Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Now I'm starting to feel bad at getting three teals and two universal toolkits out of the silver boxes. Granted I usually just get the metal scraps, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Just a couple of days ago I got 50 Mithril Coins out of the hobbit present. It's not all bad but I do agree that there could be better items coming out of the system.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Since it seems a lot of people are leaving the game, does anyone want to unload their account? I'm pretty sure SA still frowns upon MMO account sales, so there'd probably have to be no money involved. I recall someone a while back giving away theirs and I still regret not pouncing on it when I had a chance. I'm mainly interested in high level characters from any class other than Burglar, Captain, Guardian and Hunter, as I have those classes at 85, 85, 67, and 59 respectively.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So they turned on the Treasure Hunt event and it lasts until the 30th. The timing of this (the last four days of Q2) suggests that they had to do something to get their login numbers looking better before the end of the fiscal quarter. I doubt Hobbit Presents had the effect that they desired, since most people think they're a waste of time.

I was a little excited to check out a festival that I've never participated in before, but within 10 minutes I saw it for what it is, another attempted money grab by Turbine. They give you 10 Treasure Hunter picks to start, but after you've used those you only get 4 every 15 minutes (and to get two of those four you have to do a "collect 5 items" quest where you're competing with other players). The only other way to get picks is to (you guessed it) buy them on the Turbine Store! 50 TP each or 200 TP for five. The only rewards worth anything are the three mounts, two of which you can't barter for and the third you can get for 1000 tokens, which probably requires you to sit on your rear end for the entire four day festival period and/or buy lots of picks with TP, which is probably exactly how Turbine intended for it to be.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 27, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you're going to do the Treasure Hunt event, there is a really handy plugin that makes it easier to figure out when you should be digging, plus has a timer on the free pick event.

Last time they did the Treasure Hunt it took me about 4 hours to get the hilariously ugly Cave Claw horse, but it's a 68% horse so I was happy.

(plugin)
http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info694-Rich.html

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I used that plugin and waited to use cave-claws for when a round was over 3 or 4 minutes and the field of dig sites was thinned out a bit. I got 5 huge dig sites within about 2 hours, but none of them gave me a mount. Some people are reporting getting both treasure chest mounts within a couple tries. I'm at like 9 huge sites found so far and haven't got a single mount yet. I only have about 280 tokens so I'm also well shy of the 1000 needed for the goat.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
There's a couple of specials running through July 4th that everyone should be aware of:

5 Free Mithril Coins! Use code "COIN5".

Wildermore is on sale for 636TP, which is 20% off.

Thanks to that, I finally broke down and bought it, even though I only just started Hytbold dailies on my main a little over a week ago. I have no idea if I'm sufficiently motivated to endure yet another lengthy grind of dailies before HD comes out.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

Thanks to that, I finally broke down and bought it, even though I only just started Hytbold dailies on my main a little over a week ago. I have no idea if I'm sufficiently motivated to endure yet another lengthy grind of dailies before HD comes out.

I did about 10 days of dailies in Wildermore and couldn't handle it anymore, this is after doing the full 51 day Hytbold grind for a gear set + completion.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I think I unlocked the gear set for my main, and did a handful more toward completion. I haven't even done halfway into Limelight rep (or unlocking that gear ever), and I'm going to pretend there isn't any new gear to get in Wildermore and just run instances. Hytbold really burned me out on dailies for sure. The dailies themselves weren't bad (I liked the jumping ones) but the pointlessness of unlocking gear sets in a disorganized way was a bit annoying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How is the Epic in Wildermore? I've contemplated hopping on Paksigue a few times and if it's decent I might go give it a run through.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If anyone still doesn't have Riders of Rohan they're doing a 50% off sale on every edition July 4th through the 7th, after which they won't be selling the Heroic or Legendary editions anymore. My guess is we'll be hearing preorder info for Helm's Deep within the next few days.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There's also a sale on Steam for the Rohan Heroic Edition pack as well if you want to go that route.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Looks like the Silverlode guild (and server) are pretty much deserted at the moment. Is there a more active server with a goon-friendly guild that would accept a new character? Not really interested in shelling out money for a transfer.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So, is this game essentially done? I logged back onto Brandywine after a lengthy hiatus to find the pubbie fellowship that my characters were in had disbanded. Popped onto Silverlode thinking of making a new character there and a /who nazgun came up with no results.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Hello Sailor posted:

Looks like the Silverlode guild (and server) are pretty much deserted at the moment. Is there a more active server with a goon-friendly guild that would accept a new character? Not really interested in shelling out money for a transfer.

