Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Is that Bushido mod any fun, and perhaps more importantly, does anyone actually play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

After playing the new patch for a bit, I can safely say that there's not much point playing the MAA unless you want to dick around with the new quarter staff. Without the ability to dodge and attack at the same time you're just a weaker and flimsier Knight.

The only reason why the MAA was viable in the first place was because you would be able to dodge forward and hit them in a blind spot, and even then, that only worked occasionally if you're fighting someone above level 20. The speed increase just makes it so if things go south, you might be able to get away from knights and vanguards, instead of just dying no matter what. Just play Vanguard and Knight.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I have still seen MAA's leading the kill counts. They still give me trouble as a Vanguard as well.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I like to tell people I am playing with a Wii controller.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I have still seen MAA's leading the kill counts. They still give me trouble as a Vanguard as well.

Yeah, if they dance out of the charge and stay behind me, I'm pretty much hosed.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Update: Currently banned on 3 servers for javelining. I've had to play on higher ping servers and enjoy the laggy hit detection.

You can do some matrix bullshit with the javelin. Since most of your opponents will be carrying shields, either to test out the shield buffs or they're just doing it out of spite for you, there is a clever trick you can do to work around them. As you run towards a shield-wielding enemy, prepare your throwing spear. Keep it up until you're basically at melee range. Then move to the opponents right side (as in, the side that doesn't have a shield) and throw an arrow right into their face. You can also jump, but it's a bit harder to land the javelin if you do that. Oh, and if your opponent isn't wielding a shield, you can do the same thing except without the whole turning to the side thing. People seem to get upset when they get a javelin thrown into their face from point blank range.

Sadly there appears to be a bug that if you get hit while in throw recovery, the recovery time resets and you can be hit again and again until you die. I'm pretty sure that's a bug.

I've begun looking upwards instinctively when I'm being hit, and evading attacks that way. A while ago a some guy with a spear tried to stab me in the face, so I ducked and looked upwards to evade it. I was actually able to see the spearhead like 2 inches in front of me. It was pretty cool.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Jav/heavy jav is the best for loving poo poo up. For whatever reason people just don't expect archers to be so aggressive and pay the price for it. Then once I'm out of javs, I go to town with the shortsword. I should really rebind stab to M1 the next time I play.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Robot Randy posted:

Jav/heavy jav is the best for loving poo poo up. For whatever reason people just don't expect archers to be so aggressive and pay the price for it. Then once I'm out of javs, I go to town with the shortsword. I should really rebind stab to M1 the next time I play.

This is really it. That's what can get you kicked, being aggressive. Even in this thread you see a lot of people talking about how they like to run down seemingly helpless archers. It is a very rude awakening for people when the archer they are charging gives zero fucks and ruins their day with barely a scratch because they know how to play the game.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I don't know whether to be surprised or not that goons are the type of players that enjoy bringing sniper rifles to a melee combat game. Regardless, you are in plentiful company - with the massive buff to archers and movespeed nerf to all other classes, its common for servers to be > 50% snipers post-patch.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

After playing the new patch for a bit, I can safely say that there's not much point playing the MAA unless you want to dick around with the new quarter staff. Without the ability to dodge and attack at the same time you're just a weaker and flimsier Knight.

The only reason why the MAA was viable in the first place was because you would be able to dodge forward and hit them in a blind spot, and even then, that only worked occasionally if you're fighting someone above level 20. The speed increase just makes it so if things go south, you might be able to get away from knights and vanguards, instead of just dying no matter what. Just play Vanguard and Knight.

It's always difficult adjusting to a new patch, so I find the idea of MAA being pointless difficult to believe.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, this, I played the Darkforest TO map earlier today as Man-At-Arms w/ Norse Sword on Agatha's side. I lead the scoreboard for at least half the match, but the whole team played very well, one of the best defences I've seen on that map, I joined right as Mason broke through the first gate and we stopped them before dropping the cart in the waters.

I was zipping around enemies, fending off three at a time, taking hits at them, I felt like the motherfucking Batman. :black101:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ess posted:

It's always difficult adjusting to a new patch, so I find the idea of MAA being pointless difficult to believe.

You're probably right. I also played Vanguard for a bit but it was just so much easier to play than the MAA. I'm just bitter about my favorite class repeated nerfs. :(

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
So I've been reading that this game had some serious balance and hit detection problems, but at the same time it's on sale and as someone who loves abusing vocals in games being able to constantly scream like a madman sounds hilarious.

