Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Had a few more good games tonight. I'm really glad that there appears to be an actual viable choice as to which hive to go first, along with weapon choices. A ballsy marine move could now be to drop proto lab before phase gates, get everyone jetpacks, and just roam the map, relying on your new extreme mobility to chase to the hive and kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

Haha I got caught in that the other night. The servers clearly weren't full, but it kept shuffling me around anyway.

If you keep playing on those servers, though, watch out for the one admin who keeps dropping hives without telling anybody and then raging at his team when they get killed immediately. That guy's a trip. I wish I could remember his name.

I know who you're talking about. MasterBlaster? Or something like that. He only ever comms because he is apparently terrible at shooting mans (Or dogs) but great at telling other people how to do so. We were doing tram one night, have the bottom point and repair, working up left side of the map. Aliens have all three hives, but we're doing okay for the moment as we're pushing from ore into warehouse. He was giving literally zero support (Armor 1, no medpacks, no ammo, not even a forward armory) and telling us to simply "Group up, go into the hive and kill it." This was all he said for five whole minutes. We lost the game. When I started giving genuine, thoughtful criticism, or deviate from his plan (ninja a phase in another place) I was told that I was "this close to being banned." Despite having played on the servers most nights since release. :sigh: This event, plus the plateauing of my skill (Which isn't terrible) along with that disappointing competition in Europe made me stop playing for a while.

Anyone have any decent favorite servers to share? :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

I know who you're talking about. MasterBlaster? Or something like that. He only ever comms because he is apparently terrible at shooting mans (Or dogs) but great at telling other people how to do so. We were doing tram one night, have the bottom point and repair, working up left side of the map. Aliens have all three hives, but we're doing okay for the moment as we're pushing from ore into warehouse. He was giving literally zero support (Armor 1, no medpacks, no ammo, not even a forward armory) and telling us to simply "Group up, go into the hive and kill it." This was all he said for five whole minutes. We lost the game. When I started giving genuine, thoughtful criticism, or deviate from his plan (ninja a phase in another place) I was told that I was "this close to being banned." Despite having played on the servers most nights since release. :sigh: This event, plus the plateauing of my skill (Which isn't terrible) along with that disappointing competition in Europe made me stop playing for a while.

That's the guy. He's completely terrible at commanding and likewise incapable of understanding that it's his fault. I've only ever played with him on the alien side.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alain Perdrix posted:

I just got the game during the sale, and I love it so far. I'm impressed by how complex it is, and by the absolute necessity of communication. I've started getting pretty good at playing as a marine, I find, but the alien game seems a little more complicated. I found some tutorials online from goon TychoCelchuu. I'm seeing a lot of talk about how there were some big changes made to the game with this new patch – can I safely assume that at least most of what I might learn in those tutorials is still applicable?
So I went ahead and made the update video. For everyone who has just bought this game, or who has friends who have just bought the game, I highly recommend, with zero conflict of interest and absolutely no bias or hidden motive except all the money I make from people watching the videos and the massive ego I get from knowing that I've raised a generation of NS2 players who have suckled from my brainteat, that you check out my series of NS2 tutorial videos because nothing says "fun" like "listen to a nerd for 2 hours before you get to play your new video game."

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Petey's Playhouse, JustServers, Gladiator something

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

That's the guy. He's completely terrible at commanding and likewise incapable of understanding that it's his fault. I've only ever played with him on the alien side.

I know exactly who you guys are talking about too. This is the big kahuna or king kahuna servers right? Yeah they loving suck.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
When I was trying out the new stuff with the ingame bots, one of the available bot names was TychoCelchu.

As for servers, here's my perspective (US East):

GladiatorServers, JestServers, and DMZGaming are all pretty good performance-wise, and I haven't had any issues with admins or assholes on them. The KingKahuna ones are kinda blah community-wise, and a lot of them have mods like the Quake announcer stuff and it can be pretty annoying/terrible. If you like Combat, the [GG] servers have a pretty chill community and good admins. Team Work and Tactics are UK based servers, but they usually have better performance/ping for me than US West coast servers, and the community is alright.

