Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Amethyst posted:

there is a lot about baron munchausen to love but it has serious flaws which you need to willfully ignore

its basically a movie created to cause nightmares in children

im ok with that

it has a naked uma thurman back when she was foxy as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

pseudorandom name posted:

didn't he write an essay or something on how Stalin wasn't all that bad?

i think you're thinking of somebody else because i've never seen this and can't find it with google. he's been quite critical of stalinism in articles and interviews before

and i enjoyed "perdido street staton", although it was exceedingly rough around the edges. he's improved significantly since then

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

part of me wonders if luc besson (the guy that did Fifth Element) would be able to tackle Dune really well.

though besson has a great eye for design he does much better with action (fifth element, the professional) than with political intrigue (the messenger). i'd like to see soderbergh do dune but hes only interested in doing relatively small films these days.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

more than what i managed, yuck

currently on book 2 of the Void series and uuuuugggghhhhhhh jesus christ pete, what does your wife think of your books?

so far i think the commonwealth books were better, Void series could use some serious loving editing, way too much unnecessary backstory, but boy oh boy do i love me some SPACESHIPS AND LASERGUNS AND ALIENS WOOOOO

srsly

I kinda wish I hadn't started the Void series; I liked the Commonwealth books quite a bit and also enjoyed Fallen Dragon in spite of it being self-insert adolescent wish fulfillment, but given how long the void trilogy was with how much of that waterwalker crap you have to slog through the end was very underwhelming and totes not worth it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FEMA summer camp posted:

srsly

I kinda wish I hadn't started the Void series; I liked the Commonwealth books quite a bit and also enjoyed Fallen Dragon in spite of it being self-insert adolescent wish fulfillment, but given how long the void trilogy was with how much of that waterwalker crap you have to slog through the end was very underwhelming and totes not worth it

all of those "inigo's dream" chapters are damned near their own little fantasy novel. im getting kinda bored reading about edeard's adventures as a police officer, it's way, way too much story and not enough actual plot development

the other problem im having is i think hamilton kept too many characters from the Commonwealth books, to the point that its getting a touch silly. oh lah-dee-dah a thousand years have gone by and how about that, all our favorite pals from the last books are still kicking around!!

but im such a sucker for all the crazy whiz-bang technology and spaceships and such :spergin:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Three new potentially habitable planets have been found around a star 22 light years away: http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1328/

Okay so if the galaxy is absolutely littered with planets that are possibly capable of sustaining life, there's got to be something else out there right.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah p much

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Three new potentially habitable planets have been found around a star 22 light years away: http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1328/

Okay so if the galaxy is absolutely littered with planets that are possibly capable of sustaining life, there's got to be something else out there right.

yeh

but theyre not stupid enough to contact us

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
22 light years means we could potentially communicate with them too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

there's got to be something else out there right.
sorry

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

the other problem im having is i think hamilton kept too many characters from the Commonwealth books, to the point that its getting a touch silly. oh lah-dee-dah a thousand years have gone by and how about that, all our favorite pals from the last books are still kicking around!!

oh yeah that bugged me too, esp. the bit about how one of the main antagonists is the cat and everyone acts like she's a bipedal bag of distilled pure evil, breaking the scale at over 100 gigahitlers, and everyone knew it all along!

...except in the commonwealth books she's just an obnoxious criminal cruella deville in a mech-infantry robot suit who doesn't do anything more evil than some terrible puns and talking like an idiot in general

also if you're continuing in the hope that there'll be some kickass whiz-bang space battles, I could be wrong about this since it has been a few years since I went through the trilogy, but I think you're going to be disappointed. Not that there aren't any, but I remember them being somewhat quick and underwhelming.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

aliens will either be too alien for us to experience any empathy towards or similar enough that they're just as lovely as us

extraterrestrial life wont solve your ennui, sorry

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Breakfast All Day posted:

extraterrestrial life wont solve your ennui, sorry

a double row of big ol' green alien titties

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
does hamilton jizz out furiously over nanotech in his other books too?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

I furiously jizz out nanotech

(i mean look at the flagellum of a sperm cell; if that isn't nanotechnology then i don't know what is)

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

does hamilton jizz out furiously over nanotech in his other books too?

not that I can remember, you're talking about fallen dragon right?

greg bear gushes for nanotech in ...I think it was slant, but he puts a lot of thought into it though so it's kinda interesting

for instance some building is made with a gold outer covering since because gold is pretty inert chemically-speaking nanobros have a hard time breaking it down

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I furiously jizz out nanotech

(i mean look at the flagellum of a sperm cell; if that isn't nanotechnology then i don't know what is)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nothing is improbable given sufficient time and space

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

nothing is improbable given sufficient time and space

except for your mom giving up her crack habit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FEMA summer camp posted:

not that I can remember, you're talking about fallen dragon right?