Well you're in luck, because you can't transfer even if you wanted to. Character transfer service has been unavailable for a couple years now.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
A lot of people (including myself) are on summer vacations so there's a lot of people not on.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I also wouldn't be shocked if each year the next Hobbit movies bring a new mini-rush.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've been playing other games. GOG's recent sale netted me a dozen or so titles I've wanted to go through and replay/finally beat for the first time (Betrayal at Krondor).

As long as turbine doesn't gently caress something up the game should get active around the time of the next Hobbit movie and whenever the hell Helm's Deep comes out at the least.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been logging in most days for a present and to see how my key trading is going.

I don't log onto any of my Nazgun characters, though, because there's never anyone on (I am part of the problem)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Oxphocker posted:

A lot of people (including myself) are on summer vacations so there's a lot of people not on.

In my case I'm wrapping up summer semester while preparing for fall semester so I'm able to be on for just a few moments here and there until I hit that gap between semesters.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
After grinding 5 characters to 85 and all of them through the new Wildermore content I hit a burnout wall. I'm just taking a break for a while, loving around with the goons in STO. I'll be back, just taking a break.

And, yeah... I guess I'm also part of the problem. (Quinnon btw)

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
Actually... Last night on Brandywine was the most fun and the busiest I've seen it in a good while. In the moors at one point we were fighting creep raid + nearly 20 gold tags against a freep raid and 3 freep groups of about 8-12 each. Right now I think it's really just summer, the end of this bit of content with a new expansion coming up next fall and somewhat the roads Turbine seems hellbent on taking. It's always quiet around this time of year though.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I haven't been logging much lately either. My colleagues introduced me to league of legends and it's pretty fun. I've also tried Rift since it went f2p and I gotta say the class system is much more dynamic.

I will probably log back when the next expansion hit, hopeful it will be good.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I've been really busy with an internship and trying to finish up the last 12 credits of my program at school. That combined with the burnout from leveling characters and the back-to-back Hytbold and Wildermore daily grinds pushed me into taking a break. LOTRO (and maybe MMOs in general) always have a slow period during the summer, but this year seems especially slow probably thanks to there being almost no end-game for Riders of Rohan. People are also tired of doing the same exact festivals every year so there wasn't much of a spike in activity for the recent ones. There was a pretty big amount of new players that were drawn in after the first Hobbit movie, but populations seem to be lower than ever right now. Turbine really needs to get their server issues under control and put out a home run of an expansion with Helm's Deep.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My laptop is broken again so until I manage to get the time to get that repaired I won't be on. I refuse to let this game go dead before I hit level cap though so I suppose I'd better pull my finger out.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I usually go through cycles where I play really intently for a few weeks and then get bored and don't touch it for months. I wouldn't be surprised if other people did something similar.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I left for a while to play other games, but I came back yesterday to complete the push from 82 to 85. I don't know what I'm going to do once I've had my fill of Hytbold.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, I dropped off the face of the earth to play other games for a while too. Most recently Dark Souls. I'll come back, though. I always come back.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Turbine shouldn't have done a Hytbold daily grind followed by a Wildermore daily grind. That's what has me taking time off. I hope they learn from this if they want me to stick around.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

JFC posted:

Turbine shouldn't have done a Hytbold daily grind followed by a Wildermore daily grind. That's what has me taking time off. I hope they learn from this if they want me to stick around.