Has the balance gotten to a tolerable level by now?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
MaA is pretty much completely dependent on how capricious the lag is in the MaA's favor. I've seen plenty of scoreboard-topping MaAs, but it's never that they're owning up with a really good strategy or something, it's that they're lagging around in a way that makes it really difficult for people to deal with them. I've done this myself a ton, I'll get all up in someone's business with a quick dodge and do the retarded mace-hug nonsense where you're impossible to block if you're pressing your junk on a guy, or I'll bait out a swing and dodge backward then forward again. This move can be a complete coin flip to 'dodging into the tip of a dude's sword' and 'dodging into the tip of a dude's sword but not having it matter because :lol:'. Alternately it can get you in just in time you utterly fail to disrupt the combo and get your dick chopped off by a Messer or a Greatsword, or you could get the frame-perfect hit in that disrupts the combo! There's really no way to know because the game doesn't handle latency that fine-grained!

The most telling thing is that if you roll into a server and see some hugely badass MaA one day, chances are fantastic that the next time you run into him he'll be 2/3rds the way down the scoreboard. He didn't suddenly suck, he didn't suddenly run into people who see through time or anything. The lag just isn't coming up in his favor that day. The MaA just isn't a class that's been thought through very well from a strategic perspective, it seems like they wanted a melee skirmisher, but the Archer with Javelins has ALWAYS done this better, and that's only more obvious since the last patch with heavy javs buffed up. The MaA can't consistently stick in the melee game as well as a Vanguard or Knight, and the nature of the objectives we hit in Team Objectives means that they're not significantly better at getting poo poo done there either, with a couple notable exceptions (peasants on Stoneshill comes to mind). So what's the MaA supposed to DO, exactly? What's his place on the battlefield? The Vanguard is supposed to be a front line attacker, that's obvious. The Knight is supposed to be a ground-holder, that's obvious. Archers are skirmish and support that gently caress up groups of dudes or make an assault tricky, that's again obvious. The MaA seems to kinda want to be a hit and run/harasser sort of dude, but he's not at all equipped to be good at that. We should give him the Javelins as his secondary weapon, or more than one fire pot, or something to let him actually stress out some dudes clumping up. The best he's got right now is the throwing knives for that, and those are still kinda assy.

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

So I've been reading that this game had some serious balance and hit detection problems, but at the same time it's on sale and as someone who loves abusing vocals in games being able to constantly scream like a madman sounds hilarious.

The balance is overall better, but it's still not so much better that I'd answer you with an unqualified 'yes'. I know I just finished bitching about the MaA, but he really used to be even worse. The Vanguard is the 'omg noob toob' class right now, but you now at least have reasons to use more than two of his weapons, so that's cool. Knights really don't have a reason to use anything but the Maul or the Messer now, which makes them worse in my eyes but they're overall better than they were since most other classes got damage buffs and they no longer take twice as many hits as any other class to kill. Archers are generally pretty good at their jobs, the pub community just whines like crazy about them because they're all rageaholics.

If you play this game hoping for highly technical and satisfying combat, you will be disappointed. It is satisfying combat, but it's also capricious and you will hit a realistic skill ceiling pretty quickly just because latency will assfuck you at random intervals, whether by hating you or by favoring some other rear end in a top hat. If you play this game hoping to act like a total goofball, yelling up and down the battlefield and spamming emotes while you paste someone's face in, you will think this game is worth every red cent.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 30, 2013

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

This is really it. That's what can get you kicked, being aggressive. Even in this thread you see a lot of people talking about how they like to run down seemingly helpless archers. It is a very rude awakening for people when the archer they are charging gives zero fucks and ruins their day with barely a scratch because they know how to play the game.

Also, archers can be pretty drat elusive when they fight. They're not MAA level slippery, but they're still pretty fast. One way to use the heavy javelin in a fight is crouching and moving to one of the enemy's sides to strike. A lot of their attacks will miss and yours will be really hard to block. The people who fight archers are also pretty impatient, and will just keep trying to attack. It's really easy to punish them by just stabbing them again and again.

You can also just keep sprinting towards people and stabbing them. I don't know what it is about that move, but dudes tend to fail to block it.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 30, 2013

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

Just get it, it's fun and 8$. You certainly won't regret it.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I hate this last patch but it seems like the majority of players like it. It was a monstrous patch that changed the game a great deal. It was far more extensive than just tweaking damage values or what have you.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think the heavy javelin might be overpowered, actually. It can kill vanguards, MAAs and archers with only 2 hits most of the time. Knights take like 3 or 4. Oh and it's as fast as a 1h sword. Oh and it has as much reach as a claymore. And you can throw it. Really, the only bad thing about it is that you can't horizontal strike with it, which is probably why the legions of vanguard players aren't using it all the time.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Blimpkin posted:

Just get it, it's fun and 8$. You certainly won't regret it.

