Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Just a reminder, but Sonia's lying through her teeth about wanting to protect her skin from the sun with the wetsuit. Back in Update 10...

Oren posted:

Where's the SPF45, Sonia Nevermind? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Orfeo posted:

Just a reminder, but Sonia's lying through her teeth about wanting to protect her skin from the sun with the wetsuit. Back in Update 10...

Where's the SPF45, Sonia Nevermind? :colbert:

In Hanamura's hands. Presumably, he still had the bottle on him when Monobear fried him. :v:

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Also, they were given out by Usami so it's probably all she had to put up with until she could get a wetsuit in the first place.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Popo posted:

I can't say that I was but with her "Protect me" request I wasn't expecting her to die so soon.

Really? Maizono died after getting Naegi to promise her the same thing in DR1.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

drat, our heroes are really bad at this "hero" stuff then.

Nanami is a bit closer to Kirigiri than Koizumi, anyway. Koizumi was a more sane Maizono if anything.

(Now watch as the game proves she wasn't sane at all)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I was finding Koizumi's misandry almost as grating as Hanamura's misogynistic attitude so I can't say I'm sad to be rid of her. Though I am glad that Hanamura died sooner than her.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

I was finding Koizumi's misandry almost as grating as Hanamura's misogynistic attitude so I can't say I'm sad to be rid of her. Though I am glad that Hanamura died sooner than her.

I wouldn't say that Koizumi was a misandrist - she just had some rather old-fashioned views when it came to gender roles.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

I wouldn't say that Koizumi was a misandrist - she just had some rather old-fashioned views when it came to gender roles.

I think she's more like Strangelove in MGS Peace Walker. She's not particularly fond of when the guys act like stereotypical boys. However, she also doesn't necessarily want them to NOT conform to these stereotypes.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Also, misandry doesn't exist.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

Coolguye posted:

I gotta say, for me Koizumi's disdain for men was basically her only interesting trait. I was kind of hoping she'd start calling out guys for being sexist or something but I always knew that given it's a Japanese thing and how stuff like Mikan's fanservice pose was handled that the chances of that happening were pretty close to zero.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

While her attitude was kind of grating, I warmed up to her because she grieved the most when Togami died, and again when Hanamura did. Despite her attitude, she really cared for them, and in general the game seemed to be setting her up to be the human, emotional one of the group, like Asahina.

And then she died.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

quote:

Ah, but putting him aside... this is the one I am most interested in.
This "Kirakira-chan" has been a regular on these special features for some time, you see.
But just in case, let me explain to you everything about him...
Kirakira-chan is a self-appointed "Warrior of Justice" serial killer!

A delightful serial killer who wears masks of hero characters from all over the world, killing off criminals one by one!
S...Sonia...?
Because of the masks he wears, no one knows what Kirakira-chan's age or gender is.
An air of mystery is indispensable for a serial killer! He scores most high on that account! Yes!
I think I have an idea what the mask is about. I have a suspicion that Saionji is Kirakira-chan given how much she went on about justice and got angry at people for sympathizing with Teruteru. Of course, there's also a decent chance that this is another body-moving-copycat-shenanigans thing, but that mask looks like a hero and we have a serial killer who wears the masks of heroes so that's definitely going to be important.

edit: somehow the last page wasn't showing up in forum searches so I now see this has been posited already. I still suspect body-moving-copycat-shenanigans.

Gay Abortions fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 28, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
It's not even that Saionji is too likely a suspect from a meta perspective for that her to be Kira-kira-chan. As mentioned (by me) she is probably just a poor brat who's gotten her first taste of freedom from whatever rigid upbringing she had to conform to in the past. If she's such a hotshit serial killer/Warrior of Justice, she wouldn't really be running around in that kimono for the job, either. It's too restrictive for the movements needed to ka-bong somebody with a baseball bat, much less someone alot taller than herself, and she can't even dress herself in it without help so she doesn't have the capacity to switch costumes.

