Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Comrade Question posted:

Egoraptor staying with the easy money maker while Jon is moving on to produce better content makes him look pretty bad. I haven't watched Punch Out, but the (first 20 seconds or so of the) Hotline Miami episode made me gag. You only get away with burping in a video if your other qualities make up for it.

The Hotline Miami one is just an absolute mess. I guess they thought their voices were funny enough to carry it? I also want to point out that while this Danny fellow is alright or whatever in Game Grumps (he IS good at Punch-Out) the other guy is just a straight up Egoraptor rip-off. He does the exact same schtick, they use the same style of comedy, stilted talking, long silences--except that Arin makes it funny and this guy just annoys me that he isn't Arin. He should make his own shtick rather than just borrow off somebody else's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If anything I'm barely reacting.

I'm also not aware of any tie-ins with this video. Are a bunch of YouTubers being given interviews with Pacific Rim people or something? The Grumps video is all I've seen from this project so I have no idea what progress is being made.

I don't follow the Gamegrumps at all so maybe their coverage of it has been really poo poo but it's part of this project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbd_6oskZ9Y

A few teams of Youtubers are going to be dressing up in suits and pretending to control the mechs from Pacific Rim and stuff; the people in the movie are making them costumes, which is what (I assume) that video was about. Doing a quick check in is perfectly legitimate and you're getting mad about nothing, and saying it's a lazy interview especially is pretty hilarious given what's going into the project :v:.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you clowns wanna keep chatting about lazy LPs, here, have some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRRXwOQVCcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-PYLfduLE

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

quakster posted:

If you clowns wanna keep chatting about lazy LPs, here, have some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRRXwOQVCcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-PYLfduLE

I honestly like the dynamic the steam train guys have, and I like that little live action intro video. The fist episode was just so bad.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Benne posted:

Dan Olson of Foldable Ideas takes on MRAs (spoiler: they're idiots, but you already knew that). He also reveals an interesting detail about his past. Pro read.

http://chezapocalypse.com/shut-the-up-about-systemic-misandry/

This was an awesome read, btw. Thanks for sharing.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Benne posted:

Dan Olson of Foldable Ideas takes on MRAs (spoiler: they're idiots, but you already knew that). He also reveals an interesting detail about his past. Pro read.

http://chezapocalypse.com/shut-the-up-about-systemic-misandry/

This was a terrific read, but it wasn't by Dan Olsen. It was by Dan Roth who has written other articles for the site.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Ah, that makes a *lot* more sense, seeing as the author mentioned something hinting that they had a non-standard take on gender (can't think of a good way to put it) with the indication that they'd passed as female at some point. And as far as I know, Dan Olsen has never given any kind of indication of gender variance/queerness/trans* identity/drag hijinks. Roth, on the other hand, has written about gender and sexism related stuff before, so that might be one of their topics of choice. I found the article really good, and well written.

To be honest I'm sort of..glad it's not by Folding Ideas, since I don't really like the guy's attitude. I'm not putting him in the same camp as Phil Buni, but they do come across in a similar way in terms of indicating that they seem to know everything about reviewing ever and everyone should listen to their genius advice. Plus, the tweets by Oancitizen saying he was the most intelligent reviewer ever, so much smarter than all those other reviewers or something along those lines..made me a tad annoyed. Why not just say the review was an intelligent take on a subject and worth seeing, rather than saying "Folding Ideas is the pinnacle of geeenius! All other reviewers are grasping idiot nerds!"
I suppose I should watch more of Olsen's stuff and decide for myself, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly is his niche/thing he focusses on, and the few reviews I've watched..similar to Phil Buni..were...decent. Moderately interesting, but they didn't really leave much of an impression on me otherwise.

Anyway, contribution to the thread! Rantasmo has a new review out - about why the hell Ben Affleck seems to have a magic penis that turns lesbians straight. More specifically it's about his roles in Chasing Amy and Gigli. Now, I realise his take on Chasing Amy may seem..mildly contentious, since a lot of people seem to love that movie. I, on the other hand, never really wanted to see it. I was put off by the "lesbians turning straight?" storyline, and the Kevin-smithy vibes. I probably should just give it a watch for myself, but now that Rantasmo has reviewed it (and said pretty much everything about sexuality that I would have said), I no longer need to. Hooray!

(It's a really comprehensive, excellent review with a lot of good points about the way queer sexuality works, and the portrayal of bisexuality in movies)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wow, totally got my Dans mixed up. Sorry for the confusion guys :v:

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

.......Doug's doing a Power Rangers sketch now. ....Kay.

KKall fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 26, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sundiata posted:

.......Doug's doing a Power Rangers sketch now. ....Kay.

