Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

Yeah gonna have to echo this sentiment. Having ungodly amounts of TV/Movies for $7 that stream on pretty much every platform is worth the less-than-stellar options alone.

No, I'm talking about his preference for yellow subtitles. Who the gently caress likes looking at piss colored subtitles that don't even have outlines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Personperson14 posted:

Complaining about Netflix is really the worst first world problem, "Uh noez why netflixz puts up movies from 2 years ago and not stuff that justs came out, Theres thousands of stuff here but nothing"

It's so horrible that for less then a movie ticket a month you get thousands of movies. What a lovely deal!

I like Netflix and use it alot. I just wish they were better. They are head and shoulders better than every other option (except Hulu, which is just so different that it's hard to compare) that they still win be default, they just make alot of dumb, annoying decisions.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No, I'm talking about his preference for yellow subtitles. Who the gently caress likes looking at piss colored subtitles that don't even have outlines?
Certainly some posters on this forum to be sure.

I myself prefer white subtitles unless it's like a theatrical print of a b&w foreign-language film, and if I had to choose between white or yellow subs, I think I'd choose yellow. In every other case, if I didn't catch something, I'd just rewind to the relevant part, maybe some people mind that, but I don't really at all.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
To elaborate Netflix is a great service for a great price but they simply cannot design for poo poo. Every netflix app is just bad. Their website is just bad. Auto scrolling? In the year of our lord 2013? C'mon netflix, step it up. The biggest problem is not that they can't design anything, though; its that they continually make things worse every redesign. Netflix is a huge company, surely they could hire some web engineers/UI designers worth a poo poo.

And I can't explain why I prefer yellow subs. I got no problem with white, but man. A nice dark yellow with a thin black border? poo poo man, now that's a subtitle. The first movie I watched subbed probably had yellow and now thats just how I think they should be. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Then they added Instant, not thinking it would be a big thing, and at almost no point have they handled it well.

To be fair they've handled the most important thing very well: poo poo streams fast, no matter how obscure and deep it's buried on their servers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think Amazon handles a lot of the heavy lifting there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yellow subtitles hearkens back to my youth, spent watching lovely kung fu movies on VHS. The subtitles were always yellow and they were always and will forever be great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

I suppose, though I remember an article in here at some point that talked about how they pre-emptively plan for who is likely to stream what by region and dynamically adjust their storage. It sounded pretty competent to me.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

priznat posted:

Amazon provides a good amount on the back end, but Netflix has a pretty genius way of pre-loading content based on demand and region that goes beyond just storage and bandwidth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's true, there must be a lot of local caching and so forth like what YouTube etc does. They get credit for that!

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Netflix uses AWS extensively but they've written massive layers of their own infrastructure over it. Amazon basically just provides CPU time, bandwidth, and scaling (and even then the primary means of administering AWS's scaling is via a Netflix tool they open-sourced called Asgard).

Netflix does have really inconsistent and sometimes crappy design for their apps but they're goddamn wizards of streaming infrastructure. Keep in mind at peak hours Netflix accounts for something like a third of all Internet traffic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

a radii hike posted:

Certainly some posters on this forum to be sure.

I myself prefer white subtitles unless it's like a theatrical print of a b&w foreign-language film, and if I had to choose between white or yellow subs, I think I'd choose yellow. In every other case, if I didn't catch something, I'd just rewind to the relevant part, maybe some people mind that, but I don't really at all.

You're all on my shitlist. I wonder how it got started, a remnant of the days where it wasnt possible to put outlines on the Teletype or whatever?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All I know is that Slumdog Millionaire has the goddamn worst subtitle gimmick (and they're yellow too).

Seriously Danny Boyle, seriously. Still a good movie but man.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Ummm....

DOOM GENERATION IS UP!

Fantastic...last i watched it was on a horribly grainy VHS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

vivisectvnv posted:

Ummm....

DOOM GENERATION IS UP!

Fantastic...last i watched it was on a horribly grainy VHS.

Araki's 2010 film Kaboom just got put up as well. I can't vouch for it, but... hey, it's Araki, I'm sure it's at least stupid fun.

When I was younger I didn't like Doom Generation because I was like "these are my people and we were not that stupid... were we?" I mean that story the one guy tells about his friend that loved Morrissey...

