Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This week in LiberalLogic101! (and part of last week!)

Rich black people are bad!

Racist rich white people are good!

Liberals are dumb and don't know the constitution!

Abortion bad, therefor IRS should die!

Tears!

Tears!

TEARS!

Oh god the tears I love it I am bathing in them!

I love it when the republicans have a bad week and they throw temper tantrums. The tears are always so delicious. :allears:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Liberals are dumb and don't know the constitution!

Fair enough LL guy it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" not technically "separation of church and state" even though Jefferson specifically said it. I'm sure you're that picky with certain other parts of the Bill of Rights. Also the Treaty of Tripoli states "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" but I'm sure by 1797 they were all FINOs (Founders in Name Only).

I know getting irritated by the Liberal Logic 101 stuff is stupid since absolutely no thought or reason goes into them but I get to hear this same stuff from people I know so it's unbelievably frustrating regardless.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 28, 2013

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Deen's racial slurs were from a whopping 3 years ago.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Tears!

Tears!

Did the Founders invision it or envision it? Were they against an elite few or the populist mob? Make up your mind, LL101!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

Deen's racial slurs were from a whopping 3 years ago.

Has it been confirmed that Deen actually said any of those things, or did she just admit to using the n-word in the past (no poo poo she's a middle aged rural southern white woman)? She stinks to heaven of racial bias, but what did she actually do?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

The lower left one is the best part.

"Ruled against me in court? Must be a secret gay, then. :freep:"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Gen. Ripper posted:

I think that judge is in fact gay though. The problem is the logic of "A gay person can't rule objectively on gay marriage, but a straight person totally can!"

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ratbert90 posted:

Oh god the tears I love it I am bathing in them!

That Perry quote is loathsome. Perhaps, as a knocked-up teen, she valued her ability to chose the course of her pregnancy.

Amused to Death posted:

I think that judge is in fact gay though. The problem is the logic of "A gay person can't rule objectively on gay marriage, but a straight person totally can!"

And the same reason they flipped out over Sonya Sotomayor's comments about her life experiences adding to her insight as a jurist.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 28, 2013

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Dr Creflo A Dollar posted:

Has it been confirmed that Deen actually said any of those things, or did she just admit to using the n-word in the past (no poo poo she's a middle aged rural southern white woman)? She stinks to heaven of racial bias, but what did she actually do?

If you want to read the whole thing, you can check out a copy of the deposition here.

There's a thread in GBS dedicated to butter chat - Well of course I use the n-word: An exploration of butter

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gen. Ripper posted:

"We're a Republic not a Democracy, checkmake :smugdog:"

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Dr Creflo A Dollar posted:

The quote itself is from 2007 about planning her brother's wedding:

quote:

“Well what I would really like is a bunch of little niggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around, Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

But that's just the starting point, the bigger story that her defenders like to conveniently ignore is that employees have been coming out of the woodwork with stories of racism and sexual harassment at the chain of restaurants she owns.

E:fb, but I'll leave the quote here because everyone needs to see it, it isn't like she just said the word at some point, this is straight up "I want to have black servants" poo poo.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Radish posted:

"We're a Republic not a Democracy, checkmake :smugdog:"

Can someone explain to me the point of the whole :freep: Republic not a Democracy :freep: nonsense is? It seems like it works against their portrayal of the beginning of the US as it shows that small guberment was created to concentrate power under the ruling wealthy colonists.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

Can someone explain to me the point of the whole :freep: Republic not a Democracy :freep: nonsense is? It seems like it works against their portrayal of the beginning of the US as it shows that small guberment was created to concentrate power under the ruling wealthy colonists.

Easy:

Courts did something you like? Republic libtard :smug:
Courts did something you dislike? Democracy is dead! :freep:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

The Dark One posted:

That Perry quote is loathsome. Perhaps, as a knocked-up teen, she valued her ability to chose the course of her pregnancy.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that pro-lifers are just really phenomenally dishonest, and one great example of that is that they paint the entire pro-choice movement as "pro-abortion," as though having the choice to carry the fetus to term and raise the resulting child isn't even on the table.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Guilty Spork posted:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that pro-lifers are just really phenomenally dishonest, and one great example of that is that they paint the entire pro-choice movement as "pro-abortion," as though having the choice to carry the fetus to term and raise the resulting child isn't even on the table.

