi as soon as the corpse is discovered. Not sure about motive, but Mahiru was out and about the night Hinata played the game, and she seemed out of it and gave a really dumb excuse.

I doubt Kuzuryu did it for some reason. From the dialogue it seemed he was panicking. He probably saw the corpse and tried to get away as fast as possible. And Saionji running away and crying probably means she saw it too, leaving Souda to be the third person.

A shame to die this early, she seemed pretty interesting and we didn't get to find out that much about her. Oh well.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 23, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Wait a second, three people have to discover the body right? We got the announcement after Souda first saw Koizumi's body, meaning two other people found it before.

:cry: Koizumi... you were the normal one...

Fairly certain it's only two people.

VVV: Well that proved me wrong. Can't think why I had two in my mind.

Popo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 23, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Popo posted:

Fairly certain it's only two people.

It's actually spelled out in the school rules this time. You can go back and have a look.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

orenronen posted:

Rule no. 9
After three people or more first discover a dead body, a "body discovery announcement" shall be broadcast across the island.

Yup, it's three.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Can't say I'm really sorry to see Koizumi go. Yeah, she was normal, which was great, but that whole, "You need to act more like men!" schtick was annoying as hell. Especially because every time she pulled it, it made me think of the end of the second trial of the first game and the reason why Chihiro started crossdressing. :smith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm interested in that mask. Why would she have such a thing?

If it were any of the boys, it could only be Kuzuryuu, since as Souda said, you couldn't get to the beach (and the crime scene) without passing by the diner. Gundam was explicitly away from the beach - we passed him - and Nidai must have been for Akane to fight him.

Unless the murder happened before we reached the diner, in which case all bets are off.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Okay if it's three then it seems a lot more likely that both Kuzuryuu and Saionji are innocent. Of course, still up in the air that they aren't until we get more evidence. On top of that, Nagito's (lack of) presence is also a factor we have to account for - he could have been the killer, or he could have been one of the two witnesses before Souda found Mahiru.

Someone speculated before that the motive for the murder was Mahiru taking a picture of something that the murderer absolutely didn't want revealed. If that's the case, I think it's likely that it's Kuzuryuu. No other character is as fiercely secretive and asocial as Kuzuryuu is. Secondary candidates are Gundam and Peko.

I really don't think we can rule Nidai out though. Of all the characters, you'd think the sports coach would be the most likely to use a baseball bat. On that same topic Akane is probably not very likely to use a baseball bat and would be more likely to attack someone with her own hands.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Ah, why must the normal people die so early? :smith:

It is interesting to note that she is not in swimsuit, just like Saionji, for some reason. It may be a clue to her time of death.

As for the murderer, it would be rather difficult to tell at this point, but Pekoyama is really suspicious with her being wet all over. It is not a good plan to swim for three hours straight before having a swimming party with your friends either.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
Interesting that the second chapters of both games have something to do with a legendary serial killer who may or may not be one of the students. And from the look of the mask being so casually left there, theres possibly also someone trying to pin this murder on said legendary killer. ...unless KiraKira is actually Mahiru. :tinfoil:

I'm sad it was Mahiru....but here's hoping this has a more positive effect on Saionji's character development. But she must have died quite recently; it wasnt really that much time that had passed since she was said to have been seen outside the hotel, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jeek posted:

It is interesting to note that she is not in swimsuit, just like Saionji, for some reason. It may be a clue to her time of death.

As for the murderer, it would be rather difficult to tell at this point, but Pekoyama is really suspicious with her being wet all over. It is not a good plan to swim for three hours straight before having a swimming party with your friends either.

Why would either of them be in swimsuits? They both refused Sonia's invitation.

futatsuiwa
Mar 1, 2013
My main wonder is who saw the body first. I'm betting Kuzuryuu but I'm likely to be wrong.

Owari is probably a red herring, but knowing this game it'll probably turn around to be actually important in some way. Either way, the trial is probably gonna be a real back and forth of accusations (perhaps like DR1 chapter 4).

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Something to consider though is, well, look at the blood trails in front of Koizumi. She was clearly dragged over to the door, perhaps with the intent of mimicking the scene that took place in Twilight Syndrome. This doesn't seem to help much with the case as a whole considering that anyone and everyone could have played Twilight Syndrome at one point or another...well except Nagito.

Personally I think the culprit might be Sonia. That wet-suit couldn't have just been for a gag...could it?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Why would either of them be in swimsuits? They both refused Sonia's invitation.

Which leads into the same question that Souda asked: Why did Saionji come to the beach?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So Souda just went full creepy ADTRW Goon. I really hope he doesn't last much longer, because his character just got really weird and creepy and not in an interesting way.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Torino posted:

I'm sad it was Mahiru....but here's hoping this has a more positive effect on Saionji's character development. But she must have died quite recently; it wasnt really that much time that had passed since she was said to have been seen outside the hotel, right?

I can see Saionji reacting in one of two ways:
1.) she'll BSOD / mope around similar to how Ishimaru acted after Mondo's trial, or
2.) she'll just straight-up lash out even worse at the people around her for failing to prevent her 'big sis' from dying.

Considering her reaction to the body (if the assumption that she was one of the ones to discover it is correct) it could go in either direction.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Who What Now posted:

So Souda just went full creepy ADTRW Goon. I really hope he doesn't last much longer, because his character just got really weird and creepy and not in an interesting way.

Here we go, it was only a matter of time. :allears:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Well drat, we won't get crazy Kobayashi Yuu antics after all. What a shame.

Torino posted:

Interesting that the second chapters of both games have something to do with a legendary serial killer who may or may not be one of the students.
Also, the body was found near a large body of water in both chapters.

I guess it's obvious that Saionji is innocent, but if she actually isn't, then someone must've gone to the beach between her and Souda... and stayed silent for some reason. Yeah, that doesn't sound too plausible.

Which leads to the question of the crime scene. It doesn't seem like Mahiru's body was moved to the beach house, which means that a) she had something to do there, and b) the culprit knew about it and met her there. What the hell is so important about the beach house? And why tell everyone that you don't want to take part in the party when doing so would make it much easier to get a legit reason to visit the beach house?

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

Jeek posted:

One of the characters did mention that both of those girls weren't gonna come, Mahiru probably didn't wanna go cause of the game and Saionji cause Mahiru wasn't gonna be there. If any of them had/have a swimsuit on then that's gonna be really suspicious.

Btw, I have a feeling that they're gonna go with the same "boy dressed as a girl" trop they did with chihiro concerning Saionji. I hope not tho.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Well, that was certainly a murder. :smith:

This case does confirm one thing: At least in this game, the body discovery announcement is set off when three people find the body, period. Whether they do so together or independently is irrelevant. After all, there's no way there was anyone else in there with Souda when he discovered the body.

Of course, that just leaves the question of whether the killer counts toward the discovery. Does the announcement go off when the killer(who would have to be present to commit the murder) plus two other people see the body, or is it when three people besides the killer find the body? This distinction could end up being important.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrips
Apr 27, 2013

Apollove posted:

Something to consider though is, well, look at the blood trails in front of Koizumi. She was clearly dragged over to the door, perhaps with the intent of mimicking the scene that took place in Twilight Syndrome. This doesn't seem to help much with the case as a whole considering that anyone and everyone could have played Twilight Syndrome at one point or another...well except Nagito.

I was thinking that the murder scene was staged as well. I think she was killed in another way, but by doing this the killer can draw suspicion toward anyone who played the game and use them as decoys, and we know there are quite a few of them. Either way the key of this trial is really going to be figuring out the motive and what exactly it has to do with Twilight Syndrome.

• Locked thread