Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Davoren posted:

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, and really enjoying it, but it's given me a hankerin' for a more traditional metroidvania, are there any good ones on PC? I thought Unepic might be what I wanted, but it seems to be trying its own thing. I guess I could just play Symphony of the Night again, but I want something fresh.
Aquaria and especially Waking Mars sound right up your alley. The latter is a little more non-traditional, but it still scratches that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Davoren posted:

I've been playing Rogue Legacy, and really enjoying it, but it's given me a hankerin' for a more traditional metroidvania, are there any good ones on PC? I thought Unepic might be what I wanted, but it seems to be trying its own thing. I guess I could just play Symphony of the Night again, but I want something fresh.

Another Metroid 2 Remake should be done sometime this year, hopefully, but there's a fairly lengthy demo available at the moment.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
If you haven't, try Cave Story or Iji. Both are amazing and the latter is free to boot! Hell, I think the old version of Cave Story is still free too.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Funktor posted:

How is FTL? What sort of game is it? What does it do well? Worth the purchase? Or are there other similar games that do the same thing better?

The thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469690

Buy it if the videos/description appeal to you at all.

Davoren posted:

Just in case, on the off chance that you haven't seen it mentioned here five or ten times already, Dark Souls.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 3, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Funktor posted:

How is FTL? What sort of game is it? What does it do well? Worth the purchase? Or are there other similar games that do the same thing better?

In my opinion it's definitely worth the purchase. I got a lot of fun hours out of it and I still play it.

There are a ton of ships to unlock, but it can be difficult to unlock 'em. Some of the random events can be really hard, but a lot of them are amusing and the ship-to-ship combat is great fun.

Do you like the idea of knocking out a dudes shields with your missiles before carving his ship up with a laser (Comes in shooty and beam variety!)? Or setting his ship ablaze with flame weapons and sending in your fire immune rock crew to cave everyone's skull in? Enemies will board your ship too, and an effective tactic to deal with this is venting oxygen from certain parts of the ship and slowly suffocating them while they try to get through your blast doors.
If you're a real bastard, you could also just take out the oxygen supply on their ship or keep it permanently ion'd and have their whole crew suffocate, leaving an intact ship with more spoils for the taking (Although this is accomplished quicker by sending in your literal giant mantis people crewmen and having them rapidly carve the place up.)

If you do buy it, I'll tell you this: Beware giant spiders, those are no joke.

Bearing in mind, it is still a roguelike, and it can be quite punishing. I don't find it punishing in the way I found ADOM punishing, i.e, I don't have enough time to ever end up beating this, but I beat FTL on Normal mode within a few days of buying it.

If you're still really on the fence, maybe watch some gameplay videos on youtube?

As for my own request this time (And thank you to those who have suggested stuff, I don't always say thanks because I don't want to just post to say 'Cheers then!'), I've kinda been on a mafia kick recently after starting to watch The Sopranos, and I've been playing some of the old mafioso games I know.

I've played / am playing:
Mafia 1 & 2
Omerta (Fun, but simplistic)
The Godfather 1 (Which I found surprisingly enjoyable, for a movie-game); Is the sequel any good?

I also enjoyed the modern mafia elements found in Max Payne 1 and 2, and I tried Gangsters: Organized Crime, but didn't get along with it. I'm not sure why I specifically enjoy these over a lot of other open-world crime games, it's just so fun to put on an old-timey suit and hat and shoot stuff up with a tommygun.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
After playing around with Occult Chronicles I've become interested in games that embrace the fact that their mechanics are similar to board or card games. Obviously other games by that guy (like Armageddon Empires) fit that description but I wonder if there are others.

I've tried Etherlords 2 (which is like Heroes of Might & Magic game with mechanics of CCG) but it didn't click for me. Any suggestions?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've played quite a lot of Dawn of War II, and I'm looking for something similar. Strategy where I'm just controlling a few units that all have special abilities, that sort of thing. I've played things like XCOM, but I never really felt like any particular soldier was special. It was all "Oh drat, I just lost a guy" rather than "drat, I just lost THAT guy." I guess I'm looking for a fantasy/scifi setting, since when you're using "normal" soldiers like CoH or XCOM, the biggest difference is whether the guy has grenades or a rocket launcher, and I've been spoiled by running a dude with a giant hammer in to the rear of a tank so he can explode while a guy with a giant lascannon is exploding orcs.

