Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Hahaha holy poo poo. It reminds of some of the dialogue from the STALKER games. Any game than let's me tell cyber-Helghast Raiden to go gently caress himself is alright in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

Regarding E.Y.E.: In any case, it'll be $2.49 (or under $2, if you find buddies for the 4-pack) in a few weeks when the summer sale starts, and it's easily worth that much.

Is that a fact, or are you just guessing it'll be on sale because it's tagged as Indie?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Is that a fact, or are you just guessing it'll be on sale because it's tagged as Indie?

It's been on sale during every major sale since Christmas 2011. If it's a guess, it's an educated and well justified guess.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh :v: guess I've just never noticed.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can someone recommend me a fun browser game? I just played a dark room and thats great, and candybox.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

massive spider posted:

Can someone recommend me a fun browser game? I just played a dark room and thats great, and candybox.
Not free and only currently in a browser, Desktop Dungeons is loving amazing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499720 More good browser games than you'll ever need.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Alright, so here's some weird requests. Hopefully someone can help:

Car combat games (not Interstate '76 of Twisted Metal), preferably post apocalyptic.
A good classic RPG. I recently tried playing Ultima 4 and the text parser was just too difficult to use, probably since I'm so terribly not used to it.
Wing Commander type games that can be played with a joystick. I've got the classics (TIE Fighter, Freespace 2), but what else is out there? MMORPG, simple action game, whatever. All I care about is that I can play it in Windows 7.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

SquadronROE posted:

A good classic RPG. I recently tried playing Ultima 4 and the text parser was just too difficult to use, probably since I'm so terribly not used to it.

You're in luck, as Ultima IV had an excellent port for the Sega Master System, which you can play emulated. It has menus instead of the text parser, but it is very faithful to the original game in all other aspects, as far as I can tell. The NES version is also good, and features improved graphics and music, but it simplified the gameplay, and suffers from one of those baffling English -> Japanese -> English translations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I loved Mark of the Ninja, are there any other stealth ninja games out there? Feudal Japan would be radical to stealth around in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dongattack posted:

I loved Mark of the Ninja, are there any other stealth ninja games out there? Feudal Japan would be radical to stealth around in.

The old Tenchu games are pretty good. I really liked Shinobido on PSP/PS2 as well.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

SquadronROE posted:

Wing Commander type games that can be played with a joystick. I've got the classics (TIE Fighter, Freespace 2), but what else is out there? MMORPG, simple action game, whatever. All I care about is that I can play it in Windows 7.

Tachyon. Comes complete with the voice acting of Bruce Campbell.

Also, check out Dark Star One, and Strike Suit Zero.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Is there anything out there like FFXII or Xenoblade Chronicles? Those two games scratched an itch I don't know if I'll ever get to scratch again. Loved the battle system and wide open worlds, and the soundtrack wasn't bad for either...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
White Knight Chronicles plays like FFXII Lite, the character creation is good, and there are online missions that are pretty decent. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really hard up for games in that vein, though. It's pretty slow and grindy, and the storyline's a generic pile of cliches.

Edit: Actually, Rogue Galaxy on PS2 is a much better game by the same developer, and has similar gameplay. It's not a top tier JRPG, but it's definitely worth playing, and it was absolutely gorgeous back when it was released.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 25, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I've never played Planescape:Torment before and picked up because of the low price on GOG. Is there anything I should know (besides installing mods) before I dive into this beast? I have only the faintest ideas of what's in store based on reading through this thread.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

N. Senada posted:

I've never played Planescape:Torment before and picked up because of the low price on GOG. Is there anything I should know (besides installing mods) before I dive into this beast? I have only the faintest ideas of what's in store based on reading through this thread.

