Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Wolpertinger posted:

That would be a clever murder technique - as a group runs into their door, throw a bracelet in after them just before the door shuts. Take out three birds with one stone!

I think you mean five birds. The group with the missing bracelet would be unable to get through their secondary doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

I think you mean five birds. The group with the missing bracelet would be unable to get through their secondary doors.

Also, the one actually throwing the bracelet might not make it into his/her door. Meaning potentially everyone could die. :v:

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

John Lee posted:

Hey, I've heard China referred to as the Middle Kingdom several times; it's certainly uncommon, but not unheard of in English.

Of course, it's likely a translated loan phrase (or whatever the hell the term is) from Japanese anyways.

It's called a calque. Ironically, the English word "calque" is a loan word, while the English phrase "loan word" is a calque. :eng101: Also, I think "Middle Kingdom" is a calque of the Chinese name for China, which also literally translates that way and in fact uses the same characters as the Japanese name, just pronounced differently.

Anyway, the translation in that bit is slightly awkward, but that's not so important if it's all supposed to be a joke. Overall I think the translation here is mostly pretty solid, even when it takes liberties.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Terper posted:

Also, the one actually throwing the bracelet might not make it into his/her door. Meaning potentially everyone could die. :v:

This is actually a surprisingly efficient way to break the game entirely in an instant - even if you and your match-ups survived, you could do a single AB game, tops - after that, you'd have randomized bracelets and your pairs would be most likely all trapped forever between the primary and the secondary doors forever, so everyone left would die when you needed to enter a chromatic door again.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Wolpertinger posted:

This is actually a surprisingly efficient way to break the game entirely in an instant - even if you and your match-ups survived, you could do a single AB game, tops - after that, you'd have randomized bracelets and your pairs would be most likely all trapped forever between the primary and the secondary doors forever, so everyone left would die when you needed to enter a chromatic door again.

The bracelets that the dead people were wearing would come off, and you'd be able to collect them and distribute them as necessary so the survivors could go through doors. There would just be a lot of automatic alliances because so few people would be voting.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.

Nidoking posted:

The bracelets that the dead people were wearing would come off, and you'd be able to collect them and distribute them as necessary so the survivors could go through doors. There would just be a lot of automatic alliances because so few people would be voting.

I think the problem Wolpertinger was pointing to was the fact that the doors only unlock if a puzzle's solved, so even if the bracelets come off, they're still stuck between the doors.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

I think the problem Wolpertinger was pointing to was the fact that the doors only unlock if a puzzle's solved, so even if the bracelets come off, they're still stuck between the doors.

I fail to see how this would be the case, three people aren't necessary to solve the puzzles. Unless I misinterpreted what you're saying.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

RefinedUndefined posted:

I fail to see how this would be the case, three people aren't necessary to solve the puzzles. Unless I misinterpreted what you're saying.

If you were to kill people with spare-bracelet-shenanigans just before the primary doors closed, the puzzle that they were to do would not be completed; therefor the door would remain locked and the bracelets would be trapped. Then the next time the bracelets are randomized, the survivors become (for example) three singles, one person as one half of a certain pair color, and another person as one half of another pair color. Nobody can go through doors, nobody gets to vote in the next AB round, everyone loses.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It would be simple enough to set up a fail-safe for an event like that, where all appropriate Chromatic Doors unlock when voting is complete, whether the puzzles have been solved or not.

Of course, there's no reason to assume such a fail-safe is in place. The only reason to find out is to test it. :getin:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Edit: Nevermind, misunderstood the post I was replying to.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 4, 2013

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

whitehelm posted:

There already is. When the following AB round finishes anyone stuck in between doors dies because none of that group voted.

I think he more means the failsafe being needed with them being stuck between doors, dead, and no one is able to get their bracelets, as the chromatic doors only become unlocked after the completion of the puzzle that they never reached - so the bracelets are trapped between the two doors, and this prevents any future people paired with those bracelets from going through any future chromatic doors, leading to every single remaining person dying.

