Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Can people who've seen this in 3D comment on how that affected the experience? It seemed like a few scenes would have really been impressive (especially the business with the Kryptonian imagers) but also there was a little more jumpy handheld work than seems good for the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
"Don't worry, he's here to help us"
bridges, buildings collapse, an entire race is exterminated
"He's got it together, we can trust him. Why? Because he told us, it's the American Way."
absolute desolation

Danger fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 1, 2013

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

"At least it wasn't our race that was exterminated..."

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Victim blaming, metahuman edition

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Edged Hymn posted:

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I do think he's a shaky, earnest, compassionate young man. I never got the sense he was unhinged, and that we should be wary of him because of it. He just seemed like a pretty good dude who struggled to connect with people.

Make no mistake, I don't think that because he's a boy who is overwhelmed by external stimuli he is automatically bad. Handled with nuance, it could have been a touching story about an outcast coming to be loved by his fellow humans. However, the movie is building to a climax about finally getting the chance to swat away bullies.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Make no mistake, I don't think that because he's a boy who is overwhelmed by external stimuli he is automatically bad. Handled with nuance, it could have been a touching story about an outcast coming to be loved by his fellow humans. However, the movie is building to a climax about finally getting the chance to swat away bullies.

Well, I never got the sense that he was bottling up a lot of nasty rage, either. It would have been interesting to suggest Clark was finally taking his anger and hurt out on someone who could take it, but nothing in the script jumped out at me to suggest that. But whatever, like I said, agree to disagree :)

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Can people who've seen this in 3D comment on how that affected the experience? It seemed like a few scenes would have really been impressive (especially the business with the Kryptonian imagers) but also there was a little more jumpy handheld work than seems good for the format.

I saw it in 3D I would not recommend it as it didn't do much you could watch it without the glasses and see it fine. It was like John Carter from Mars if that helps any.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Edged Hymn posted:

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I do think he's a shaky, earnest, compassionate young man. I never got the sense he was unhinged, and that we should be wary of him because of it. He just seemed like a pretty good dude who struggled to connect with people.

I have met more compassionate rocks. There is not a single moment where Kal-El displays the slightest amount of care, respect, or compassion for a human being. When returning home to his adopted mother after years of absence, he immediately demeans and degrades her, openly flaunting his smug sense of superiority. "I have found my real parents!" He sneers and gloats, fit to burst with his pretentious ego. He cared nothing for her feelings of rejection or other hurts, instead seeming to take pleasure in crashing her hopes of a tearful and loving reunion with her adopted son. How mistaken she was to believe that a cold, unfeeling alien could return her years of sacrifice and care!

Even when Zod himself arrived to interrogate Martha, Kal-El is motivated to defend her not from compassion or altruism, but out of possession. "You cannot hurt my mother!" Kal-El's hunger for exclusivity and control would not allow anyone to hurt Martha, that pleasure is his alone. In addition, his thirst for spectacle drives him to tackle Zod directly into Smallville, where he can exhibit his power openly to an audience. While he causes far more death and damage than if he tackled Zod into the endless fields of corn, it did feed Kal-El's ego. In his mind, human lives and happiness are secondary to his own satisfaction.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All right I take it back y'all are cool

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't even have to look it up.

When young Pete bullies him before the bus careens off the bridge, good timing, he disengages. He gets to prove himself to Pete, which is good. However, tellingly, we get no sense that they're friends afterward, just that Pete now respects Clark because he saves his life. Respects, not likes. He's a kid, what is he, the Man With No Name? He can't actually have an actual friend? When he crashes through the IHOP later and Pete sees him, it's like they've just seen each other at a gloryhole and are too embarrassed to acknowledge each other. What's up with that?

When he does the Steven Seagal thing at the bar where he Turns The Other Cheek at the guy sexually harassing his friend the waitress, the destroying the truck thing doesn't need commentary. What does need commentary is why he leaves shortly after. Was he just bussing dishes because he likes it? If this is a stopover for him on his Kerouac cross-country journey, did he leave because he's afraid he's gonna hurt someone seriously if pushed? We are told of him bouncing from job to job saving lives but at the end of this long journey it seems like it's just to find the buried ship. How are we supposed to take that? Thank goodness he was there?