While it's true that she was really vehement about Hanamura's fate, the reason she did was because from her perspective, killing another human being was the worst loving thing a person could do. Kirakira, according to Sonia, goes around killing criminals. Not murderers, specifically, by her account, but just criminals. From Saionji's outlook, killing someone else means you deserve to die, not simply committing crimes, and even then she doesn't advocate grabbing something heavy and beating Hanamura or any other killer to death. She seems to display open contempt more than anything.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 28, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CandyCrazy posted:

While her attitude was kind of grating, I warmed up to her because she grieved the most when Togami died, and again when Hanamura did. Despite her attitude, she really cared for them, and in general the game seemed to be setting her up to be the human, emotional one of the group, like Asahina.

And then she died.

Now who's left in the cast who can fulfill that role?

Hinata is actually pretty good at it, better than Naegi, but anyone else?

I hope that Kuzuryuu and Komeda don't survive. Not every jerk is concealing a good side.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Komaeda is pretty emotional and cares for everyone. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ettin posted:

Komaeda is pretty emotional and cares for everyone. :colbert:

Unless they fail to meet his expectations, anyway. Then they can fry for all he cares.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Gundam's all alone building a sandcastle. Nice detail, creative team. :smith:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

somepartsareme posted:

Also, misandry doesn't exist.

Please don't.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Unless they fail to meet his expectations, anyway. Then they can fry for all he cares.

He did a lot more to assist Hanamura from being deep-fried than anyone else did.

Sure he's a nutter, but quit trying to make Nagito a worse person than he actually is. It's rude. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
If Sonia was worried before about burning, she could have chosen not to swim like some of the others did. But no, she went out in that swimsuit. Which, while it's not a bikini, leaves arms, shoulders, and legs vulnerable to burning. That's a really good catch, Orfeo. Although it's definitely something you wouldn't remember if you were playing through the game. So yeah, her wearing a full body wetsuit now and saying she's worried about burning is a lie. Which doesn't necessarily mean she's the killer, but it is weird as hell. She is one of the prime suspects, the others being in my opinion Peko and Saonji.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
Looking back at that update, Monomi showed up and handed out school swimsuits to everyone.

It's not unreasonable that Sonia would have wore one to go along with everyone else, and gotten a wetsuit when she had planned ahead to go swimming.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Spatula City posted:

If Sonia was worried before about burning, she could have chosen not to swim like some of the others did. But no, she went out in that swimsuit. Which, while it's not a bikini, leaves arms, shoulders, and legs vulnerable to burning. That's a really good catch, Orfeo. Although it's definitely something you wouldn't remember if you were playing through the game. So yeah, her wearing a full body wetsuit now and saying she's worried about burning is a lie.

Well... that, or she wore the regular swimsuit that first time, got a little burned, and didn't want it to happen again.

I think it's reasonably likely that the wetsuit will be relevant to the case, but this doesn't really prove she was lying.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Gundam's all alone building a sandcastle. Nice detail, creative team. :smith:

He's not alone. He's got a castle full of valiant fuzzy warriors.

Dezmonik
Jun 23, 2013

Alopex posted:

He's not alone. He's got a castle full of valiant fuzzy warriors.

Don't you mean Dark Lords?

Dezmonik
Jun 23, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it's their ship name.

Uh yeah, I'm an idiot and didn't put Hinami. But anyway, I think it's fair to think that she's got the highest chance of actually seeing the whole game through, meaning that she's probably going to learn something by playing it that's either going to make her act erratically, or give someone a motive to kill her.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Coolguye posted:

I realize this thread often devolves into some kind of Ninja Warrior of being the Biggest Anime, but this is really dumb and you should stop it.

Also folks let's get back to talking about the update and not fictional anime girl fictionally anime hatin' fictional anime men or whatever. That'd be really cool.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 28, 2013

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
New definition of hell : 5000 idiot detectives competing to see who can solve a crime without having any clues. :negative:

The only theory I like is the "Weird mask = Kirakira = Probably Peko" one. And the less said about "Owari = Werewolf" the better.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Loving Hinata's silly hair on those comic edits, keep them coming!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know but I was thinking they might string it out just a bit more. I guess getting her past chapter 1 kind of counts.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Why exactly do we think Peko is Kirakira again? I mean granted the fact that Sonia mentioned her earlier on probably means he/she'll make an apperance ala genocider syo, knowing this game's track record for foreshadowing and all, but why peko?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Apollove posted:

Why exactly do we think Peko is Kirakira again? I mean granted the fact that Sonia mentioned her earlier on probably means he/she'll make an apperance ala genocider syo, knowing this game's track record for foreshadowing and all, but why peko?