As far as I can tell, if ANY person or group gets stuck in the chromatic doors for not enough or too many bracelets, even just a single person, it could easily cause a chain reaction that would kill off all the other people too - from that point on every single person part of a pair or a matching solo with anyone who's trapped in the chromatic doors will die. They can't get the three bracelets needed to enter another door, dooming them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Wolpertinger posted:

Why go through all that trouble when you could get the exact same result by just, say, jumping out of the airlock a second before the primary door closes. Your two companions get stuck between the primary and secondary doors, you get penalized, and soon everyone else is dead too.

Still having a bit of trouble seeing what the point of that would be, though...

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Having just finished the game I can now read and post in this thread :v: Glad to see an LP of this game being done, primarily because I played the EU version and as such missed out on the Dick Van Dyke level 'Cockney' accent of G-OLM. I also did all the puzzles on hard with occasional FAQ help for some strange reason - having seen all the Easy dialogue I missed I'm now kicking myself...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Consternation]

No... This isn't real...

I knelt down beside Alice's body and pressed a shaking hand to her throat.

No pulse.

Her skin had already turned pale.

The thing in front of me looked like a human being, but it wasn't being a human any longer.

Why had this happened?

I clenched my fist, took one last breath, and turned.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

I was looking for Quark on floor B and couldn't find him.
So I came back here and... Well, you know the rest.

You better not be thinking I did it!

Well, suspicion often falls on the first to discover a crime.

She'd already been murdered when I got here!

How do you know she was murdered?

What...? C'mon, it's obvious.

Does that look like an accident or a suicide to you?

How do you know the weapon was a knife?

What...?

All you can see from here is the handle.
For all you know, it could have been an ice pick or some kind of tool.

W-Well, yeah, I guess that's true...

But, I mean, c'mon... Who wouldn't look at that and assume it's a knife?

If you wanna be like that, then the last person to see Alice is the person you should be looking at!

Who was the last person to see her?

This wasn't supposed to happen...
You promised me we'd catch them together...
Don't do this...

Clover...

I'll find out who killed you, and I'll...
I'll...

Hey, Clover.

Don't you talk to me!
I'm sorry, Alice...

Clover! Come back!

Even if you caught up to her, she'd never tell you anything.

...?

Think it through. There are two possibilities.
Either Clover killed her, or she didn't.
If the former is true, then I doubt she would confess. If the latter is true, then I imagine she'll be just as reticent.
After all, Alice and Clover seemed to know eachother. In fact, they seemed quite close.
It seems safe to assume that Clover is currently very suspicious of all of us.
I doubt she would open up to anyone right now.

Did you do it?

Not again...
Well, if you really want to suspect me, please, go ahead.
I'm beginning to feel rather accustomed to it.
I would ask you to consider my motive for killing Alice-- specifically, the fact that I have none.

Well, yes, but none of us do.
None of us have ever met Alice before, right? So why would we want to kill her?

But only if the murder had a motive beyond, well, murder.

What do you mean?

Do you remember when we found the old woman?
It seemed clear that her killer was Zero Sr., and that they were one of us.
There is every reason to think the same person murdered Alice.
Perhaps this person plans to kill us one by one.

Perhaps the only reason we are here is so that Zero Sr. can kill us at his leisure, in a world of his own creation.

Wh-Why would anyone do such a horrible thing...?

Presumably because they enjoy killing.
Zero Sr. seems to be rather... disturbed.

Hold on a minute.
That doesn't mean they're one of us.
There could be a tenth person hiding out somewhere--

Well, why not?

There's no way Zero Jr. wouldn't notice that.
And if he did notice?
I really don't think he'd just let something like that slide.

But isn't Zero Jr. just an AI without a body? What could he do?

Maybe, but Zero Sr. has a body.
Do you really think they'd really just let a tenth, unwanted participant just run around, murdering people?

