Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The heist don't sound optional in GTAV. They make up the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah they said early on that heists are the core theme of the game.

Which is totally cool by me, I love heist movies and up until now no game has really done them justice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I figure Rockstar figured out that the best part of GTA4 was that huge heist, so they made the plot around that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to know how many players the online part supports. The end of the trailer made it seem like its literally a mini-MMO.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I said come in! posted:

I really want to know how many players the online part supports. The end of the trailer made it seem like its literally a mini-MMO.

Just like every other game apparently, I'm surprised the camera didn't slowly zoom out to the sky this time around.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
September 17th is so far away. Hnnng.

If they release a pc version as well I will buy that too. Rockstar showed with MP3 that they have learned to make the rage engine work with PC. Open world is definitely different but still.

I have only bought Dark Souls and GtaIV twice and I don't regret it.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

I said come in! posted:

The heist don't sound optional in GTAV. They make up the main story.

Maybe how the heists go down is more open for the player?

ie What entrance to go through, what guns to use, what getaway car? etc etc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah that's the idea is that how you pull of the heist is up to you.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Blitz7x posted:

I was reading an interview about it a while back where they said each player will experience the game a different way. They could just be buzzwords in a sense, but also speaking towards the customizable nature of how the heists are pulled off.

I think they mentioned branching ways to pull them off or what guy you use in what situation, leading to some nice replay ability.

Edit: Gamestop ran out of PS4 pre-orders, holy moly.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah they said early on that heists are the core theme of the game.

Which is totally cool by me, I love heist movies and up until now no game has really done them justice.

The actual heist part wasn't anything at all GTA4's Three Leaf Clover aftermath is one of my favorite gameplay experiences this generation. It nailed the idea of being cinematic while still feeling organic despite being structured by being a mission. They know how to do that stuff well, but I'm wary that they could make the heist portion interesting or dynamic. Before it's been go to this place and this place and this place and now shoot.

Anyway, GTA5 is already an instant buy. Are you goddamn kidding me? That video was like watching some 13 year old's scribbled "ultimate game" list while hopped up on pixie sticks and Jolt only someone actually made it and polished it and it comes out in a few months. Please oh please, let the PS3 port be good.

Edit:

Harlock posted:

I was reading an interview about it a while back where they said each player will experience the game a different way. They could just be buzzwords in a sense, but also speaking towards the customizable nature of how the heists are pulled off.

I think they mentioned branching ways to pull them off or what guy you use in what situation, leading to some nice replay ability.

Edit: Gamestop ran out of PS4 pre-orders, holy moly.

Yeah, this is my hope (dream). Like any heist would have weaknesses and strengths and if you put the best people in the best scenario is goes well but if you put a hothead in crowd control you get early shots and police presence. And if you pull off a gimmick too often, the police get wise and crackdown on you.

If there was ever anything I wanted from a GTA game, it was more player defined missions. From the beginning I wished you could do stuff like set waypoints and have a shooting gallery turret mission or rob a store and have to make it to the getaway helicopter through a gauntlet. I doubt it will happen this time but it sounds like they're adding a degree of customization with these heists.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 9, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, have it on all four platforms I mean, but have the next gen ones be clearly better.

I hope GTA5 has an honest to god no bullshit fast travel system so far. You can make it in-world as a taxi service or whatever but it needs to be reliable and fast, unlike 4.

You do know you can skip the taxi ride in GTA 4? Well I will give that it sucks it basically brings up a loading screen when you do that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah you can basically speed run GTA4 solely using the taxis. When I replayed the game when the trophy patch came out, I never drove anywhere unless mandated to because it was always faster to yell for a taxi and teleport.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Yeah that's the idea is that how you pull of the heist is up to you.

If I get to recreate the armored car heist from Heat just like they did in the reveal I will be happy.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Looks like they cribbed all the good things from Red Dead.

Also I refuse to believe that's not running on a PC.

quote:

All of the in-game footage featured in today's GTA 5 gameplay trailer was captured from the PlayStation 3 version, Rockstar has confirmed.

"Just to clarify for those asking, this particular video was captured with footage from the PS3 version of the game," wrote Rockstar on the publisher's official website.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^ ^ ^
Edit: Going to hug my PS3 for a little while. So many good times, so many to come.

Jet Ready Go posted:

http://nihongogo.com/2013/07/tokyo-jungle-mobile-hits-the-playstation-store/

Lots of sales this week at the PS Store.

Looking forward to buying Simpsons Arcade and Star Wars Unleashed when I get home. Anyone who bought or has experience with Tokyo Jungle Mobile care to share a trip report?

So this sale is super timely because I just replayed Lego Star Wars and have a hankering for more Lego.

I assume Hitman Trilogy and Prince of Persia Trilogy are good enough playing games (as in none of them play like bad PS1 games as far as controls)? I missed literally every one of both collections during the PS2 era.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think they've said the PS3 is the lead platform for GTAV which is why they're running all the promotional materal on a PS3.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blitz7x posted:

<PS3 Version Info>

Not to be all Conspiracy Theorist or whatever, but is it possible that "PS3 Version" and "Actually running on a PS3" could be considered separate things here?

