Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

jscolon2.0 posted:

Young Justice had some weird VA choices (Wentworth Miller, Lacey Chabert, Danica McKellar) but they mostly worked. Spiner was just straight up terrible.

Nobody can out-Joker Mark Hamill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He'd have been better if he wasn't trying so hard to be Mark Hamill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dacap posted:

I liked his take actually, it was kinda halfway between Nicholson and Hamill.

I just can't buy a Joker that sounds so deep and smooth. I kept thinking he was gonna start asking me if I can dig it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why haven't they let Tim Curry voice the Joker in one of these animated specials or something.
Not only does he do voicework for these kinds of shows these days, but it would be a great easter egg/reference to how he was originally going to be the btas joker.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
While we're on this topic, and while I never watched it, I recently stumbled upon Kevin Michael Richardson's Joker and to be honest, it's not bad at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmz9LsbQ8BE&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nilbop posted:

While we're on this topic, and while I never watched it, I recently stumbled upon Kevin Michael Richardson's Joker and to be honest, it's not bad at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmz9LsbQ8BE&NR=1&feature=endscreen

The voice acting was the one thing right with that Joker.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I honestly don't get the hate for The Batman. It was a show that was just horrifically timed. A serious show featuring Batman while another serious show featuring Batman was still airing was not going to work. Which, probably, is why it became really great after JLU ended. Kevin Michael Richardson's "monkey Joker" was miles better than the Young Justice Joker linked above because he had an actual identity (and it doesn't hurt that the dude can act). The Batman was also beautifully animated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hazo posted:

I honestly don't get the hate for The Batman. It was a show that was just horrifically timed. A serious show featuring Batman while another serious show featuring Batman was still airing was not going to work. Which, probably, is why it became really great after JLU ended. Kevin Michael Richardson's "monkey Joker" was miles better than the Young Justice Joker linked above because he had an actual identity (and it doesn't hurt that the dude can act). The Batman was also beautifully animated.

It's the awful character designs. New Adventures had some questionable ones, but at least they weren't Marilyn Manson Riddler or Blanka Joker.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Again, I really think they just got caught in a bad time. That's why you see series like Young Justice, Brave and the Bold, and this new thing playing around with C- villains. Timm and Co did the good ones so right the first time that the alternatives just seem lame.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bbf2 posted:

I was killing some time watching some stuff on Netflix and decided to check out some of the direct-to-video superhero movies they have on there. I watched Under the Red Hood which was awesome but then I saw Justice League: Doom and it was pretty bad. So can anyone help me out and tell me which of the following you would recommend and are worth watching?

Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Atom
Hulk VS
Planet Hulk
Superman vs the Elite
Superman/Batman Apocalypse
All Star Superman
Invincible Iron Man
Batman: Year One
Dr. Strange
Thor
Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2

Could anyone tell me which are the best out of those?
Great:
Hulk VS Wolverine
Batman: Year One

Good:
Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Atom
Superman vs the Elite
All Star Superman

Mediocre:
Planet Hulk
Superman/Batman Apocalypse (just watch the middle and ending fights)
Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 (UA1 is somewhere between a neutered Ultimates and a worse Avengers movie, UA2 is original and also the most violent PG-13 superhero movie, animated or otherwise)

So, So Bad:
Invincible Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Thor
Hulk VS Thor

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it better or worse than Avengers United they stand?

Never seen it, but that one probably doesn't have shots of Pepper in a bikini with slow-motion sweat beads dripping on her or a 13-year old boy talking to a wall for 20 minutes. Technovore also has a completely useless Iron Man and basically the plot resolved itself, even if he would have never been involved.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hazo posted:

Again, I really think they just got caught in a bad time. That's why you see series like Young Justice, Brave and the Bold, and this new thing playing around with C- villains. Timm and Co did the good ones so right the first time that the alternatives just seem lame.

Then maybe it was a really bad idea to try to do a show that was basically B:tAS but with really stupid Guilty Gear designs for the villains.

Although I don't think anyone would have liked those designs even if the 90s cartoon never existed.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The character designs for The Batman were by no means bad. They were vibrant, somewhat toyetic, and meant to appeal to kids rather than the now-adults who'd grown up on BTAS, but they weren't bad.

Some of the characters themselves were bad, like Mr. Freeze being a diamond-obsessed thief (not bad, but it kind of lacked punch in comparison to the others). But the designs were interesting, and did the whole "silver age goofiness" tribute thing in part, before The Brave and The Bold did it full-time.