Blimp's right. I just bought on his recommendation, and it's honestly so much drat fun. Razing fields and a granary before attacking a castle is exactly as epic and bloody as one would think.

Also I had an epic showdown with an archer who nearly killed me. I took his head :black101:

Andenno
May 1, 2009

The patch made it so chase mode (red dot) doesn't work from the front side anymore. So it's a little harder for all classes to close the distance with an enemy between the enemy's attacks. The man at arms loses the most from this since he's the fastest and shortest range melee dude.

Still, if a little guy with a hatchet or a mace closes the distance with you, good luck spinning the necessary 90 degrees back and forth to block every one of his swings. God help you if he throws in a feint. Once you start your parry, your mouse move speed is capped and he just needs to alt swing at your back while you helplessly bang your mouse into your keyboard/slide off the desk.

E: This is also why it's hard to say if the game is "balanced." Whether you have the advantage in a fight depends on positioning, tactics, weapon combo, team composition...

Andenno fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 30, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well I ran around a little as an MAA in the wee hours of the morning today. The nerfs to dodge are baffling. I can understand reduced speed/distance, or the cool down period. But together, combined with the inability to attack during a dodge makes it completely worthless. Just giving it a cool down with no attack during would've easily been sufficient. There's almost no incentive to use the dodge. The stamina drain simply isn't worth it.

The fire pot though is pretty great now that it can actually act as an area denial weapon. There's still some weird things with it, like the fire effect clipping through the bridge on stoneshill and lighting you ablaze if you run through the tunnel.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
I am just frustrated at how badly all of the gameplay mechanic changes came together to just gently caress over the MAA most of all. MAAs get knocked back pretty far from Vanguard and Knight 2H swings, and now that he can't dodge as well or get the big chase-speed buff, he can't close gaps as well to take advantage of some dumbasses terrible LMB spam. I just get knocked backwards again most of the time when I block an attack, and can't get close to a guy.

Then I go vanguard and just kind of very easily smash people down in like 2 hits. It's just loving obnoxious how easy it is to own people with the Vanguard as opposed to the MAA, who has less health, way less reach, and does about half the amount of damage as guys with 2H weapons without actually getting a significant swing speed boost (seriously, what's up with the people that can overhead swing once every second?).

If MAA had a higher stamina regeneration rate, that might help a lot. Because it's incredibly stupid that some big dipshit wearing full plate mail can sprint in circles swinging a 10 lb and 6 foot long sword left and right for a full minute. Meanwhile, if an MAA (wearing leather/chain armour and carrying a single sword) jumps left and right a few times, suddenly he is completely exhausted and incapable of swinging a short sword more than once.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
MaA wasn't hit thaaaaat bad. Sure it's a little tougher but the key part of the class is just running around people after dodging in so the speed and accel boost work pretty well. I promise you that when you run into a good MaA he's mostly dominating because he never stops and gets and stays behind you mostly by sprinting. It took me a couple hours to get used to the change and it hasn't hurt the killing but it has hurt the dodge out of bad situations by not allowing the dodges during attacks.

On hte other hand, archery is easier now and I've fallen in love with the sling and thrusting dagger. I can fairly reliably top scoreboards with that retard combo by softening people up as they run at me then quickly overhanding them right when they try to take a swing. The key to the sling was focusing on keep the crosshairs over targets at all times since there's a delay in firing. It was working well before the patch and now it's actually good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Slappy Moose posted:

I am just frustrated at how badly all of the gameplay mechanic changes came together to just gently caress over the MAA most of all. MAAs get knocked back pretty far from Vanguard and Knight 2H swings, and now that he can't dodge as well or get the big chase-speed buff, he can't close gaps as well to take advantage of some dumbasses terrible LMB spam. I just get knocked backwards again most of the time when I block an attack, and can't get close to a guy.

Then I go vanguard and just kind of very easily smash people down in like 2 hits. It's just loving obnoxious how easy it is to own people with the Vanguard as opposed to the MAA, who has less health, way less reach, and does about half the amount of damage as guys with 2H weapons without actually getting a significant swing speed boost (seriously, what's up with the people that can overhead swing once every second?).

