Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Any games like Heroes of Might and Magic III? Not that new one that came out not too long ago.

Not iOS, but I recently got Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (with expansions up to Tribes of the East) from Good old Games and I found it to be a very fun worthy successor to HoMM3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My donkey in Blockheads died, I'm actually pretty sad.

Do we still have a Blockheads thread?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Also man I want those plushies:

LOOK AT THOSE ALPACA PLUSHIES :eyepop: I have never wanted anything more in my life except for a lot of things.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bummey posted:

LOOK AT THOSE ALPACA PLUSHIES :eyepop: I have never wanted anything more in my life except for a lot of things.

I want a plush of him hulking out.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I found this article while searching for a place to buy that plushie

quote:

Japan’s disgustingly cute ‘Alpaca Evolution’ gets a prequel

We previously wrote about the very strange, but very cute Alpaca Evolution mobile game, which has managed to attract over 5 million downloads in Japan [1]. And now a new version has been released – or rather, to be precise it’s a prequel, appropriately titled Alpaka Nii-san Begins.

words words words

Cute? More like just disgusting.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It does have events and updates, but as for depth and strategy, I have no idea. Just tried it at the suggestion of a friend. I don't know too much about the depth of TD games (I just kinda place things where I think they'll work), though it is missing the unique actives and leader skills of PAD. It only has different strengths of certain skills (knockback, slow, etc.) It is a pain in the rear end to navigate everything though.

I haven't played TD, but what I hear is that it much harder to get the best stuff than in PAD. You have to spend money for the best stuff.

Mean while in PAD it is a slot machine so you can get the best stuff by being lucky, and considering the game almost encourages you to reroll your account you basically will start with something good. I started playing yesterday and have one of the best gods in the game. And they are giving me a ton of free premium currency (4th of July event).

Edit: I have been playing DeNA's defender of texel, and while I'm having fun that is because I got nice stuff because they used to be more generous. In the current meta, you either have multiple maxed pre empt all units (which are very rare and very expensive) or buy heroes for each weekly event. I wouldn't enjoy myself if I started it yesterday.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Please don't derail this thread even further. His post was just a response to my tangent. If anything, blame me for bringing us along this path in the first place.

Anywho, does anyone know why Fantasica isn't very popular or similar in popularity as Puzzle and Dragon? I would think that a game with turret defense instead of the bejeweled like as gameplay would be easy to catch on. Is it because you can't get the best things unless you pay? I would imagine the average player doesn't really care about it.

I played it for a bit, but the events/gameplay are IAP bullshit and boring after awhile. There's only ever two types of event, and you've got to be a robot and spend money to even place in them.

Plus the card art is kind of hilariously anime with them having to keep releasing updates to censor cards after new card packs are sold, only they've realized that they've got panty shots. I pretty much quit when they released a card set of underaged girls. :barf:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Fantasica is indefensible dog poo poo, made for a cultural market totally alien to our own (asian countries who are way into these shameless cash grabs). The TD sections are also waaaaay too short and either stupidly easy or impossibly difficult depending solely on if your cards are high enough level/strength. Also IAP out the wazoo.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
It's kind of shameful how important card art is to me when it comes to these TCGs. I think the only reason I even played Guardian Cross was because it had some really cool art on some of the cards. If they could get some of that stuff into an actual card game I'd be ecstatic.

Ascension also had some pretty cool and unique art, if I remember correctly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nickoten posted:

It's kind of shameful how important card art is to me when it comes to these TCGs. I think the only reason I even played Guardian Cross was because it had some really cool art on some of the cards. If they could get some of that stuff into an actual card game I'd be ecstatic.

Ascension also had some pretty cool and unique art, if I remember correctly.

Definitely personal taste, but I hated the art in Ascension. Guardian Cross had some neat art, as did Marvel WoH. For me half the fun in those terrible card games was trading up to top tier decks without spending a dime. Assembling a top deck then getting slaughtered by hackers or having the value crushed by duping pretty much killed my enthusiasm for them. I wonder if my Legend Spideys from WoH are still worth anything. Haven't even opened it in ages.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Short Dungeon Hunter 4 (Gameloft) review. While the idea of crafting/upgrading sounds nice they take up enormous amount of time and resources. Also combat is very boring with button mashing. At least it's free.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

snowcrafta posted:

O2Jam U is my go to game for my iPad for well over 8 months now

Essentially it's a game much like DDR, Stepmania, and Guitar Hero. Notes fall to the beat, you have massive finger seizures, and hopefully you come out with a passing grade.

