Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ka0 posted:

Another eBay cautionary tale, but for us folks who live outside mainland US: http://youtu.be/qZwZgcoc_zw

Jesus Christ, is Luke Morse always this wordy and rambling? He could have done this whole video in 7-8 minutes if he'd shut up and get to the drat point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Jesus Christ, is Luke Morse always this wordy and rambling? He could have done this whole video in 7-8 minutes if he'd shut up and get to the drat point.

No poo poo. I started watching the video, but quit after 4 minutes. I think he just likes listening to himself talk.

Who is this guy anyway?

Ineffiable posted:

You're a bro.

Thanks. Guess what everyone, I took the plunge and got my own x-rgb mini. Now to wait for it to come in the mail. Nobody has issues using the default power supply it comes with right? Just don't leave it plugged in overnight is what I hear.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the default psu, but it is rated for 100V, and we run it on 120V. So it does heat up a little bit. You can leave it plugged in overnight, it's no big deal.

But for me, I just rather have the correct power supply for my region, so I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NNFECS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you bought an xrgb mini, you may want a remote overlay to translate your remote... which I happen to sell (self advertising, lol). I got them posted over on the shmups forum, but if you want one, feel free to PM me over here.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45501

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 29, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I use my XRGB-2 Plus with the stock power supply and it's fine. My only complaint is the PSU gives off the slightest while when the unit is running but as long as I'm not playing with everything on silent I can't hear it. I also have really sensitive hearing to high pitches so ymmv

Also I didn't watch that video because I can't sit through any of dude's videos but not only is eBay a ton of poo poo, of course you're going to get hosed over buying internationally. The risk is way too high and eBay is a terrible place to spend your money.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Every Youtube video longer than five minutes is a waste of time, live by that rule and you'll be much better off.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Ka0 posted:

Another eBay cautionary tale, but for us folks who live outside mainland US: http://youtu.be/qZwZgcoc_zw

Isn't it more of the responsibility of the seller and PBI the reason his package came in such poo poo condition. I always thought of ebay as a buyer beware type of site when it comes to shipping since, usually Ebay has nothing to do with the actual shipping of an item.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bpc908 posted:

Isn't it more of the responsibility of the seller and PBI the reason his package came in such poo poo condition. I always thought of ebay as a buyer beware type of site when it comes to shipping since, usually Ebay has nothing to do with the actual shipping of an item.

Half right. Considering this is an amazon fulfillment style thing, it's not totally the seller's responsibility if PBI fucks with a package a seller took the time to package extremely carefully so PBI can save money. I believe that's point of the video. On the upside when a something breaks during shipping on ebay I've never had trouble getting a refund opening an ebay dispute. If that's the case though (opening a dispute) the only person who gets hosed by that is the seller, not PBI/Ebay. Ebay literally says "ship it to us and we'll take care of the international leg and assume all responsibility". The general rule is global shipping is always a fiasco for sellers (and buyers) so gently caress that. Kinda glad that video was posted because it made global shipping tempting but clearly "too good to be true" is the case. Also wild guess says Ebay gets paid for choosing to use PBI or Ebay wouldn't spend so much time promoting their new shipping program. I do agree though that sellers should research shipping methods, including Ebay sanctioned ones. If you're going to run a free market business you need to deal with the reality of the free market which is people will try to screw you if they can. In the end it's a lose/lose for buyers and sellers because buyers get broken poo poo, sellers get robbed of revenue, and ebay sits on stacks of fees laughing at them both.

Dude in the video does need to get to the point though, seriously. He could have said "Pitney Bowes International screws with packages sellers send to them to save cash, here is the proof, end of video."

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 29, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It really is sad how lovely international shipping has become from UPS charging ridiculous fees to USPS increasing their rates and eBay's own shipping being spotty as hell.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I may come into possession of a Japanese Gamecube and PS2 for free. Are there any exclusives for either that would make it worth having the systems? I've no idea what the region lock situation is with either so I'm not sure if having the actual Japanese consoles is really that big a help.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Something you should know- Japanese Gamecubes will try to format a USA-formatted memory card. It asks you this when you start up a game, but it's obviously in Japanese, so be very careful about having your memory cards in. For what it's worth, はい is Yes and いいえ is No, so you can at least know how you're answering some of the menu prompts. I don't know much about exclusives, though, sorry.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

So is there a way to play Star Fox 2 on a console?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I don't know about the SD2SNES, but getting a repro made is one way to do it. They pop up on ebay, too.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today is haul day! :frogsiren:

First up, I saw a Craigslist ad here for someone telling a bunch of Famicom/SFC carts on the cheap. Sounds too good to be true for this neck of the woods, but I thought I'd at least entertain a peek.