Eventually I just embraced the cheese.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the only Araki movie I've actually gone back to and liked was Mysterious Skin.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Seriously, Mysterious Skin is an amazing film and I swear it's a fluke that Araki directed it because he's made some embarrassingly awful movies. I started watching Kaboom but it's so cringe-inducing I had to stop. I'm guessing that the source material was just too good to gently caress up with Mysterious Skin, since it was a really good novel and the movie follows it very closely...

Now I want to give Kaboom another shot knowing that it will be utterly ridiculous at every turn.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Jarhead (2005) is up. It stars Jake Gyllenhall and Jamie Foxx and is one of my favorite war movies. It is about a group of marines during the first Gulf War and it is incredible. The film focuses not on the war, but on the day to day life of the Marines as they cope with their day to day poo poo. The acting, visuals, and music for this film are all top notch. If you like character based films this movie is probably for you.

Keep an eye out for John Krasinski and the All State guy as they both make brief, and hilarious, appearances in this film. For added fun pretend Gyllehnall is playing the same character he played in End of Watch and this is the time prior to entering the police force.

Seriously everybody go watch this. It kinda got poo poo on when it came out because people who wanted an oorah war movie were bored out of their minds and people who might otherwise appreciate a psychological character study with war as a backdrop were pissed off that it didn't take a hardline stance against Bush because it came out at the peak of Iraq War criticism. Literally half the reviews I read were "it had perfect opportunity to criticize the current war and didn't at all and so it sucks."

The best part is it's probably one of the most anti-war movies ever. It's about the mental breakdown and isolation soldiers feel and how it basically destroys any hope they have of being normal people after war, even when completely avoiding combat. I feel like most anti-war movies focus on the blood and guts and how that can destroy a person's mind, but Jarhead is more about how the very nature of the military and being part of it does that. I'd say it even borders on suggesting that being trained to kill and then actually killing would be mentally healthier than being trained to kill and then standing there holding your dick in the desert for years.

mystes
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

To be fair they've handled the most important thing very well: poo poo streams fast, no matter how obscure and deep it's buried on their servers.
The actual streaming works very well, to be sure. However, in terms of finding movies it's really horrible. Is there even any way to see all the movies it thinks you'll like? I hope there is and I'm just missing it, because why would they put all that effort into their recommendations system and then not let you actually use it in the most obvious way?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Seriously everybody go watch this. It kinda got poo poo on when it came out because people who wanted an oorah war movie were bored out of their minds and people who might otherwise appreciate a psychological character study with war as a backdrop were pissed off that it didn't take a hardline stance against Bush because it came out at the peak of Iraq War criticism. Literally half the reviews I read were "it had perfect opportunity to criticize the current war and didn't at all and so it sucks."

The best part is it's probably one of the most anti-war movies ever. It's about the mental breakdown and isolation soldiers feel and how it basically destroys any hope they have of being normal people after war, even when completely avoiding combat. I feel like most anti-war movies focus on the blood and guts and how that can destroy a person's mind, but Jarhead is more about how the very nature of the military and being part of it does that. I'd say it even borders on suggesting that being trained to kill and then actually killing would be mentally healthier than being trained to kill and then standing there holding your dick in the desert for years.

Yeah it's much closer to reality showing military life more as a constant battle against boredom and emotional isolation while being on a overseas tour of duty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mysterious Skin is definitely an oddity among Araki's work to be sure. I really enjoyed it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the Amazon Prime Video front, they just added a bunch of Miramax films.

Mainly Tarantino, Kevin Smith, and Scary Movie.

http://amzn.to/1303ZPi

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there enough differences in their catalogs to justify having Netflix AND Amazon?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I may take some flack for this, but when I watched Jarhead the other night I kept thinking to myself, "This may be the best anti-war film since Full Metal Jacket.” It is certainly the best film about the Gulf War that I've seen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is Jarhead in any way similar to Tigerland? It's the only other "war movie where they don't go to war" movie I can think of.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is there enough differences in their catalogs to justify having Netflix AND Amazon?

Amazon has a lot more reality shows than Neflix (Amazing Race, Chopped, House Hunters, Iron Chef, etc.) if you're into those.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo Kaboom is bad. Not even fun in the cheezy Doom Generation way. In the first 15 minutes the main character muses that being a film major might be a bad idea because "film as we know it might cease to exist soon", calls his lesbian friend a "vagitarian", and catches his roommate Thor (seriously), a surfer dude, trying to blow himself.