Finally, Zod stands to his feet and lays it on the line for Clark. Purely out of spite, he wants to kill Clark and destroy Earth just for killing the last Kryptonians. Does Clark attempt to reason or offer any kind of solace? No. We don't get any kind of compassion for the hundreds of thousands of people vaporized or disgust at the carnage. Instead what we get is "Krypton had its chance." We get rage.

We must've seen a different movie!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
It's hard to dismiss the seething rage permeating most of Clark's formative years that the film shows us. Practically every scene with him as a child is characterized by the impotent distress he is in, even when he saves a school bus. The film is then bookended with him engaging in a hyper-violent slap fight through CNN newsreel footage from 2001 that ends in a cathartic screaming spinal snap. A moment later Superman downs a military craft (which undoubtedly would be considered an act of war at some other place and time, perhaps by some other aggressor) and him saying he can be trusted. But why not? He's hot after all.

Danger fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 1, 2013

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

I agree, was a pretty entertaining movie. I want to see what Snyder can do with an Invincible movie.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know guys, it's not that I think your points are nonsensical or whatever, I'm just not seeing the "seething rage" and darkness boiling under this guy's surface. I really, honestly, do not see it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Because you don't see that doesn't make anyone who disagrees with you disingenuous.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Edged Hymn posted:

You know guys, it's not that I think your points are nonsensical or whatever, I'm just not seeing the "seething rage" and darkness boiling under this guy's surface. I really, honestly, do not see it.

I think they're exaggerating for effect. The fact that they can and it seems faintly plausible shows how poorly constructed the movie was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not exaggerating a thing. I'm being flip about it but I'm barely embellishing anything. Tell me, what are Pete's lines after he is redeemed by Space Christ?

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Because you don't see that doesn't make anyone who disagrees with you disingenuous.

Yeah, I know I sound like "that" guy, but I really feel that this is about as cut-and-dry as you can make it. Is Superman unhinged as he is depicted in Man of Steel? In my opinion, unequivocally no.

However, I'm coming around to your point of view on this and starting to get why you would think that way, even if I disagree with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If there is a sequel, I assume that Lex Luthor will make an appearance/be the bad guy, and I can certainly see how the events of this film could make him appear somewhat justified in his distaste for/fear of Superman as a concept.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I saw it in 3D Imax and honestly I don't think I noticed the 3D effects anywhere in the film - with maybe the exception that some of the fight scenes kind of stood out weirdly as it seemed the switch from what I assume was pure CGI to actors in costumes was quite jarring, and I suspect the 3D was probably better on the CGI than it was on the people.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

If there is a sequel, I assume that Lex Luthor will make an appearance/be the bad guy, and I can certainly see how the events of this film could make him appear somewhat justified in his distaste for/fear of Superman as a concept.

Technically the damage we saw in the film to Metropolis they'll be rebuilding for the next ten to fifteen years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

IBentMyWookie posted:

Technically the damage we saw in the film to Metropolis they'll be rebuilding for the next ten to fifteen years.

What if Superman helps with the rebuilding process?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Somewhat? He and the rest of the world saw a bunch of aliens destroy a major city, their fear is very justified. However, I hope Snyder-Luthor's first thought isn't fear, but, "How can I take advantage of this situation?"

edit: I'm sure Clark has "construction worker" down on his resume during his drifting years.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

teagone posted:

What if Superman helps with the rebuilding process?

He's too busy soaking in the adoration of Lois Lane to be bothered with saving the screaming masses burning to death in the wake of his rage. Rebuilding is not a priority for Kal-El, it is too constructive. Only through destruction can he feel empowered.

That and horrifically naked racism.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

When he does the Steven Seagal thing at the bar where he Turns The Other Cheek at the guy sexually harassing his friend the waitress, the destroying the truck thing doesn't need commentary. What does need commentary is why he leaves shortly after. Was he just bussing dishes because he likes it? If this is a stopover for him on his Kerouac cross-country journey, did he leave because he's afraid he's gonna hurt someone seriously if pushed? We are told of him bouncing from job to job saving lives but at the end of this long journey it seems like it's just to find the buried ship. How are we supposed to take that? Thank goodness he was there?