That review was okay.

Not great, but it filled 30 minutes and kept me watching. Linkara scaring the villain away via sperging was pretty funny, though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hop into the nostalgia time machine, 90's kids, because MovieBob is taking you back to a show you probably shouldn't be nostalgic for: :krad: STREET SHARKS :krad:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7543-Jawsome

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benne posted:

Hop into the nostalgia time machine, 90's kids, because MovieBob is taking you back to a show you probably shouldn't be nostalgic for: :krad: STREET SHARKS :krad:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7543-Jawsome

Huh, so that's what those sharkman action figures I had as a kid were for.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

RustyTrombone posted:

What makes it seem like a joke? I've read that Jon wanted to move to New York to be with his girlfriend. Very disappointing. :(

Where did you read this?

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RentCavalier posted:

Where did you read this?

Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamegrumps/comments/1h2ioz/found_this_on_the_grump_facebook_page_guy_in_red/

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Maremidon posted:

Huh, so that's what those sharkman action figures I had as a kid were for.

Like Bob said, they were just another merchandising cash grab trying to catch the TMNT wave, but came after Power Rangers cornered the market for good, and were pretty dated even at the time. One of those bizarre 90's things that could only happen during the bizarre 90's.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 27, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Maremidon posted:

That review was okay.

Not great, but it filled 30 minutes and kept me watching. Linkara scaring the villain away via sperging was pretty funny, though.
Sure it wasn't necessarily funny but I honestly thought the ending of him talking about nostalgia was pretty well written and something in not having watching him in over half a year was really surprising. :3:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Interesting that they finished Sonic 06 but the episodes haven't been uploaded yet. I wonder if they will ever go ahead and upload them, or if they think it'll be too weird and confusing to suddenly post a video with Jon back in it, which might make people think he was back for good or something.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any good reviewers that do in depth looks at Video Games? Something along the lines of Extra Credits but more talking about games themselves than The Industry/Making games

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

BigRed0427 posted:

Are there any good reviewers that do in depth looks at Video Games? Something along the lines of Extra Credits but more talking about games themselves than The Industry/Making games

As far as in depth analysis of games goes, Matthewmatosis is a good place to look. His videos are quite long as far as internet reviewers go, but he more or less goes through each game he reviews section by section, analyzing what does and doesn't work and generally giving equal representation to each. In particular, his Legend of Zelda and Metal Gear Solid series retrospectives are really good. Errant Signal is also worth checking out as if you want something in the same vein as that but a bit more bite-sized and in the style of Extra Credits.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
If you liked the Grant Kirkhope guest episode of Game Grumps, it's worth pointing out that some of the original Rare devs are currently doing an LP of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Here's the first video. They talk pretty extensively about the development of the whole thing, and are even more raunchy than Grant. Definitely worth watching.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Rebochan posted:

Oh hey, it's new Histoy of Power Rang-oh, wait...it's the Nostalgia Critic?

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

I'm not sure why he did this. He said himself several times he wasn't a fan growing up. The whole review came off that way. He really should have done that with Linkara for more than the quick gag at the end, balance out his apathy towards the franchise. Missed opportunity.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

If you liked the Grant Kirkhope guest episode of Game Grumps, it's worth pointing out that some of the original Rare devs are currently doing an LP of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Here's the first video. They talk pretty extensively about the development of the whole thing, and are even more raunchy than Grant. Definitely worth watching.

I love you.

And holy poo poo they're actually talking about making the game rather than making loving fart sounds and yelling for no reason. Don't they know how to LP!?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I love you.

And holy poo poo they're actually talking about making the game rather than making loving fart sounds and yelling for no reason. Don't they know how to LP!?

Don't worry, they still fulfill the spirit of youtube LP's by being absolute poo poo at the game. :haw:
I think my favorite bit is when the person playing can't find the ladder while staring at a pillar surrounded by giant "EXIT" signs with arrows pointing at said pillar.
It's ok though because they make up for it by filling repeated sections with interesting banter and background on the game.

(Double props to them for managing to make a camcorder LP that doesn't look that bad)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The best is one of the things they apparently wanted to include in the Xbox version: a gate at the barn named Bill who's complaining about all his windows being broken.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Paw has a new Music Movies video: The Jungle Book

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/music-movies-the-jungle-book/

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

In the same vein as the developer commentaries presented here, there is this youtube channel, which features two ex-Insomniac staff who worked as junior developers on Ratchet and Clank 2 & 3, named Tony Garcia, who now works at Double Fine, and Mike Stout, who now works at Activision on the Skylanders series. They play through the second and third games (terribly) and reminisce about their time working at Insomniac on the games, offering insight into design decisions, hidden game systems (the bolt calculation one is good) and office stories.