There is one thing you need to do right off the bat. To enjoy the best moments of the game you need to build a character that would be a good mage but a lousy fighter (high int, cha, etc.). Unfortunately, you will always start the game as a fighter. As soon as you get into the city, look up a guide on the mage class change quest, changing to mage will make dealing with the limited amounts of necessary combat more manageable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

White Knight Chronicles plays like FFXII Lite, the character creation is good, and there are online missions that are pretty decent. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really hard up for games in that vein, though. It's pretty slow and grindy, and the storyline's a generic pile of cliches.

The online portion has also been gone since early this year.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
I need a new RPG to get stuck into now The Last of Us is over.

I've played most of the well known ones, both Western and the Japanese types. So it'd probably be easier to name a few i haven't. Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate and Valkyria Chronicles are probably the three ones i'm thinking of getting.

Any recommendations on the best one of the three?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd rank them in this order:

Valkyria Chronicles
Resonance of Fate
Holy gently caress is Eternal Sonata bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Definitely Valkyria. It's got a very unique battle system (though be warned battles are the only major interactive sections outside of menus)

Eternal Sonata isn't terrible but its just bland for the most part with cutscenes that are way too long and a plot that just isn't that interesting.

Resonance of Fate is a pretty decent game once you get a hang of its weird battle system. It's plot is a lot more character focused than having a long arc and there's a surprising amount of character customization for a jrpg.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Re: Planescape: Torment

The most important stat is Wisdom. Also, when you find a piece of Junk, a Hammer and a Prybar, hold onto them.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've only played the first hour or so of Planescape but I'm looking to get through it also.

Would it in any way detract from the experience to use Cheat Engine to make yourself invincible and super strong to so you can just one-hit everything you have to kill?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I've only played the first hour or so of Planescape but I'm looking to get through it also.

Would it in any way detract from the experience to use Cheat Engine to make yourself invincible and super strong to so you can just one-hit everything you have to kill?

Nope. In fact, there's a mod that does exactly that, I can't remember the name though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

It would be personal preference, since the game is 90% interesting dialogue trees.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

I've been out of the loop with PS3 gaming (bar COD and Fifa) for ~2 years so I'm struggling to find a specific game I want to purchase. I'm looking for something with plenty of loot, lots of levelling up, customising weapons etc, grinding and tons of sidequests. Not Disgaea, FFXIII, Skyrim or Borderlands as I've already played them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elswyyr posted:

Nope. In fact, there's a mod that does exactly that, I can't remember the name though.

I know there's a utility named pt_edit.exe that you can use to modify your characters. Looks like the name is "Character Control - Planescape Torment". There's also one named PTHack or TormentHack.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

GreatGreen posted:

You don't need mods. The combat is really not hard, and you're immortal so getting your rear end kicked in conventional combat doesn't actually mean game over. The system just takes a bit of used to: use spacebar liberally to pause and give orders whenever your party members are idling, or not attacking the dude(s) they're supposed to attack. Think of it as RTS that gives all the time in the world to micromanage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MrBims posted:

The most important stat is Wisdom.

Seconding this. The best dialogues and scenes in the game are only unlocked with high WIS and/or INT, with emphasis on WIS.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yohan Kebab posted:

I've been out of the loop with PS3 gaming (bar COD and Fifa) for ~2 years so I'm struggling to find a specific game I want to purchase. I'm looking for something with plenty of loot, lots of levelling up, customising weapons etc, grinding and tons of sidequests. Not Disgaea, FFXIII, Skyrim or Borderlands as I've already played them.

Resonance of Fate: it's a JRPG where the main inventory fiddling is adding all sorts of attachments to the guns your characters use. It's also fairly sidequest heavy.

Dragon's Dogma has everything but the weapon customization.

Fallout: New Vegas maybe? Sandbox RPG with some limited weapon customisation and everything else you've listed.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Also, you don't need to gather your party before venturing forth, so you can just run one dude to the next screen and skip the enemies.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Definitely Valkyria. It's got a very unique battle system (though be warned battles are the only major interactive sections outside of menus)

Eternal Sonata isn't terrible but its just bland for the most part with cutscenes that are way too long and a plot that just isn't that interesting.

