Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They are going all-in on those names.

Yep, still retarded after all these years. At least they have nicknames to help take the edge off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

They are a bit too pat.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did somebody just watch Gladiator or something and decide Latin was really cool?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I guess they had to give them silly names to make up for the (relatively) sensitive outfits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I love when people's names imply their character traits. If only Noctis was Noctis Vides Mortuum.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I like Zell and Quistis's kid on the right there :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I love when people's names imply their character traits. If only Noctis was Noctis Vides Mortuum.

I think Ignis Scientia goes a bit beyond implying and into "crap, we forgot to remove the placeholder name" territory.

I will give them credit that you can instantly place which name goes with which character!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ImpAtom posted:

A childhood affliction endowed Noctis, heir apparent to the throne of Lucis, with the mystical power to see a heavenly light, through which he could sense others' deaths. Noctis acts as somewhat of a renegade, much to the dismay of those who tend to him. Yet while "Noct" may act brash at times, he does so in defense of those loyal to him.

Taking cues from better JRPGs I see

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think Ignis Scientia goes a bit beyond implying and into "crap, we forgot to remove the placeholder name" territory.

I will give them credit that you can instantly place which name goes with which character!

At least he's not Cognosco Todam.

Besides, not everyone got years of latin schooling and those of us that did must revel it what little use of it there is outside of semper ubi sub ubi and translating Biggie Smalls tracks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In a few months years you'll all be here posting about how cool and unique and badass they are MARK MY WORDS. :byodood:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

In a few months years you'll all be here posting about how cool and unique and badass they are MARK MY WORDS. :byodood:

No but I guarantee every highschooler or younger in the US who plays this game is going to think they are super awesome and deep.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Loving Life Partner posted:

FF has a long standing tradition of clownshoe outfits, look at the (terrible, god awful) FF6 character design art.

What? Amano's FFVI designs are some of his best designs ever. :/

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bit disappointed that the fourth guy's name isn't Travius Touchdownis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I actually like those character designs. It's a bit disorienting; normally, it's the costumes that are stupid while the names are just exotic, but this time the costumes are exotic and the names are stupid. Those characters look outlandish and full of personality, but they fall short of ridiculous, so it's pretty much what a gang of angry rich boys out to save the world would want to look like.

Certainly not as unsettling as that one cross-promotion campaign that had plastic-looking renders of FFXIII characters wearing an actual line of designer clothes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

Say what you will about Vaan's weird Aladdin getup or Ashe's skirt thing but Gabranth and all the other judge's armor were cool as gently caress.

This is truth.

Some of the coolest villain designs in the series.

Although I guess they aren't all villains...

All you ever hear is negative talk about FF designs though. Which game do people think had the best character costumes?

One of the few things I give FFVIII credit for is some of its character designs. I always liked Seifer's for example. And Laguna has some awesome 80s hair.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 24, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Here's the full image of the main characters from XV. Their outfits were redesigned by the fashion design studio, Roen. Apparently, red shoes are something they're known for.

This is how they used to look, in one of the early trailers. This is when the costumes were still designed by Nomura.

In the latest gameplay trailer, they also showed off two scenes that were remade from the very first appearance of the game. One where Noctis casually walks down steps while machine guns and rocket launchers are fired at him, and another where he's falling down the side of a building and killing soldiers on his way.

Also, there's been rumblings about this coming out for PC. They're using the same method Capcom did for the past generation, where games are designed on high-end PC hardware, then scaled to the two consoles. I just hope the Xbox One isn't too far behind the PS4 that they have to tone anything down.

Bonus kid Noctis :3:

E:VVV Pretentious latin is better than 'Lightning', 'Snow', and 'Hope'. Lightning's actual name reveal was so forgettable, that it was like Kill Bill 2, but not a joke. Snow is his actual name, and Hope's name is brought up as an allegory.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 24, 2013

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Heck yeah, they are taking no prisoners with those names.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I never noticed the floral pattern on Noct's shirt. All this time I thought he was wearing a plain black shirt.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 24, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Why are the playable characters all dudes? :v:

Usually FF is better about that.

That loving Sned posted:

This is how they used to look, in one of the early trailers. This is when the costumes were still designed by Nomura.

Those are things normal people wear, except for Noct's weird coat.

I'm loving that redneck look for the guy on the left.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mazed posted:

Why are the playable characters all dudes? :v:

Usually FF is better about that.

I'm curious about where the 3 women in the party are too. I'd assume they just haven't been revealed yet for one reason or another, but I'm not sure if that's really the case. The 5 we have now seem like they would work just fine as is, so it stands out as being incredibly odd.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaseous Snake posted:

Say what you will about Vaan's weird Aladdin getup or Ashe's skirt thing but Gabranth and all the other judge's armor were cool as gently caress.