IBISGaming servers seem to be a crapshoot. I've heard good stories and horror stories about them in this thread. My personal experience is playing on their Combat server when the [GG] ones are full/empty, but it seems like the Combat crowd is small enough that it's mostly the same people and community so I don't think that'll apply to their vanilla servers. They always do seem to have an admin on call, at least.

TacticalGamer can go eat a bag of dicks. All their servers have reserved slots that you need a monthly subscription to get in. Even if you manage to connect and start playing, you will be booted for a reserved player, even if the server is nowhere near full.

For specific servers... I used to play a lot on Keep Calm and Bellyslide until one of the regulars took to harassing me and the admin sided with him, so gently caress that. Mavick's Pub is great if you can get in. I used to play a bunch at Jedis Loft and at the South Florida Feeding Frenzy but I haven't seen either of those two on my server list lately.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 1, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't play on Tactical Gamers much because I hate working with reserved slots in general but it's a little different than you think. Anyone can have a reserved slot for free by signing up on their forums and basically posting an affirmation to an agreement to not be a dickhead and to work with their teammates. There's a bot which handles adding your slot. You can still be booted if you recently joined to fill a reserved slot and a paying member pops in but that is like any server with a reserved slot system not supported by the game. TG forces people to either have a mic or affirm that they are paying attention to voice chat each match, so you tend to get better games just due to the fact that there is actual communication. Admins vary like anywhere else, but I will say that their admins take a lot of time to ensure that there's a good playing atmosphere.

The only servers I would actively discourage people from joining are Petey's Playhouse and human being Town. Both have overly hostile, unfunny regulars from reddit, etc.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So I went ahead and made the update video. For everyone who has just bought this game, or who has friends who have just bought the game, I highly recommend, with zero conflict of interest and absolutely no bias or hidden motive except all the money I make from people watching the videos and the massive ego I get from knowing that I've raised a generation of NS2 players who have suckled from my brainteat, that you check out my series of NS2 tutorial videos because nothing says "fun" like "listen to a nerd for 2 hours before you get to play your new video game."

Thanks, that's helpful!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't been playing a lot lately, but NANOGRID.ca (199.192.205.189:27015) might be worth checking out if it hasn't gone downhill.

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

YO-Clan
HGZ
]db[
UK Teamplay or whatever it is called

All decent EU servers.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
You guys should come play on our |DFA| servers. The perf is good, it seems to be a good US host for EU players, and we have a number of competant to skilled commanders in the game every match.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Nice overview on the changes btw, but you forgot to mention that marines can use gorge tunnels when introducing them.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 1, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Brackhar posted:

Nice overview on the changes btw, but you forgot to mention that marines can use gorge tunnels when introducing them.
No I didn't! At 3:23 - "any marine can actually use them too, so you can get in fights inside these and stuff."

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play on the DFA server all the time. Last night joshy was on there, 99-3 as a loving fade. Unreal man.

DFA is a good server. Avoid Ibis and voogru. Other good servers are Tactical Gamer and TGB-Chicago.

Those are my 3 favorite. Tactical gamer would probably be the best if not for the lame reserve slot system they have. But I'd you want a serious game with lots of communication it is a good place for that. The admins are the most mature I've found so far as well, and they have good house rules like you have to be able to hear voice comm and they don't allow end game recycling when the comm just decides to end it for everyone.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I went ahead and bought this (and Chivalry) last night and I'm eager to get into it. I ran through one match with (what I believed was) a competent commander but it was pretty obvious that I have a lot to learn. I figure to make things manageable I'll focus on learning how to play as a marine for now, no commander business. I just want to get comfortable with the basic gameplay first, and then the tech trees.

Tycho's videos are great, but I'd like to get some more gaming in. Do you guys hang out on any rookie-friendly servers? I'm in California so I don't know how well I'd do on an EU server.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

thegloaming posted:

Tycho's videos are great, but I'd like to get some more gaming in. Do you guys hang out on any rookie-friendly servers? I'm in California so I don't know how well I'd do on an EU server.

