Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm sick of these boring-rear end blow to the head deaths. The last game had like four of them!! Sheesh.

:goonsay: Well when you hit someone's head you have a 10% chance of getting a critical hit. So going for the head is the best strategy when it comes to murdering anime high schoolers. It usually only takes one thwack to do the job since blunt objects are super effective against skulls.

JT Jag posted:

Everything is murder but disease? How would you apply that for some things? Like, what if someone just accidentally slips off a ladder and breaks their neck? Is the guy who brought the ladder from the supermarket deemed the murderer?
No the one's who would be responsible would be the capitalist pig swines who maintain the system which caused that person's death. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
We-ell. We don't know the murder weapon. We can't exonerate people for height reasons until we know the murder weapon, because it could be long. It could even be one of Peko's wooden fighting things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TKMobile posted:

Akane and Nidai can corroborate each other's whereabouts; if she were lying, all Nidai has to do is sound confused when asked about the head wound and it would be fairly damning.

Nidai's potentially a suspect. All we know is that he and Akane fought when she was on the way to the diner. She arrived late, remember, so there's a bit of time and we don't know where exactly they had their fight.

xxlicious posted:

Couldn't they have gone to the beach house and maybe hid there before we arrived at the diner?

On this note, it seems everyone's missed what's probably a clue - the walk-in closet at the back of the room is open. Which is strange for a second reason, due to the way Koizumi appears to have fallen.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Spatula City posted:

We-ell. We don't know the murder weapon.

The baseball bat covered in blood in a trail leading up to Koizumi's dead body might just be the murder weapon.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
There's blood on the bat, and enough blood on the floor to imply that it was the murder weapon and that Mahiru wasn't killed someplace else and dragged in to the beach house.

marisuga
Jun 12, 2013
I think the culprit is going to be Nidai. My reasoning is that Owari's head wound is similar to the one that killed Koizumi, and if Nidai did attack Owari I wouldn't be surprised if she just took it as him fighting her. We've also already been told that her body can handle more last time she fought Nidai which could explain why the head wound didn't kill her.

I just feel like everyone else is too obvious.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

marisuga posted:

I think the culprit is going to be Nidai. My reasoning is that Owari's head wound is similar to the one that killed Koizumi, and if Nidai did attack Owari I wouldn't be surprised if she just took it as him fighting her. We've also already been told that her body can handle more last time she fought Nidai which could explain why the head wound didn't kill her.

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. And Nidai strikes me as the type who would be tactless enough to go around the island with a bat just looking for people to crack over the head. Woops, that person didn't work, time to try someone else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spatula City posted:

We-ell. We don't know the murder weapon. We can't exonerate people for height reasons until we know the murder weapon, because it could be long. It could even be one of Peko's wooden fighting things.

Ah yes. The SHSL fighting thingwoman. That's Peko, alright.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

JT Jag posted:

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. And Nidai strikes me as the type who would be tactless enough to go around the island with a bat just looking for people to crack over the head. Woops, that person didn't work, time to try someone else.

There's still the matter of the mask, though:

Nidai doesn't strike me of the type to wear a mask like that at all, let alone to hide his identity, especially since his physique is more than enough of a give away. The alternative is that our victim was wearing that mask instead and scared the murderer into attacking. Why she would be wearing it, I have no idea, but since there's no blood splatter on the front of it there's a good possibility.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Suspicious Cook posted:

There's still the matter of the mask, though:

Nidai doesn't strike me of the type to wear a mask like that at all, let alone to hide his identity, especially since his physique is more than enough of a give away. The alternative is that our victim was wearing that mask instead and scared the murderer into attacking. Why she would be wearing it, I have no idea, but since there's no blood splatter on the front of it there's a good possibility.
Another possibility would be Saionji was wearing the mask for whatever reason and dropped it when she freaked out over finding Koizumi's body. Which would in turn explain the lack of blood on it.

Also interesting that now we have confirmation that Koizumi's body was what was blocking the door in the previous update.

BumSCL
Nov 5, 2012
Some things I noticed when comparing the scene before the murder to now.

Besides the door to the walk-in closet being open (which has already been pointed out), something appears to have been stuffed inside the trash can, although it's hard to tell what it is at this point. The entire top row of drinks are now missing as well.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Even the light coming through the windows is different. Irrelevant to the actual case, sure, but it's some nice attention to detail.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

BumSCL posted:

Some things I noticed when comparing the scene before the murder to now.

Besides the door to the walk-in closet being open (which has already been pointed out), something appears to have been stuffed inside the trash can, although it's hard to tell what it is at this point. The entire top row of drinks are now missing as well.

Water bottles for Peko?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The window is actually open in the murder scene, which is presumably a clue.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Ometeotl posted:

That window has a door handle on it. Depending on where it leads, it could potentially signify that someone opened up the door-window to enter the beach house.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Uh, I think that might have just been the door Hinata went through.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ometeotl posted:

That's the door.

e;fb

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

marisuga posted:

I feel like it would be a really weak option, though. Nidai's had almost no spotlight and I can't think of how any motive he'd have would be related to Monobear's game. It would just be too many red herrings. If they wanted a wacky 'hey you guys didn't expect this!' this might be stretching it.

