Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Shroomie posted:

Also freshly downloaded apps that are automatically added to the desktop always have the default icon.

I was so annoyed when Nova added this as a default-on feature. It's already built into Android, why the hell would they add it? Once I found it I immediately disabled it as I have it disabled in the play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

big mean giraffe posted:

I was so annoyed when Nova added this as a default-on feature. It's already built into Android, why the hell would they add it? Once I found it I immediately disabled it as I have it disabled in the play store.
AND it defaults back to on every time I restore it with Titanium Backup. It's the only setting that doesn't stay the way it was previously and it's really annoying.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does anyone actually like that feature? There's already a cluttered grid of apps, it's the app drawer. I don't need that on my phone desktop without any semblance of organization to boot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Because what's the point of having an Android phone if you can't make it exactly like an iPhone? :suicide:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

greatant posted:

I increased icon size to 130% as well as replacing the single battery bar with two battery bars that meet in the middle and turn from a barely visible black to red when battery is low.

How'd you do the battery bar? I've just started messing around with UCCW due to Buzz Launcher, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Does anyone know what font Minimalistic Text uses by default? I want to use it in UCCW.

edit: I think it's just the default, Roboto?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 5, 2013

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Is there any way to customise widgets?

E.g. I have widget for AnkiDroid (flashcards) that shows me how many cards are due to be tested. However it looks pretty average so I was wondering is there anyway to theme the widget or skin it? Or is this something that must be allowed by the developer?

I'm guessing that writing my own widget for another app isn't possible..?

Edit: The more I think about it the less possible this seems.

Xarb fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 5, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Correct. The widget/app maker needs to allow customization for you to be able to do it.

And likewise, unless an app maker puts out the source code (or API?) for their app, you are unlikely yo just "make a widget" for it.

V V V Ok, I guess I should have clarified for the average, "non-programmer" user. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 5, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Correct. The widget/app maker needs to allow customization for you to be able to do it.

And likewise, unless an app maker puts out the source code (or API?) for their app, you are unlikely yo just "make a widget" for it.
Now that's not entirely true. There are plenty of xda'ers that crack open .apks, theme the assets, and repack them. The only problem is that you have to do that every time there's an update to the app.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Actually thinking about it AnkiDroid is open source so I could do it myself.

The rest I'll just have to deal with.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Finally told Touchwiz to take a hike and installed AOKP. The blue line at the top is my battery gauge.

greatant
Oct 17, 2003

hooah posted:

How'd you do the battery bar? I've just started messing around with UCCW due to Buzz Launcher, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing.

I created a widget in UCCW that would be half my screen width and put in a battery bar. Then I created another widget the same size with a battery bar styled the same way, but I used the angle option on the battery bar to rotate it around 180 degrees. Then you place the widgets on your screen so that the bars are touching and it looks like a single line.

It took a few goes to line them up properly but not too hard.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

greatant posted:

I created a widget in UCCW that would be half my screen width and put in a battery bar. Then I created another widget the same size with a battery bar styled the same way, but I used the angle option on the battery bar to rotate it around 180 degrees. Then you place the widgets on your screen so that the bars are touching and it looks like a single line.

It took a few goes to line them up properly but not too hard.

Hmm. I had made a battery bar that was 1x4, but when I stretched it out (Buzz defaults to 12 wide), the bar didn't stretch nearly as much as the resize box did. Any idea why that might be? Also, I've noticed that while you declare a widget's dimensions when you first create it, when you place it, you can choose any size (X by Y), and all widgets are choosable, despite their declared size. Is this useful information, or just an oddity of UCCW?

greatant
Oct 17, 2003

hooah posted:

Hmm. I had made a battery bar that was 1x4, but when I stretched it out (Buzz defaults to 12 wide), the bar didn't stretch nearly as much as the resize box did. Any idea why that might be? Also, I've noticed that while you declare a widget's dimensions when you first create it, when you place it, you can choose any size (X by Y), and all widgets are choosable, despite their declared size. Is this useful information, or just an oddity of UCCW?

1x4 = 1 width x 4 height. You picked the wrong dimensions. I'm not really sure how/when the size chosen affects the widget but it only occasionally seems to matter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

greatant posted:

1x4 = 1 width x 4 height. You picked the wrong dimensions. I'm not really sure how/when the size chosen affects the widget but it only occasionally seems to matter.

Eh, I always get those backwards; the widget was created longer than it is high.

greatant
Oct 17, 2003

Perhaps the appropriate desktop grid size wasn't chosen when first created. In the end you just have to experiment.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm also trying this battery bar thing, but I can't get get rid of the background color for the battery bar. Changing the "Alpha" makes the whole thing transparent.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm putting all my wallpapers on Dropbox now to share with my husband. Thought I'd post the link here in case anyone wants a new wallpaper: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qwmnmcho61rrmi/zNNrAv-OO9

It's a mixed bag and I'm not sure that anyone here will want them but I thought I'd share anyway. They're all pretty high res.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm also trying this battery bar thing, but I can't get get rid of the background color for the battery bar. Changing the "Alpha" makes the whole thing transparent.