I can play some games with you if you'd like. http://steamcommunity.com/id/alathar/ I'm west coast too, so picking a server shouldn't be difficult.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I don't play on Tactical Gamers much because I hate working with reserved slots in general but it's a little different than you think. Anyone can have a reserved slot for free by signing up on their forums and basically posting an affirmation to an agreement to not be a dickhead and to work with their teammates. There's a bot which handles adding your slot. You can still be booted if you recently joined to fill a reserved slot and a paying member pops in but that is like any server with a reserved slot system not supported by the game. TG forces people to either have a mic or affirm that they are paying attention to voice chat each match, so you tend to get better games just due to the fact that there is actual communication. Admins vary like anywhere else, but I will say that their admins take a lot of time to ensure that there's a good playing atmosphere.

The only servers I would actively discourage people from joining are Petey's Playhouse and human being Town. Both have overly hostile, unfunny regulars from reddit, etc.

Oddly enough I used to play on Petey's a lot and never had a bad experience with these guys until a couple nights ago when they started stacking against greens. That I cannot abide.

Also I believe human being town is run by Ralcor and his friends who can and will be giant dicks a lot of the time (stacking, etc.). However I can tolerate dickery up to a point and would rather play on an 18 person server with dickery than a 24 person server anyday.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

thegloaming posted:

I'm pretty bad at this game (though all these rookies made me realize I used to be a lot worse) so I exclusively play on green servers. Avoid IBIS if you can because the performance tanks a lot and there's almost always an AFK admin who gets shuffled onto a team by the random command. Yet for some reason it's always one of the most reliably populated ones. Before this sale, the pickings were in fact quite slim, so it was pretty much IBIS, Tactical Gamer, Lucky Fkers, Gorge Pub or Mavick's Pub. I enjoy playing on the latter two well enough; they're not particularly fantastic or anything, but there's nothing noteworthy bringing them down either. Tactical Gamer has the aforementioned reserve slot problem that's allegedly not that big a deal if you take a moment to register, and Lucky Fkers was fine until they put a crummy custom balance mod on.

e: VVV Yeah, that's the one I forgot! Also a solid green server for sure.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 2, 2013

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've had a lot of good games on Guns & Lerks.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone feel like the matches have been longer on average with the new patch? Seems like if alien's have two tech points the game turns into a back and forth for 30 mins until one team can break the stalemate. Im not complaining, just wondering if anyone has made a similar observation.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've seen games go to an hour or more the last few nights. If you've got newer players who don't know how to push, games will always drag out no matter how things are balanced. Commanding, I can't tell you how many times I would see 6 skulks all hanging outside of a room afraid to just go in. The things that I repeat like a mantra when commanding are "Use C to bring up your minimap and join your teammates" and "Never go into a room one at a time". I also love that new drifter storm ability if you've got a swarm waiting to break into a room. Combine that with enzyme cloud and you will just slaughter the place.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Limastock posted:

Anyone feel like the matches have been longer on average with the new patch? Seems like if alien's have two tech points the game turns into a back and forth for 30 mins until one team can break the stalemate. Im not complaining, just wondering if anyone has made a similar observation.

I've noticed they're longer, but there is much less waiting for the game to be over. The game isn't decided by the 5 minute mark anymore.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Guesticles posted:

I've noticed they're longer, but there is much less waiting for the game to be over. The game isn't decided by the 5 minute mark anymore.

It's not? Well then, might be time to boot this up again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Guesticles posted:

Well, it CAN be, but if one team is clearly losing by the 5 minute mark it's likely that they're just not as good as the other team. There's still plenty of flexibility.

I'm still wondering about a strategy where you drop a proto lab as soon as possible, research JPs, then beacon the team and tell them to get a pack and go straight to the hive. I'd love to try it sometime.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

apostateCourier posted:

It's not? Well then, might be time to boot this up again.

It might still be, but it doesn't feel that way anymore.