yeah

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

except for your mom giving up her crack habit

hard to find sufficient space for his mom in the first place, anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hard to find sufficient space for his mom in the first place, anyway

buffert overflow vulnerability

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Hashtag Nascar posted:

I'd like to watch flash Gordon's trip to gor tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKvjVsYILw

lol titties in the preview

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

i remember watching this on tv like 15 years ago :allears:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i remember watching this on tv like 15 years ago :allears:

haha word I taped it off TV onto VHS to watch with my friends when we got high

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

yeah slime molds and protoferns

either we're the first and most advanced or we're the only ones

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

angry_keebler posted:

yeah slime molds and protoferns

either we're the first and most advanced or we're the only ones

that's not necessarily true, if there was some super smart aliens hangin out on the tail end of the carina-sagittarius we'd never know about it. they could be 100,000 years ahead of us and it wouldn't matter unless they beamed a signal right at us with insane intensity due to the inverse square law.

not saying they are out there but chances are high that alien life, and possibly some intelligent life, exists.

of course we'll never meet or communicate with them :(

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

that's not necessarily true, if there was some super smart aliens hangin out on the tail end of the carina-sagittarius we'd never know about it. they could be 100,000 years ahead of us

if intelligent life forms when planetary conditions are right then even with very conservative estimates there should be a few hundred evenly distributed earths with civilizations with a 1-10 million year advantage on us and that's just too long

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

I'd wager that if intelligent life forms elsewhere it usually happens like with most intelligent life on Earth (crows, cephalopods, apes, dolphins, etc.). They become smart enough to figure out poo poo in their environment because it gives them a fitness advantage, but they don't get some rare confluence of factors that allow them to become ridiculously smart. Like, once you hit the intelligence level of a monkey, say, you don't really get any advantage from increased intelligence until you increase it by a whole lot more, which is evolutionarily improbable and requires some process that gives a continuous advantage to individuals that are more intelligent to the extent that it outweighs the relative disadvantage of having to grow and support huge cumbersome brains.

An octopus might be smart, but a group of them is never going to be able to build a spaceship.

(I know it's dangerous to speculate about evolution but it is interesting to note that intelligence has evolved independently several times on Earth; just not the sort of crazy all-encompassing intelligence that allows for things like radio transmitters or space programs or computers)

But really, yeah, it's way likelier that we're just going to find single-celled life when we look, considering that was all that existed for the majority of time that life on Earth has existed.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
my theory is that if we ever get a recognisable intelligent radio signal it'll be massive anticlimax and disappear from the headlines within a week

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
even if we find alien life that we recognize as intelligent there's a big list of conditions that imo have to be fullfilled before any sort of meaningful communication can even be possible. like a similar set and range of senses, scale and sense of time, environment. like, how would you even attempt to communicate with something that perceives time 100x faster or slower than us (or even 10x) or has much longer or shorter lifespan, or sees a completely different range of the electromagnetic spectrum or some crazy poo poo like that.

what i mean is, unless the universe is full of startrek-style latex-forehead space-humans speaking space-english, communication with alien intelligence might be completely futile and/or pointless. im getting the feeling that were much too anthropocentric (well, duh) in our thinking about alien life, there might be a lot of alienmans out there, but not the kind we'd want or expect

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
watched this last night while playing some pideo shames

i thought it was p good, the only true snake

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

hubris.height posted:

escape from la is a poo poo escape from new york

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

even if we find alien life that we recognize as intelligent there's a big list of conditions that imo have to be fullfilled before any sort of meaningful communication can even be possible. like a similar set and range of senses, scale and sense of time, environment. like, how would you even attempt to communicate with something that perceives time 100x faster or slower than us (or even 10x) or has much longer or shorter lifespan, or sees a completely different range of the electromagnetic spectrum or some crazy poo poo like that.

im basically betting that intelligent life will "verbally" communicate with emitted light and "see" with emitted sound

it will be opposite of us and we will by nature of our senses be fundamentally unable to be in the same room as each other because we will blow up each others senses

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

angry_keebler posted:

if intelligent life forms when planetary conditions are right then even with very conservative estimates there should be a few hundred evenly distributed earths with civilizations with a 1-10 million year advantage on us and that's just too long

on a galactic scale this is not a long time and there's too many millions of possible destinations. you have to remember if there were some civs with a year advantage, there's a good chance a few wiped themselves out. speaking galactically we're on the very rim, if there are civs closer to the center, or halfway between close to the center and us there's very little motivation to go this far out when the interior is more packed

just theory crafting soz

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hubris.height posted:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

escape from la is a poo poo escape from new york

i love e f ny and have seen it a bunch but never seen la, was p excited when it was on netflix last night. i enjoyed it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

me @ ur postin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that's bruce campbell btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's bruce campbell btw

wow no poo poo. wow.

• Locked thread