I don't think anyone who gets that hung up on the designs has even given the show much of a try. It's not exactly DCAU levels of intrigue and metaplot, but it's a reasonable adventure with some nicely animated fight scenes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The reaction of hating the rastafarian Joker always struck me as kneejerk. It was just to have punch ups with Batman but there's this in-human quality to the way he moves that I enjoy and they didn't really change the character beyond looks and being able to fight better then usual.

I like the occasions where they play up Joker being hard to fight because he moves so strange you can't tell if he's going to hit you or fall over. I think the Cassandra Cain Batgirl likened it to trying to fight somebody while they were having a seizure.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Batman has an episode where the Penguin ends up with Green Lantern's ring so I can't hate it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I tried watching The Batman when it was first on but gave up when the Penguin showed up and they had he and Batman get into a fight with the Penguin busting out martial arts moves.

I think a lot of people have a bad opinion of The Batman because it was on at the same time frame as JL/U so you could still watch the vastly superior DCAU Batman. Also, even though it wasn't the show's fault, it was the cause of the Bat-embargo. Where WB executives decided that kids would be confused by the same characters showing up on different shows so Justice League wasn't allowed to use any of Batman's supporting cast/villains.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Look, I didn't say I hated it--I just think it was a bit half-baked. And as everyone else said, it's miles (miles!) above poor Brent Spiner's hackjob.

edit:
His impression of Patrick Stewart is incredible though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcammV9G1Y

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 25, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BioTech posted:

Never seen it, but that one probably doesn't have shots of Pepper in a bikini with slow-motion sweat beads dripping on her or a 13-year old boy talking to a wall for 20 minutes. Technovore also has a completely useless Iron Man and basically the plot resolved itself, even if he would have never been involved.

Here is the first episode. It is something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BExZpfWrwLI

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

bobkatt013 posted:

I had to stop at the part where Ultron uses his rocket fist to smash each individual monitor of Henry Pym.

Edit: Hawkeye for worst voice of all time across all media.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 25, 2013

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Just watch the last 2 seasons of The Batman, they were pretty darn good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheHan posted:

I had to stop at the part where Ultron uses his rocket fist to smash each individual monitor of Henry Pym.

Edit: Hawkeye for worst voice of all time across all media.

Did you get the random cgi armoring up yet?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bobkatt013 posted:

This is so 90s it's not even funny (Okay, a little).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

People consider this the worst Marvel animated property? I mean it's pretty terrible but it's not boring, which is the most unforgivable cartoon crime. It sounds like there's four (hilariously terrible) voice actors, it's entirely B and C characters, and apparently it's based around selling $49.95 PRESIDENTIAL CHOPPERS at KB Toys, but really. It's amazing in its own way and I've watched worse from the same era.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 26, 2013

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I remember really really liking The Batman take on Clayface. They pretty much mashed his origin with Two Faces but it worked really well and they actually developed that arch. He managed to have serious character development episodes and episodes as the monster of the week that were all equally interesting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Then maybe it was a really bad idea to try to do a show that was basically B:tAS but with really stupid Guilty Gear designs for the villains.

I agree that the early seasons are spotty because they do try to ape B:TAS and be too serious, but seriously the show gets really enjoyable later on. Also, I really like the second theme song. The first one is just trying too hard to be cool (it is composed by The Edge from U2, which along with the Spider-Man musical is more proof that U2 needs to stay away from superheroes) The second is more... fun, I guess is the word. Kinda like the show, really, since after Robin and Batgirl show up there's a marked improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWBIGd6BvKs

Also The Batman provided us with The Batman vs. Dracula aka the best DC Animated Feature.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Season 1 of the Batman is not that great, but the Joker and Penguin episodes are good. Season 2 is significantly better and where the show becomes good. Season 3 when Batgirl jumps on first is really loving good, oh my god. Season 4 when Robin shows up is the best season in the series and it becomes one of the best Batman cartoons at that point. Season 5 is... okay, but not fantastic. That being said, it does have its problems, like Batgirl kind of losing focus the second after they're allowed to use Robin, Season 5 focuses a ton on JL stuff rather than actual Batman, and some of the designs are kind of dumb. However its positives are that it has fantastic voice acting, great stories (Especially Artifacts, that episode is fuckin awesome) and legitimately fun characters and even has a fun Dracula movie.

The Batman owns, go watch it.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

People consider this the worst Marvel animated property? I mean it's pretty terrible but it's not boring, which is the most unforgivable cartoon crime. It sounds like there's four (hilariously terrible) voice actors, it's entirely B and C characters, and apparently it's based around selling $49.95 PRESIDENTIAL CHOPPERS at KB Toys, but really. It's amazing in its own way and I've watched worse from the same era.

