Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The decision to show off the game through AI players is totally nonsensical. Who is that supposed to appeal to? Is there anyone who would be turned off by seeing two reasonably skilled human players fight? I know the game isn't going to be that technical of a fighter, so it might not look THAT impressive when played well, but surely grabbing any two interns out of the CC2 office would result in videos that sell the game more than what they're doing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Watch as the game turns out to have QWOP-like controls so that only computers can play it with any efficiency.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Maremidon posted:

Watch as the game turns out to have QWOP-like controls so that only computers can play it with any efficiency.

Obviously you need to develop a Stand to play it properly.

"Mash all the buttons, Play With Me!"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The decision to show off the game through AI players is totally nonsensical. Who is that supposed to appeal to? Is there anyone who would be turned off by seeing two reasonably skilled human players fight? I know the game isn't going to be that technical of a fighter, so it might not look THAT impressive when played well, but surely grabbing any two interns out of the CC2 office would result in videos that sell the game more than what they're doing now.

I think they wanted it to be "fair" and not have one character completely dominate everyone else, which is what ended up happening anyway with Caesar.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Because that isn't the point. To add some context, this thing was proceeded by a big voting pool where the top three would be seeded to the finals. It was nothing more than a transparent popularity contest since there's no substance to who wins all this. The tournament itself is no different. It's not about showing off the game. It's about appealing to the "Wow! Character X is fighting Character Y that they never would have," section of the fan base. That makes some sense since the game was probably designed around that idea first and "Let's make a fighting game" second, but it's not doing he game any favors. So, yeah, it's dumb.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I think they wanted it to be "fair" and not have one character completely dominate everyone else, which is what ended up happening anyway with Caesar.

That would be reasonable if every block so far didn't have one character sweep and one character be completely shut out.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 11, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

onepixeljumpman posted:

That would be reasonable if every block so far didn't have one character sweep and one character be completely shut out.

It's matter of chance so matchs came down to slivers.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If they have mini-game versions of the games D'Arby made the team play, I'll forgive sub-par gameplay.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Maremidon posted:

If they have mini-game versions of the games D'Arby made the team play, I'll forgive sub-par gameplay.
"Good"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

onepixeljumpman posted:

It's about appealing to the "Wow! Character X is fighting Character Y that they never would have," section of the fan base. That makes some sense since the game was probably designed around that idea first and "Let's make a fighting game" second, but it's not doing he game any favors.

Which is the most infuriating about this game and CC2 altogether. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, was the first series with an actual good fighting game based on anime property. The game has gained fans just through being a really good competitive fighter. So instead of it being handed over to Capcom again who would probably have weird gimmicks, but it would still be solid for competitive play, they give it to CC2. CC2 being the company thats entire MO is literally style over substance as their Naruto games and Asura's Wrath prove. On top of this they've actually advertised crap like poses, cutscenes in the middle of fights, and now this popularity contest that shows the CPUs badly playing their game over an actual explanation of the mechanics or showing off the gameplay in any meaningful way.

Maremidon posted:

The PS1 version has these and that one is a bad port.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
It's about time casuals have a fighting game they can visually enjoy :shobon:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
If you can't see the potential this game will have in the hands of actual people and not dumb robots, you need to look a little closer.

quote:

Although it was a good thing to have in that game because it was fast enough to have plenty of use.
Good thing moves don't exist in a vaccum. Nobody ever used that move in the old game as hol horse over just spaming glass/hanged man block-strings unless you were playing as boingo (a character nobody used because he's just regular hol but worse). Hol looks like he has insane potential with hanged man setups (which now works like a puppet character and not just a special move), and he looks to have a ~lot~ more control over his homing bullet. Trying to make sweeping claims like "all projectiles are slow and bad!!" without even seeing the entire movelist (although hol has a really fast jumping shoot move that looks really good, as does everything johnny does) is just silly.

quote:

On top of this they've actually advertised crap like poses, cutscenes in the middle of fights
The poses are just "hey taunts actually do something in this game" something that was in street fighter 3 and "we made just defend have a cool pose and changed how it works to show off that this game is 2D with sidesteps like tekken"

As for the mid fight cutscenes, they're not any longer then supers in sf4 (and way shorter then the ones in strekken, good lord) outside of the level 2 supers (which you're probably never going to see given this game has shitloads of uses for meter). Even the wierd "taunt on knockdown" thing isn't bad because it completely removes any chance of oki (in a game where it looks like tons of characters have really good oki) and only steals like 1/8th of a bar. I'm pretty sure it was punished in the one fight too, but that might just be ai being dumb.