It's a freemium game, but it's well worth putting 10 dollars into to buy songs you want to play often (Personally I've bought 33 songs). There is an in game currency as well which can be used to unlock certain songs, typically the most difficult, and they're usually an obnoxious amount like 100,000. You earn about 200-300 per game on Hard.

It's the best music game I've been able to find, and as a veteran music gamer, it's got enough of a challenge to entertain. Well worth at least a download

Ugh, the menus run really shittily on my iPad 3rd gen, you have to be connected to the net to play, it takes a long time to download each song, and there's no audio feedback to the notes. I much prefer DJMAX Ray, Cytus, Tone Sphere, and osu!stream on iOS. It's a shame DJMAX isn't universal or widescreen because it's my personal fave.

I also prefer buying the actual song bundles as IAP, not buying consumable points. This way I'm guaranteed to restore purchases if I delete the app or play on another device...

Nice music in O2Jam at least, though.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
It's too bad that Pentavision turned into a skeleton team and it doesn't seem like we'll be getting any more RAY updates for awhile, if ever. Ah well, even if there aren't any more song packs, there's still plenty of content to keep you busy for a long time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Original_Z posted:

It's too bad that Pentavision turned into a skeleton team and it doesn't seem like we'll be getting any more RAY updates for awhile, if ever. Ah well, even if there aren't any more song packs, there's still plenty of content to keep you busy for a long time.
They're probably screwed by the widescreen requirement for app updates now.
Even if they wanted to add new songs, they might not have the resources to overhaul the UI.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bummey posted:

It's not really a Layton game. I wouldn't try and tie them together beyond the name.

It's not very Layton-y, they just stuck the name on the cover and changed some very minor stuff in-game to take place in the Laytonverse. It's still quite good though. I finished the last free case, and I'll probably buy the rest. It's a well-made AA-alike that's pretty good for the price. I will say that Alfendi Layton does carry on his father's tradition of being a perfect gentleman while throwing out occasional little gently caress-yous and dick moves.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The alpacas are blameless and innocent. It's those damnnit anime bartenders.

Wanna get all those plushies and sew them together.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The alpacas are blameless and innocent. It's those damnnit anime bartenders.

If there was a tiny smoking alpaca nothing could prevent me from finding a way to buy it. I cant figure out how to get the rare forms in the first game, and it gets really frustrating until I get that adorable smoking alpaca.. then everything seems ok. All jokes aside, I am on my forth time through and still sitting at 70 some percent, am I doing something wrong?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

loudog999 posted:

If there was a tiny smoking alpaca nothing could prevent me from finding a way to buy it. I cant figure out how to get the rare forms in the first game, and it gets really frustrating until I get that adorable smoking alpaca.. then everything seems ok. All jokes aside, I am on my forth time through and still sitting at 70 some percent, am I doing something wrong?

there's only a 10% chance to make them appear after you've met the requirements.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Corridor posted:

It's still quite good though. I finished the last free case, and I'll probably buy the rest. It's a well-made AA-alike that's pretty good for the price.
If you do, please come back and sell me on getting the rest as well. I want to like this game, it's well put together, but I found the second free case to be disappointingly linear (the first one, while understandably a hand-holding tutorial, actually had a bit more depth). The two non-guilty subjects do not make an appearance, and there is no real opportunity to accuse the wrong person and no clues that lead you even slightly astray. It seemed to be a case of 'this person is guilty, go and find the two items in this scene that prove it'. If the later cases get more involved I'd love to pick them up, though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

TACD posted:

If you do, please come back and sell me on getting the rest as well. I want to like this game, it's well put together, but I found the second free case to be disappointingly linear (the first one, while understandably a hand-holding tutorial, actually had a bit more depth). The two non-guilty subjects do not make an appearance, and there is no real opportunity to accuse the wrong person and no clues that lead you even slightly astray. It seemed to be a case of 'this person is guilty, go and find the two items in this scene that prove it'. If the later cases get more involved I'd love to pick them up, though.

Yeah, another thing I didn't like was that like AA, it sometimes tells you you're a wrong stupid idiot for trying to solve stuff ahead of time, or presenting the key evidence in a context the devs didn't quite intend. Also some bits, in the first case especially, rely on a lot of dumb niggling details that COULD be a vital important clue, or it COULD be just a weird little phrasing or typo that the localisation team missed. I managed to solve the first case totally by coincidental accident, when I thought this one thing was evidence (it wasn't) but still managed to pin the right suspect.

