Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Radiation posted:

Yo, I'm the guy who made this!! I'd really appreciate it if you guys check out the demo and see if you want to donate to it. It's a little rough around the edges but it has a lot of flavor.

If anyone has any questions regarding it I'd be glad to try and answer them.

Well, will this game be self-contained or are you planning to have a sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Harlock posted:

I wonder how much he had to pay on the license

The Oz books are in the public domain.

So is Alice in Wonderland, for that matter.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog they need moh' monies to make a cool game, please help them! only 30 hours left!

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Colon Semicolon posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog they need moh' monies to make a cool game, please help them! only 30 hours left!

Kicktraq is projecting $854,545 to $949,469 at the time of posting. The huge variance really is because of the surge of backers in the last 24 hours. If it stays that way now that people see it actually has a chance of being funded; it should be fine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

They added a 950k stretch goal to have a WiiU version, and got all the licensing and such taken care of with Nintendo already. Hopefully that incentive is enough.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Radiation posted:

Yo, I'm the guy who made this!! I'd really appreciate it if you guys check out the demo and see if you want to donate to it. It's a little rough around the edges but it has a lot of flavor.

If anyone has any questions regarding it I'd be glad to try and answer them.
I'd definitely recommend checking out Radiation's kickstarter and playing the demo; the first NPC encounter really sets the tone and its writing is not only entertaining but also calls into question a lot of common RPG player instincts. Radiation does wonderful audio work and the soundtrack for just the demo is already pretty rocking (ghostbattle.ogg being the jam of choice) with a great mix of chiptune and arranged compositions.

If you're interested in suggestions Radiation, integrating more enemies into the overworld would probably be my biggest one. Not just because it works really well as a gameplay mechanic as seen in EB and M3, but since you're already giving a lot of choice to the player with how they interact to enemies in battles being able to physically avoid a bunch of rowdy monsters feels like a good extension of that design philosophy. Also, seeing stuff like depressed ghosts laying around or other monsters doing monstery things before you fight helps personify them and adds depth to the world.

Out of curiosity do you have an idea of length and general layout of the game, like will there be hub / branching sections or will it follow a more linear path? I wanna see a Monster City with social monsters and real jerks hanging out on the wrong side of the monster tracks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deus Ex Machina 2 has a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm1l2l_xNmA

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
There has been nothing about Deus Ex Machina 2 that makes me even the slightest bit interested. It seems like they'd have been better served to kickstart in the 'music' section and just release an album.

blarg.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Armikrog may not make it. Yay. :unsmith: (91k needed with 30 hours to go.)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kyrosiris posted:

Armikrog may not make it. Yay. :unsmith: (91k needed with 30 hours to go.)

Sadly, I'm pretty confident the last hours boost will push it over the edge.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did I miss something nasty about Armikrog?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Did I miss something nasty about Armikrog?

It is mostly related to the creator of the game more than anything outright bad about the game itself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The guy who is tauted as a big draw and part of the project ("Armikrog! From Doug TenNapel!") is a really, really lousy person.

Some people don't mind. I'd like to see projects involving people who continuously and publicly spout hatred to fail.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, not wanting to support Armikrog is reasonable, but actually wanting it to fail leading to quite a few people being out of a job because of the opinions of one guy involved in the project? That seems short-sighted if not outright spiteful.

Not to mention the press already had a field day with it, so it's not like TenNapel isn't aware Armikrog could have done much better were he not a bigot.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, not wanting to support Armikrog is reasonable, but actually wanting it to fail leading to quite a few people being out of a job because of the opinions of one guy involved in the project? That seems short-sighted if not outright spiteful.

Not to mention the press already had a field day with it, so it's not like TenNapel isn't aware Armikrog could have done much better were he not a bigot.

But isn't his name also the reason for many backers actually being there?
(I seriously have no idea.)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

You're making a project. You're throwing out a large placard saying, "WE GOT DOUG TENNAPEL! PLEASE GIVE US MONEY!". Doug goes to any website he can mentioning his bigotry and connection to the project and continues to be a completely awful human being.

So yeah, I say gently caress that guy and gently caress any project willing to use him as a draw to get money.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

That those people choose to associate themselves with a monster is too loving bad. Should I lend that same confidence to something like Shadow of the Eternals? Well, I know Denis Dyack is a hack, but there are other people working on the project, so it's okay :downs:

No, gently caress Doug TenNapel and gently caress Armikrog.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 26, 2013

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The guy who is tauted as a big draw and part of the project ("Armikrog! From Doug TenNapel!") is a really, really lousy person.