Well, what if the tenth person is Zero Sr.?

Do you remember? He made it quite clear that the real Zero was one of us.

Dio?
Luna?
K, perhaps?
Or maybe Clover?
There was always Tenmyouji...

Wait a minute...
There was one person I'd forgotten...

It seemed like a bit of a stretch to think a kid could kill someone of Alice's size, though.

That meant there were five real suspects.
Dio, Luna, K, Clover and Tenmyouji...
Hmm.

Where had Quark gone?

All players please enter your votes.
If no vote is recorded before the deadline has passed, any non-voting parties will automatically ally.

A blunt but effective way to make the point.

What do you mean?

We should get to the warehouse.
It seems clear he feels no compunction about killing us, should we disobey the rules.
As such, I recommend we follow them.

I'll find out who did this to you...
I promise...

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Probably Tenmyouji and Clover.

Wasn't he a pair?
Doesn't Quark need to go with him?

As long as one person in each pair is there, it should be okay.

Sharing their destiny, huh?

Pretty much.

After all, you're a pair, but your partner is...

Well, I'd rather not say it.

Yeah... I know.

What? I don't understand what you mean...

Well, if Alice was still alive, you'd have a hard time choosing "betray".

If you'd picked "betray" you could have killed her.

'Course, that's not really a problem now...

I would have chosen "ally" regardless.
I mean... Sigma's going to be my opponent.

Really...?

Oh ho! This is interesting!
If one of you guys picks "betray", we are gonna get a show!

Dio!

You even gotta ask? "Ally". Of course.
Right, Phi?

I don't know about that. It's a difficult question.

What...?

But it's not as simple as just choosing "betray" either.

If K decides to ally for some reason, then you'd end up with 9 points.

Seems easy to me.

You're planning on betraying me, aren't you Dio?
As soon as you go through that door, it will be only the two of you in that room.
I've no doubt you could overpower Phi, if you had the desire to.

Give me a little credit!
No one has more gentlepoints than me. You think someone of my stature would resort to violence?! The nerve!

What...?

This is just a thought, but... Why don't all of you promise to choose "betray"?
Then you wouldn't have to worry about anything?

If you knew the other person was going to betray you, you'd have no choice but to do the same...

That seems pretty... negative for you, Luna.

Nothing to apologize for. We appreciate your suggestion, and we'll take it into consideration.
But unfortunately I don't think it's a very good idea.
See, my goal is to beat this game.

Maybe that wasn't the best way to put it.
When I say I want to beat it, I mean defeat it, completely.
I want to get us all out of here.

We haven't beat the Nonary Game until we're all out of this place.
I guess we won't all be getting out anymore, though...

Oh... You mean Alice...

Yeah...

At any rate, all of us choosing "betray" every time is hardly ideal.
We'd never escape.

Then what are you going to do?

Hmm...
K needs to choose "ally". It's the only way.

How will you make sure I do that?
I have no guarantee that you'll choose "ally" as well.

Would you do it if I could give you that guarantee?

Well, yes, I suppose so.

You promise?

Yes.

Good. Let's do this.

Huh?

There's someone behind you.

[Music fades out]

You bitch!
Goddamnit, Phi!
Open this loving door!

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

gently caress!

Invalid pair detected.
Please retry with valid partner.
Members of a pair cannot vote in separate rooms.

Why the gently caress not?!
This is against the rules!
How am I supposed to vote?!

Guh... This is bullshit!

Dio can't vote now, so the chance that Phi will chose "ally" just went way up.
After all, if you pick "ally" and she betrays you, then...

Dio will have 9 points.

Exactly.

But don't you think Phi might be worried that K will break his promise?

After all, if he can be pretty sure that Phi is going to choose "ally", then...

You needn't worry.
Her plan is very clever. I will definitely choose "ally".

We don't have much time left.
Let's go.

Okay.

Hm?