It is actually a really good series, well worth the watch if you liked the R&C games. They say that when they get free time, they may make more on the next game (Deadlocked) or the first game. I hope they get around to it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey is Stuff You Like any good?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

I think so. She follows the Nostalgia Chick template, which resembles more of a written essay about a movie than a recap. Imagine if, instead of really wanting to be Daria, Lindsay Ellis really wanted to be Buffy, and you'll probably get how Jill's presentation style differs from Lindsay's.

She's also been a guest on my show a few times and is a lot of fun to talk to.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but you should also check Bunny Hop Show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something interesting; Todd In the Shadows reviews the movie Burleqsue.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Holy crap a new episode of Brows Held High is up!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Nostalgia Chick just posted to her facebook followers:

quote:

At this point I've gotten enough questions on the issue that I feel it warrants a response, so here goes:

I'm not dead. I'm sick. Without going into too much detail, an old ailment has flared up. It does this every few years or so, and this particular episode has been a rough one. I've been in treatment for a little while and I'm hopping from doctor to doctor trying to find the right cocktail to get my brain back in working order. It's nothing dramatic or out of the ordinary, and I may expound on it later and in more helpful detail, but for now we'll leave it at this; my machine is broken. It's in the shop right now. Don't confuse this for fishing for compliments or pity, but it's been a while since I've produced anything, and I feel I owe at least a simple explanation. This one is all I have to offer right now, for what that's worth.

Thanks for your patience and concern. ♥

Hope she recovers soon. I miss her videos, and I totally relate to personal issues completely zapping your ability to do anything else.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guess I have to start watching this show now

quote:

Kaylyn Dicksion ‏@MarzGurlProd 52s
Well, the cat's out of the bag... You helped me make it as a finalist as the People's Nerd for King of the Nerds Season 2! Thank you!

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
New Cinema Snob of the film Shock! Shock! Shock! This movie sure is... something. :stare:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
For those of you who have been watching it, what's the general consensus on Steam Train so far through 6 episodes? I watched the first half of the first episode and it was kinda bad so I decided to put it off until (if) I heard positive reviews about the first few.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

bbf2 posted:

For those of you who have been watching it, what's the general consensus on Steam Train so far through 6 episodes? I watched the first half of the first episode and it was kinda bad so I decided to put it off until (if) I heard positive reviews about the first few.

so far it's very so-and-so, sometimes ross is a bitter, bitter man which adds some flavor and humor to the show, but there's still not much chemistry or snappy humor keeping the show funny or engaging. it's not yet worth watching.

however Danny has proven to be funny, engaging and has a great chemistry with Arin so game grumps is worth watching.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Al-Saqr posted:

so far it's very so-and-so, sometimes ross is a bitter, bitter man which adds some flavor and humor to the show, but there's still not much chemistry or snappy humor keeping the show funny or engaging. it's not yet worth watching.

however Danny has proven to be funny, engaging and has a great chemistry with Arin so game grumps is worth watching.

Yeah, frankly Steam Train is way too similar to the current offerings and Ross lends absolutely nothing to the proceedings except bad jokes or just bland jokes. Danny talking happily about Space Quest IV makes for great listening though--I rather wish Arin was backing him up instead of Ross since the two work much better together. Jon's presence is still noticeably absent, which only goes to show how much more domineering he was of the whole affair. Steam Train is just bleh, Game Grumps is still fairly decent and it's actually really nice to see somebody skilled at the games coming in. The Punch-Out Videos are really stellar.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I haven't watched Steam Train at all, but I gotta admit I'm really enjoying the new grumps. While I thought Jon was less horrible than Arin (because Arin is a dumbshit), Danny hasn't seen fit to just randomly break out into annoying song or into completely stupid, sheltered, misogynist, homophobic or racist tirades out of nowhere. Plus he has great chemistry with Arin and is actually good at playing games. Holy poo poo, can you imagine Punch Out as done by Arin and Jon? They wouldn't even have gone past Glass Joe. And SMB2 would've been nothing but "hey Arin look at that guy he's all like <unintelligible squabble>"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Steam Train is pretty lame but Grumps has actually been pretty fun for all the reasons already said.

Ross is really loving boring though, he's not even like, offensive or insulting or anything else like that, he's just really boring and not funny. I guess he's kinda supposed to be the straight man, but he's not even that because he genuinely is trying to make those lovely jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TGWTG released the 5th Anniversary teaser trailer, which is for something called 'Uncanny Valley', a series of short films done by a few of the TGWTG people. Looks very scaled back from last year.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/39782-the-5th-year-anniversary-trailer

• Locked thread