She kinda looks like Fukawa, also swords and stuff

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Apollove posted:

It's not that most people think Peko is Kirakira (unless I've been missing something) it's that she was the only other one around when Sonia and Hinata were talking about Kirakira and she's one of the popular suspects thanks to the three hour swim meaning she'd have had to come from the beach and likely encounter Koizumi.
Then you have the mask at the crime scene and it's only natural that if you suspect Peko you try and work in the mask. She knows about Kirakira so it could just be that but because of Syo it's not unreasonable to also suspect she (or anyone else) might be Kirakira him/herself.

Personally while Peko is at the top of my list right now I don't think she is Kirakira but it's still an idea worth considering.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Apollove posted:

We don't necessarily think she is, but it started off with Peko being around at the time when Sonia mentioned Kirakira. Several people thought that Peko's reaction to the conversation was a bit strange. She wasn't pleased about Sonia and Hinata discussing a serial killer so lightly. With that in addition to Peko being a strong fighter, it made for the bare bones of a theory.

I believe there was also some speculation that potentially Peko could use her knowledge of Sonia's fannish adoration of Kirakira in order to cover up a murder, perhaps by killing a student and making it look as if Kirakira did it.

Then there was the free time event with Peko, where a couple of the things there seemed to be perhaps a bit suspicious, given that Kirakira is supposed to be a "warrior of justice" and that Peko's voice actress (the same one who did Sailor Moon) was one of the ones who was specifically requested for this game. Update #47 is the one with the free time event, if you want to check it all, but it has things like..."That is not the point of kendo for me. I was set on a different goal from the very beginning. I protect those that should be protected, and cut those that should be cut." and talking about how the path she's been set on has caused her to lose "warm" and "fluffy fluffy" things. But maybe she was just talking about how being strong and fearsome caused fluffy animals to dislike her.

I think that the free time event was at the least designed to make people wonder if Peko is Kirakira. Free time events in the last game sometimes had plot-relevant hints. It just remains to be seen whether DR2 is just messing with us by dangling the possibility of Kirakira being on the island, or if Kirakira really is there. Kirakira is bound to come up in some way, given the mask at Koizumi's murder scene.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I personally want all the trackpads in the world to be dead :effort:

(By which I mean I like your post)

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Dias posted:

So, let's analyze what we have so far.

Great info, and a lot of the information is right, but I came to the exact opposite conclusion. I actually think Saionji and Kuzuryuu are completely innocent. Here's my thinking:

We have it established earlier in the thread that 3 people must see a body for the announcement to happen. Someone mentioned that in DR1, 3 non-killers saw the body before the announcement. Monobear has no reason to change a rule this subtly, so we can assume 4 people total see a murder before it is announced: X->1->2->3 with X being the killer and the rest being people who discover the body.

We KNOW Souda was 3. Normally, I'd say he's still suspect since maybe he was using Hinata as his alibi and had done the murder ahead of time, but the announcement coincides with his scream. He's innocent.

If Souda is 3, then 1 and 2 must have seen the body (duh). The strange thing is, normally anyone who sees the body would IMMEDIATELY announce it. Only one murder means only one graduate, there'd be no point in collaborating. Which 2 people A) Had the opportunity, to our knowledge, to see the body; B) Had a reason not to tell anyone (yet). This brings me to Saionji and Kuzuryuu.

Kuzuryuu was the first one we meet, and we meet him face to face. He seemed panicked, but did not seem to have any blood on him. If you look at the body again, the amount of blood is huge, so it's doubtful there wouldn't have been any splatter. I find it very likely that he is 1, and, since he has no friends on the island, he thinks telling people about the body he saw will implicate him. He's this game's Togami and will continue being suspicious until he learns the power of friendship (or gets :commissar:) He's innocent.

