Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
Hey, I just bolted that poo poo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
E: drat you!!!

And since I love doubleposting, here's a picture dump:

(clicky for big)

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 24, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
How old is the starter?

If it started before, it probably might be a dead starter.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hit it with a hammer

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

:lol:

My first thought was that this was photoshopped. The expression is gold.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure every engine swap project is required to include a pic like that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I saw that and imagined a Ralph Wiggum voice going "I'M VEETEC!"

Like this, only vtec instead of Idaho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrbC0meYiuY

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dreesemonkey posted:

Hit it with a hammer

Serious post, do this (to the starter)

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Take a voltmeter to the starter (the thick rear end red cable going into it, and a ground) and you're getting a minimum of 12V, chances are you have a lovely ground or connection somewhere. The clacking noise you hear is the drive gear not having enough power to fully extend and just uselessly spins against the flywheel.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

The flipped oil dipstick is done because you get excess pressure from blow by or something, so it causes the dipstick to pop out during spirited driving. So in order to keep the dipstick from popping out, you flip it like in the picture. It works perfectly fine like that and keeps it from popping out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

^^^ I had no idea.

So 16 hours of straight work on it this weekend have left me not wanting to see the thing for a bit. I'll go diagnose poo poo tomorrow or Thursday probably. Thanks for the ideas guys.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

whiskas posted:

Take a voltmeter to the starter (the thick rear end red cable going into it, and a ground) and you're getting a minimum of 12V, chances are you have a lovely ground or connection somewhere. The clacking noise you hear is the drive gear not having enough power to fully extend and just uselessly spins against the flywheel.

Nope

quote:

I hooked it up to a battery box and let it charge for a while, and now the starter will engage with a *thunk* and not turn over any more. Maybe a half-assed spin.

Sounds like the solenoid extends perfectly, then the starter doesn't spin the engine adequately, if at all. Putting a voltmeter across the battery while trying to spin it up will bee interesting. Either it maintains 12v indicating the starter is toast, or it drops below 12v, indicating the battery is toast.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So I was finally assed to look at it without vomiting from revulsion yesterday. Dumbass me forgot the key with the working fob, so I could start it but I couldn't disconnect the battery then reconnect.

New shiny voltmeter read:

12.1V at KOEO

8.3V when attempting starting

13.3V when jumped

8.5V when jumped and attempting starting

12.1V is low, but I'm not sure if it's low enough to be pointing to the battery. Especially since when jumped the voltage is fine and I have the exact same problem.

At this point it's looking like a bad connection to me. That's a whole bunch of resistance and well below the 9.5V-11.5V dip when starting. I suppose the battery could also be bad enough that even a jump isn't giving the required amperage to the starter.

Headed there today after work with the working key fob so I can disconnect the battery and root through the starter connections under the intake manifold.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

At least try a known good battery first, if you have a spare you can chuck at it. Otherwise yeah it points to an electrical problem or just an abnormally high load. Does the motor crank over easily with a wrench?

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
If the battery voltage is dropping that low under crank, it's likely got an open cell or was run out of water and sulfated.
If it's not sealed open the caps and take a peek.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

8V when cranking is a hosed battery. Do you have another one you can try?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

WELL THERE'S YER PROBLEM

Clutch fork wasn't in it's fulcrum (It's a pull-type). When I'd turn it by hand it'd just sit there and spin fine, but when I PUT THE CLUTCH IN to start it the fucker would pin the pressure plate steady. Ugh. It probably dipped to 8V because it met a shitload of resistance going against a frozen engine.

It runs now. Starts great, sounds great.

In other news I'm a loving moron.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adiabatic posted:

This is me, forever.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

:downs:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Wow. Guess that clutch isn't sticking anymore huh?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
What is this thread even I don't even know.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Backed it into a tow truck at, like, 2mph. Box steel doesn't give I guess. I think I need to sell this car before I completely destroy it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Edit: apparently my phone refused to load this page, disregard this reply

Sell it is right, this one's cursed :tinfoil: replace with a non-cursed s2000

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 5, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Right? I've had this thing since 14,700 miles and not one thing broke until 90,000. I even still had the stock clutch and it was only just starting to slip in 6th. Then all hell breaks loose at 90k.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Oh that oil leak I mentioned a couple of weeks back, down to some 'O' rings on the VTEC or something. Shall replace then ASAP for piece of mind.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Any news? Did you quit or personal poo poo get in the way?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh whoops I wasn't clear: everything runs great and I've been commuting with it since. I actually just checked the torque on some of the more critical bolts yesterday and nothing is suspect at all.

Found a guy who does good work that'll fix that poo poo for $450 + bumper. Now I just need money.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Nice! I gotta find some space and get crackin' on my cars pretty soon :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You know what gently caress updating this thread this is bullshit

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:allears:

Do tell.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

You know what gently caress updating this thread this is bullshit

Noo :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Clutch went outta nowhere.

Edit: probably something to do with trying to start it while the clutch arm was grinding against the pressure plate. Maybe it's the clutch arm even. :iiam:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You should probably just sell this car before you end up replacing everything on it. Again.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
$500 cash in hand

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Awaiting for the third engine swap after you break something once you fixed the clutch, reminds me of my RX7 adventures, spent enough money to buy 2 cars and ended up with one not running. That's when I realized I should stop doing half assed mechanical work.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So it doesn't go into gear at all when the engine's running, and when I depress the clutch pedal I get a light crinkly sensation. Slave cylinder looked fine and was on tight when I checked it day before yesterday.

It's probably that god damned clutch release lever. I'll know more tonight.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sh4 posted:

Awaiting for the third engine swap after you break something once you fixed the clutch, reminds me of my RX7 adventures, spent enough money to buy 2 cars and ended up with one not running. That's when I realized I should stop doing half assed mechanical work.

I'll keep doing it and learn my lesson at some point. Until then enjoy the ride.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

At least turbo it so you can have extra fun before it grenades or breaks more parts!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

TheFonz posted:

What is this thread even I don't even know.

After a brief moment of not being applicable, this is again applicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NOPE PRESSURE PLATE GRENADED COOL

• Locked thread