Walked out with all this for $16. For SFC I got F-Zero, Dungeon Master, Wildtrax (Stunt Race FX), JP version of Operation Logic Bomb, one of the Shinen the Wanderer games, and the other two I have no clue.

For Famicom, we have Game Center CX darling Challenger, Star Soldier, Devil World, another GCCX refugee Ikki, two Ninja Kun games I believe, a game with Moai Kun from Gradius, and two others that I have no idea on.

In addition, when I got home I found this by my door.

You are a box alright. Let's get you inside so I can spill your guts. Also that's some gnarly tape.

Ooooo, a bunch of stuff wrapped in obsolete tech news, my favorite!

Holy mackerel! Another SFC copy of Dungeon Master (it's the thought that counts!), one of the Sailor Moon beat 'em ups, R.C. Pro-AM (I'll get you this time, yellow car!), and one of the JP-exclusive Wizardry games!

And this little cartoon came packaged with Wizardry. Speaking of cartoons...

My secret santa included invaluable gameplay tips!

Almost forgot about this one. It seems vaguely familiar...

Oh dear... you shouldn't have.

I finally own the bad version of Ys 3! :dance:

And finally, this majestic image from somewhere far off.

Thank you Heran Bago, this really made my day! :3:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zas posted:

So is there a way to play Star Fox 2 on a console?

The SD2SNES can't yet (it needs a firmware update for SuperFX chip support), so repros are the only way right now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Extra posted:

Half right. Considering this is an amazon fulfillment style thing, it's not totally the seller's responsibility if PBI fucks with a package a seller took the time to package extremely carefully so PBI can save money. I believe that's point of the video. On the upside when a something breaks during shipping on ebay I've never had trouble getting a refund opening an ebay dispute. If that's the case though (opening a dispute) the only person who gets hosed by that is the seller, not PBI/Ebay. Ebay literally says "ship it to us and we'll take care of the international leg and assume all responsibility". The general rule is global shipping is always a fiasco for sellers (and buyers) so gently caress that. Kinda glad that video was posted because it made global shipping tempting but clearly "too good to be true" is the case. Also wild guess says Ebay gets paid for choosing to use PBI or Ebay wouldn't spend so much time promoting their new shipping program. I do agree though that sellers should research shipping methods, including Ebay sanctioned ones. If you're going to run a free market business you need to deal with the reality of the free market which is people will try to screw you if they can. In the end it's a lose/lose for buyers and sellers because buyers get broken poo poo, sellers get robbed of revenue, and ebay sits on stacks of fees laughing at them both.

Dude in the video does need to get to the point though, seriously. He could have said "Pitney Bowes International screws with packages sellers send to them to save cash, here is the proof, end of video."

You gotta realize this is the same guy that's so nuts that his wife left him due to his collecting habits. He claimed he was going to end making movies forever and was back to the same poo poo a month later.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain repros to me? I'm thinking (depending on cost) of getting my friend a repro game for christmas but I'm having trouble tracking it down as I believe it to be fairly esoteric and I don't know of any reputable places to look or if I can even get a repro of the game I would like to get him. My friend is also a goon so for obvious reasons I can't exactly say here what game it is but I have pms.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone explain repros to me? I'm thinking (depending on cost) of getting my friend a repro game for christmas but I'm having trouble tracking it down as I believe it to be fairly esoteric and I don't know of any reputable places to look or if I can even get a repro of the game I would like to get him. My friend is also a goon so for obvious reasons I can't exactly say here what game it is but I have pms.

what game is it? PM Me

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

bpc908 posted:

what game is it? PM Me

Done. Did Earthbound come out on Virtual Console yet?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

juliuspringle posted:

Done. Did Earthbound come out on Virtual Console yet?

Nope, coming to Wii U before the end of the year. It will almost be cheaper to buy a Wii U for Earthbound than to buy an Earthbound SNES cart.

DisposableHero posted:

I may come into possession of a Japanese Gamecube and PS2 for free. Are there any exclusives for either that would make it worth having the systems? I've no idea what the region lock situation is with either so I'm not sure if having the actual Japanese consoles is really that big a help.

Region-breaking the Wii is pretty easy thanks to homebrew, PS2 less so, but either way owning the systems is the most headache-free way.