I don't understand why this was in response to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The voices are the best part.

Scarlet Witch: "When I change the way probability affects something the world goes a little bit crazy"! :iamafag:

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Yeh, so I just watched Injustice: God's among us, the full movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z3kABf2s1c

It's pretty fookin' good! :stare:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Uh, what? You mean the cutscenes from the the games storymode?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

spikenigma posted:

Yeh, so I just watched Injustice: God's among us, the full movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z3kABf2s1c

It's pretty fookin' good! :stare:

Oh hey this one includes some actual gameplay so it isn't completely jarring.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

KungFu Grip posted:

Uh, what? You mean the cutscenes from the the games storymode?

yep, + small pertinent bits of gameplay.

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh hey this one includes some actual gameplay so it isn't completely jarring.

and yep!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Or you could watch JL: Crisis on Two Earths which is basically the exact same story and features both cool Wonder Woman fight scenes AND James Woods as Owlman. Also Batman straight up kills two people but you know whatever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Or you could watch JL: Crisis on Two Earths which is basically the exact same story and features both cool Wonder Woman fight scenes AND James Woods as Owlman. Also Batman straight up kills two people but you know whatever.

Wasn't there a Justice League episode as well that told an even more similar story?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

ToastyPotato posted:

Wasn't there a Justice League episode as well that told an even more similar story?
Yeah there was the Justice Lords arc which was pretty good too! But that was the evil Superman coming to the "normal" DCU instead of the other way around, I think.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yeah there was the Justice Lords arc which was pretty good too! But that was the evil Superman coming to the "normal" DCU instead of the other way around, I think.

That was part of it. It starts out on their world, I think some League guys end up there for reasons. I know Flash was one of them because on their world he was dead and they were weirded out by it. At some point the Justice Lords decide to come to the normal world after they locked up the Leaguers or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Also Batman straight up kills two people but you know whatever.

When did that happen.

Also synopsis for the first 3 episodes of Beware the Batman.

Hunted (July 13th) – Batman stops two vigilantes from taking their revenge over a shady land deal. An aging Alfred hires his replacement: a female bodyguard named Katana.
Secrets (July 20th) – A new female villain, Magpie, kidnaps Batman, who must decipher her multiple personality disorder in order to outsmart her.
Tests (July 27th) – Bruce puts Katana through a series of tests to prove her loyalty; meanwhile Batman battles Anarky.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

MonsterEnvy posted:

When did that happen.

Also synopsis for the first 3 episodes of Beware the Batman.

Hunted (July 13th) – Batman stops two vigilantes from taking their revenge over a shady land deal. An aging Alfred hires his replacement: a female bodyguard named Katana.
Secrets (July 20th) – A new female villain, Magpie, kidnaps Batman, who must decipher her multiple personality disorder in order to outsmart her.
Tests (July 27th) – Bruce puts Katana through a series of tests to prove her loyalty; meanwhile Batman battles Anarky.

He tricks Johnny Quick into running so fast he dies and then he leaves Owlman to get blown up. It's not "dropping them off a building" or whatever but they definitely die because of things he does or doesn't do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

He tricks Johnny Quick into running so fast he dies and then he leaves Owlman to get blown up. It's not "dropping them off a building" or whatever but they definitely die because of things he does or doesn't do.

I don't consider what happened with Johnny Quick to be him killing him even if he is responsible however I understand how people could say he killed him. However he did not kill Owlman he warps the super bomb away were it will be harmless with Owlman however he left Owlman with the teleporter so Owlman could have saved himself. But Owlman decided to not to bother saving himself viewing it as pointless.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I finally had a chance to see the first two episodes of Avengers Assemble...and I'm fine with it. Now I absolutely loved the crap out of Earths Mightiest Heroes, but I'm not really getting the reason for some of the extreme dislike I've see for it, besides its not EMH, which is a fair complaint I just look at it as EMH isn't coming back and trying to judge it on its own merits. Red Skull is really well voiced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gfanikf posted:

So I finally had a chance to see the first two episodes of Avengers Assemble...and I'm fine with it. Now I absolutely loved the crap out of Earths Mightiest Heroes, but I'm not really getting the reason for some of the extreme dislike I've see for it, besides its not EMH, which is a fair complaint I just look at it as EMH isn't coming back and trying to judge it on its own merits. Red Skull is really well voiced.

The fact that it's not EMH's is reason enough for it to be disliked (Along with several of the new voice actors not being as good as the old ones.) as EMH's was killed just so this show could come in.

• Locked thread