If MAA had a higher stamina regeneration rate, that might help a lot. Because it's incredibly stupid that some big dipshit wearing full plate mail can sprint in circles swinging a 10 lb and 6 foot long sword left and right for a full minute. Meanwhile, if an MAA (wearing leather/chain armour and carrying a single sword) jumps left and right a few times, suddenly he is completely exhausted and incapable of swinging a short sword more than once.

Vanguard lobbyists have some crazy dirt on Torn Banner devs or something.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
After doing too well vanguard for a bit I went to MAA and boy is it fun to run circles around a knight, plinking away with a hatchet until they finally make contact with a horizontal.
e: V yeah, last night I was on official lcs 10 and someone was kind of destroying with sling.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 30, 2013

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Jymmybob posted:

MaA wasn't hit thaaaaat bad. Sure it's a little tougher but the key part of the class is just running around people after dodging in so the speed and accel boost work pretty well. I promise you that when you run into a good MaA he's mostly dominating because he never stops and gets and stays behind you mostly by sprinting. It took me a couple hours to get used to the change and it hasn't hurt the killing but it has hurt the dodge out of bad situations by not allowing the dodges during attacks.

On hte other hand, archery is easier now and I've fallen in love with the sling and thrusting dagger. I can fairly reliably top scoreboards with that retard combo by softening people up as they run at me then quickly overhanding them right when they try to take a swing. The key to the sling was focusing on keep the crosshairs over targets at all times since there's a delay in firing. It was working well before the patch and now it's actually good.

I've noticed this about the sling too. I was playing FFA and some guy was like, "I'm slinging, who is with me?" I said I was, and when I spawned, I spawned next to him. We ran around the map spamming "I'm with you, brother!" slinging all manner of folk to dust. Many heads were collapsed by our pebbles.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You guys better have had the club as your secondary. :colbert:

It should be a lock in when you take the sling.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I don't have the club yet, :cry:.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Why? The little thrusting dagger is loving brutal. You just run in and go ZIP ZIP ZIP and they are dead.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The shortsword is amazing as well. Just two stabs to the chest and MaAs and Archers are down, and just 3 for Vanguards.

Best of all, it's available from the start.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Spent most of today getting all 3 sword and pikes for van, in the process I think I improved a lot. Getting the fork was harder, and I hate it. :|

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Reichstag posted:

Spent most of today getting all 3 sword and pikes for van, in the process I think I improved a lot. Getting the fork was harder, and I hate it. :|

just keep using the spear until you get the brandistock. The brandistock is great.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It feels so good to finally have a handle on combat enough that I can think about what I'm doing once more than two dudes are on me. I'm actually doing it, ma! I'm not just buttonmashing! I say this because this game has huge similarities to fighting games, more SF than FPS, and I generally have good spacing and timing in those but tend to just say 'gently caress it' and hit dem buttons.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
People who complain about this game, in-game are the worst. I swear at one point last night EVERY time this one guy was killed he would type out "bs" "pussy" or "gently caress steam sales." The entire chat window was just this guy's tears.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

People who complain about this game, in-game are the worst. I swear at one point last night EVERY time this one guy was killed he would type out "bs" "pussy" or "gently caress steam sales." The entire chat window was just this guy's tears.

You mean you don't play games online so you can be catch up on =xXx=Slayer420Boner=xXx='s philosophy on game design? We have two ears and only one mouth people. I swear they'd be really good at the game if the devs would just stop loving it up!

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
Newbie question: what are the numbers on the locked weapons? Kills needed to unlock? Rank needed?

Also, are servers usually this empty as they are at the moment? I picked the game up over the weekend (bought it earlier, just hadn't played it).
I guess the free weekend must've inflated numbers.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Has there been talk of expansions, sequels or spin-offs?

I would love to see this type of game in different settings, Feudal Japan (apparently that exists... probably should have read OP closer), Crusades, etc.

I, along with all the Hodors and Red Vipers I've seen in-game would also like to see a Game of Thrones mod, but I'm a reasonable man. I understand it would be too perfect.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 3, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Blimpkin posted:

My last game had a teammate going on for about 15 minutes because I accidentally shot him with my HCB and me going all "calm bro". When he wouldn't stop complaining, I shot him again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

WARnold posted:

Newbie question: what are the numbers on the locked weapons? Kills needed to unlock? Rank needed?

Kills needed to unlock. Keep in mind that you don't need to use the weapon immediately before the locked one, just any weapon from that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Kills needed to unlock. Keep in mind that you don't need to use the weapon immediately before the locked one, just any weapon from that line.

:aaaaa:

I can stop using the terrible second Knight's hammer? Hooray!!!

• Locked thread