I do like how Alfendi is also like Layton (or Holmes) in that he seems to know who the culprit is right from the start and how to prove it, but still doesn't bother telling you anything and just lets you flail around like a retard trying to solve poo poo, while smiling patronisingly and encouraging you to 'really think about it'.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Aesis posted:

Short Dungeon Hunter 4 (Gameloft) review. While the idea of crafting/upgrading sounds nice they take up enormous amount of time and resources. Also combat is very boring with button mashing. At least it's free.

Longer review.

The drop rates on crafting materials seem to be better in the optional dungeons, but yes, I find that I've generally leveled past them by the time I can afford to draft anything besides the best weapon at a tier. Tier cluster? Not sure what to call these.

Upgrading is very slow, especially as you get higher-level, but it happens in the background and doesn't make the equipment unusable, so I don't really have that much of a problem with it. I object a lot harder to how long it takes to recover gems, since that burns a ton of inventory space while you're playing.

Combat seems mostly to be about positioning and mob management / kill order. I've been finding it a lot more interesting with my archer than with my Battlesworn; it's certainly a lot less mashy. Also, being out of melee means you spend a lot less time stun-locked, and somehow shooting enemies causes a more satisfying reaction than hitting them with a giant sword ever did.

I switched characters when my Battlesworn was level 20 or so because I ran into the bug where it forgets to add in your weapon's normal damage, which makes fights... challenging. My archer's already past that point.

The IAP is annoyingly pervasive and completely OP, but you can ignore it without too much loss. The limited potion mechanic is actually quite nice; it adds a layer of real cost to taking a lot of damage. My only real complaint about IAP is that apparently all those bonus missions to kill things with a Tier N weapon require exactly a Tier N weapon, which can only be bought with IAP.

The story is dumb, but the script and voice-acting aren't half bad. The graphics are pretty, and there's a nice variety in enemy designs and behavior as you move between areas, at least so far.

Overall, I wish it were a bit more complex and that the upgrade/whatever timers weren't so slow, but I actually find it kindof fun.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

obi_ant posted:

Any games like Heroes of Might and Magic III? Not that new one that came out not too long ago.

Palm Kingdoms 2 is the closest thing out there. It's a lot like Heroes 2, but the art isn't as rich. It's worth playing though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/palm-kingdoms-2-deluxe/id438660843?mt=8

The developer is working on a sequel that's supposedly going to have better art.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

TACD posted:

I ended up playing a bunch of Layton Brothers today. It stays pretty straight forward, but I think it's alright for being like a five dollar game.

Outside of some exceptions, most of the game is similar to the second free case. A lot of the time you only interview one suspect, and Layton's crime scene recreations mean that you never have a reason to go anywhere.

The second set of paid cases are better. They mix in some extra gimmicks that open up the game a little more. Including a case that might as well be Resident Evil puzzles.

Considering the type of stuff that happens in the Layton games, I kept hoping the game would be more out there. I can't help thinking that Luke is off having some crazy puzzle adventure the entire time this is happening.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay I realized how great the Ipad is for a quick pick up of board/misc games for 2-5 people.

I need some ideas for good (and maybe free) local multiplayer games. I'm open to card games, the classics (I picked up checkers and chess but I can't think of anything else) I'd really like anything thats good for at least two people and I can embrace anything from card games, quiz games, and board games.

I'm open to anything that's good for only two people as well.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Check out the ios board games thread. Carcasonne is my favourite for ipad play.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SynthOrange posted:

Check out the ios board games thread. Carcasonne is my favourite for ipad play.

Hot drat, I didn't even know we had that. Thanks!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Did anyone else get stumped by the end of Layton Bros. case 3? :saddowns:

I had to look up a walkthrough to figure it out. I just couldn't connect the squib in the trash to the actress.

Favorite game I've played on my iPhone in months, though. Only one I ever play for more than half an hour at a time, too. Also one of the few things that actually runs well on my old-rear end iPhone 4.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 30, 2013

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I finished Layton Brothers. The last cases are quite a bit better than the first ones. I don't think it ever gets too difficult, but it's worth buying all the cases to get to the end. At some point I'm sure you'll want to marathon the game just to find out where it goes.

I feel the translation's fine too, can't recall any really ambiguous situations. If anything the required responses are too obvious most of the time.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Reading Toucharcade forums I honestly think some people aren't understanding that some characters in the game are speaking with accents. They think it's a typo or something.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Reading Toucharcade forums I honestly think some people aren't understanding that some characters in the game are speaking with accents. They think it's a typo or something.