Except the part where he's not. He has strong religious and political beliefs against homosexuals, and while that's certainly a negative aspect to his character from a lot of perspectives including my own, to judge the entire sum of his character from those beliefs, and to then judge his completely unrelated works on those beliefs as well, is just as lovely as those who judge homosexual people solely on their sexuality.

He has significantly contributed to several very good games, and is doing so again. The quality of one aspect of his person has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the product he produces.

Hell, you could probably look into most things you consume on a regular basis, whether it be other entertainment, or food products (like that Chic-fil-a fiasco), or medical care, or whatever else, and find people with similarly distasteful opinions on certain things, from your point of view, contributing to the creation of those products. None of that is relevant, because what you're paying for is the product that you are consuming. The argument "but I don't want my money to go towards a cause I don't agree with" is ridiculous because a large portion of the money people spend already does that through other means, they just don't know about it.

EDIT: "He dislikes gay people, so he is a completely terrible human being" is ridiculously loving hypocritical. I expect that from tumblr, not here.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Shortest Path posted:

Except the part where he's not. He has strong religious and political beliefs against homosexuals, and while that's certainly a negative aspect to his character from a lot of perspectives including my own, to judge the entire sum of his character from those beliefs, and to then judge his completely unrelated works on those beliefs as well, is just as lovely as those who judge homosexual people solely on their sexuality.

He has significantly contributed to several very good games, and is doing so again. The quality of one aspect of his person has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the product he produces.

Hell, you could probably look into most things you consume on a regular basis, whether it be other entertainment, or food products (like that Chic-fil-a fiasco), or medical care, or whatever else, and find people with similarly distasteful opinions on certain things, from your point of view, contributing to the creation of those products. None of that is relevant, because what you're paying for is the product that you are consuming. The argument "but I don't want my money to go towards a cause I don't agree with" is ridiculous because a large portion of the money people spend already does that through other means, they just don't know about it.

Yeah, no. I was there reading the depraved poo poo he had to say about gays, transgendered and liberals before he deleted the entire thing. The widely circulated GayGamer article wasn't even the tip of the iceberg.

He's a terrible person who considers some people less than human beings.

And yes, when I find out that there are vocal and hateful people behind a product, I stop using those products if at all possible and would suggest others do the same.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Should I lend that same confidence to something like Shadow of the Eternals? Well, I know Denis Dyack is a hack, but there are other people working on the project, so it's okay :downs:

I'd argue that you are comparing apples with oranges. I'd say supporting Armikrog is like buying a game from Stardock or Phil Fish -- at least those people are going to deliver the product and not scam their customers. I'd personally not put my money on any of it, but I don't have to warn others against it either since people are free to do whatever.

I'd, however, warn against supporting Dyack because he is a known scammer with the track record to show for it. I also previously warned people to avoid putting money into a Hat in Time because the guy in charge has also a track record for not delivering on his promises and drama bombing all over the place that all that money is likely not going to get people what they wanted.

That is an important distinction in my opinion. Not wanting to support some douche is fine, not wanting others to support a douche even though he is going to deliver those people what they want does not seem correct; you are not warning others for their sake, you are warning them for your own.

Blergh. I don't even want to be in any way associated with TenNapel, including debating him, and I regret stepping in in the middle of a circlejerk. I just think there's a world of difference between making an informed decision on your own and actually hoping a bunch of people are out of a job because they associated with a guy who actually delivers products. Those people working under him in all likelihood don't share the views of the guy -- they just want to make a cool game to add to their portfolio.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 26, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DEM2 has a playable demo. It's very much 1980s gameplay with Indie game graphics.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

I'd argue that you are comparing apples with oranges. I'd say supporting Armikrog is like buying a game from Stardock or Phil Fish -- at least those people are going to deliver the product and not scam their customers. I'd personally not put my money on any of it, but I don't have to warn others against it either since people are free to do whatever.

I'd, however, warn against supporting Dyack because he is a known scammer with the track record to show for it. I also previously warned people to avoid putting money into a Hat in Time because the guy in charge has also a track record for not delivering on his promises and drama bombing all over the place that all that money is likely not going to get people what they wanted.

That is an important distinction in my opinion. Not wanting to support some douche is fine, not wanting others to support a douche even though he is going to deliver those people what they want does not seem correct; you are not warning others for their sake, you are warning them for your own.

Blergh. I don't even want to be in any way associated with TenNapel, including debating him, and I regret stepping in in the middle of a circlejerk. I just think there's a world of difference between making an informed decision on your own and actually hoping a bunch of people are out of a job because they associated with a guy who actually delivers products. Those people working under him in all likelihood don't share the views of the guy -- they just want to make a cool game to add to their portfolio.

