Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Babe Magnet posted:

My favorite thing about the WotR/C:MW split is that, for the longest time, I had both threads bookmarked because I was interested in them both (I played the WotR Beta).

For the longest time, Chivalry would get upwards a hundred new posts a day, while the WotR thread couldn't break 50 in a week and half of those posts were "No but the game is really good guys!" and maybe 3 or 4 regulars posted for more than a week at a time.

That's because the people in the Chiv thread were having fun with the game while the WotR thread was desperately trying to either forget the game or convincing themselves it wasn't a waste of money. Launch for WotR was... rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I'm loving the poo poo out of this game.

The other day I was in a Duel server, on that bell-tower type map, two entrances and the pillar in the middle, columns ringing the edge? I can't remember the name. Anyway, I was a Vanguard v. a Knight, he had a flail and I had smoke bombs. I threw a bomb to start, at the center of the map, and ran forward fists blazing (Because I do stuff like that.)
He got a good smack in, but knocked me against the center column. I had full stamina and I was right up in his face, so I just started kicking, and kicking, and kicking, and kicked that motherfucker right through a gap in the columns and then finally, off the tower.

Then I hit X-X-2.

I loving love this game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oh man the polehammer is awesome now. It is the most satisfying weapon of them all now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I was going to whine about the Messer being buffed because it was basically a wallhack even as it was, but I'm not sure what the ramifications will be for it being changed from SwingBlunt to Swing. Won't that make it less effective against Vanguards and Knights?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait, they made polehammer worth a drat? Well, that's amazing news. It is by far my favorite vanguard weapon.

I don't even play Man-at-Arms and I feel bad about the dodge nerfs. I thought half of the point was being able to dodge almost on demand?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had issues with some of those bugs during the freebie. I can't wait for the next sale.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm disappointed that MaA dodge has been nerfed, but hopefully the movement speed increase should compensate for it.

Nice to see the quarterstaff get a buff, and my precious Morningstar has remained untouched. :getin:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I unlocked my final weapon (the war bow for the archer) last night, for 4 veteran helmets. Now I can finally use the quarterstaff and fire pot without feeling like I'm wasting "valuable" grind time.

The quarterstaff is so much fun when you use it properly. Nowadays the knight seems to be even more popular than the vanguard, and the QS tends to get them off guard very easily.

Everyone always complains about either archers or vanguards, but nobody ever complains about knights. gently caress knights.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man. This game is so much fun, I mean so much fun. Easily blows War of the Roses out of the park, which for me has been an exercise in utter frustration. The combat, which is after all the freaking main point, just feels so nice. When I die I understand why I died and when I hit someone I know why I hit them. WotR on the other hand is just... bad. Like, I regret spending $5 on it bad.

There is one thing I wish Chivalry had that WotR does: a better sense of progression. It's Call of Duty as gently caress, but the whole perk system and plethora of weapons made me feel like I was actually getting somewhere, not to mention I got progress from pretty much every avenue in WotR. Too bad that game's combat is so hilariously bad/frustrating/janky. :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 28, 2013

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I re-discovered this game last night too. Team deathmatch is much easier to get the hang of than normal death match I found. I also found the taunts! Good times.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just beat the poo poo out of 5 attackers with the quarterstaff after setting them all on fire first, taking no damage myself. They were rank 30+ or so. drat that feels cool.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah, I love those Braveheart moments where you feel like an utter badass. Yesterday on stoneshill I was Mason and the ram was at the doors. I charged it and managed to take out 4 Agathans in about 10 seconds. Every swing of my polehammer took out someone and it was glorious.

Then I died about 8 times in a row.