Ideally, I'd be playing the WH40k or Warmachine tabletop games on my computer, but since I can't, I'm hunting the next best thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

MooCowlian posted:

Ideally, I'd be playing the WH40k or Warmachine tabletop games on my computer, but since I can't, I'm hunting the next best thing.

Just to make sure, you mean VASSAL, right? If not, that's an alternative.

It's kind of an RPG game, but it's centered towards action and you make your own party - Icewind Dale 2.
If you want to stick to strategy, there's Battle for Wesnoth, a completely free title where all units stay with you through a campaign, but death is final. There's also tons of add ons available, and a huge modding community behind it.

I can't really think of anything else quite like that right now.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any good management games with graphics like A Game of Dwarves? I've really liked the game, but it's got some serious problems and it can't be the only recent game where I give a bunch of peons a general list of poo poo to do then have them do it while making sure they don't start dying. The problem is I know there's stuff like Dwarf Fortress and Gnomoria, but I seriously can't get in to a 2d/text based game. No, really, I got tired of Chrono Trigger and other really good games like it just because I don't like 2d. Telling me how great Dwarf Fortress is won't change that. :v:

e:Grabbed the Dungeon Keeper games and Startopia.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 4, 2013

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Rapner posted:

I'm looking for an alt tab friendly game that I can play while doing boring stuff in eve online.

Muds or Dwarf Fortress would qualify, but I have played both to death. Being able to pause or script the interface is a big plus.

Turned out the perfect game for this was Puzzle and Dragons.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Does there exist a game that is somewhere between the Civilization series and Total War series? I want to play a city/civilization building type game but with more in-depth fighting than just "click that guy over there"

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Esroc posted:

Does there exist a game that is somewhere between the Civilization series and Total War series? I want to play a city/civilization building type game but with more in-depth fighting than just "click that guy over there"

Rise of Nations. Still awesome too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

V for Vegas posted:

Rise of Nations. Still awesome too.

Just to expand on this a little bit: Rise of Nations is basically a hybrid of Civilization and Age of Empires that works incredibly well.

It also runs beautifully on modern systems with little fuss.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for a 'dick around while watching Netflix' game, preferably creative/constructive. I've been using Kerbal Space Prog for this, and Terraria/Minecraft/FTL/Dwarf Fort/Fate of the World in the past. Steam-based preferable. Any game that gives you tight control of game speed.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for a 'dick around while watching Netflix' game, preferably creative/constructive. I've been using Kerbal Space Prog for this, and Terraria/Minecraft/FTL/Dwarf Fort/Fate of the World in the past. Steam-based preferable. Any game that gives you tight control of game speed.

I don't know how you feel about older game, going to assume you're fine with them considering the games listed. Or how you feel about CYOA games.

But I've been playing King of Dragon Pass lately while watching TV and it's been great. Only problem is, I sometimes get too sucked into it and start reading what's going on and missing what is on tv. It's really good, and has a lot of depth that isn't immediately noticeable.

It's lots of fun though. It reminds me of Oregon Trail, if instead of Oregon you ended up in Fantasy land and had to settle there. And for the record, I am a terrible terrible King.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I've used Tropico 4 for this purpose in the past.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
ANNO 2070 and SimCity 4 are also good options but you'll probably be able to pick up a complete pack for Tropico 4 during the steam summer sale for around $10.

Kilereren
Oct 17, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I find Crusader Kings 2 works well for this, though the slight learning curve going in to starting play might put you off a bit. Still, the major point of the game is taking your time in decisions, so you've got plenty of control over time.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

MooCowlian posted:

I've played quite a lot of Dawn of War II, and I'm looking for something similar. Strategy where I'm just controlling a few units that all have special abilities, that sort of thing. I've played things like XCOM, but I never really felt like any particular soldier was special. It was all "Oh drat, I just lost a guy" rather than "drat, I just lost THAT guy." I guess I'm looking for a fantasy/scifi setting, since when you're using "normal" soldiers like CoH or XCOM, the biggest difference is whether the guy has grenades or a rocket launcher, and I've been spoiled by running a dude with a giant hammer in to the rear of a tank so he can explode while a guy with a giant lascannon is exploding orcs.

