Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
si
Apr 26, 2004

Novum posted:

Can't you just plug them into the front USB ports?

Seriously? You used to have to use some fancy device that made the KB/mouse emulate a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

si posted:

Seriously? You used to have to use some fancy device that made the KB/mouse emulate a controller.

Most games on PS3 require things like that, but Dust is one of the few that supports KB/M natively. Some fancier mice seem to be incompatible, but just a cheap basic wheel mouse should work.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Novum posted:

Yup. I have my KB/M running through a cheap USB hub so that my comfy Turtle Beach headset gets its own port.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Sammus posted:

That can be arranged in 10 matches per recruit.

Are you thinking FW injector/melee chains? Even then, that's a lot of WP to earn. Besides, don't the recruits still need to go through the Academy first to even open up FW matches? That's 10k WP earned the legit way.

In any case it seems like a hell of a lot of work for militia grade BPOs.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Present posted:

Are you thinking FW injector/melee chains? Even then, that's a lot of WP to earn. Besides, don't the recruits still need to go through the Academy first to even open up FW matches? That's 10k WP earned the legit way.

In any case it seems like a hell of a lot of work for militia grade BPOs.

Yup, needle/melee chains, and it averages 10000 to 12000 WP a match. And recruits don't need to go through the academy to get into FW matches. And while it is a lot of effort for militia BPOs, word is the dropsuits are NOT militia level, and in fact have interesting stats.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

FW is open from the get go. However, at the bottom of the Recruiting page:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS posted:

Any active DUST 514 account may send Recruiter invitations.

Recruit accounts must be created using a link provided through the Recruiter Program. Be sure your friends use a Recruiter Program invitation to create their account in order for rewards to be granted.

To be eligible for rewards, the new Recruit account needs to be activated, and the Recruit needs to log into the game.

Please note that once your Recruit signs up for an account, rewards may take up to 24 hours to be applied.

CCP reserves the right to restrict eligibility for some rewards according to criteria established by CCP in its sole discretion, and published by CCP from time-to-time, including but not limited to minimum client log-in time of the inviter.

CCP reserves the right to restrict eligibility for rewards according to requirements of applicable law, including but not limited to minimum account age. All rewards void where prohibited by law.

The Recruiter Program is intended for you to encourage new players to join DUST 514. Violating the purpose of the Recruiter Program in any way or form is prohibited. Violations of this rule will be handled by DUST 514 Customer Support, and action will be taken against players who violate this rule (including, but not limited to, warnings or bans of the offending accounts).

Abusing the Recruiter Program is considered an exploit and will not be tolerated. Incidents will be handled on a case-by-case basis and action taken may include bans for all accounts involved and/or confiscation of ISK and items. Abuse includes, but is not limited to, farming gifts and making throw-away alts for grief-play purposes.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

sleeptalker posted:

Some fancier mice seem to be incompatible

Even my fancy FPS mouse with on the fly DPI switching works perfectly. It's almost like cheating... almost.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Hobo on Fire posted:

Abusing the Recruiter Program is considered an exploit and will not be tolerated. Incidents will be handled on a case-by-case basis and action taken may include bans for all accounts involved and/or confiscation of ISK and items. Abuse includes, but is not limited to, farming gifts and making throw-away alts for grief-play purposes.

I have a feeling they put that in specifically for us...

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
It may be kind of nice to get new people to sign up using our codes, get a referral chain going perhaps like in coupons and deals. I don't know if that can work here since we already have a lot of people in the corp, but hey may as well put my link out there and see if anyone bites. https://dust514.com/recruit/RQLps8/

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I haven't recruited anyone because no one should play this terrible game

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Moronic Farce posted:

It may be kind of nice to get new people to sign up using our codes, get a referral chain going perhaps like in coupons and deals. I don't know if that can work here since we already have a lot of people in the corp, but hey may as well put my link out there and see if anyone bites. https://dust514.com/recruit/RQLps8/

I'll Add this to the OP, along with anyone else who makes a link.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Ooh, me:

https://dust514.com/recruit/FFXA0j/

Fingers crossed that the recruiter pistol they're offering is STD as opposed to a MLT BPO.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Present posted:

Ooh, me:

https://dust514.com/recruit/FFXA0j/

Fingers crossed that the recruiter pistol they're offering is STD as opposed to a MLT BPO.

Added. And I added a little note after the list

samahiel posted:

If you click on one of these links feel free to track down the guy who's name is attached to it and badger him with all the annoying questions you want. If they aren't a good mentor tell me and I'll pull their link.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Samahiel posted:

I'll Add this to the OP, along with anyone else who makes a link.

Well that's nice of you thanks.

If anyone uses my referral link I'm usually on at night time central time zone if you need advice on being mediocre at a bad game.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Novum posted:

Yes you can, but there are only two USB ports, so have fun if you have a USB mic.

By the way, are there many goons playing, or is it just that no one is in dust.CFC?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
On July 2nd a new build comes out and I'm sure there will be more people on then. There will be new stuff for us to be bad at soon!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Yes you can, but there are only two USB ports, so have fun if you have a USB mic.

By the way, are there many goons playing, or is it just that no one is in dust.CFC?

I've noticed a reduced goon population. Whether that's just bittervet syndrome or the Fountain War is anyone's guess.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Not many of us hang out in Dust.CFC, and a lot of us suffer bitter vet syndrome. Our numbers are dwindling just as rapidly as the rest of the population, people aren't really happy with CCP's many disappointments in Dust.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I fully intend to play again at some point in time, but only when drunk, unless PvE ships in. That might actually get me playing again on a regular basis.

Until then I'm going to remain a bitter vet and leave my spacegame of choice being SMAC

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.

dust.cfc is pretty much dead, the other groups who wanted it to be a thing never really told their guys to be in there.