He leaves because he used his powers and wants to remain secret. He is the Good Samaritan helping a stranger on his wandering and then moving on. He has been apparently doing it for 12 years if he went to college and under assumed names which begs the question how Lois even remotely tracked him down. He is searching for his real parents as related in a flashback and confirmed when he goes back to tell his mom.

quote:

Finally, Zod stands to his feet and lays it on the line for Clark. Purely out of spite, he wants to kill Clark and destroy Earth just for killing the last Kryptonians. Does Clark attempt to reason or offer any kind of solace? No. We don't get any kind of compassion for the hundreds of thousands of people vaporized or disgust at the carnage. Instead what we get is "Krypton had its chance." We get rage.

Okay this is exaggeration we have no idea hundreds of thousands of people are killed.

I'm not exaggerating a thing. I'm being flip about it but I'm barely embellishing anything. Tell me, what are Pete's lines after he is redeemed by Space Christ?

What are you referring to here? And you did exaggerate the numbers of dead.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

LeJackal posted:

He's too busy soaking in the adoration of Lois Lane to be bothered with saving the screaming masses burning to death in the wake of his rage. Rebuilding is not a priority for Kal-El, it is too constructive. Only through destruction can he feel empowered.

That and horrifically naked racism.

At the point of the kiss, all of the damage was created by the world engine and fighter jets that's crashed attempting to destroy it. Superman had been on the opposite end of the world stopping the other end of the device so the world wouldn't be destroyed.

The level of destruction caused by the world engine realistically may not have left any survivors at that moment. Rewatching the final fight, it was Zod actively throwing Superman through buildings. Additionally, we're even shown Superman bringing Zod out to space before being beaten down back to Earth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

IBentMyWookie posted:

Okay this is exaggeration we have no idea hundreds of thousands of people are killed.

Uh, it's a gigantic city that they make zero reference to evacuating, as the world engine thing was pretty much a surprise attack. They also make no reference to a body count because if you're talking about dozens of skyscrapers blown up all at once, the body count would make your jaw drop. They're clearly not going for GI Joe here, those people didn't have parachutes or teleport away. (Although, in GI Joe 2 they just casually murder everyone in London)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

At the point of the kiss, all of the damage was created by the world engine and fighter jets that's crashed attempting to destroy it. Superman had been on the opposite end of the world stopping the other end of the device so the world wouldn't be destroyed.

The level of destruction caused by the world engine realistically may not have left any survivors at that moment. Rewatching the final fight, it was Zod actively throwing Superman through buildings. Additionally, we're even shown Superman bringing Zod out to space before being beaten down back to Earth.

There's also a bit where Superman keeps the fight above the city until Zod manages to bring the both of them back down.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Lois and the military sent about 10 or so Krypton war criminals back to the prison they had escaped. Superman killed one person and destroyed the ship that would have allowed genetically engineering future Kryptonians. I didn't know destroying a fertility clinic equaled mass murder.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I willingly accept this is a petty and stupid complaint/nitpick and perhaps it's more an observation than anything else.

It's sort of strange that after this movie is all said and done but a part of me wanted someone other than Jenny Olson to have freak out after experiencing the reality of a world with Superman.

Out of all the reactions to things, her freakout at her impending death seems like the most realistic human reaction we see. However, all the humans we really get to see deal with the danger the Kryptonians represent in a first-person basis are all soldiers, Ma Kent or Lois. So, in short, a bunch of people who we can't dwell on a freak out with because they're all to strong to succumb to that sort of human frailty.

I get the film's human leads are very emotionally controlled and strong, but if I went through half the stuff Lois went through, a 'ROMANTIC' kiss with Superman would be on the low end of my thoughts and instead I'd be on the ground, clutching the Earth for fear of falling off the planet, crying my eyes out, and freaking out about my near-death and then my mind would start to consider a race of supermen in our midst that I'm completely helpless against who can throw a 747 like it was a paper airplane.