I remember what GTA4 looked like in videos on youtube and commercials. Then I got it and while the graphic aesthetic and lighting were the same, it was a jaggedy, flickery mess. So much so that I actually felt more than a little misled.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why is it so unbelievable? Time and time again shows that the last years of Sony's console, the developers really start to get a knack of how to use it. I mean come on, PS2? We had God of War and holy poo poo that was a graphical masterpiece for it's time.

Granted it's Rockstar, but I'm inclined to believe they can tap that much power into the ps3.

edit: Apart from a PS3 devkit which has certain things that a regular ps3 has, not really much of a difference from what I seen. I could be wrong though.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 9, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shindragon posted:

Why is it so unbelievable? Time and time again shows that the last years of Sony's console, the developers really start to get a knack of how to use it. I mean come on, PS2? We had God of War and holy poo poo that was a graphical masterpiece for it's time.

Granted it's Rockstar, but I'm inclined to believe they can tap that much power into the ps3.

It's not so unbelievable. It's more just that (I feel) like they misled last time. And that they could have just said "running on a PS3" I guess?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Couldn't "Running on PS3" very well mean "running on a PS3 emulator on a PC with all graphical settings maxed and sharpened and tweaked", or is that not possible?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not even Sony has a PS3 emulator.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That GTA5 trailer makes me think I'll spend approximately 4,235 hours just driving/flying around and maybe by the end of 2014 I'll be tired of that and finish the story.

I mean holy motherfucking poo poo. I don't care if they're lying about the "running on a PS3" thing (and I don't think they are), I don't care if there's pop-in and the framerate sometimes drops, look at how loving huge and diverse that game world is for gently caress's sake.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Not even Sony has a PS3 emulator.

That's what they want you to think. Clearly this footage is the result of putting your PS3 GTA5 disc in a PS4. It's the secret "forwards compatible" project that only works on this and The Last of Us :tinfoil:

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
I have already pre-ordered a PS4, and I see no reason to cancel it... But man, it seems like I'm never going to play the drat thing. Between GTA V, Beyond: Two Souls, Dark Souls II, and for some reason I'm excited about Lightning Returns... Just doesn't seem like a lot of time to devote to the PS4. I ordered the Watch Dogs bundle, and every one of those PS3 games looks more interesting to me than Watch Dogs. It's a dumb problem to have for sure. I'm not actually complaining either; it's just a really exciting time for video games and I don't what to do with myself. :allears: And that's not even counting stuff like Saints Row IV or Arkham Origins that I know other people are seriously excited for.

Now back to Dress Up Simulato.... err, GTA V. Everything they release just keeps looking better and better. It only took me like six months to beat Red Dead Redemption due to open world ADD, so I see this one taking me roughly until I'm on my death bed.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm slowly getting more excited for GTAV. Golfing AND Tennis? Yes, please and thank you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Obviously "running on a PS3" means it's recorded PC footage burned onto a bluray being played on a PS3.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Jet Ready Go posted:

http://nihongogo.com/2013/07/tokyo-jungle-mobile-hits-the-playstation-store/

Lots of sales this week at the PS Store.

Looking forward to buying Simpsons Arcade and Star Wars Unleashed when I get home. Anyone who bought or has experience with Tokyo Jungle Mobile care to share a trip report?

I heard mediocre things about Force Unleashed 2, any opinions about it and is it worth $5?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'm slowly getting more excited for GTAV. Golfing AND Tennis? Yes, please and thank you.

I am seriously going to play so much goddamn golf and tennis. I haven't played a good tennis game since like... I don't know, Mario Tennis on the GBA?

gently caress motion control tennis, real talk.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rad Valtar posted:

I heard mediocre things about Force Unleashed 2, any opinions about it and is it worth $5?

I was looking at video reviews and they all seemed to say it was extremely short. But maybe that makes it okay at $5 where it's less of a savings and more of representation of appropriate value or something?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Holy poo poo are we really this distrustful of game companies that we have to invent crazy conspiracy theories as to why a game couldn't possibly be working as they presented it?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

precision posted:

I am seriously going to play so much goddamn golf and tennis. I haven't played a good tennis game since like... I don't know, Mario Tennis on the GBA?

gently caress motion control tennis, real talk.

GBA Mario Tennis was the tits. Virtua Tennis wasn't awful either.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The video looks neat but I was sort of hoping they would ease up on the side BS. I personally thought shooting pool/darts/whatever in GTA4 sucked and was mildly annoyed you were forced to do each of them once, and they are showing golf and stuff in this game now. Maybe it'll be awesome, but to me it's like, Tiger Woods is a thing, tennis games are a thing, you're already making a huge open world game, why do they always want to devote developer time to that stuff that in the past has been sort of half-assed? I didn't care for poker in RDR either. Like the next game you can join the Los Santos football team as a tailback or something and they'll have a poorly engineered Madden equivalent.