I saw my first marine comeback since... I think NS2 went to 1.0. We were on mine shaft, in repair, holding the bottom map against waves of determined aliens ("Push deposit we need a 2nd tech point for dualies" "What about Operations?" ":negative:"). Central, Cavern, and the gap were in constant flux. Operations and Cave both fell a few times, but the other team couldn't secure the area enough to capitalize on it. It was really touch and go, and I thought aliens were going to win with attrition, but we finally took and held central, and a few oni got overconfident. Then an exo and 2 JPs did a suicide feint on Cave, which left Desposit open for a real push. The aliens cleared out Operations, but couldn't recover - especially when a good chunk of their team and better players rage quit after deposit fell.

The fact that marines can knuckle down and actually have 1 TP jps and Exos has made it so that marines are dangerous the whole game. Cheaper lifeforms, res-while-dead, always able to build shift-shade-craig means marines need to be on their toes all the times (and cheaper exos makes them much more like NS1 HA - loss of an exo is no longer a crippling blow)

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Female marine is on the way at last:

No boob armour or embarassing bikini armour.

It's nice that there are special edition versions of her too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Female marine is on the way at last:

No boob armour or embarassing bikini armour.

It's nice that there are special edition versions of her too.

Super loving happy with UWE that they went for that sensible design and not something horrible. Well done to them.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
That is really awesome and I like UWE all that much more for it. If only I wasn't so terrible at playing Marines...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's quite damning for the gaming industry (ok, entertainment industry as a whole) that NOT portraying a female character as a poorly-dressed sex object is a rare and laudable act but there you go. They're also adding first person models for the preorder and deluxe edition armours for both genders!

The quality of the new voice acting is going to be the only thing that determines which model I use so it'd better be good!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Now I get to lament not having a PC that could run this back during the preorder days all over again. :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've only played two games with the patch so this is just speculation, but I would guess that games are going on longer because the previous "endgame" stuff like onoses, ARCs and exos are much easier to get now, but are less powerful, so you kinda hit the end of your team's power curve earlier, and there's not as much stuff you can use to break stalemates just by virtue of having it. It might be nice if some sort of super top-tier upgrades were added to help break stalemates but so far I've been pretty happy with the changes.

I like the look of the new Marine, I'll probably just use whichever one has a better voice. I was kinda surprised to hear that they've been using the same voice clips since NS1 though.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I am pretty sick of the old voice commands. Also why havent they brought back the squad hot keying voice prompt.

"YOU'RE SQUAD FIVE!!"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
With the new build out I've been playing again and was wondering, How good do I have to be to play with goons? Because I'm not good.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depends on the goon. Some people who post here are in clans but most of us are just regular pubs.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I like the look of the new Marine, I'll probably just use whichever one has a better voice. I was kinda surprised to hear that they've been using the same voice clips since NS1 though.

I always figured it started out as a placeholder thing and stayed in as a nostalgia thing. I mean, there were a ton of NS1 sounds/effects/models that have been slowly replaced over time in NS2.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ZeusCannon posted:

With the new build out I've been playing again and was wondering, How good do I have to be to play with goons? Because I'm not good.

Considering that there isn't an actual goon server and I'm not sure there's any sort of organization to goon play, I'd say it doesn't matter.

I'm pretty terrible, which is why it's always shocking and appalling when I see myself near the top of a leaderboard after a round.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Did they do something to the pistol? The reload speed seems to be horrendously slow compared to what it was in previous patches that in a fight I'm better off rushing the skulk with my axe instead reloading the pistol after I shoot off both my rifle and pistol magazines.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mushball posted:

Did they do something to the pistol? The reload speed seems to be horrendously slow compared to what it was in previous patches that in a fight I'm better off rushing the skulk with my axe instead reloading the pistol after I shoot off both my rifle and pistol magazines.

They changed it to the same length of time as the rifle reload.

Limastock posted:

Yeah I am pretty sick of the old voice commands. Also why havent they brought back the squad hot keying voice prompt.

"YOU'RE SQUAD FIVE!!"

"Move to your waypoint soldier"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Someone posted this as an edit of the female marine and it was a really funny joke, then he posted repeatedly that it wasn't satire and he thought it was better than the original :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm glad he added boob armor and a pony tail. How would I know it's a woman otherwise? :downs:

• Locked thread