Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

waah posted:

This is just a convienient excuse.

Well, that's what Jeff Gerstman hinted at, right? And he actually got in touch with some SoA people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well, that's what Jeff Gerstman hinted at, right? And he actually got in touch with some SoA people.

Full credit to the fan translators, but if SoA is honestly saying they can't do any better so :effort:, they've got problems.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

May as well get in now, seeing as the NA release is on indefinite hold. We have 90+ people in Nol Vacancy, and there are a sizeable group of pubs who speak english.

Most of those pubs are people you will wish you didn't understand.

All they told him was that it was still delayed. The fan translation thing was just a guess on his part, and he explicitly said this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Most of those pubs are people you will wish you didn't understand.

All they told him was that it was still delayed. The fan translation thing was just a guess on his part.

Yes, the hitler, rape, and racist SAs are things that I could definitely do without. I hate dumb pubs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yes, the hitler, rape, and racist SAs are things that I could definitely do without. I hate dumb pubs.

Don't forget the hentai SAs, always a favorite. Or the constant discussion on why "Jap" is a censored word. Or talking in romaji at a first-grade level. Or having public anime weddings.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

more reasons to hate pubs

Don't remind me of why the internet is a bad place. Surely its not just Americans that are this bad, surely there are people from Japan who are horrible excuses for living beings too?

Torquil
Apr 4, 2007
Now with Ecstato-Euphoro-Fun (with Hinder-90)
They probably exist but I have never seen a group of Japanese players speaking in terrible comic book English. I'm also glad Kirby's log has me losing my mind during the pub exchange.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Don't remind me of why the internet is a bad place. Surely its not just Americans that are this bad, surely there are people from Japan who are horrible excuses for living beings too?

Hm, couldn't tell you for sure. I haven't had a lot of interaction with the Japanese players. Aside from the one who whispered me saying I was terrible, there was.. one who joined our party, one of us mentioned we didn't speak Japanese but he was cool with it and helped out till the end and.. the amazing guy in this cut-in, who we watched have a conversation with a friend he hadn't seen in awhile. They mentioned there seemed to be more foreign players lately (as we all crowded around them in awe), but it didn't seem to bother either of them much at all.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Why didn't you ask them about their pinku bento box :colbert:

Also "weebs", haha, I know a few people who use that term.

I do like how Mewnie put effort into making his Autowords dual-language, maybe I should get around to doing that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Cheap Trick posted:

Full credit to the fan translators, but if SoA is honestly saying they can't do any better so :effort:, they've got problems.

There's no doubt they could do better. But I'd assume that there'd be little reason to play on an official English server with an earlier version of the game when there's a more current server with an English patch that has a sizable foreign population.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

There's no doubt they could do better. But I'd assume that there'd be little reason to play on an official English server with an earlier version of the game when there's a more current server with an English patch that has a sizable foreign population.

the people playing the japanese version only take up part of a single ship, and wouldn't even compare to what sega could get putting the game on steam, if they just put forth effort and did it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are the English story patches still being worked on or has whatever changes that have made them totally broken killed them for good?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Are the English story patches still being worked on or has whatever changes that have made them totally broken killed them for good?

I think they got updated just recently, but they're usually the first thing to break.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think they got updated just recently, but they're usually the first thing to break.

They've been doing daily patches, just about, and the old bug that seemed to break everything (it'd freak out when Koffie called you directly) is definitely fixed.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

I play on ship 1, where like 99% of players speak Japanese, and you get a bunch of extremely creepy, irritating, or obnoxious autowords. The worst by far are the ones who do cut-ins for literally everything, so they're spamming you with the image window right in the middle of your field of view. There are also a lot of people with autowords in English that are either totally incomprehensible, or full of hilarious mispellings and mangled grammar. There are also plenty of totally cool people who will hang around after you finish a run to just bullshit about stuff, of course.

VVVVV When I'm maining Ranger, poo poo like that almost makes me stroke out. I'm trying to land a Weak Bullet, you fucks.

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 7, 2013

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Protocol 5 posted:

I play on ship 1, where like 99% of players speak Japanese, and you get a bunch of extremely creepy, irritating, or obnoxious autowords. The worst by far are the ones who do cut-ins for literally everything, so they're spamming you with the image window right in the middle of your field of view. There are also a lot of people with autowords in English that are either totally incomprehensible, or full of hilarious mispellings and mangled grammar. There are also plenty of totally cool people who will hang around after you finish a run to just bullshit about stuff, of course.