Next we see Saionji running away crying. Her being the smallest, and, assumably, least physically able of the cast, I have doubts that she could swing the bat high enough and hard enough. Even if she could though: We see her running away crying. This means we can see her well enough to see the tears, yet we don't see any blood. To our knowledge, she never learned how to change outfits, so if she was the killer, there'd be blood. As for why she doesn't tell anyone, that's simple: she's distraught. Her friend died, she runs away screaming. Hell, she might be running to find people, she may have forgotten entirely that people are at the diner if she knew at all. She's 2, and she's innocent.

I'm basing both of those pretty heavily on condition B (Saw the body but had a reason not to tell). These are the only two we've seen who were in the right area to discover the body, and the only two at all who have some logical reason for not being like Souda and calling people over.

As for the rest of the cast:

Hinata=innocent. (I'm still waiting for a DR game that makes our first protagonist the killer, then switches protagonists after the trial) He's with Souda the whole time, didn't really have time beforehand (met Souda at 2:30, free time prior to that). I know, it's obvious, but just covering all the bases.

I agree completely that Akane is off the hook. If she did it, Nidai would break her alibi. Unless we think she could do the murder with a concussion (leaking a trail of blood all the way from her own wound), she didn't do it. She's innocent.

Incidentally, since Akane met Nidai along the way (ie: NOT at the beach), we can say that it wasn't Nidai either. He's innocent.

These two are based on their mutual alibi, but this only applies IF the time of death is 3:00 or later (after Hinata and Souda arrive), since they wouldn't have time/would be seen. If time of death is significantly earlier, we'll have to reexamine.

Gundam is a similar case. We see him before we head off with Souda. Only one path past the diner, and we got there first. If the murder is recent, G-man is innocent.

Nagito, so far as we know, is still tied up. No doubt he Hannibal Lecter'd the victim, the killer, or both into doing something, but, unless he's free, he's innocent.

If the reasoning is sound so far, the killer is a girl. This makes sense in light of the Twilight Syndrome game.

I agree that Ibuki and Mikan are probably innocent too. Mikan said something strange, which gives me pause ("I won't let you get away this time!!"). Possible candidate for Kirakira? The fact is, though, that we've been sitting at the diner since 3:00, and they came, together at 3:30 still in their civvies, with no blood on them. For either of them to have done it, they would have had to do it way in advance (prior to 3:00 at the least), come back to change, and then meet up with their friend before we see them at 3:30. Not impossible, but making the trek there and back is time consuming, and risky. Like with the others, if the murder isn't significantly before 3:00, Ibuki and Mikan are innocent.

This leaves us with Sonia, Peko, and Nanami. Realistically any of the three could have done it. I'll break them down according to what I think is likely, but based on what we've got so far, my money is one of these girls.

Nanami arrives a little after we meet up with Ibuki and Mikan but we can't say exactly how long. She claims she's early and expected to be the first there (suspicious), she changed in her swimsuit because bringing her normal clothes would be a "disaster" (suspicious), and she has a backpack with currently unknown/unverified contents (suspicious). She's dry, but if there had been any blood spatter, it could have been on her clothes. For all we know, the clothes could be in her bag, or hidden elsewhere. While she came at a similar time to Ibuki and Mikan, those two have each other as an alibi, whereas we don't have an alibi for Nanami's location. She is a suspect.

I don't find her likely to be the killer, but I would not be surprised. Things to her credit: Her outburst earlier about stopping mutual killing seemed sincere (of course, she could just be a good actor), she seemed the most concerned about others playing the game (as it would give them a "motive to kill") and even caught Hinata in the act and gave him a concerned "be careful" kind of look. It's all moot if it's all an act, but there's some consistency to it, and she's been our investigation assistant, and, (if it isn't obvious by now) potential love interest for a little while now, so I'm inclined to give her points on her character (and yes, I'm aware of case 1 in DR1 and how well "potential love interest" holds up when it becomes :black101: o'clock).