Like I know cc2 have made (a lot) of dumb games, but this game is looking really solid, and it's clear that cc2 is ~trying~ to make it good, otherwise we'd still have the moon jumps and three hits = full bar nonsense of the original builds.

but none of this :spergin: really has anything to do with anime, isn't there an ASB thread in games?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Slow projectiles are good tools in most fighting games. From the video it looked like Abdul could shoot a crossfire hurricane and then dash up behind it, using it to cover his approach. You really can't judge anything about the level of gameplay available based on these videos, its just a way for them to show off the characters and stages.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just finished part 5. It was good, but I definitely wanted it to be over well before it actually ended.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Just finished part 5. It was good, but I definitely wanted it to be over well before it actually ended.

Yeah, part five just feels like it is way longer then it should be. I think someone else said it best with how every step is turned into this massive struggle; there are just so many individual conflicts that the overall narrative suffers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The fact that the epilogue ends up being five chapters is a pretty bad example of pacing. Although oddly, I don't mind the length of the fights so much as the fact that the characters never get enough down time between them to really establish themselves. Mista probably gets the most of that time, but he never capitalizes on it as well as Polnareff did in Part 3 when he was stealing scenes left and right. You know that dude's deal right away.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would've been perfectly happy if it was just Mista and Bruno.

Also, Stone Free is so much cooler than Gold Experience.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

Like I know cc2 have made (a lot) of dumb games, but this game is looking really solid, and it's clear that cc2 is ~trying~ to make it good, otherwise we'd still have the moon jumps and three hits = full bar nonsense of the original builds.

The problem is we don't know how much they're trying to make it good. They tried making the Ultimate Ninja Storm games better and they're still just like every other anime fighter they've made. I'm not going to be able to form an actual solid opinion until I have the game in my hands and play it obviously, but nothing I have seen really makes me feel like this game is going to be good. I've already explained why, so I'm not going to go into another tangent about it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 12, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mikeycp posted:

I would've been perfectly happy if it was just Mista and Bruno.

Also, Stone Free is so much cooler than Gold Experience.

I think the problem with Gold Experience is that it's a weird and vaguely defined Stand and I got the sense Araki wasn't really able to think of many ways to use it. Compare Stone Free and Sticky Fingers, which are very simple but have a hell of a lot of use and power.

That said, Scary Monsters is similar, and I loving loved that Stand. Must be the power of dinosaurs.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Maremidon posted:

I think the problem with Gold Experience is that it's a weird and vaguely defined Stand and I got the sense Araki wasn't really able to think of many ways to use it. Compare Stone Free and Sticky Fingers, which are very simple but have a hell of a lot of use and power.

That said, Scary Monsters is similar, and I loving loved that Stand. Must be the power of dinosaurs.

Gold Experience seemed like it just kept getting new powers added to it for no real reason. Being able to turn objects into plants and animals is a pretty cool power, but then it had things like reflecting damage, making chunks of flesh that don't reflect damage for some reason, and punching people full of life. It could have been fine if it was just a stand that made life and was really good at punching, I think.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Eeevil posted:

Gold Experience seemed like it just kept getting new powers added to it for no real reason. Being able to turn objects into plants and animals is a pretty cool power, but then it had things like reflecting damage, making chunks of flesh that don't reflect damage for some reason, and punching people full of life. It could have been fine if it was just a stand that made life and was really good at punching, I think.