Goonswam's fountain campaign kinda put things on hold for a while. That said, we're in discussions about possibly joining an Alliance with the Gents Dust corps, which would make getting squads going about 10x easier

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Sweet, I now have 3 recruits who've hit 100k warpoints, netting me the Assault Rifle and Scrambler Pistol on top of the suit. Keep going you beautiful bastards!

si
Apr 26, 2004

I guess I'm special, I have 4 USB ports, so I have all kinds of poo poo plugged in.

The KB/mouse combo makes the entire world of difference in this game. Though the sensitivities are a bit wacked.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If you want the full keyboard/mouse and headset experience, look for a keyboard with USB ports on it. This is the one I just bought: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9180&seq=1&format=2

And son of a bitch it went on sale right after I bought it too.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

si posted:

I guess I'm special, I have 4 USB ports, so I have all kinds of poo poo plugged in.

The KB/mouse combo makes the entire world of difference in this game. Though the sensitivities are a bit wacked.

Turn the move dead zones down to zero, aim assist off, mouse smoothing off, and adjust your controller sensitivity; and don't ask me why controller/move settings effect mouse sensitivity :ccp: .

Also I would be playing more, but I've been busy importing stuff for the fountain war and shooting test with a rail megathron.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I'm given to understand that Gents greenlit us to use their own channel since Dust.CFC didn't pan out.

It's Dust.Gents or vice versa or something. I haven't had a chance to confirm either way.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Utgardaloki posted:

I'm given to understand that Gents greenlit us to use their own channel since Dust.CFC didn't pan out.

It's Dust.Gents or vice versa or something. I haven't had a chance to confirm either way.

Dust.CFC didn't pan out cause gents which is in the CFC aren't in it. Why should we join their alliance channel when there is a coalition channel?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Sammus posted:

Not many of us hang out in Dust.CFC, and a lot of us suffer bitter vet syndrome. Our numbers are dwindling just as rapidly as the rest of the population, people aren't really happy with CCP's many disappointments in Dust.

I've found the game enormously less fun since Uprising came out. When I first got wind of the beta I was playing for 1-2 hours a day, but now I can't muster up the interest in logging on to spend unused skill points. CCP

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Although I still log in on occasion, I couldn't agree with you more. Hopefully someday CCP will find a way to make this game appealing to me again. I guess it's really nice that I don't have to actually play to earn SP on multiple accounts.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I just logged into dust to check my SP. I have -530k unallocated SP. :ccp:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I logged in and played a round today and everything just feels a bunch better, from framerate to balance to my healing abilities. The framerate definitely isn't something my mind is making up, but the idea of better balance may come from try-hardest poopsockers missing while I was also using the assault rifle when not healing.

They need to put the mechsuits in ASAP though. Maybe it's high time to create a new alt to sit and soak passive SP in preparation for that?

e: and then 1.2 adds SSAO. Because that's what we need? Not an even better framerate? Not reasons to use other weapons than assault rifles?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2013

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

bam thwok posted:

I've found the game enormously less fun since Uprising came out. When I first got wind of the beta I was playing for 1-2 hours a day, but now I can't muster up the interest in logging on to spend unused skill points. CCP

You just need to hang out with me, I can make it fun again. We'll go into faction warfare matches and needle gently caress people until they have a -200 KDR. It's like fishing, sometimes it doesn't pan out, other times we make people so mad they bitch us out on the forum in broken english.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Sammus posted:

You just need to hang out with me, I can make it fun again. We'll go into faction warfare matches and needle gently caress people until they have a -200 KDR. It's like fishing, sometimes it doesn't pan out, other times we make people so mad they bitch us out on the forum in broken english.

I always liked griefing people in Eve who weren't the best english speakers. There were some miners I always ran into, so I kept notes on the belts they liked and I'd log and pop in every now and again. One of my victims was a german guy. He was trying to cuss me out, but he somehow made it sound polite. At first he was really upset that he lost his mining rig, but then we just chatted for awhile. I think he just needed some social time. :unsmith:

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I logged in and played a round today and everything just feels a bunch better, from framerate to balance to my healing abilities.

I had a better day today as well. Did they improve framerate?

After I respecced to scout, I was having a hard time adjusting. Killing people with the shotty seemed harder than with an AR or scrambler rifle. I skilled up running skills to V. That was alright, but my hacking speed was horrible. But once I got the hacking skill to IV, I suddenly completed caps much, much more often. And looking back, it makes sense. As a dog-faced assault with no hacking speed, it seemed that scanning the area before starting a hack wasn't even enough to ensure my survival. Nearly all the times I died, it was in the last half/quarter of the hack. The marginal gains I get from the hacking skill and level III module are more than enough to finish the hack and get away.

I kinda doubt that the scout is the best suit for hacking. There's a logi suit that gets hacking bonuses, and they could probably fit more than one hacking module without screwing up a themed fitting too bad. But dropping links, hacking, and sneaking up for cheap shotty kills is fun enough for me to not worry about being super :effortless: about efficiency.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I haven't been playing in the past week much due to rolling electricity outages :allears:

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I haven't been playing in the past week much due to rolling electricity outages :allears:

Get infrastructure, scrub.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

We had infrastructure...the thunderstorms washed half of it away.

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

swampcow posted:

I don't think there has been any patches, but the downtime notices mention them doing a few changes server side.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

swampcow posted:

Saw it the moment I entered my cabin, really.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

swampcow posted:

I just logged into dust to check my SP. I have -530k unallocated SP. :ccp:

I've had that. Re-logging will fix it, or in my case just playing a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

We had infrastructure...the thunderstorms washed half of it away.

Get better infrastructure, scrub.

• Locked thread