I just futzed with the height and vertical position of the background and the meter until they were the same, then made the background transparent.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Should go away if you set the height in control 4 to 0

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Two questions:
-Is there a way to customize my lock screen using Apex? The icons there aren't changed and I can only use the default themed clock.

-Are there ways to customize the Alarm and Light widgets? I use those pretty often but they never match my themes.

e: Solved one of the three.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 8, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Avocados posted:

Two questions:
-Is there a way to customize my lock screen using Apex? The icons there aren't changed and I can only use the default themed clock.

-Are there ways to customize the Alarm and Light widgets? I use those pretty often but they never match my themes.

e: Solved one of the three.

I don't believe Apex (or any other launcher replacement) touches the lockscreen. You'd have to use a different ROM or something like WidgetLocker.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blatantly stole a wallpaper from this thread...

3 Home screens. I'm also running sidebar for my most commonly-used apps. I think I can stop fiddling with it for now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Finally told Touchwiz to take a hike and installed AOKP. The blue line at the top is my battery gauge.

I want your battery bar at the top. Did you make that yourself or is it something sharable?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I want your battery bar at the top. Did you make that yourself or is it something sharable?
PowerLine will do this and more.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

couldcareless posted:

You can also try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tombarrasso.android.batterybar

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is the app that was actually pretty neat until without warning the devs put in tons of push notification adds, claimed they weren't going to do further updates, and released a paid version of the app that made it act like it was before without the ads for :10bux:.

As far as I can tell from reviews this still hasn't been changed in the 7 months it's been since then (holy poo poo that was seven months ago :wtc:), but even if it had been I'd still recommend people avoid that app/developer on principle because that's kind of a lovely thing to do.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Wrist Watch posted:

This is the app that was actually pretty neat until without warning the devs put in tons of push notification adds, claimed they weren't going to do further updates, and released a paid version of the app that made it act like it was before without the ads for :10bux:.

As far as I can tell from reviews this still hasn't been changed in the 7 months it's been since then (holy poo poo that was seven months ago :wtc:), but even if it had been I'd still recommend people avoid that app/developer on principle because that's kind of a lovely thing to do.

No, that was this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pvy.batterybar&feature=search_result

e: wait, I've got it backwards :psyduck: THIS is the good app, the one I linked to earlier is the bad one. Ooops. :saddowns:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah do that.

No seriously I wish I could share but it came in the settings for AOKP.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The curse of not being able to settle onto just one theme is in full effect. I knew this was going to happen.

I still feel like these are "off". I really want to like the green wallpaper but I feel it blends in too much with the icons. Im also debating the amount of icons on-screen.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 8, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably because you are using not-Comic Sans.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Endless Mike posted:

It's probably because you are using not-Comic Sans.

About that, are there any cool font packs that have actually readable fonts? I downloaded a few but they all gave me ad notifications about nonsense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Avocados posted:

About that, are there any cool font packs that have actually readable fonts? I downloaded a few but they all gave me ad notifications about nonsense.

What's wrong with Roboto?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there any reason to use My Data Manager over the stock data usage app that's under settings? I guess the former gives you a widget, but it's pretty ugly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Avocados posted:

The curse of not being able to settle onto just one theme is in full effect. I knew this was going to happen.

I still feel like these are "off". I really want to like the green wallpaper but I feel it blends in too much with the icons. Im also debating the amount of icons on-screen.

I really like this one, if you could get rid of the blue line it would be perfect in my eyes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Avocados posted:

I've never liked any font packs, but I recently flashed the 4.3 system font and I really like the changes they've made to Roboto.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What're the most comprehensive icon packs out there? I know of MIUIv4 and DCiconZ, both of which have about 2000ish...

Also, ugh, I changed the name of a bunch of apps in Nova and now they won't recognise for changing icons. Any way around this?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 9, 2013

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Putting my home screen on mycolorscreen seemed like a good idea as I spent way too much time screwing with it to not show it off.

e: Also, it allows me to ask questions about it. There has to be some stupidly easy way to make things like phone and contacts into shortcut/app buttons but I am completely lost as to how to do it. Even getting them to show up in my app drawer would be fine. I am running Apex Launcher. Right now I've just been jumping back to the lockscreen when I need to dig through text messages/recent call log/contacts.

vvv - I looked in shortcuts before and couldn't find anything. But apparently I didn't look through apps well enough, because I just found everything under that. Whoops.

linall fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 9, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Uhhh...yeah, phone/dialer, contacts, and messages should be right there in the app drawer. Unless you have some weird phone/ROM I'm not familair with that doesn't have simple shortcuts to those.

Have you tried just long-pressing on the homescreen, selecting "shortcuts" and scrolling down until you see one that looks like it could be phone/contacts/messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to put together this screen from MyColorScreen on my Nexus 4, but I'm having some trouble setting the wallpaper correctly. If I include the whole image, the divider for the "dock" is too close to the soft keys. I can enable CM's expanded desktop, but I'd rather not. Next, I tried to shrink the crop window some, but keep it all the way to the bottom, so I'd have the right amount of space. No dice. How do I get the wallpaper picker to cooperate?

• Locked thread