The most likely option is just one of the girls - remember that we've had days to analyze the updates and people playing the game don't, so they're not as likely to immediately cast suspicious on things like headwounds and swimsuits.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I don't understand how everyone's getting that Kuzuryuu discovered the body.

Also I think the mask would have to be left by the murderer; it's right by the body. As soon as you open the door you see a definitely dead Mahiru before you walk any further.

One thing I find interesting, about the backstory and not the case, is that Monomi doesn't have her security cameras even though the security cameras are totally there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

She always wanted to be a pro wrestler. Nidai was trying to coach her on the finer points of taking a headshot from a steel chair :(

But honestly, I'm betting against Nidai being the culprit, because with the exception of possibly Akane, anybody's head would look like a watermelon at a Gallagher show when he was done with it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it is posted:

Because three people had to discover it, we can assume Souda and Saionji were #2 and #3, and he was in the area.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

it is posted:

One thing I find interesting, about the backstory and not the case, is that Monomi doesn't have her security cameras even though the security cameras are totally there.

I think you're taking it too literally - Monobear's taken control of them from her.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're taking it too literally - Monobear's taken control of them from her.

Well yeah but it suggests that Monomi was originally the one in charge of the security cameras, and Monobear was probably not. It never occurred to me that Monomi would have needed the cameras, is all.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BumSCL posted:

something appears to have been stuffed inside the trash can, although it's hard to tell what it is at this point.

It's probably gonna be bloodied clothes from the murderer.

HoneyAltoid
May 28, 2013

Pointing out that there's a small typo in this update
" Speaking of, let's now waste another second! We have no time to mess around!" should be let's not waste another second, not now.

I hadn't thought of it being Nidai but after reading everyone's theories, it lines up well with what happened. Just gotta wonder what the heck was it about that game that made him kill her, I'm actually surprised. Did it show any sort of clue that Nidai played the game before?

I wonder if things are going to lead up to being Nidai but it'll turn out to be a red herring and it's actually someone else?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CandyCrazy posted:

Uh, I think that might have just been the door Hinata went through.

That's what I was thinking, too. I might have to re-read and check, but I'm pretty sure that was where he entered.

it is posted:

As everyone's said, three people had to discover it. Considering that the murderer doesn't count and corroboration is pretty much pointless, the fact that no one else at the cafe reported the body suggests that someone who wasn't there had to have discovered it.

Could've been Kuzuryuu, could've been Nidai.

Speaking of, I imagine Nidai's absence (and likely bloody state, if Owari's injuries are any indication) will be called into question during the trial, in addition to the fact that he hit Owari over the head.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The fact that that row of bottles is missing is just pointing things closer and closer to Peko's direction.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

kidcoelacanth posted:

The fact that that row of bottles is missing is just pointing things closer and closer to Peko's direction.

The bottles could also be used to rinse off a wetsuit, though (although I really don't want Sonia to be our culprit). In a way, the fact that Pekoyama turned up at the diner dripping wet might make her less suspicious; if you'd used up all the bottles of water at the crime scene to wash yourself, and you knew the crime scene was going to be carefully investigated, wouldn't you dry off at the first opportunity?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

God dammit I just don't want it to be Sonia okay :saddowns:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
I still don't get why you'd want to wash yourself with water bottles when you have a perfectly fine seashore just outside.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Well I don't want it to be Peko :colbert:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I find it hard to believe that it would be Peko given her fondness for her sword that she carries. I think her principles would have dictated that she use that instead of the bat. I think it was Fuyuhiko that offed Miharu. Earlier we saw him walk around with that manila envelop. My guess is that it's a photo that Miharu took of Fuyuhiko playing the game. And that this meeting at the beach house was suppose to be Miharu trying to have a one on one talk with him about what he was doing before she went public with the evidence. She gets there but there's no one there. He is hiding in the closet behind and comes out with the bat. Brains her in one blow killing her. He dumps the photos into the trash bin and uses the water bottles to fill it up in hopes of destroying the evidence. He flees and sometime afterwards Saionji walks in to meet up for the get together with her mask and finds Miharu dead. She freaks out and runs away.

The part that bothers me is during the conversation that Hinata has with Fuyuhiko they get interrupted by Mikan and Ibuki. But after that no one seems to care where Fuyuhiko bums off to. Hinata doesn't even notice that he's not there anymore.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

kidcoelacanth posted:

SingerOfW posted:

Well I don't want it to be Peko :colbert:

Look, dudes, this is a murder mystery game, okay? At least six students are gonna end up murdered, and six are going to end up killing someone, even if only themselves. That's most of the cast.

Falling Stars
Mar 22, 2013

When I think about helping everyone, I feel brave!
I don't remember anyone bringing this up before, and it might just be me, but does anyone else think there's a bit of a pattern here? All of their resources are getting killed off. Togami was their leader and, if he is the same Togami, he knew about the school life of mutual killing beforehand, so he was like their inside guy who they needed to help guide them along.