It's not dishonest at all! I want everybody to get gay abortions paid for by sorosbucks! :smith:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Wait, these babies are being born alive and then murdered? Excuse me?

e: I also remember the makeshift weapons and farm equipment the savage liberal mob brought in with them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ferroque posted:

Wait, these babies are being born alive and then murdered? Excuse me?

Gosnell, Gosnell, GOSNELL GOSNELL GOSNELL. Also a screaming maniacal mob would be democracy bud.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

It's funny how the last panel is unintentionally the rebuttal to the rest of that mess. Like if they just left it at the Supreme Court image I think the biggest counter argument would be that the reason we have a Supreme Court that can strike down poo poo like DOMA is because the Founding Fathers envisioned a system with these exact types of checks and balances.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

zoux posted:

Gosnell, Gosnell, GOSNELL GOSNELL GOSNELL. Also a screaming maniacal mob would be democracy bud.

It cracks me up that they use Gosnell as the hallmark of what happens in all abortion clinics, even though he was tried and imprisoned for doing it. It's as bad as FOX latching on to the New Black Panthers standing outside one polling station in Philly and having them try to spin it into some nationwide voter intimidation campaign.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Gosnell is exactly what will happen to abortion clinics if you shut down the legitimate clinics.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Dark One posted:

Rick Perry is loathsome. Everything he does makes total sense once you grasp that.

The fact that he thinks little of women's agency isn't surprising, and that he'd make it so personal isn't a surprise either, and that he is going to get away with it is also not a surprise. Hell, that LL101 thinks it's a compliment instead of the vicious personal attack it really is is also not a surprise. What is surprising is that Perry is destroying any hope he ever had of another attempt at a national office with it.

EDIT: Eh, maybe it's not that surprising; Perry probably can't succeed outside dysfunctional Texas politics, but oh I'd love to see him try and fail again and again.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Sir Rolo posted:

Gosnell is exactly what will happen to abortion clinics if you shut down the legitimate clinics.
Acting as though making abortion illegal on paper will magically make it go away seems to be a key part of their strategy. Just like making cannabis illegal made it vanish overnight, right?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guilty Spork posted:

Acting as though making abortion illegal on paper will magically make it go away seems to be a key part of their strategy. Just like making cannabis illegal made it vanish overnight, right?
I imagine they think abortion is exclusively a modern thing, something that didn't exist before the insidious influence of feminism.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Guilty Spork posted:

Yeah but gun control doesn't work and criminals will have free reign over guns and :suicide:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ratbert90 posted:

Easy:

Which is why it's hilarious seeing two LL's in a row where one says "Democracy is just mob rule, and that's bad!" and the other says "What are these activists judges doing, a majority of voters approved!"

Ferroque posted:

Yeah but gun control doesn't work and criminals will have free reign over guns and :suicide:

"But you see, banning abortion will only hurt murderers, who cares about them, but banning guns hurts innocent citizens who have done nothing wrong." :smug:

Pretty much guarantee that would be their response.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Easy:

Pretty much. Freeper types love to talk about how this is a republic not a democracy when their terrible, unpopular ideas are enacted by politicians. However when one gets shut down by the courts or undone by another law it's the evil government somehow using technicalities (a.k.a the Constitution) to undo democracy.

Notice how there's no Liberal Logic macro crying that the courts overturned democracy regarding the VRA a day earlier.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LanceKing2200 posted:

But that's just the starting point, the bigger story that her defenders like to conveniently ignore is that employees have been coming out of the woodwork with stories of racism and sexual harassment at the chain of restaurants she owns.

E:fb, but I'll leave the quote here because everyone needs to see it, it isn't like she just said the word at some point, this is straight up "I want to have black servants" poo poo.

The defense I've heard about the employees thing is "oh, they're just trying to blackmail her for a payout, I've worked in the restaurant industry so mark my words"

My favorite part about the whole thing though is what she says to defend herself in the deposition:

"Lawyer: Is there any possibility, in your mind, that you slipped and used the word “n----r”?
Deen: No, because that’s not what these men were. They were professional black men doing a fabulous job."