Maybe they could've made a cool game without involving a terrible human being as a figurehead to draw more money from people?

The project failing shows that no, it is not okay to have a vocally hateful person as a major draw for your project. The point is to show that that kind of behavior and hatemongering is not okay or normative behavior that people can just gloss over because man, I really want to play those 1's and 0's.

There are a ton of creative people out there who aren't reprehensible. I'm sure they could have used on of those for the project.

If Mel Gibson started a Kickstarter to fund his new movie, I have no problem with people saying, "Hey, this is the guy that said he hoped a pack of n-words raped his wife. I think people shouldn't support this guy!" no matter how much the film crew just wanted to make a fun movie.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I posted about this one on the 3DS thread: AeternoBlade, a sidescroller with a time rewind mechanic. It doesn't look too awful, but this being the first project from a Thailand-based studio there are warning signs they are trying to chew more than they can.

The Indiegogo campaign is to help finish the 3DS version, localize it for the rest of the world, and start working on ports for other systems. That's when things start to get messy; they claim the 3DS project is 90% ready to go but if you check the gameplay videos it looks rough and not in the "we just need to polish it up a bit for release". And then the first stretch goal is a bikini costume for the main character :sigh:

You be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MV462FAjc

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

Except for the part where he is a vocal, prolific troll with a habit of wandering the Internet like a virtual Westboro. He isn't just a bigoted pile of poo poo, he is actively hostile and looking for conflict.

But hey. If people like his monkey cheese, that's A-OK.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Please take the money that you'd take backing Armikrog and back Nelly Cootalot.

Both adventure games, but Nelly deserves support far more than Armikrog.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, if you can watch that Nelly Cootalot video without thinking, "This is the sort of guy I want to help make videogames," then you are just WEIRD.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just tried the Nelly demo and it's pretty cute and the team seems to know how to make a decent adventure game.
But the font they're using is hideous and pretty hard to read. I might back it, though.

EDIT: I downloaded the original free-ware game (download it here)
and I honestly prefer its simpler artstyle.

EDIT2: Pledged. Gotta aim for the second stretch goal!

EDIT3: While I was at it, I tried Crazy Hotel.
The art style is nice and the puzzles seem pretty logical, but they need to find someone who can rewrite the dialogue.
It's pretty awkward but in a way that should shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 26, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Renoistic posted:

But the font they're using is hideous and pretty hard to read.

I wouldn't say hideous, but it is hard to read on the speech balloons. Since you backed it, you can leave a comment mentioning they should consider improving or outright using another font for dialogue. If more people do mention it's an issue, I'm sure the guy will take that into account.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ice-pick Lodge had some PR guy do an update for them about the delays on Knock-knock. Most of it is, as mentioned, PR, but this quote from the head of the studio is pretty revealing.

Ice-pick posted:

“Actually there’s not much of cops-and-robbers, it’s just a strange flood of coincidences: minor accidents, depression, disease and other tangential circumstances which pull the people out of our ranks. We were seven when the project started, now we are only three, or a bit less. The rest are out of working condition, they need to withdraw and recover. Ayrat and Natasha, our programmers, are working “on a wing and a prayer”; as for me – I’ll do my best to solve the countless problems which sprung from these losses.”

Basically they made the best game they could with the time and money they had. It wasn't good enough, they're out of time and money, and their studio is in shambles. Hope they're still able to deliver but I also hope Aryat and Natasha don't starve to death.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
What is the general feeling in here on the omni-directional treadmill fad? Do you think it will be a perfect complement to the Oculus Rift or they're all just riding the VR bandwagon?

There are two up on Kickstarter at the moment. The Omni is exceedingly more popular with 2000 backers in the first week. The second is the WizDish which barely got 30 in the same time frame (which is sad considering it apparently is 10 years in the making and they went to the effort of getting a patent).

The Stereoscopic 3D Gaming thread also linked to some new device which may not even be coming to retail called the Virtualizer.

I backed the Omni, but in all honesty I have no idea if I'm that keen on the idea of running while gaming, or if I'm just throwing money at VR gadgets because I can't wait for my Oculist Rift to arrive.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Some people don't mind. I'd like to see projects involving people who continuously and publicly spout hatred to fail.