I don't remember the chunks of flesh thing, but the other two were each used once in the beginning. I think Araki realized how weird and dumb those were and canned them. It's a shame, "Son of DIO (on Jonathan's body)" had a lot of potential to be an interesting character with a cool stand, but alas!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
My favorite Gold Experience power is the "instantly defeat anyone, be immune to all attacks, gently caress you hahaha" one.

Not Araki's finest moment. At least Sticky Fingers was pretty kickass.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Zeppeli will be making a hidden cameo in an episode of Axe Cop. I was responsible for it. :allears:

In fact, I've been able to insert a lot of cameos for various things in episodes. (They give colorists a surprising amount of freedom to add/drawin-in hidden jokes or design colors on things.)

Also, several of the animators and designers are big Jojo fans. They want to see an axe cop video game made - either a beat-em-up like turtles in time, or a street fighter or smash brothers type of thing. (I'd hope for both coop brawler and also a versus fighting game.) There's also a couple poses that are sly Jojo nods in the most recent ep.

Oh and they've been nerding out over the animation and design in All Star Battle lately.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 14, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is that already on the air?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Tobaccrow posted:

I don't remember the chunks of flesh thing, but the other two were each used once in the beginning. I think Araki realized how weird and dumb those were and canned them. It's a shame, "Son of DIO (on Jonathan's body)" had a lot of potential to be an interesting character with a cool stand, but alas!

That's how his healing worked, he turned objects into body pieces to fill wounds with.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Waffleman_ posted:

Is that already on the air?

There's a preview night on the 21st sunday on Fox where they'll be showing an episode. (I believe it will be the pilot - if so, it's an episode I didn't work on.) Then there's the premiere on 27th.

There's also going to be a ton of promo stuff at the san diego comic con too, so if you're watching livestreams of comic con coverage or checking out photos of what's going on down there, you'll see a lot of it. Fox is also doing a lot of stuff outside the convention center to promote the animation by my company, so even if you don't have comic con tickets you can come down for pizza and fun.

My company's given me a comic con pass - I'll be there thursday friday saturday and sunday.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I've only read a few pages of Axe Cop ages ago, but I'll definitely be following the show if there's JoJo fans behind it. :D I had no idea it was going to be on Fox!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Wow, that's....that's just amazing. Axe Cop becoming big, Jojo becoming more mainstream, this is almost too much for me to take in.

EDIT: JJBATAS episode 2 is finally out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKWpI0TJB9k

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 15, 2013

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Annnd warner brothers blocked it. Do they upload these on any other sites?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

He reuploaded it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ach5HJUF35U

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Oh god, Pops Speedwagon... XD

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And Warner Bros. blocked it again, RIP Antfish.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Spacedad posted:

Zeppeli will be making a hidden cameo in an episode of Axe Cop. I was responsible for it. :allears:

Really? Ha ha, I'm going to ask Ethan if he even knows who the hell that is tomorrow in San Diego.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/18/enrico-is-the-sixth-boss-in-jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle/

Holy crap they are even putting his three different stands.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That sounds loving ridiculous and it's probably the most interested I've been in hearing how a character would be adapted into the game. I've got to admit, the idea of the Green Baby being used to level up is funny and Made in Heaven sounds so ridiculous broken I can't help but wait and see how this turns out.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
:siren: Jojolion #23! :siren: No Jojolion next month.

I guess we've found this universe's Giorno :haw:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I get that a monthly release lets Araki draw better better art, but goddamn if I don't want to just know what is going on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A crossdressing kid with an Origami-based Stand? Oh Araki :allears:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordMune posted:

:siren: Jojolion #23! :siren: No Jojolion next month.
Guess the next trailer for JJBA All Star Battle will be soon then

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So, uh, I think Tsurugi must have been attacked by Grateful Dead at some point, because:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/104688/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion_ch7_by_gomi-scans/15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So, uh, I think Tsurugi must have been attacked by Grateful Dead at some point, because:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/104688/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion_ch7_by_gomi-scans/15

It's not like extremely intelligent toddlers/babies are new to this series. Actually, if someone comes to help Yasuho and Tsurugi goes all baby on us as cover, we may end up having a parallel.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 19, 2013

• Locked thread