Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

JosephWongKS posted:

But that stretch covers two of the Goddess hosts (Tsukiyo and Yui). Are they planning to cut Tsukiyo and Yui from the Goddess arc as well?

No. The first episode covered both of their arcs in about a minute each. Akari, the Haqua buddy arc, and Tenri also got about 30 seconds to a minute each.

All of the other arcs got about half of one second each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

jonjonaug posted:

No. The first episode covered both of their arcs in about a minute each. Akari, the Haqua buddy arc, and Tenri also got about 30 seconds to a minute each.

This is the worst thing I have read all week. How can they do something so aggressively terrible?

The worst part is that if this anime does well then they'll probably be like "Knew it was a good decision to skip to here!" and if it does badly then it'll be "I guess TWGOK doesn't sell any more!" and I'll lose either way. I can see the ending and it is a BAD END.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 9, 2013

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's only a couple dozen chapter at most, it's also plot relevant so why not have the Yui Arc?

This is just going to be confusing for anybody who didn't read the comic.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Annointed posted:

It's only a couple dozen chapter at most, it's also plot relevant so why not have the Yui Arc?

Probably so they can hurry up and get to the FIGHTING

TWGOK: SHOUNEN FIGHTING ANIME :unsmigghh:

Seriously this series was/is the first time I've ever read the source manga before watching its anime adaptation, quit mucking it up you jerkbags :argh:

*edit2*
Oh God, according to one of the anime countdown sights it's only going to be 12 episodes long, this is going to be a loving mess. :cripes:

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 9, 2013

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

More like "probably so they could hurry up and get to the lead female vote-getter for more otaku-:10bux:"

I mean the episode itself was fine post-opening credits. If this were the fourth season, that is.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Those fuckers took our poo poo! :argh:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
They skipped the Yui arc?

gently caress this poo poo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Goddammit. Looks like this show is run by the Japanese equivalent of Fox. :negative:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I read all these comics but I forgot names. All names. Who did they skip?

Oh the gender bending girl? That was the best one. When he's playing the Otome games and shouting at the screen blushing furiously, all that was cut? Awful.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 9, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jonjonaug posted:

That's loving bullshit, man. Yui's arc had enough content and quality to support at least six episodes by itself, and they shrink it down to one minute? :argh:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I read all these comics but I forgot names. All names. Who did they skip?

Assuming the wiki put the captures in order:

-Tsukiyo Kujyo/Vulcan
-Minami Ikoma, swim club
-Rieko Hinaga, spirit
-Sumire Uemoto, ramen shop
-Nanaka Haibara, shogi
-Yui Goido/Mars, :krad:
-Hinoki Kasuga, Kusunoki's(karate girl) elder sister

A shitton of skips. :colbert:

e: I know this is the manga thread and these didn't really need to be spoilered, but since this is the only TWGOK thread it's for any anime purists that don't know what they're missing out on.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 9, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They skipped Yui? Literally the worst thing to happen in the history of the world.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 9, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This new season is gonna be a trainwreck :(

I don't even know how they're gonna fit the entire Goddess arc on 12 episodes :psyduck:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Skipping Yui's arc makes me very sad :negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This new season is gonna be a trainwreck :(

I don't even know how they're gonna fit the entire Goddess arc on 12 episodes :psyduck:

Very sloppily, I would wager.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I knew I should have felt more nervous about this when I realized the producers + Manglobe trashed any sort of animated continuity for Hayate the Combat Butler.

I got so mad I watched the Kanon 100% OVA instead of the actual season. :byodood:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 9, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
How can they skip a character that gonna be important in the future arc! Where's the character development!? :argh:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Nyaa posted:

How can they skip a character that gonna be important in the future arc! Where's the character development!? :argh:

Wasted on Kanon spinoffs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Looks like they cut out Fiore too, and swapped in Lune in her place. I really hope they're only covering the first half of the arc with this season, or they're going to have to cut a lot more...

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Looks like they cut out Fiore too, and swapped in Lune in her place. I really hope they're only covering the first half of the arc with this season, or they're going to have to cut a lot more...

what

now they're cutting major characters?

Welp, before at least there was a chance that they could always go back and animate the other stuff, but now this part is ruined and needs to be done over (Which will almost certainly never happen.)

Kill all everythings (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

and while I'm bitching, we're also getting cheated out of a good ~7 unique openings (Not that I particularly liked the first two and I haven't seen the new one, but if 40-ish chapters was worth 24 episodes back when they were doing it right, then this arc alone is worth like, 4 unique OPs.)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Without Yui, what's the point? I guess she doesn't sell tickets to creepy IRL anime character concerts :mad:.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

This is very quickly turning into a massive clusterfuck. :(

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Tarezax posted:

Oh god I didn't even notice that

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wow, the pacing is...off. Everything about this episode has just been so jarring. I liked Apollo in it, but everything else just felt like it zoomed by over my head. You can -easily- tell Keima's become a lot more emotional/involved, but without an in-between series you wouldn't know why.

Saori Hayami's a good Engrish singer too, but I kind of wish she didn't have to replace both Elisa and LIA for the opener.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
For those who've watched it (I was planning on watching it next week):

It is even worth watching anymore if you're a fan of the manga? Too early to say?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Zogundar posted:

For those who've watched it (I was planning on watching it next week):

It is even worth watching anymore if you're a fan of the manga? Too early to say?

On the one hand the goddess arc is pretty enjoyable.