Photon no Jutsu!!!!!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

VVVVV When I'm maining Ranger, poo poo like that almost makes me stroke out. I'm trying to land a Weak Bullet, you fucks.

I about had an aneurysm the other day trying to land WB during a falz hand fight, because hands. It took about 10 seconds to get a clear shot, and I finally stuck the shot, only to have some dumbass re-stick the WB to a knuckle or some poo poo that was unbreakable. Queue me raging incoherently about bad pubbies in teamchat.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Dominic White posted:

They've been doing daily patches, just about, and the old bug that seemed to break everything (it'd freak out when Koffie called you directly) is definitely fixed.

Latest story patch includes lyrics to the Encore song. Story patch owns.

Handgun Harlot posted:

Photon no Jutsu!!!!!

Holy poo poo

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Cheap Trick posted:

Holy poo poo

In PSP2 you could only set one autoword per instance, and the phrases people put for when they used Photon Arts.... that, and 80% of the rooms up were people looking for girlfriends/boyfriends.

e: in case andy or goggles speaks up, yes my autowords were also annoying, but at least they were not from anime. :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Handgun Harlot posted:

that, and 80% of the rooms up were people looking for girlfriends/boyfriends.

Last I checked (about 5 weeks ago) there were only two rooms with "LOOKING FOR GF".

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last I checked (about 5 weeks ago) there were only two rooms with "LOOKING FOR GF".

Dang, I didn't even know people were still clinging to PSP2. PSP2I's population dropped off severely less than a year after release, probably because of a monster hunter game or something.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

waah posted:

Word came out a couple days ago about servers opening up sometime early 2014 in south east Asia and special localization/content for them.

Still nothing about a NA/EU release other than "delayed".

Take from that what you will.

Yes, but the SEA release is going to be by Asiasoft so you can expect it to be about as stable as a Jenga tower made out of potatoes, translated about as accurately as if it had originally been in Swahili, and with a player base that wouldn't know its arse from a hole in the ground.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It keeps happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-L_uAgW8-s

Also I am a big dumbass and lost the audio for the recording :v:

Bonus:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Dying is the only appropriate cut-in time.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Suckas without Iron Will.

Cheap Trick posted:

I do like how Mewnie put effort into making his Autowords dual-language, maybe I should get around to doing that.

There's a handy thread on PSO-W with Japanese phrases you can use.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Mm, most of those are alright but some are odd as hell. Here are some useful, more natural-sounding ones you could use in your autowords:

整理行ってくる
gonna sell some poo poo and turn in some COs, I'll brb

回復あり/復活あり
thanks for the heal / thanks for the revive

先に落ちます
this is for when you're leaving the party early. that thread has it a bit off; the typical JP player would use the verb "ochiru", or "to drop/fall", to indicate they're dropping out

おつかれ
say this when the quest is over

お邪魔します/よろしくね
say this when you join in on a party

初心者です。よろしく
I'm new so watch out for me, thanks!

<pos>でEトラ発生
E-trial happening at <pos>

If anyone wants some stuff translated you can post it here or PM me. I helped fix Mewnie's autowords and I will help fix yours up gladly!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Would anyone be willing to give me a brief rundown on the flow of the game? I've never touched a Phantasy Star Online title in my life, and I've just now finished the intro/tutorial mission and even with the translation patch I'm feeling a lack of direction.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I've notice a lot of Japanese players tend to use 抜ける instead of 落ちる to talk about leaving a group, whereas the latter is usually reserved for losing your connection. Not that it really matters.

As for game flow, it's relatively straightforward. You progress through content by hitting certain level thresholds which unlock missions from Coffee. Generally speaking, you will run all the ARKS quests for a particular area, after which you unlock the Free Exploration quest. Completing the Free Exploration quest for an area will let you unlock the next area. When you reach level 20 and level 40 you can do quests to unlock Hard and Very Hard difficulty. Story progression is completely separate from content progression. You progress the story by completing the tasks on matter boards and doing Story quests.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Protocol 5 posted:

I've notice a lot of Japanese players tend to use 抜ける instead of 落ちる to talk about leaving a group, whereas the latter is usually reserved for losing your connection. Not that it really matters.