I thought this for literally the first case and a half, until I realized that it was only the player character who seemed to say "it were him!" a lot :downs:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Well it's hard to get accents across in text. Also, it's the loving Touch Arcade forums.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ineffiable posted:

Okay I realized how great the Ipad is for a quick pick up of board/misc games for 2-5 people.

I need some ideas for good (and maybe free) local multiplayer games. I'm open to card games, the classics (I picked up checkers and chess but I can't think of anything else) I'd really like anything thats good for at least two people and I can embrace anything from card games, quiz games, and board games.

I'm open to anything that's good for only two people as well.

Carc's been mentioned, so check out Agricola and Catan - also Le Havre and Puerto Rico, I can't remember if they do pass-n-play or not though.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I thought this for literally the first case and a half, until I realized that it was only the player character who seemed to say "it were him!" a lot :downs:

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether or not this was bothering me until I realized that Alfendi talks (and is written) without fault, and I guess that let it "click" in my head.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fallom posted:

Non-freemium games seem to be surviving ok on iOS. Hell, you might even poach some customers who play timer-based games and suddenly realize "Wait, for $5 I can build my own city on my own time without being asked to buy energy crystals every 5 minutes to keep playing?"

That might just be a dream I have, though.

Paid games seems to be working for some of the adventure games. Leisure Suit Larry is in review (at Apple) according to the publisher, and it will be a paid app.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We just threw the switch on Merchant to the Stars 1.1, it's propagating now and should be available within an hour or so.

Bug fixes:
• Fixed bug where purchasing the Stone or Wood capacity upgrades would upgrade the wrong capacity.
• Heroes are now willing to buy favored items weaker than their current equipped items.
• Ordering of heroes in Ledger will no longer change.
• Fixed crash when finishing a tutorial or help screen.
• Fixed resource stocks topping out at 1 unit below where they should.
• Fixed inconsistency with heroes' initial inventories when arriving at the shop.
• Bug fixed which limited item variety at higher levels.

Tweaks and new features:

• Hero timers greatly reduced at all levels.
• Golem acceleration system.
• Scrolls may be dismissed by tapping anywhere on their background.
• Resource costs for honing items greatly reduced.
• Store upgrades now available earlier and cost much less.
• Items offered by heroes are now influenced by their equipment and dungeon weaknesses.
• iOS 5 supported.

The golem appears at level 7 and will automatically walk you through a tutorial on using it. This should make it much easier to continue playing as long as you want or let the game idle for a while.

The last item in the bug fixes list is a real head-smacker; there should be a LOT more different kinds of items now at higher levels.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Supports iOS 5 you say? While maybe I'll finally take the plunge on it then. It supports iOS 5.1 and higher, not all of iOS 5.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 1, 2013

gaskone
Oct 17, 2012
Well hot drat THAT made my night! I was wondering what I'd be playing! I'm going to purchase it right now!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Welp, time to go back to Merchant to the Stars.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

haveblue posted:

We just threw the switch on Merchant to the Stars 1.1, it's propagating now and should be available within an hour or so.

I just bought this (did not upgrade from a previous version.) I get a splash screen then it immediately crashes. IPad 4 with iOS v6.1.3.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Anywho, does anyone know why Fantasica isn't very popular or similar in popularity as Puzzle and Dragon? I would think that a game with turret defense instead of the bejeweled like as gameplay would be easy to catch on. Is it because you can't get the best things unless you pay? I would imagine the average player doesn't really care about it.

Imagine that you are in a chess tournament, competing with players from around the world. You start with a standard chess set; other players pay money to start with a front row of all rooks and four queens. Players also have the option of paying money to get multiple moves in a row, so they're playing six times as many games as you six times faster unless your credit card is smoking. At the end of each tournament round, the top 5 in wins get powerful rewards, the top 200 get something passable, and you get a pawn shaped like a 12-year-old flashing her panties at you. Then the scoreboards reset and you get to do it all over again.

This is what it's like to play Fantasica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Timers don't seem to be counting down at all for me anymore. 9 of my heroes are stuck on 0:04.

e; Just went to the front room, then back to the ledger: those 9 on 0:03. Did it again; 0:02. Over more cycles, 0:01. Then 0:00. Then "waiting in front room" (they weren't there tho). Then back to 0:04.

pelao fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 2, 2013

• Locked thread