Of course.
We both have 5 BP right now.
Even if I did betray you, I'd only get 3 points. That's not enough to escape.
So I'd have to wait until the next round anyway.

Oh... I see...

...Huh?

Oh, nothing. Never mind.

Anyway, you promised!
You have to choose "ally"!

Right. I will.

VLR OST: [Ambidexterity]

Now, what am I going to do...?
Well, I guess there isn't really any question.
After all, I promised Luna I'd pick "ally".
But...
What if she was lying to me?

Ten seconds remain until Ambidex Game polling closes.
Nine... Eight... Seven...
Six... Five... Four...

Do we trust Luna?

Better get voting.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

quote:

Well we know now that a year has done nothing to help Clover's mental instability :v::black101:

I'm almost positive we're about to get betrayed the hell out but it's probably better to ally anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given Luna's innocent puppy personality and neither of us reaching 9, I can't see a reason this vote isn't pretty much a replicant test. Will you kick the puppy?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well we know now that a year has done nothing to help Clover's mental instability :v::black101:

I'm almost positive we're about to get betrayed the hell out but it's probably better to ally anyway.

Also another example of "very inappropriate idle expressions for Clover."

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So what's the mindfuck hook for this one? 999 had the idea of passing on information through the collective unconscious, but either I haven't been playing close enough attention or it hasn't come up yet for this one.

Also, I don't think we've seen any hatchets yet. So Clover can't kill everyone!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

So what's the mindfuck hook for this one? 999 had the idea of passing on information through the collective unconscious, but either I haven't been playing close enough attention or it hasn't come up yet for this one.

So far we've got psychotic AIs and the possibility of snatchers/replicants, but that's about it so far.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Phi's plan was pretty clever, but it would have been better if she made K promise to outside as well, as then he would default to Ally and there's no worries that he'll betray her.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Phi's plan was pretty clever, but it would have been better if she made K promise to outside as well, as then he would default to Ally and there's no worries that he'll betray her.

He'd die if he couldn't get in to vote.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Zyla posted:

He'd die if he couldn't get in to vote.

Only if both teams don't vote. If one of the two abstain they just default to Ally.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Male Man posted:

Only if both teams don't vote. If one of the two abstain they just default to Ally.

quote:

Not voting is not an hoption.
If both parties refuse to vote...
...then everybunny gets penalized!
In other words, one person out of every color group of three has to vote.

Ah, you're correct.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I can't wait to see how this AB Game shakes out. I guess you could say it is truly...

Hare-raising :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

I can't wait to see how this AB Game shakes out. I guess you could say it is truly...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Instant Grat posted:

That pun was very lepooridae.

...I'll see myself out.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

:iamafag:

I hope you guys choose Ally. There is really no reason to betray her other than to be a dick.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There should be a no-brainer for this choice - there's no point to either of them betraying, as said. Looks like we're well on our way to allying, and Luna'd look like a colossal tool if she betrayed. And that was pretty clever of Phi, actually, I'm impressed.

More concerning is Tenmyouji and Clover. I think we're most likely looking at a double betray situation here - Clover's too suspicious not to do it, and Tenmyouji both wants to save himself and prevent Clover from winning.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'd bet a ton of fake dollars that Luna's gonna betray here.

Because it makes way too much sense for her to Ally.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

The timing would be pretty tight - once she's in the room, she has no way to stop him going into his own room. I doubt Dio would let K in, but then, like Dio says, he's unlikely to be a physical match for someone of K's stature.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
She's totally going to betray now, thanks Sigma for saying that "I'll have to wait until next time to betray you" line that made you look like a total dick. I still voted ally though. I say let Sigma be honest and make her look really bad!

Speaking of screwing everyone over, Fedule, are you going to pull a Dragonatrix and show off all the endings?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Skunkrocker posted:

She's totally going to betray now, thanks Sigma for saying that "I'll have to wait until next time to betray you" line that made you look like a total dick. I still voted ally though. I say let Sigma be honest and make her look really bad!