On the other hand they're looking to be changing from the manga (guessing based off the stabbing that they're just cutting Fiore completely which annoys me cause I liked Fiore) in order to fit it into the episode count and deal with having skipped half the manga to get here and I don't want to watch it out of spite because I'm not getting Yui or Sumire arcs.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
If they didn't skip half the manga to the goddess arc, there's a good chance there won't be any goddess arc at all.

Unless the Kanon spinoff does really well anyway. But you all hate that too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the plus side, skipping so much to go straight to the goddess arc means that Yui's part of the goddess arc should still be there, and I think that part was at least as good as, if not better than, her original arc. Also it means they will spend more time on the objectively best girl, Chihiro.

vvvv Because she isn't special in any way, likes Keima for reasons unrelated to the conquests, and has been shown to be the only girl Keima actually feels anything for beyond some responsibility when bad things happen to them and not actively hating them. Think back to the chapter where he smashes her heart over his knee and then for the first time in the series shows actual concern and remorse. Apart from just being cool herself, Chihiro is one of the biggest reasons for Keima to develop as a character. Haqua also gets points for just genuinely liking Keima.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I have never understood why people like Chihiro.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

ActionZero posted:

On the one hand the goddess arc is pretty enjoyable.

On the other hand they're looking to be changing from the manga (guessing based off the stabbing that they're just cutting Fiore completely which annoys me cause I liked Fiore) in order to fit it into the episode count and deal with having skipped half the manga to get here and I don't want to watch it out of spite because I'm not getting Yui or Sumire arcs.
Skipping stuff is extremely bad as is. But as you say, what's putting it on the brink of not bothering for me is the changes. I liked Fiore too, and having such a major player in events just completely excised from the story is yet another blow to my confidence in the way this is being handled (As if it needed more.)

ChronoReverse posted:

If they didn't skip half the manga to the goddess arc, there's a good chance there won't be any goddess arc at all.

Unless the Kanon spinoff does really well anyway. But you all hate that too.
If ALL they had done was skip to the Goddess arc, I might have been able to live with that. That would leave room for hope that they would animate the other stuff later if this did well. That means using the previously established normal pacing (No blowing through 4 seasons worth of poo poo in three months) or at least not screwing with the source material. But they're doing all of these things. It doesn't sound like we're really even getting to see the Goddess arc.

If the Kanon spinoff was subsidizing a proper adaptation, I'd be all for as many as it takes.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Sonata Mused posted:

I find the idea of a character who's gimmick is that they have no gimmick amidst a see of insane gimmick characters to be charmingly quaint.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

I find the idea of a character who's gimmick is that they have no gimmick amidst a see of insane gimmick characters to be charmingly quaint.

So...you enjoy meta characters?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

PerrineClostermann posted:

So...you enjoy meta characters?

Aren't most of the characters in this series kind of meta? It's about a dude who plays a lot of dating sims who then goes on to detachedly court a bunch of anime stereotypes. The whole thing is an exercise in meta.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sonata Mused posted:

She's Normal. Plus when she gets involved Keima usually has to go through some sort of examination of himself.

The Midpoint of her Arc after Keima realizes that she fell for him, and the end of the Goddess Arc where he has to completely blow her off are the few times where Keima shows any legitimate emotions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chihiro was also an interesting case where she fell for Keima before any of the Runaway Spirit nonsense.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nate RFB posted:

Chihiro was also an interesting case where she fell for Keima before any of the Runaway Spirit nonsense.

And it's one of the reasons I like her part in the Goddesses' arc. (Spoilers for said arc, obviously) I find it somewhat tragic that Keima has found somebody who truly, honestly likes him for what he is and not for a mask he puts on for their benefit, and he has to push her away for the sake of saving everyone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I really like her too. I hope she shows up again in a big role. That said, I have no idea what she sees in him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Annointed posted:

If this was a viable strategy they should have skipped Jun's arc in Season 2 and gone straight to Tsukiko and Yui and condensed all four of the arcs in that season down. Its simply absurd to skip Yui and Tsukiko but have the plot revolve around them still. They could even have done Yui and Tsukiko in 2 episodes each this season. You can't simply loving skip them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 11, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

If this was a viable strategy they should have skipped Jun's arc in Season 2 and gone straight to Tsukiko and Yui and condensed all four of the arcs in that season down. Its simply absurd to skip Yui and Tsukiko but have the plot revolve around them still. They could even have done Yui and Tsukiko in 2 episodes each this season. You can't simply loving skip them.

While you're right I don't think they were expecting anything beyond a second season which would be why they went the same direction as the manga. Then suddenly someone(fans, execs, whoever) decided to greenlight another seasonWE NEED MORE KANON so they throttle the story through where we are currently at and anything important that happened was an afterthought while playing games. :downs:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mikl posted:

And it's one of the reasons I like her part in the Goddesses' arc. (Spoilers for said arc, obviously) I find it somewhat tragic that Keima has found somebody who truly, honestly likes him for what he is and not for a mask he puts on for their benefit, and he has to push her away for the sake of saving everyone.

Artificer posted:

I really like her too. I hope she shows up again in a big role. That said, I have no idea what she sees in him.

Have you fellows read about the LNs? There's a girl in there that you'd find very interesting. If I remember correctly, she was genuinely in love with Keima. Unfortunately, he had to capture her as she held a spirit. Once he captured her, her memories were erased...including her genuine feelings of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Have you fellows read about the LNs? There's a girl in there that you'd find very interesting. If I remember correctly, she was genuinely in love with Keima. Unfortunately, he had to capture her as she held a spirit. Once he captured her, her memories were erased...including her genuine feelings of love.

That's.......that's super :smith:

• Locked thread