It's as bad as the lovely minstrel show gay films on Logo. Our gay roommates hated it even more than my wife and I. Avoid at all costs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

How long has Erik the Viking been on streaming? Because it's really awesome that Erik the Viking is on streaming.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Joe Don Baker posted:

I have both. I have Netflix because it has way more availability, and only have Amazon Prime because it comes with the free two-day shipping. Probably not worth it unless you buy enough to justify the shipping discount.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Joe Don Baker posted:

If you don't have cable, then Amazon Prime probably has enough exclusive TV content (depending on what you watch) to justify the subscription. I'm not so sure about movies, but I've seen a few titles that I haven't seen on Netflix lately.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Amazon also grabbed the Viacom stuff (MTV, Nick) and they do have movies Netflix doesn't, including some hard to find titles like Massacre at Central High.

And they got Justified which is loving awesome.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you actually need subtitles Amazon is not your first choice. They are incredibly lazy at implimenting them even after the FCC set a deadline to begin rolling them out last year.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I use Amazon Prime mainly for the free two-day shipping and the video streaming is just a bonus. Although they do have the first half of the last season of Doctor Who up, which I anticipate Netlix will add in 2017 or thereabouts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I gave Orange is the New Black 3 episodes to convince me it isn't total horse poo poo, which is 2 and a half episodes more than it deserved. It's not funny and dreadfully boring as well as having a lot of caricature/stereotype characters.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Like others have said, I only have Amazon Prime for the shipping. The videos was a bonus they added at some point.

If Apple TV had Amazon Prime Video, I would use it more. Streaming from an iPhone isn't quite the same.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

precision posted:

I gave Orange is the New Black 3 episodes to convince me it isn't total horse poo poo, which is 2 and a half episodes more than it deserved. It's not funny and dreadfully boring as well as having a lot of caricature/stereotype characters.

Interesting.

Haven't watched it yet, but The AV Club and Alan Sepinwall both thought it was the best Netflix original that's come out yet, and it looks like reviews have mostly been pretty positive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maxnmona posted:

Interesting.

Haven't watched it yet, but The AV Club and Alan Sepinwall both thought it was the best Netflix original that's come out yet, and it looks like reviews have mostly been pretty positive.

:psyduck:

Seriously? I could maybe see people liking it for reasons I just didn't care for, but to say it's better than House of Cards is madness.

I found it to be full of mostly obvious broad humor. Like Two Broke Girls level.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

:psyduck:

Seriously? I could maybe see people liking it for reasons I just didn't care for, but to say it's better than House of Cards is madness.

I found it to be full of mostly obvious broad humor. Like Two Broke Girls level.

I dunno. I felt like House of Cards thought it could coast on the pedigree of the people involved in some aspects. While I found it an easy watch I could've left it be and not really thought about it again.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

On like the third episode of Orange is the New Black and it's more boring than anything. All of the characters are really one-dimensional and the humor is super obvious and safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
This was being discussed pages and pages ago, but thanks to whoever was recommending Jackie Brown. It's far and away Tarantino's most subdued work - but still characteristically his. I'm never disappointed by his stuff, and I'm kicking myself for having missed this one until now. Even if you're not the biggest Tarantino fan, this movie is worth checking out. Quick Pitch: A fairly regular lady gets thrust into some dangerous business with shady characters, and concocts a plan to come out on top. The characters are all fantastic, and the typical thriller cliches are strikingly absent. It's also got one of the best female leads I've seen in long time - Deniro and Sam Jackson are both in this movie, but a middle aged Pam Grier steals the show, both by virtue of her performance, and the fact that she's got a fantastic character to work with. On that note: look out for Deniro playing way against type as a vapid, subdued ex-con.

Does anyone know if Amazon Prime has From Dusk Till Dawn? Netflix dosn't seem to have it anymore. I've never seen it, and I might need to make it next on my list. Tarantino's stuff is great because the guy's love of movies is like . . . infectious. Anytime I watch something he's done, I'm on a movie kick for days. I'd love to have a few beers and nerd out with the guy.

• Locked thread