I understood that line to mean that, with 5 BP, betraying won't help him get out any quicker - 2 rounds of ally/ally and he'll be out, and it's the same for Luna. Betrayal will only serve to cause people to distrust him - ally/ally or betray/ally, he's still one round away from the magic 9.

Maybe orenronen can shed some light on how it was worded in the original Japanese version...

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 6, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I understood that line to mean that, with 5 BP, betraying won't help him get out any quicker - 2 rounds of ally/ally and he'll be out, and it's the same for Luna. Betrayal will only serve to cause people to distrust him - ally/ally or betray/ally, he's still one round away from the magic 9.

I'm pretty sure this is what he meant - he has to wait until next round to escape even if he gets the extra 1 BP from betraying, so there's no logical point to doing it. It sort of avoids him stating his actual opinion on the matter, but then, we as the players are controlling his actions - the game could make him totally gung-ho "Ally" and we tap "Betray", and that's that.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nidoking posted:

The timing would be pretty tight - once she's in the room, she has no way to stop him going into his own room. I doubt Dio would let K in, but then, like Dio says, he's unlikely to be a physical match for someone of K's stature.

If K is going to Ally, he has no reason to push past Sigma and Dio, as he's going to default to that anyway, and it only makes him look untrustworthy, even if he's still going to Ally. If he's going to betray, then...not having him stay outside doesn't change anything. He went in the room, so he can still betray. At the very least, making him promise to stay outside at least gives the possibility that Dio and Sigma could keep him contained for just long enough for him to default to Ally and be unable to betray.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, I have decided that Dio is the killer. He is just such an rear end in a top hat and his words reek of lies.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

If K is going to Ally, he has no reason to push past Sigma and Dio, as he's going to default to that anyway, and it only makes him look untrustworthy, even if he's still going to Ally. If he's going to betray, then...not having him stay outside doesn't change anything. He went in the room, so he can still betray. At the very least, making him promise to stay outside at least gives the possibility that Dio and Sigma could keep him contained for just long enough for him to default to Ally and be unable to betray.

Even if Sigma and Dio together can match K's strength, and that's no guarantee (who knows what superhuman technology that suit might contain?), that requires Sigma to wait outside the room, which he hasn't agreed to do - and also tips Dio off that Phi doesn't plan to let him into the AB Room with her, which you might have noticed he wasn't too thrilled about. She had to act quickly to catch him by surprise - asking him to wait outside the room would probably have sent HIM running straight for the door to lock her out. It may make sense if you ignore every other person aside from Phi and K, but that's a lot of factors to ignore.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Medieval Medic posted:

Yeah, I have decided that Dio is the killer. He is just such an rear end in a top hat and his words reek of lies.

It's way too obvious, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sigma can't wait outside the room because he's the player character.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Plus there's basically no benefit from being the first person to 9 points. K could still get out fairly easily if they tried to stop him, but I doubt he'd want to be in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Plus there's basically no benefit from being the first person to 9 points. K could still get out fairly easily if they tried to stop him, but I doubt he'd want to be in that position.

I'd say there's a huge incentive to be the first person to 9.

Even if YOU want to wait for extra rounds for more people to win there's still no guarantee that other people feel the same way, and the only way to be completely safe is if you hit 9 first.

And you can't really blame people for wanting to exit the game as quickly as possible considering:

1) You can lose points, so you might lose your option of leaving.
2) The Nonary game is explicitly deadly. Making a mistake on the rules could get you killed.
3) Somebody just got murdered like.. 5 minutes ago
4) The mastermind is probably participating plus maybe a replicant.

Yeah the optimal Nonary Game (Ambidex Ed) solution is to wait for everyone to hit 9 BP, but the optimal solution to the Ambidex game was relentless Ally-Ally pairs and that sure as hell didn't happen.

Also I don't really think restraining people comes into it much, grappling ANYBODY for 40 minutes at a time sounds pretty difficult.

• Locked thread