I'm sure there are folks who love these minigames, and I can't complain if you can just ignore them obviously, but previous games suggest an early mission to introduce you to the dating mechanics/getting fat mechanics/bowling mechanics when I want to get to the heisting.

I guess as long as friends aren't constantly calling you asking to go see some titties, and you can generally ignore that side stuff, that's fine, but please don't have missions where you have to golf 3 holes or whatever. Those are always dull moments to me in a game full of mayhem and sandbox fun.

Basejumping however, looks wonderful. My current favorite GTA memories were taking all kinds of vehicles off the peak of Chiliad and messing around in the abandoned airfield and surrounding mesas in SA. The feeling of altitude in some of the video looks intense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

robodex posted:

Holy poo poo are we really this distrustful of game companies that we have to invent crazy conspiracy theories as to why a game couldn't possibly be working as they presented it?

Yes? It's a very common thing. I just don't want to feel burned. I'm going to set my expectations lower for the graphics so im not disappointed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Electromax posted:

Like the next game you can join the Los Santos football team as a tailback or something and they'll have a poorly engineered Madden equivalent.
I dunno that sounds pretty great to me :shobon:

I'll never have to put Madden in anymore.

The base jumping and scuba diving is pretty great looking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because GTA is an average: Shooter, driving game, fighting game, etc.

If it's not loaded with side crap to do it's just average.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno it looks like they finally made the shooting pretty good in this one.

e: Hopefully they also did what Sleeping Dogs did and "borrowed" Arkham's melee system

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Krackleburt posted:

I have already pre-ordered a PS4, and I see no reason to cancel it... But man, it seems like I'm never going to play the drat thing. Between GTA V, Beyond: Two Souls, Dark Souls II, and for some reason I'm excited about Lightning Returns... Just doesn't seem like a lot of time to devote to the PS4. I ordered the Watch Dogs bundle, and every one of those PS3 games looks more interesting to me than Watch Dogs. It's a dumb problem to have for sure. I'm not actually complaining either; it's just a really exciting time for video games and I don't what to do with myself. :allears: And that's not even counting stuff like Saints Row IV or Arkham Origins that I know other people are seriously excited for.

Now back to Dress Up Simulato.... err, GTA V. Everything they release just keeps looking better and better. It only took me like six months to beat Red Dead Redemption due to open world ADD, so I see this one taking me roughly until I'm on my death bed.

Yeah, I've just made the switch from 360 to PS3 and I'm starting to question my PS4 preorder because there's no way I'm even going to catch up on years of PS3-exclusive stuff like the Uncharted Trilogy, 5 God of War games, Killzone Trilogy, Resistance Collection, Metal Gear Solids, etc. etc. before the holidays, let alone GTA V. I'm getting closer and closer to just cancelling it and waiting for a PS4 sale some time in 2014 while I work through all my PS3 games.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Electromax posted:

The video looks neat but I was sort of hoping they would ease up on the side BS. I personally thought shooting pool/darts/whatever in GTA4 sucked and was mildly annoyed you were forced to do each of them once, and they are showing golf and stuff in this game now. Maybe it'll be awesome, but to me it's like, Tiger Woods is a thing, tennis games are a thing, you're already making a huge open world game, why do they always want to devote developer time to that stuff that in the past has been sort of half-assed? I didn't care for poker in RDR either. Like the next game you can join the Los Santos football team as a tailback or something and they'll have a poorly engineered Madden equivalent.

I'm pretty sure I remember Rockstar specifically stating that there's less minigame stuff in GTAV because they wanted to make the ones that they did put in really excellent. So although there will be golf and tennis and stuff, it shouldn't be half-assed, because they're cutting down on it all to just have a few, really good minigames, instead of a load of slightly crap ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How many did 4 have? I can only think of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Electromax posted:

I'm sure there are folks who love these minigames, and I can't complain if you can just ignore them obviously, but previous games suggest an early mission to introduce you to the dating mechanics/getting fat mechanics/bowling mechanics when I want to get to the heisting.

I guess as long as friends aren't constantly calling you asking to go see some titties, and you can generally ignore that side stuff, that's fine, but please don't have missions where you have to golf 3 holes or whatever. Those are always dull moments to me in a game full of mayhem and sandbox fun.

Basejumping however, looks wonderful. My current favorite GTA memories were taking all kinds of vehicles off the peak of Chiliad and messing around in the abandoned airfield and surrounding mesas in SA. The feeling of altitude in some of the video looks intense.

Ideally, the minigames would be a tutorial of sorts for some actual gameplay purpose with an option to keep playing the tutorial if you wanted. So the dating thing would just get you to understand their relationship system that you later use to talk a mob boss out of killing you. And the golf would be to get a sense for a system for flinging grenades a long distance. Unfortunately, they weren't really that in GTA4 and they were clunky and slowly paced to boot.

Maybe they'll either get them right or make them a passive part of the background instead of the more nagging nature they were in GTA4.

• Locked thread