No kidding. I couldn't even get more than 10 days through the Wildermore grind after doing Hytbold for 51 days. I haven't played WoW in over 4 years but I remember the dailies there actually being somewhat fun, not stuff that makes me want to stop logging in like LOTRO has. Unfortunately this is probably the new end-game, given that Turbine doesn't seem to want to devote the time/money into creating new raids anymore, and it'll lead to even lower population numbers. What's the point of gearing up your character through dailies if there's no group content to use the gear in?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I did log in to pay my overdue housing upkeep, so there's that.

I almost would say that Turbine should pull a GW2 idea and make top-level gear moderately difficult to get and then make the grind for pretty princess items/dyes the endgame, especially since they don't have another coherent idea of how to structure the endgame.

I'm guessing we'll be hearing tomorrow about the expansion some more. There was this: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?517321-Twenty-Questions-with-the-LOTRO-Dev-Team-July-2013 the other day, which had some interesting tidbits (the licensing situation and some PvMP stuff).

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I stopped playing in April or so because I got swamped with school work, and also hit a burnout wall like Quinnon did (I've got 4 85's.) Add that to summertime, Steam backlog, etc. and it's a recipe for not playing for a long time. I'll log in to pay my house upkeep and probably to get the Helm's Deep expansion but not much after that.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
gently caress Turbine, and gently caress WB Games.

I cancelled my monthly subscription in February (got the confirmation e-mail) and just checked my bank records to find they had reactivated the subscription plan without my knowledge or my input and have been charging my account each month since then. What the gently caress. Currently submitting an angry ticket to their Account to get this shitshow sorted and begun the process of disputing the charges with my bank. By the looks of things I am not the only one, what sort of company is this?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

I did log in to pay my overdue housing upkeep, so there's that.

I almost would say that Turbine should pull a GW2 idea and make top-level gear moderately difficult to get and then make the grind for pretty princess items/dyes the endgame, especially since they don't have another coherent idea of how to structure the endgame.

I'm guessing we'll be hearing tomorrow about the expansion some more. There was this: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?517321-Twenty-Questions-with-the-LOTRO-Dev-Team-July-2013 the other day, which had some interesting tidbits (the licensing situation and some PvMP stuff).

They'll have to make something else the end-game if people aren't going to need gear for raids anymore. Cosmetics and dyes would be a decent idea, I know there's a lot of people that go crazy over playing dress up with their characters. Maybe some people would still be motivated to max out their gear even if there's no new raids, but I'm not one of them. Having cosmetics and dyes as end-game items may be something Turbine doesn't want to do however, because they'd probably rather sell them on the store.

I just logged in and the launcher said I hadn't been on for a week. I guess the 8-9 months of logging in almost daily finally caught up to me. I think it's probably best to take a breather until Helm's Deep comes out otherwise I'll be feeling even more burnt out when it releases.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I haven't logged into LOTRO in some time. (a year?) I really like the game, but got distracted with other ones. If I start this up again, I'll want to find a server with goons on it to play.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
I haven't played in a year or more either. Have they made any (positive) changes to the in-game music system at all? That was always my favourite part. I have so many ABC's I made....

It always used to get badly out of sync last I played, made multi-part songs rather hard to pull off :(

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Music system is largely the same as it always has been.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Bummer

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011
I haven't been regularly playing in awhile either. Kinda burnt out and irritated that a game takes that long to load (even though I have accepted that for years now).

Am I the only one who does not like mounted combat? Last I played I was in East Rohan and the epic seemed to involve mounted combat more. Does the epic line require it later or can someone get by without it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Plastic Paws posted:

I haven't been regularly playing in awhile either. Kinda burnt out and irritated that a game takes that long to load (even though I have accepted that for years now).

Am I the only one who does not like mounted combat? Last I played I was in East Rohan and the epic seemed to involve mounted combat more. Does the epic line require it later or can someone get by without it?

It's not even that it's required, it just makes everything trivial. There's a section in the eaves of fangorn that is foot only as well.

• Locked thread