Koizumi was a photographer, and while it's not too hard to just pick up a camera and snap some pictures, she knew her way around a camera and that could've come in handy with investigating bodies and stuff. Or she could have pictures of earlier events that prove to be useful later.

You can even sort of count Hanamura, since he was a chef, but it's not like they're going to starve without him there or anything.

So what I mean is, the things that they need or could really save their butts later are getting picked off. Here I'm sort of suspecting Saionji, just because she's the last person they'd think of since she loved Koizumi so much, but I'm thinking later Tsumiki or maybe Souda are going to either get murdered or become a murderer, since they have the most useful and practical abilities. But I could also be totally wrong about this and it might just be a dumb coincidence, maybe not even that.

unwnd
Apr 29, 2013

Revolver Bunker posted:

I think it was Fuyuhiko that offed Miharu. Earlier we saw him walk around with that manila envelop. My guess is that it's a photo that Miharu took of Fuyuhiko playing the game. And that this meeting at the beach house was suppose to be Miharu trying to have a one on one talk with him about what he was doing before she went public with the evidence. She gets there but there's no one there. He is hiding in the closet behind and comes out with the bat. Brains her in one blow killing her. He dumps the photos into the trash bin and uses the water bottles to fill it up in hopes of destroying the evidence. He flees and sometime afterwards Saionji walks in to meet up for the get together with her mask and finds Miharu dead. She freaks out and runs away.

Thing is, though, we would have seen Mahiru go past the diner after Kuzuryuu did - I don't think there's another way to get there except for swimming, as if there was, it'd destroy a lot of speculation so far. Then again, it's not like the people in the diner noticed the three girls wandering in on their own, so I suppose it's plausible that they may have missed someone. I'd imagine that the chance of them running into one of the aforementioned girls is likely though, so this probably isn't the case. We also didn't see Saionji go past for the first time so I'd probably say that her and Mahiru were there before Souda and Hinata got to the diner.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Revolver Bunker posted:

I think it was Fuyuhiko that offed Miharu. Earlier we saw him walk around with that manila envelop. My guess is that it's a photo that Miharu took of Fuyuhiko playing the game. And that this meeting at the beach house was suppose to be Miharu trying to have a one on one talk with him about what he was doing before she went public with the evidence.

I find this hard to believe, because I see no reason for Kuzuryuu to care that much about whether someone saw him playing the game. Hasn't he already freely expressed (regardless of whether he really would do it) that he's willing to kill people? That's a lot worse than merely being seen playing the game. Photos would need to show something more than that in order for them to be his motive. Mahiru would already know that Kuzuryuu would most likely say something to the effect of "So you can prove I played it, so what?". Which is basically what he did with Hinata when he reacted with "Well, what are you going to do about that?!", essentially admitting that he played the game. Kuzuryuu did become very defensive when Hinata brought up the topic, but it wasn't in a manner indicating an intense need to cover up playing the game, more that he resented the feeling of being interrogated for acting on his own.

For all that he's a SHSL Gangster, Kuzuryuu's threats seem empty right now, and he's mostly coming over as somebody very, very frightened.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My personal theory is that:
1) The culprit is the real Kirakira. (My money's on either Sonia or Pekoyama.)
2) If this is true, then Koizumi was murdered because she was in truth as serial killer.
3) If Koizumi was a killer, then she was most likely responsible for the killings in the arcade game.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 29, 2013

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Van Dine posted:

For all that he's a SHSL Gangster, Kuzuryuu's threats seem empty right now, and he's mostly coming over as somebody very, very frightened.

That's why I don't think he's the murderer.

While I think he could totally kill Mahiru over photos of him playing the game, that's because I think he's panicking right now and in a mood to make really stupid regrettable mistakes. No, the reason I don't think he killed Mahiru is because the crime screams 'premeditation' all over it, what with the creepy mask and getting her off somewhere convenient and all, and Babyface here is not really in a state of mind to pull off a professional-looking premeditated murder like this. Something like this seems more like Sonia's or Nanami's balliwick- very methodical and clean. Maybe Pekoyama, but she seems more of a hot-blooded type.

Also, I think if Kyuzuryuu's gonna kill someone, he'd do it with a knife. He just strikes me as the kind of teenager that habitually carries around a butterfly knife or switchblade all the time because he feels insecure.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Have you considered that it is the other way around, and it was Kuzuruyuu who was blackmailing Mahiru? Think of the game, it could be that those photos show that Mahiru was somewhere where she was not supposed to be, taking pictures, pictures she kept to herself instead of going to the police.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Personally, I'm going to go with the theory of Koizumi hitting herself on the head with the bat because she was so sick of having a bratty kid following her around everywhere. Being asked to put a mask on was the final straw. Case closed. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseFace
Jun 16, 2013
Assuming that Monobear isn't lying in his file (He has no reason to, after all) we know that Koizumi was killed by a strike to the head. But would a blunt force blow like that produce that much blood? It's not just pooled underneath her, it's everywhere. It's spattered way out in front of her and smeared on the door. To be fair, it might just be artistic license and it's been an hour since she was killed, but for being hit over the head, it just seems like an excessive amount of blood.

• Locked thread