I don't know if it's fair to target Doug Tennapel's jerky personal views. I mean if you expect it to be a part of the product he makes, sure. But if not, why do we have to be all zero tolerance about a human being? Everyone's got flaws.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope Armikrog succeeds because it looks like a game I would like to play made by people who I believe can make it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Spiky Ooze posted:

I don't know if it's fair to target Doug Tennapel's jerky personal views. I mean if you expect it to be a part of the product he makes, sure. But if not, why do we have to be all zero tolerance about a human being? Everyone's got flaws.
Obviously you're free to do whatever you like with your money but this isn't some guy that once said a few off color things.

He makes Aids jokes is openly against equal rights uses the old 'you're the one who's intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance' argument. He's a real shitbag of a human being.

quote:

21st: "Lastly, i'm at least thankful you're not equating gays to pedophiles or zoophiles. That's more respectful than some."

DTN: Give me some time all I'll see what I can do. You realize this conversation is going to be used by your people to justify a permanent boycott of my work. They would probably use this argument to justify me not being able to visit anyone in any hospital while they're at it. THis argument isn't about laws and marriage, it's about cultural witch hunts. THere are a lot worse things than not being able to marry your same sex.

21st: "Right now, some states are, in fact, fighting to remove rights from people. Is that right?"

DTN: America has thousands of people's rights taken away every day. Take a number.
He responds to 'at least you're not a total rear end in a top hat' with 'well you just haven't given me time enough yet' and the lovely ending shot of 'oh boohoo you're going to lose rights. So are other people' which doesn't even make sense.

Anyway as I said people are free to do whatever they want with their money and I'm not trying to make any kind of moral argument here just know this guy is scum and people that want to see him fail have good reason to.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

KuroKisei posted:

What is the general feeling in here on the omni-directional treadmill fad? Do you think it will be a perfect complement to the Oculus Rift or they're all just riding the VR bandwagon?

I think it's a fad, with all the breathlessly silly earnestness and eventual disappointed embarrassment that term entails.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm more curious whether there will be a lot of people who can even use the Rift without something like the Omni at all, due to susceptibility to motion sickness. As a person who easily gets motion sickness in some games, I'm thinking that I'd be one of the people who can't use the Rift without a way to tell my vestibular system that I am actually in motion. Which is a shame because while it may be healthy, I'm not thrilled about the prospect of making every game session a workout either.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 26, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

I think it's a fad, with all the breathlessly silly earnestness and eventual disappointed embarrassment that term entails.

It is an awesome idea in theory. I know I would love using it for the first few times. And then my own mind would start equating it with exercising, work, effort, the sort of thing one generally tries to avoid while relaxing with a videogame, and then I would unconsciously make excuses not to use those VR things. I remember people being tired from just playing Zelda Skyward Sword, one of the very few Wii games that got motion controls right.

The thing with entertainment tools is that they have to be practical all the time, not only occasionally, which is why, in all likelihood, VR will die like a fad, which is a shame, because I'm pretty sure most of us thought it would be the future of gaming like 20 years ago or so, a holodeck experience. I know I did.

fronz posted:

Basically they made the best game they could with the time and money they had. It wasn't good enough, they're out of time and money, and their studio is in shambles.

This is tragic, but not entirely surprising. I hope they will find a way to get back to the fight. Somehow.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I don't have a lot of options for not giving money to poo poo heads in order to live just day to day life in America so if I can take easy ones like not giving money to Brad Wardell or Doug TenNapel I'll do it any day of the week.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spiky Ooze posted:

'We' don't, but some of us choose to vote with the only thing we have left, a wallet.

Not supplying money to dangerous bigots is a personal choice.

I've backed Void Destroyer - looks interesting enough, but the budget is hella low, so my expectations are on a similar level. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1718477862/void-destroyer

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 26, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

The thing with entertainment tools is that they have to be practical all the time, not only occasionally, which is why, in all likelihood, VR will die like a fad, which is a shame, because I'm pretty sure most of us thought it would be the future of gaming like 20 years ago or so, a holodeck experience. I know I did.

That's precisely it. There's a lot to be said for novelty and innovation, but in the end there's a lot more to be said for not having to rearrange your living room, computer nook, or wherever when you want to do a little running and gunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's a bummer about Ice-Pick Lodge. Good to see they're still taking it in stride, though:

quote:

I do not know how much of the whole misterious letter story is true, could be completely true or fake, it's the same for me. Yo no creo en las brujas, pero que las hay, las hay. Things are rough at Ice-Pick Lodge. The Lodgers have gotten their nightmare alright, and must survive till this game sees the light of day, otherwise all their effort and commitment will have been in vain. They will do this for themselves. I for one believe in the team and their ability to pull it through, and will stand by to help them in anyway I can. I've backed the project, that is behind, they are not asking for money. The game is finished. They need time.