It isn't exactly 40k or Warmachine, but Silent Storm is probably close to what you are looking for. But if you do want to play tabletop, then yeah look up Vassal and the modules for those games. It is essentially like proxying models, you will still have to know all the rules since the game can't supply them itself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Silent Storm's a good recommendation. Another, slightly more out-there, is Freedom Force and its sequel Freedom Force vs The Third Reich. You control a squad of superheroes, including your own custom-made superhero if you want (with an absolutely insane range of customisable options and skills), through a persistent campaign and decide on their skill development. Every character has their own origin story riffing on one comic book trope/era or another. There's no permadeath, and they play sort of like a cross between squad-based tactical games and hack-and-slash RPGs, but the games are absolute gems.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

MooCowlian posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 might be a good fit. It's similar to XCOM, but each soldier has their own personality and voice-acting rather than just being faceless mooks.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Okay, so I've been getting the itch for an oldschool dungeon crawler. I don't really care about plot this time (though it's always a major plus) and mostly I just want creative bullshit dungeons that look fairly nice. I'm currently playing Dark Souls, and while that's hitting the itch pretty well, I wanna know if there's anything better dungeon-wise. Maybe a roguelike? (note: looking 'fairly nice' isn't about graphics, it's about the dungeon being unique)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Galick posted:

Okay, so I've been getting the itch for an oldschool dungeon crawler. I don't really care about plot this time (though it's always a major plus) and mostly I just want creative bullshit dungeons that look fairly nice. I'm currently playing Dark Souls, and while that's hitting the itch pretty well, I wanna know if there's anything better dungeon-wise. Maybe a roguelike? (note: looking 'fairly nice' isn't about graphics, it's about the dungeon being unique)

You might enjoy Legend of Grimrock.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Galick posted:

Arx Fatalis might be worth a try; it's a 2002 fantasy RPG set entirely underground (the world's sun burned out, and all the survivors had to move underground or freeze to death.) It's got some fun and innovative design choices, although it can be frustrating in places.

I can also recommend the Avernum games; they're also set (mostly) underground, in a sprawling prison/dungeon complex.

The problem with roguelikes is that since their dungeons are mostly randomly generated, they're rarely unique. Maybe Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is worth a look? It has a main dungeon (which is very standard stuff, twisty passages with monsters and traps and loot,) and a bunch of "branches", which are all different and mostly interesting.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If you have a PS2, you should try to track down a copy of Nightmare of Druaga. It's a roguelike where only the bonus floors are randomized, and the dungeon design is actually pretty good and has some variety.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Galick posted:

Grimrock is a good modern option, if you can handle the combat.
If you want a truly oldschool dungeon crawler with a good story (assuming you haven't played it), I recommend Lands of Lore http://www.gog.com/gamecard/lands_of_lore_1_2
2 is kind of iffy but 1 is fantastic. And Patrick Stewart :allears:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chinook posted:

You might enjoy Legend of Grimrock.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/

This is a great game, but beware that it's not for everybody. Half the game is hidden behind deliberately obtuse puzzles. If you don't mind playing it with a faq open or committing to some serious trial and error, go for it.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

I did request bullshit dungeon crawlers specifically. I'm an SMT boy after all :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Galick posted:

I'd suggest you check out the Realms of Arkania games, especially the third one. All three are on GoG, and you can import saves from one to the next, but the third one is all set around a large city (and its dungeon-filled underworld) and thus may fit what you're looking for best. Your heroes will interact with the world based on their stats, meaning the character building is more involved than most dungeon crawlers, and some of the dungeon puzzles can be tricky.

Plus it's got grid-based combat!

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I'm a huge fan of action RPGs that tend to be more action than RPGs, like Dark Souls, Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands, etc.

I also love Rouge-likes, and rouge-lites (using the terminology of Cellar Door Games).

What game would you reccomend?

\/\/\/ I would edit that typo, but why the gently caress bother :v:

V!ntar fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 11, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

V!ntar posted:

I also love Rouge-likes, and rouge-lites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s19K2QVRHKg

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

V!ntar posted:

I'm a huge fan of action RPGs that tend to be more action than RPGs, like Dark Souls, Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands, etc.

I also love Rouge-likes, and rouge-lites (using the terminology of Cellar Door Games).

You mentioned Cellar Door Games, so I'm guessing you've heard of Rogue Legacy? If not it's a pretty solid platformer RPG rogue-lite.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Galick posted:

I did request bullshit dungeon crawlers specifically. I'm an SMT boy after all :v:

How much bullshit? Even the worst SMT is pretty tame compared to the old-school dungeon crawlers.

The most bullshit dungeon crawlers ever are Wizardry 4 and Deathlord. Only the maddest of masochists dare play them, especially without a walkthrough.