Also Balthier's outfit is pretty great. Basch's patchwork Knight-Hobo attire has grown on me as well.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Good god those names.

If anyone needs a quick (grammatically incorrect) refresher;
Noctis Lucis Caelum - Night Light Sky
Gladiolus Amicitia - Sword Friendship
Ignis Scientia - Fire Knowledge
Prompto Argentum - Quick Silver (well, not quite, but whatever)
Cor Leonis - (That ol' FF name staple) Lionheart.
Stella Nox Fleuret - Night Star Fencing-Foil
King Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII - King Ruler Light Sky 113th

The outfits are looking pretty snazzy though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 24, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The new outfits look cool but they look like they're going to a club and not fighting monsters/corrupt institutions/gods. Also the old ones at least had some more color, the new ones are all black.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stella Nox Fleuret is probably Star Night Blossom rather than fencing foil.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barudak posted:

Stella Nox Fleuret is probably Star Night Blossom rather than fencing foil.

:doh: Should've remembered that...

Yeah, that's probably more accurate. Kind of horsey names aren't they? Sounds like we should be betting on them at a derby or something :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really just can't imagine calling him anything but Sword Friendship.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If those five dudes are the full set of PCs that is disappointing, especially after FFXIII. Do we have reason to think they aren't?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Man, they really are anime The Shield (as in the WWE team). I do hope there are a some female party members, though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

1st AD posted:

The new outfits look cool but they look like they're going to a club and not fighting monsters/corrupt institutions/gods. Also the old ones at least had some more color, the new ones are all black.

I hope this means 15 takes a page from The Last Story and allows color customization for clothing :unsmigghh:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope we can rename them. Carpe Diem Sephiroth de Lux.

edit: Also since I'm an idiot why does Lightning still go by Lightning? Didn't she reveal her name in 13-1? Even Serah calls her lightning which is just awkward.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We know Noctis has a love interest, so maybe she's playable? I'd be pretty surprised if she wasn't.

Level Slide posted:

I hope this means 15 takes a page from The Last Story and allows color customization for clothing :unsmigghh:

Only if we can make them all skin colored and have a team of naked people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

I hope we can rename them. Carpe Diem Sephiroth de Lux.

edit: Also since I'm an idiot why does Lightning still go by Lightning? Didn't she reveal her name in 13-1? Even Serah calls her lightning which is just awkward.

Well, she became a goddess-Valkyrie between XIII and XIII-2 so presumably it'd be a little awkward to start calling her Eclair.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Body language, they be marchin, to do important poo poo, somewhere. MEN.

When the crown prince needs a poo poo, I hope he marches back to his rooms in the knowledge his bodyguards will do the same, all of them the picture of determination and seriousness. Only for them to realise as he slams the door shut that they will have to stand around waiting after all that build up.

I shouldn't be allowed bodyguards and aides.

Every time I see that group shot of them now, I am going to hear Noctis' belly grumblin'.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Overbite posted:

She wasn't trying to hide her identity or anything, there's no reason to drop it once the secret's out. She just wanted to changed her name and everyone's cool with it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Tempo 119 posted:

She wasn't trying to hide her identity or anything, there's no reason to drop it once the secret's out. She just wanted to changed her name and everyone's cool with it.

If I demanded my family and friends called me Lighting I don't think they'd be cool with it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Peel posted:

If those five dudes are the full set of PCs that is disappointing, especially after FFXIII. Do we have reason to think they aren't?

Not all characters have been revealed, and Stella is a potential party member as well (though likely not permanent). The reduced party size is great for 1. making each character unique and 2. cutting costs for VAs.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

If I demanded my family and friends called me Lighting I don't think they'd be cool with it.

She apparently has no family (except Serah) and friends is kinda questionable. Maybe the guardian corps all go by silly nicknames.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

I donno, I got a friend who got basically everyone he knows to call him T-Bone. Never thought I'd hear a guy's mother call him T-Bone but there you go.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well, she became a goddess-Valkyrie between XIII and XIII-2 so presumably it'd be a little awkward to start calling her Eclair.

I thought it was just Claire in the English version because Eclair sounds dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dauntasa posted:

I thought it was just Claire in the English version because Eclair sounds dumb.

I was gonna say, I think if my name was "Eclair" people would learn to deal with whatever nickname I picked.

And my weirdest personal anecdote on that score is that we have a friend everybody refers to by his last name, but even his dad calls him that now. I cannot imagine being that dad.