Some PS2 JPN exclusives:
Earth Defense Force 2 (got a Euro release)
Tales of Symphonia (came to US GCN)
Sonic Gems Collection (ditto)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse
ADK Tamashii (Collection of Neo Geo games, including the original Twinkle Star Sprites)
Several other Neo Geo ports
Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box & most of the Sega Ages series (a handful came to the US as Sega Classics Collection)
Certain games (the SNK and Capcom fighters particularly) have the ability output in 480p in the Japanese versions, removed for some reason in the US ones
A handful of budget arcade ports which were basically an emulator and the ROM on disc (Pu-Li-Ru-La)

GCN JPN:
Kururin Squash
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Dr. Mario 64, Panel de Pon, Yoshi's Cookie)
Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (Tetra's Trackers mode cut from other releases due to localization effort needed)

In addition, Hudson had a line of remakes that included Bonk, Adventure Island, Star Soldier, and Lode Runner that came out on both PS2 and GCN in Japan. They're pretty neat looking. Also Dream Mix TV World Fighters and the Bomberman Land games.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just off the top of my head. Looking up and adding more though.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 29, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Everyone should play kururuin squash. It is a great game. I wish that series took hold like twinkle star sprites. It's also a series that I think would be great for GCCX

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does anyone have a copy of Pokemon Diamond for the Gameboy Color?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Getting a GameBoy Player Monday for 30 bucks with the disc!

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Headed out to a few flea markets, Springfield SC had pretty much nothing but Metro in Columbia was looking good today.

The 7800 joystick shown looks new in person, and Yoshi's Island was $2.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Extra posted:

If I understand eBay's shipping program here, it's basically like a Amazon's FBA service but with the item still in the seller's possession, which means: once the item is shipped to and inspected by eBay/PBI it's their problem if anything happens to it. Refunds, returns, etc should all be covered by eBay/PBI. Short of the item arriving DOA or not as advertised while the packaging is undamaged it should absolutely not be the seller's fault.

I don't know how truthful this video is, but if there's no insurance on the packages they're sending, and don't want to reimburse the buyer for their purchase, that is hosed up.

I'm also not seeing the point of the program. So, you ship the item to the domestic shipping center, and they ship it? So they're forwarding a package you have to pack and mail anyway, possibly tampering with packages and not insuring it? Filling out the customs form is literally a minute of your time. You print the postage and drop it off at a post office. I don't get it.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Finally getting around to posting the excellent gift I got a while back. Thanks again for everything!

Also...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Keyboard Kid posted:

If I understand eBay's shipping program here, it's basically like a Amazon's FBA service but with the item still in the seller's possession, which means: once the item is shipped to and inspected by eBay/PBI it's their problem if anything happens to it. Refunds, returns, etc should all be covered by eBay/PBI. Short of the item arriving DOA or not as advertised while the packaging is undamaged it should absolutely not be the seller's fault.

I don't know how truthful this video is, but if there's no insurance on the packages they're sending, and don't want to reimburse the buyer for their purchase, that is hosed up.

I'm also not seeing the point of the program. So, you ship the item to the domestic shipping center, and they ship it? So they're forwarding a package you have to pack and mail anyway, possibly tampering with packages and not insuring it? Filling out the customs form is literally a minute of your time. You print the postage and drop it off at a post office. I don't get it.

Well here's a direct quote from Ebay:

quote:

Note: If you purchase USPS insurance, you're only protected against any loss or damage to the package until it reaches the US shipping center. ShipCover insurance isn't available for Global Shipping Program shipments to the US shipping center. In addition, if you purchase signature confirmation when you ship your item, you'll receive a signature confirmation when the item is received at the US shipping center, not when it is received by the buyer. Although you're responsible for getting the package safely to the US shipping center, you won't be charged if the item is damaged or lost during international shipping.

Evidently if a shipment is damaged or lost in shipping and the international shipper is found to be at fault, it doesn't count against seller performance. The wording is very very fuzzy but it seems to imply ebay will foot the bill of a refund if the shipment goes south on the international leg and go after the shipping company. Similar to what happens when stuff you buy gets damaged in shipping, the shipper insures it, and goes after Fedex or whoever. In theory if PBI re-packs everything it should be clearly evident if something is damaged before they send it out. Though with people shipping "as-s for parts only" items, that line between stuff that broke on the way there and stuff that was already supposed to be broken is hard to determine.

Source

My wild guess is people think international shipping is scary and don't want to deal with insurance, customs, taxes, etc. to make sure they charge the correct amount of money to be properly reimbursed for international shipping and make sure it arrives safely. As a result sending it domestic to some facility and forgetting about it is attractive. Amazon's program isn't as silly as it's useful for anyone without a lot of living/storage space.