As for game flow, it's relatively straightforward. You progress through content by hitting certain level thresholds which unlock missions from Coffee. Generally speaking, you will run all the ARKS quests for a particular area, after which you unlock the Free Exploration quest. Completing the Free Exploration quest for an area will let you unlock the next area. When you reach level 20 and level 40 you can do quests to unlock Hard and Very Hard difficulty. Story progression is completely separate from content progression. You progress the story by completing the tasks on matter boards and doing Story quests.

Okay. I've heard that most of the English speakers are on block 20. How do I get there?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Verranicus posted:

Okay. I've heard that most of the English speakers are on block 20. How do I get there?

You don't want to be on block 20. It's a really scary place

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

Verranicus posted:

A lot of the general english speaking contingent of pso2 players congregate on block 20 of ship 2. That being said: most of us aren't terribly fond of block 20 because a lot of the aforementioned group hail from places like the PSO-World forums, 4chan, and reddit.

If you don't mind that then going to the green elevator doors (the most convenient of which are located next to the quest counter) and selecting block 20 from the list you access inside will get you there if it's not full.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Thanks for the language posts, this thread is an education. Hopefully I won't look so ungrateful now when a Japanese player tosses me a heal.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The vast majority of players, Japanese included, never say anything regardless.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, is there an auction house of any kind or should I just be vendoring all the stuff I pick up?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Verranicus posted:

So, is there an auction house of any kind or should I just be vendoring all the stuff I pick up?

You can only sell things on the player shop (accessible through the purple Visiphone consoles in the lobby) if you have premium, or if you get a 3-day shop pass from the FUN Scratch (super rare).

I would just check your items that seem valuable in the player shop and see how much they're going for, then sit on em in storage just in case you ever manage to get a pass.

Chibs fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 7, 2013

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Verranicus posted:

Generally speaking, nothing you find will be worth anything as an item. What you can come across that is worth a lot at low levels are affixes. The special effects on an item like power I, body I, Rockbear Soul, etc. The valuable affixes you can find at low levels are Mizer Soul, Vol Soul, Fang Soul and Gwana Soul. Those ones are sure money, with Mizer being worth the most by far.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Kessel posted:

Mm, most of those are alright but some are odd as hell. Here are some useful, more natural-sounding ones you could use in your autowords:

整理行ってくる
gonna sell some poo poo and turn in some COs, I'll brb

回復あり/復活あり
thanks for the heal / thanks for the revive

先に落ちます
this is for when you're leaving the party early. that thread has it a bit off; the typical JP player would use the verb "ochiru", or "to drop/fall", to indicate they're dropping out

おつかれ
say this when the quest is over

お邪魔します/よろしくね
say this when you join in on a party

初心者です。よろしく
I'm new so watch out for me, thanks!

<pos>でEトラ発生
E-trial happening at <pos>

If anyone wants some stuff translated you can post it here or PM me. I helped fix Mewnie's autowords and I will help fix yours up gladly!

Thank you for this! I really wanted something to help communicate to everyone while playing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How do I get and spend FUN? Also, for some reason the tweaker isn't recognizing that I've got the English patches installed and they're working fine in-game. Is there any way I can fix this?

EDIT: And how would I go about getting an invite to the goon group or whatever?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Verranicus posted:

How do I get and spend FUN? Also, for some reason the tweaker isn't recognizing that I've got the English patches installed and they're working fine in-game. Is there any way I can fix this?

EDIT: And how would I go about getting an invite to the goon group or whatever?

You get FUN everyday just by logging in, and for receiving Good Jobs from other players. You can spend it by going to the AC Scratches section on the menu (there's only one option that lets you spend FUN there), or the FUN shop in the shop district of the ship.

I got the tweaker to find my stuff by just file checking and letting PSO2 fix itself, then allowing the tweaker to install the patches for me. I don't think it can recognize them if installed outside the program very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dj Meow Mix posted:

You get FUN everyday just by logging in, and for receiving Good Jobs from other players. You can spend it by going to the AC Scratches section on the menu (there's only one option that lets you spend FUN there), or the FUN shop in the shop district of the ship.

I got the tweaker to find my stuff by just file checking and letting PSO2 fix itself, then allowing the tweaker to install the patches for me. I don't think it can recognize them if installed outside the program very well.

Weird. Where's the option on the tweaker to install the patches through it, then? All I've seen is the ability to disable intro videos, and it hasn't asked me to install any English patches.

• Locked thread