I mean, right there, in the deposition, she's saying, in essence "there's a time and a place to call black people n-words, and this was not that time, so no, I didn't say it then. If i did think that they were a pack of lazy n-words then maybe, but definitely not in this instance because that's not what those men were". Maybe I'm just putting words in her mouth, but...

I saw something truly astounding in a facebook comment though:

umm....

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guilty Spork posted:

I can't tell if its them being that dishonest, or the overuse of a false equivalency between the two groups, mixed with their seeing everything in absolutes, means they really do believe that poo poo.

You remember that Simpsons episode where Kang and Kodos impersonate Bill Clinton and Bob Dole? The two sides of the abortion debate were framed as "everyone gets an abortion" and "No abortions for anyone". Kodos was shown as coming up with a brilliant move by saying "Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others". The debate was framed so that only those who want it can have abortions, is not the position of the pro-choice crowd.

Ferroque posted:

Despite the fact that, if assault weapons had their prices jacked up by the margin marijuana and cocaine are, just per weight, they'd cost somewhere north of $90,000 for a QBZ-95.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
Why is everyone saying "well of course she used the N-word, she's a white woman from the South"? I know a lot of white ladies her age from the south and they don't use racial slurs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pug wearing a hat posted:

Why is everyone saying "well of course she used the N-word, she's a white woman from the South"? I know a lot of white ladies her age from the south and they don't use racial slurs.

Because their racist shitheads also?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Tears!

I love it when the republicans have a bad week and they throw temper tantrums. The tears are always so delicious. :allears:

This one's actually correct for all the wrong reasons. This country's been going to hell ever since the landless peasants got the vote! :freep:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Radish posted:

Notice how there's no Liberal Logic macro crying that the courts overturned democracy regarding the VRA a day earlier.

No because that ruling was just Common Sense!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised after Wendy's amazing filibuster, LL 101 didn't do a "When a liberal does a filibuster, they get praised. When a CONSERVATIVE does a filibuster, they get booed. Nice hypocrisy, libtards :smug: " because that's pretty much in line with what he does.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

seiferguy posted:

I'm surprised after Wendy's amazing filibuster, LL 101 didn't do a "When a liberal does a filibuster, they get praised. When a CONSERVATIVE does a filibuster, they get booed. Nice hypocrisy, libtards :smug: " because that's pretty much in line with what he does.
Needed to fulfill his daily "gently caress those drat uppity peasants!" quota first.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

tek79 posted:

It's funny how the last panel is unintentionally the rebuttal to the rest of that mess. Like if they just left it at the Supreme Court image I think the biggest counter argument would be that the reason we have a Supreme Court that can strike down poo poo like DOMA is because the Founding Fathers envisioned a system with these exact types of checks and balances.

The Supreme Court has been around for as long as the country, so, yeah. That worked pretty much as intended.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was talking with a coworker about the whole Paula Deen thing and I mentioned the "that was 30 years ago" bit when both of us realized that 30 years ago was the goddamn 1980s when it sure as hell wasn't okay to be racist.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Mitchicon posted:

Handwaving away criticism of GOP administrations/Congresses for going against popular will.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

I was talking with a coworker about the whole Paula Deen thing and I mentioned the "that was 30 years ago" bit when both of us realized that 30 years ago was the goddamn 1980s when it sure as hell wasn't okay to be racist.

As mentioned before, the 30-years ago thing is masking the bigger issue, which was her restaurant racially discriminating against black workers, by forcing them use the back door and whatnot. And that happened in 2007.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The Supreme Court has been around for as long as the country, so, yeah. That worked pretty much as intended.

It's been a while since high school civics class, but Wasn't one of the first things the Supreme Court did was rule on the meaning of part of the Constitution against one of the guys who wrote it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Radish posted:

It's been a while since high school civics class, but Wasn't one of the first things the Supreme Court did was rule on the meaning of part of the Constitution against one of the guys who wrote it?

Yes, as a matter of fact. It also established the Court's power of judicial review and defined the boundaries between the executive and judicial branches.