Resonance of Fate is a pretty decent game once you get a hang of its weird battle system. It's plot is a lot more character focused than having a long arc and there's a surprising amount of character customization for a jrpg.

Thanks (to the poster above too), sounds like Resonance of fate is more my type of game going by that description then.

I wish Persona 5 was out soon :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can you guys recommend me PC games with deck systems? Kinda like "Armaggedon Empires" or "Wargame: Airland Battle"? It doesn't matter that much just how important to the gameplay is. I just like making decks.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Azran posted:

Can you guys recommend me PC games with deck systems? Kinda like "Armaggedon Empires" or "Wargame: Airland Battle"? It doesn't matter that much just how important to the gameplay is. I just like making decks.

Try Card Hunter - it is currently in a closed beta, but they recently started sending out more invites, I got mine last week.

You control a party of 3 characters on a traditional grid, each turn you can play one card from 3 hands of your characters: there are different types of moving (run, dash, walk), active abilities, traits that are played at the start of each round, blocks that are triggered on attack and passive armor cards. Richard Garfield is a design consultant, but maybe thats just for advertisement.

Cards are determined by your equipment: weapons provide different attack cards, armors provide different armor cards, boots provide different move cards. By leveling up your characters you open more item slots -> more cards for your deck.

The downside - it is a F2P title, with premium membership allowing bonus drops for each battle, but it mostly affects multiplayer (haven't tried it though), single-player is fine. It is also browser-based, but incredibly well-made, developed by ex-Irrational/Looking Glass folks.

It also has a retro D&D style - you are playing with faux paper figures, a dorky DM cracking terrible jokes and his grognard brother laughing at you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Every once in a while, I like to drink and play pvp games. I need a new one, preferably an fps (although I'm open to other genres) with a lively community and fast-paced, competitive gameplay.

Previous games have included WoW battlegrounds, TF2, Burnout Paradise and Brink. I should add that I don't want to play a CoD game. They make me twitchy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Every once in a while, I like to drink and play pvp games. I need a new one, preferably an fps (although I'm open to other genres) with a lively community and fast-paced, competitive gameplay.

Previous games have included WoW battlegrounds, TF2, Burnout Paradise and Brink. I should add that I don't want to play a CoD game. They make me twitchy.

This may sound silly, but have you tried Counter Strike Global Offensive yet? It's fast-paced, huge community, and really competitive. It's slower than a normal CoD match. There's also Natural Selection 2.

There's always Dota, I guess. :v:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fruits of the sea posted:

You might want to look at World of Tanks, though admittedly it isn't for everyone. There can be a lot of downtime inbetween the twitch shooting.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I'm looking for an alt tab friendly game that I can play while doing boring stuff in eve online.

Muds or Dwarf Fortress would qualify, but I have played both to death. Being able to pause or script the interface is a big plus.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rapner posted:

I'm looking for an alt tab friendly game that I can play while doing boring stuff in eve online.

Muds or Dwarf Fortress would qualify, but I have played both to death. Being able to pause or script the interface is a big plus.

You could keep with the space theme and play FTL. You can pause during battles, and nothing happens when you get to a new area until you interact with it directly.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I've already unlocked everything in it I think... except for the steam badges. Still have a few achievements though, so that isn't a bad start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Rapner posted:

If you like more puzzley games, Squarelogic: Everyday Genius and Faerie Solitaire are both pretty chill while also being interesting. Might and Magic Clash of Heroes might work too. It doesn't really pause but it's turn based.

If you want to keep with the Dwarf Fortress theme, Towns is coming together nicely. It's similar to DF except you're trying to build a town to entice heroes to come and beat the poo poo out of the monsters in the dungeons beneath it, so you can loot its goodies and build more town. Still rough around the edges but totally pause-able and different enough from DF that it's interesting.