The whole faith comes first, trust comes later, or whatever it is could have played into this. People don't trust superman, they don't even have faith in him. They are so poo poo scared when they are confronted with the power of the Kryptonians for the first time, even when Superman is HELPING them, it's terrifying. Maybe even paralyzing so, at best.

But even I admit, I don't know if even having such a moment in the film fits with its tone or pacing well enough to have actually improved it all that much. Superman doesn't just have to overcome humanity's lack of faith and suspicion of him, he has to overcome an extreme amount of deep fear that his mere existence generates.

And for as dark and serious as this film tried to be, maybe the sequels will touch on what the presence of a aliens, supermen and world destroying power affects the general psyche of the human population. I could almost see Lois pulling something similar to what Reed Richards did in a Fantastic Four book a few years ago when explaining why he did so much to craft the FF into public figures they were: If I recall correctly It was better to make them all into heroes and icons and media figures because otherwise they'd be hated, feared and called freaks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ghostwritingduck posted:

Lois and the military sent about 10 or so Krypton war criminals back to the prison they had escaped. Superman killed one person and destroyed the ship that would have allowed genetically engineering future Kryptonians. I didn't know destroying a fertility clinic equaled mass murder.

Who said anything about him murdering anyone?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Well, they didn't really escape. The destruction of Krypton led to their release.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The only part that really looks good in the 3D is the flight scene. Otherwise it's not worth it. Seen it in 3D and IMAX 3D as well as 2D and IMAX 2D (twice) and the 2D experience is much better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The first flight scene in IMAX 2D was so goddamn amazing.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Who said anything about him murdering anyone?

Sorry Hindu, I lumped in a different issue from someone else when responding to you. The "Krypton had it's chance" occurred immediately after Superman had stopped the world engine on the other side of the world so he would be unaware of the amount of destruction that had occurred.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IBentMyWookie posted:

I don't see any way the death toll isn't in the thousands, if not 10,000+

It's all very sanitized, we don't see anybody killed, but we do see buildings (including huge skyscrapers) that we know had people in them utterly destroyed. There is no way the death toll isn't gigantic.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 1, 2013

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Not to mention whatever ecological damage done due to the terraforming machines.

Perfect introduction for Aquaman.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Uh, it's a gigantic city that they make zero reference to evacuating, as the world engine thing was pretty much a surprise attack. They also make no reference to a body count because if you're talking about dozens of skyscrapers blown up all at once, the body count would make your jaw drop. They're clearly not going for GI Joe here, those people didn't have parachutes or teleport away. (Although, in GI Joe 2 they just casually murder everyone in London)

I have no idea how many buildings were destroyed and what the occupancy rate was. Lets say an even 20 and around 15000 per building...yeah 300k sounds about right. I stand corrected. But that's at the very top end scale. My building at work houses around 12k in NYC about 40 floors.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 1, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

IBentMyWookie posted:

What are you referring to here? And you did exaggerate the numbers of dead.

Oh, BTW, I'm referring to Pete having zero lines after he's saved by Clark. Why? Are we supposed to think his creepy, beatific smile and eternal loyalty to Clark is some kind of desirable thing? I'm being 100% serious about that - why does he have no lines at all? Pete Ross is supposed to be one of his best friends from Smallville, does he just not rate?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Not to mention Lana having 0 lines and she was supposed to be an early romantic interest, but I guess that was cut out, too.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Oh, BTW, I'm referring to Pete having zero lines after he's saved by Clark. Why? Are we supposed to think his creepy, beatific smile and eternal loyalty to Clark is some kind of desirable thing? I'm being 100% serious about that - why does he have no lines at all? Pete Ross is supposed to be one of his best friends from Smallville, does he just not rate?

That's simple they aren't friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

The first flight scene in IMAX 2D was so goddamn amazing.

Agreed, Cavill showed the perfect amount of joy in the discovery of that power. Upon each new time I see the film I get more excited for that scene than the rest of the film.

• Locked thread