Game owns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My favorite moments are when I run through a bunch of guys to hit the archers and everyone ends up behaving like soldiers in Dynasty Warriors. Swarming me slowly so they don't end up killing each other to get to me. Feels like time is slowing down.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

So why doesn't this game ever register my kill progress? In one match I got 35 freaking kills with my mace and got gently caress all to show for it. 35 kills with a goddamned Man-At-Arms. :suicide:

edit: I went over the official forums to see if I could find an answer there... never again. Never. Again. I have no idea what Torn Banner did to those forumites, but the amount of vitriol thrown around there was kind of weird.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 28, 2013

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
The latest patch has a bunch of issues and that's one of them. Try playing on an official server instead, see if that keeps track of your kills.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It was on an official server. I'll just shelve the game till they fix its issues.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It's a server issue, not in the sense of unofficial versus official, but "some are broken" and "some are not".

Something causes the stat tracking on the servers to break surprisingly easily, and it stays broken until the host does some voodoo. The only option on the player's end to fix it is to leave the broken server and try other servers at random until they find one where the stat tracking is working.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 28, 2013

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I played this with a bunch of my co-workers today, and it was incredible. But is there really no easy way to host a game? We wanted to set up our own LAN game, but it doesn't even look like there's an option to host at all. The HOST GAME button just...starts a private botmatch.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I haven't played since the duel server patch but it's nice to know I still got it, grabbing top team score while tking all I want. :angel: I dunno what the hell happened to my beloved halberd but the maul and polehammer fills that void in my heart quite nicely. Ain't nothing like chopping dirty masons down like cheese guy after guy with overheads.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

I played this with a bunch of my co-workers today, and it was incredible. But is there really no easy way to host a game? We wanted to set up our own LAN game, but it doesn't even look like there's an option to host at all. The HOST GAME button just...starts a private botmatch.

LAN play is definitely possible. It's strangely not built into the game by default. The official forums should have more info on what you need to do to get it working.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think wielding a javelin in combat might be a legitimately viable tactic now. You can punish the gently caress out of lmb vanguards who are just trashing around randomly, and still be ready to stab anyone who comes too close. The only real problem is that you'll die if someone looks at you funny. But man, it's fun as gently caress to just spear a vanguard in the face right before he attacks you. I'm already at the point where people are saying "nice" every few minutes because I keep making sick 360 noscope javelin throws to people's heads from like 20 meters.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 29, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It make take fiddling around with the config files to finally get the right maps in rotation. I put a shortcut on my desktop to quickly start a server.

Just make a shortcut and put this in it.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalry_ded_server\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe" AOCFFA-Arena3_p?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -maxplayers=20 -GamePassword=<blah> -AdminPassword=<blah>"

just double click it, and there ya go. just change the map to whatever you want really.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Christ, I never played seriously as a 2H knight before but I am absolutely *wrecking* the servers as a maul or poleaxe knight. First time I ever got to be king in the Citadel level. Unfortunately my team was pretty good at that point so I spent the entire time sitting in a corner, surrounded by friendlies. So I recited the entire St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V to set the mood.

(Also, I can hit a moving target from 100 meters, but hitting a stationary one at 10 is drat near impossible)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Well, apparently I've gotten pretty good with the heavy javelin. I keep getting kicked off FFA servers when I use it. I guess stealing kills with vanguard lmbs is fine but doing it with the javelin isn't? Or maybe it's the MAAs and archers who dislike being one shotted. I don't know.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Minorkos posted:

Well, apparently I've gotten pretty good with the heavy javelin. I keep getting kicked off FFA servers when I use it. I guess stealing kills with vanguard lmbs is fine but doing it with the javelin isn't? Or maybe it's the MAAs and archers who dislike being one shotted. I don't know.

face me like a man coward archer human being :reject:

This community really is the worst. I don't think you can go a round without someone making GBS threads something racist or homophobic into the chat.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

face me like a man coward archer friend of the family kike spik human being :reject:

This community really is the worst. I don't think you can go a round without someone making GBS threads something racist or homophobic into the chat.