Oh my goodness sorry for the low content comment but those cats are absolutely cute as a button thank you for posting them.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 30, 2013

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Why is there a pentagram drawn on the board underneath the BIOS chip on the MV-1FZS?

Jesus people, I'm not joking here. Check your consolizations for virgin blood, black candle wax and KISS lyrics

Sizone fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 30, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Extra posted:

My wild guess is people think international shipping is scary and don't want to deal with insurance, customs, taxes, etc. to make sure they charge the correct amount of money to be properly reimbursed for international shipping and make sure it arrives safely. As a result sending it domestic to some facility and forgetting about it is attractive. Amazon's program isn't as silly as it's useful for anyone without a lot of living/storage space.

Amazon's FBA service is very attractive since shipments are eligible for Prime, which is a great thing for buyers. It's also very little work for sellers, since once they ship their stuff to Amazon, Amazon handles the shipping (daily workload) and inventory aspect.

I think the only real point to eBay's service is dealing with the responsibility of lost/broken packages. It's not like there's less work in doing this -- from what it seems, you pay the amount of international shipping plus how much it costs to ship it to the PBI center. If you're in the US there's no customs or taxes that you have to pay while sending an item, at least for the average value that most eBay sellers need. I must be missing something though.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

I found a copy of Magi Nation for the GBC at a used game store the other day, and remembered that it was supposed to be a pretty okay pokemon clone. I got it home and it doesn't seem to be able to save :( Is this happening for GBC games across the board lately (I know it's common in the pokemon games) or do I have a chance of finding a copy with a good battery somewhere?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
^ Changing the battery is easy

Sizone posted:

Why is there a pentagram drawn on the board underneath the BIOS chip on the MV-1FZS?

Jesus people, I'm not joking here. Check your consolizations for virgin blood, black candle wax and KISS lyrics

I wish I could see what I was looking at.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Iron Soul posted:

and Yoshi's Island was $2.

:sigh: I wish I could find amazing deals like this

Oh goodness :3:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ACID POLICE posted:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Finally getting around to posting the excellent gift I got a while back. Thanks again for everything!

Also...

Yay! I'm super glad you enjoyed the gift. You'll remember I found that Majora's Mask in my Goodwill dumpster dive, and you had messaged me asking if I was willing to part with it...at which point I was like "WELL THAT WAS EASY." :v:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ACID POLICE posted:

I wish I had a better camera, look at the board beneath the unsocketed chip, right in the middle.

edit: Or the cropped photo that got posted.

There was some debate as to whether the "S" in FZS stood for stereo or Spanish, now we know, it stands for Satan.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 30, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Guess I'm not getting that Genesis quoted earlier after all. Guy backed out and made the excuse of 'I got robbed' instead of sending it to me.

loving ebay. At least he refunded me.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

sandpiper posted:

Guess I'm not getting that Genesis quoted earlier after all. Guy backed out and made the excuse of 'I got robbed' instead of sending it to me.

loving ebay. At least he refunded me.

Keep your eyes open for the same console relisted for triple the price

Could anyone suggest some must-own GBA games for me to throw up on my wish list?

Pikachu fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 30, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Anatidaephobia posted:

Could anyone suggest some must-own GBA games for me to throw up on my wish list?

Putting aside all the typical first/third-party stuff, you want Ninja Five-O / Ninja Cop, Drill Dozer, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Rebelstar: Tactical Command and Crazy Frog Racer.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Putting aside all the typical first/third-party stuff, you want Ninja Five-O / Ninja Cop, Drill Dozer, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Rebelstar: Tactical Command and Crazy Frog Racer.

Drill Dozer and Astro Boy are pretty great (Astro Boy has Unico in it, that is instant greatness), but I never understood why Ninja Five-0 gets as much love as it does. Just seems like a sort of clunky Shinobi/Ninja Gaiden clone to me, with an emphasis on clunky.
If you've got a flash cart then World Reborn is a must play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ninja Five-O isn't particularly pretty and it's way too short but it's definitely not clunky - all your moves are really quick and tight, and you can blaze through pretty much every stage without stopping once you've established a path.

There are a bunch of games you should get before you shell out the cash for Ninja - the Mega Man Zero games, the Castlevanias, all the usual stuff - but I don't think its reputation is undeserved.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

the Castlevanias

Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow would definitely be good purchases, but you shouldn't get Harmony of Dissonance. It's an unexciting rethread of Symphony of the Night that's really not worth the money.

On top of that, the title is an oxymoron. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Most of the problem with Ninja Five-o stems from the price. It's up there with some games in the realm of 'would I really like it for that price?'

• Locked thread