This is all a bit weak reasoning, so I'll add my meta-game thinking which, to me, makes her less likely to be the killer:
1) SHE'S NOT CRAZY OR DUMB. I'm not saying smart, sane people can't kill. I'm saying if she did kill, we have no smart, sane people LEFT ('sides Hinata). Who would help give us info at the trial? Nagito dove off the deep end so hard he left a crater, Togami is dead, Koizumi was normal and just died. Akane, Sonia, Souda, Nidai, Ibuki, Mikan, and Saionji are all too absent-minded or outright dumb. Kuzuryuu doesn't want to help. Who's left? Gundam is weird, but I suppose he's smart enough to help when not trying to activate his Shinigami mode. Peko is relatively normal, but I'm not sure we've had much input from her before. Games like this need to feed players clues through dialogue. That's not a bad thing. Most people don't get an entire forum analyzing every detail, and they'll need to be nudged the right way. If Nanami is gone, we don't really have anyone qualified to do that.
2) Hope shards. Part of the game is still building up hope in contrast to continuing the mutual killings. So far, Hinata is onboard the hope train, and so is Nanami, and *technically* Nagito. They need a majority, if not a unanimous agreement in order to stop the killings. They keep killing character who can lead (like Togami), and pretty soon everyone will be despair-ridden.

Again, Nanami is still suspect, but she's not my prime suspect.

Peko is an obvious candidate. 3 hours of alleged swimming in which we have no one to hold her accountable for where she was. If there was blood, the swim would've washed it off. She's had extensive practice with wooden weapons. Whether the bat or her sword is the murder weapon, she easily had the means to carry out the kill. Right now, that's all we have. No idea if she played the game, no idea if the game would've affected her. No idea is she is the serial killer, or even knows of Kirakira. Peko is a suspect.

For me, Peko is just too obvious right now. DR likes to twist the cases, sometimes quite a bit. If the other characters start pointing fingers at someone else, and Peko slides by unnoticed, then she might be the killer. If she becomes prime suspect for the group, it probably isn't her. Yeah, it's more meta-gaming, but we have too little to go on with her.

Lastly is Sonia. She was the one who planned the trip (huge red flag), meaning she knows (roughly) when everyone will arrive. She has a fascination with serial killers and is the one who told us about Kirakira, making her the one most likely to don the mask. While she might normally look obvious and distinguishable from the other girls, in a wetsuit (which is easy to wash off) and a mask, all she would have to do is hide her hair to make her anonymous. We don't know if she played the game, but considering she likes serial killers, a game about a killing might be up her alley. She was one of the last to arrive, and we don't necessarily know from which direction, so she could've had plenty of time. She is a suspect.

Given what we know, Sonia is my prime suspect. The mask might be a bit obvious, but a typical player might have forgotten all about Kirakira by now, and the group definitely will have (if they knew about it at all). There's nothing (yet) to especially implicate her, but she's simply too nice, and her idea to plan this beach trip is too suspicious. We still have to see the investigation (time of death is especially important), find out the link with the Twilight Syndrome game, check out Kuzuryuu's package :heysexy:, and get lead astray by mountains of red herrings first though.

Oh, and still possible it was Kirakira (a third party entirely), or that Koizumi was trying to plan the murder and got outmurdered. We've sorta had both before, but they're both still possible, though not likely.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Considering the first game had us deal with a serial killer as a classmate. Wouldn't it be just as possible that Hinata this time around was actually Kirakira? He has no memory at all of his talent and we know he did at least something questionable to get into the school, though we do not know what it is. I'm only saying because if we need someone in the class to be this person ala Genocider Syo, it makes sense to me that it would be the main character who has lost more memory, if there is a memory wipe, than the other classmates.

I'm not saying that Hinata was the killer this time. I'm still leaning more on Peko considering that she was most likely the closest around there. But I think to have a main character, in this game, with amnesia like this will need to be more of a twist than Kirigiri's in the previous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Hinata being Kirakira would be kind of terrible though. At least if the game also keeps him a good guy.
The game is all about killing being a rather horrible act (wimps), so horrible that the characters even feel bad when one of their classmates who has killed someone gets killed themselves. Having the hero be someone who has killed would almost require him to suffer some kind of punishment. I don't see how the game can have had him kill people in the past and keep him as a hero.

• Locked thread