Fixed that for you! :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Robot Randy posted:

face me like a man coward archer human being :reject:

Not as bad as the LoL community.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Playing archer on an FFA server is almost a guaranteed kick at this point if you are half decent at it. My friend gets kicked all the time now. I haven't played for since early in the last patch, but there was a ton of whining even then. Vanguards being the biggest bitches about it. It's funny because we would do worse as archers, but then people bitch so we switch to Vanguards and basically LMB spam to the top of the boards with no complaints. FFA is a toxic environment, which is a shame because sometimes you just want to load up the game for a few minutes and cut some dudes or hit crazy shots, but no.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I don't get why archers are hated, it's not an easy class to play by any means, dodging arrows is a skill that can be learned and in FFA half of the time you'll have to melee anyway.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I'll never kick an archer because I take it as a personal challenge to run one down from 100 yards away. While laughing.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I don't get why archers are hated, it's not an easy class to play by any means, dodging arrows is a skill that can be learned and in FFA half of the time you'll have to melee anyway.

It's because people are bad at the game and think that a game called "Medieval Warfare" should be melee only. Yeah it's frustrating getting shot in the head as you're about to chop some dudes head off, but it's not the end of the world. I think a lot of it is that they take video games too seriously and treat it like serious business.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dog nougat posted:

It's because people are bad at the game and think that a game called "Medieval Warfare" should be melee only. Yeah it's frustrating getting shot in the head as you're about to chop some dudes head off, but it's not the end of the world. I think a lot of it is that they take video games too seriously and treat it like serious business.

This was true on the first day it released and will probably always be true. The only thing that's remained a total constant in this game is that if you act whimsical on the game you are guaranteed to garner tons of hatred. My current favorite gimmick is going into servers and bark orders that are culturally from Counterstrike or Modern Warfare. "UMBRELLA NINER, THIS IS UMBRELLA LEADER, LITTLE ZACK IS IN THE TREES. I REPEAT, LITTLE ZACK IS IN THE TREES."

Then if people ask you what the gently caress you're doing just yell at them for being insubordinate and order them to 'fall in line, soldier'. Bonus points if you do this while having a terrible k/d ratio. Every serious business player on the server will blow a brain circuit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just go around emoting "No!" every second of the game.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I just go around emoting "No!" every second of the game.

I ran across a player who, after he brutally murdered you, would scream "No!" at your corpse. He was the best player.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was fighting a maul knight on a duel server once and he kept calling me a "bitch" and a "pussy" because he would swing and then I would run in and knife the gently caress out of him once or twice and then run out of range (I play archer exclusively on duel servers). Because what I am supposed to do is just stand there and get hit by a maul, yes.

Also this other maximum coolguy just ran around throwing himself off the level whenever he faced me because "he doesn't duel pussy archers".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

I was fighting a maul knight on a duel server once and he kept calling me a "bitch" and a "pussy" because he would swing and then I would run in and knife the gently caress out of him once or twice and then run out of range (I play archer exclusively on duel servers). Because what I am supposed to do is just stand there and get hit by a maul, yes.

Also this other maximum coolguy just ran around throwing himself off the level whenever he faced me because "he doesn't duel pussy archers".

Versus the very manliest of players, who run around in five inches of steel plate.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

it's not an easy class to play by any means

Have you played since the patch? Give the Heavy X-Bow a spin.

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I love playing archer on duel servers. It's pretty much one free crossbow shot, then go to town with the cudgel.

While spamming emotes :getin:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I have a confession; sometimes I like to play as an archer in team modes and shoot recklessly into clumps of battle. I make sure I hold the middle mouse button so I can see the arrow just thwunk into the back of an ally's head.

It's me, I'm the archer you're envisioning when you press f on an innocent archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just started playing it today, took about an hour to go from "oh god why am I dying all the time" to leading the pub servers I was playing on. :tipshat:
Favorite class/weapon so far is van with a bardiche, I get to run screaming at terrified archers and overhead their limbs off!

Would love to play with some goons, joined the group, lets fighting now.

• Locked thread