Coming up after that are the Bard's Tale games, 2 and 3 especially. While nowhere near as evil as Wiz4 or Deathlord 2's dungeons are unimaginably cruel, and 3's enemy scaling is horrendously painful. 1 is pretty darn tough too, and probably the best of the series.

If you want a little bit less bullshit but still hard, go for Wizardry 6 and 7. Those are tough dungeon crawlers but with a lot of great content. Wizardry 8 is good too, but much smaller and tamer.

Honorable mentions go to the Gold Box series of RPGs, which use all the AD&D 1E rules that every sane DM ignored in P&P campaigns during its heyday.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Any recommendations for a good multiplayer game that's not just an "everyone has a machine gun FPS"?

I've been playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and having tons of fun with it, but there's not a whole lot to it after a while. I'm not even totally against guns, but I'm trying to avoid the overdone settings and the small maps etc. It doesn't have to be FPS either! Stuff like Dota and Smite totally grab me but been there done that.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Mount & Blade: Warband has some pretty excellent multiplayer, particularly with the Napoleonic DLC which makes everything more about muskets and cannons rather than swords and shields.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

The Royal Scrub posted:

Any recommendations for a good multiplayer game that's not just an "everyone has a machine gun FPS"?

I've been playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and having tons of fun with it, but there's not a whole lot to it after a while. I'm not even totally against guns, but I'm trying to avoid the overdone settings and the small maps etc. It doesn't have to be FPS either! Stuff like Dota and Smite totally grab me but been there done that.

If you've played Global Agenda, FireFall's PvP is pretty much more of that. Still lots of guns, but they tend to be more unique, with the added element of vertical movement and other elements. I don't like the setting myself (the characters look godawful stupid) but the gameplay is decent enough.

I second Mount & Blade: Warband as well; I haven't played MP in a while so I don't know how popular it still is, but it's pretty drat fun. The Napoleonic Wars DLC in particular grabbed me for much longer than Chivalry did, thanks to much more interesting (and bigger) maps, cavalry, cannons and so on. Standard Warband MP is not bad either, and I'm guessing cRPG is still popular if you want some kind of progression/customization system.

Guns of Icarus Online, which I haven't played myself, looks to be an extremely unique competitive MP experience.

I'm guessing you're not interested in co-op, but that is where a lot of different concepts for MP can be found.

Grecotch Unicycle
Oct 6, 2012

In perpetual motion sickness.

V!ntar posted:

\/\/\/ I would edit that typo, but why the gently caress bother :v:

Overlooked title for PS2: McFarlane's Evil Prophecy. Very actiony, not as hardcore as Dark Souls or roguelikes and is very linear, but has a crapload of action. You seamlessly control four characters at once and the gameplay feels like a cross between Dynasty Warriors and Diablo.

It got terrible reviews, but if you can find it cheap, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. There's also Neverwinter (the MMO).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wish there were more games about campy 60's-70's spy culture (think Austin Powers movies). The only ones I know of are Evil Genius (My favorite game!) and No One Lives Forever 1/2.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 12, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Likewise. Evil Genius is a masterpiece and every time I play a game similar to it (like Prison Architect), I just think why someone can't make Evil Genius 2 or something akin to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Liberatore posted:

If you've played Global Agenda, FireFall's PvP is pretty much more of that. Still lots of guns, but they tend to be more unique, with the added element of vertical movement and other elements. I don't like the setting myself (the characters look godawful stupid) but the gameplay is decent enough.

I second Mount & Blade: Warband as well; I haven't played MP in a while so I don't know how popular it still is, but it's pretty drat fun. The Napoleonic Wars DLC in particular grabbed me for much longer than Chivalry did, thanks to much more interesting (and bigger) maps, cavalry, cannons and so on. Standard Warband MP is not bad either, and I'm guessing cRPG is still popular if you want some kind of progression/customization system.

Guns of Icarus Online, which I haven't played myself, looks to be an extremely unique competitive MP experience.

I'm guessing you're not interested in co-op, but that is where a lot of different concepts for MP can be found.

I only ever got into the single player with M&B, so maybe cRPG and Napoleonic Wars deserve a shot. cRPG sounds pretty cool especially for its progression like you're saying, I'm just worried it's dated or dead.

And I'd love an exception, but MMO PvP always seems tacked on and lovely. Open world PvP should be the poo poo but it never is, and then of course there's the balance issues and grindy power gaps.

I'll report back, I might find something good from the Steam sale too.