Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thom12255 posted:

I'm thinking of starting a playthrough with XRM + Improved Races + MARS, anything else I should have besides the bonus pack?

I've been using XRM and everything in the SA compilation since it's mostly QOL/immersion stuff that feels like it should have been shipped with the game. As far as I can tell, and I'm not 100% sure since it's all in german, the SA pack has all of the bonus stuff included. I did some translations just to be sure and it all seems to be there.

If nothing else from the OP, I'd grab bounce and the complex management stuff.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

If nothing else from the OP, I'd grab bounce

This. If you ever plan on having more than one ship in the sector you're in, install Bounce. In a single evening it will save your fleet from destroying itself dozens of times.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

If nothing else from the OP, I'd grab bounce and the complex management stuff.

Is that (complex management) the mod that scoops up all complex stations into a huge box so you don't have to look at them? I know that it's probably the best solution to the whole complex management rabbit hole, but it makes me a little sad that it's necessary.

I just hope that when Rebirth finally emerges from whatever vapourware hole it's currently nestled in it includes a way to make complexes that don't look like someone let their three-year-old loose with drinking straws and blu-tack.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 11, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Is there any way that I can get rid of teleporting entirely with CODEA? I removed the ore collector from the mothership, but the fighters still appear outside the ship as if space magic. I like having the ships physically take off and land. :(

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I just bought the game from sale and i'm wondering can i just install the whole sa script pack as one package or do i need to unzip it first and add each mod individually?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delerion posted:

I just bought the game from sale and i'm wondering can i just install the whole sa script pack as one package or do i need to unzip it first and add each mod individually?

You have to unzip the SA rar, but the other rars don't need to be messed with.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Falken posted:

Is there any way that I can get rid of teleporting entirely with CODEA? I removed the ore collector from the mothership, but the fighters still appear outside the ship as if space magic. I like having the ships physically take off and land. :(

A transporter equipped on the carrier allows teleporting for takeoffs, and docking computers on all your fighters allows them to teleport on landing, so you can remove one or both to disable that option. Or in the main CODEA menu, at the bottom are General Options. There is an option for "Advanced Hangar Mechanism" which will enable/disable the teleporting entirely without having to mess with the equipment.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Alright. Screw saving in stations and screw one time use salvage insurance. I am tired of losing a bunch of progress because the game bugs out and kills me / half my fleet.

Is there some sort of cheat or mod that will allow me to save anytime, anywhere without having to carry around a billion salvage insurance thingies?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

kedo posted:

Alright. Screw saving in stations and screw one time use salvage insurance. I am tired of losing a bunch of progress because the game bugs out and kills me / half my fleet.

Is there some sort of cheat or mod that will allow me to save anytime, anywhere without having to carry around a billion salvage insurance thingies?

The cycrow cheat package has an unlimited salvage insurance option.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
Does getting terran rep to 10 as an Argon get you access to the Aldrin Sectors/Springblossom? Also i'm still curious which stations have wares that sell to npcs well.

edit: N/M about the Aldrin stuff... I found it :stare:. And it seems that 7 rep is enough to buy the Springblossom. If anyone else is curious about how to find it: Xenon Sector 598 to Xenon Sector 627 to Xenon Core 023, then south to just plain old "Xenon Sector", from there it's west to Segaris and you're pretty much home free in Terran space. Just keep heading west to get to Aldrin. Oh, and bring a fast ship.

Killgore Trout fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2013

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Does aldrin still murder the poo poo out of your fps? I haven't played in a while but I always remote pilot ships around in that main sector because of how terrible is it/was.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

WraithMind posted:

Does aldrin still murder the poo poo out of your fps? I haven't played in a while but I always remote pilot ships around in that main sector because of how terrible is it/was.

I didn't have any problems on 10x that I noticed. My PC is pretty decent though.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Use this mod http://forum.egosoft.de/viewtopic.php?t=248405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Resizes the stupidly large Aldrin rock so it doesn't cripple your fps

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I played the game for a few hours and i am feeling hooked already, but i read about XRM and the features which it gives and it all sounds really good, i'm pondering trying it out right away rather than switching out to it mid-way through my first game, if i read correctly it doesn't add that much more complexity to the game, just lots more stuff(and bug fixes?)

Are there any downsides going XRM?

Also, is there a similar control scheme to EVE available where i can point-and-click where to go and look around my ship freely? or just possibility to spin camera around my ship with my mouse so i can see what's behind me and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 12, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Delerion posted:

I played the game for a few hours and i am feeling hooked already, but i read about XRM and the features which it gives and it all sounds really good, i'm pondering trying it out right away rather than switching out to it mid-way through my first game, if i read correctly it doesn't add that much more complexity to the game, just lots more stuff(and bug fixes?)

XRM requires a new game to work. It supposed to be way more hardcore, but I've never actually used it before. I'd also be interested in hearing what people think about it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

XRM requires a new game to work. It supposed to be way more hardcore, but I've never actually used it before. I'd also be interested in hearing what people think about it.

I love it, but I had the benefit of playing a couple dozen hours of Vanilla X3AP before I installed it. Now, though, I love almost everything XRM brings to the table. I don't play without it.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
Could anyone explain why almost a million credits would just disappear from my account? I was exploring when I was attacked by a large group of pirates. In the firefight I hear something like "You have been demoted" for some reason. I don't think anything of it, so after barely destroying all of the pirates with my life I go through the warp gate. When I get to the next sector I go to buy something for my ship and see I only have 2000 credits whereas before I had near 800,000 credits.

I checked the message log but couldn't find anything. I have installed the script compilation in the OP, if it means anything.

Did I accidentally hit a friendly and get given a massive fine or something?

Come to think of it, I think this happened before, along with the robot voice telling me I'd been demoted, however I had very few credits so it didn't make a difference. I have been slowly building up my credits using the Stock Exchange so to have all the work be undone by unknown causes is a little disheartening.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is the script I installed to automatically deploy satellites. Satellites have been deployed in each sector automatically, but I did not notice it crediting my account each time it deployed one. Could the script be lagging and not taking the credits from my account until some random time in the future where it takes it all out at once?

CharlesDexterWard fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 12, 2013

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Do you know what type of rank was demoted, race, trade, combat?

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Do you know what type of rank was demoted, race, trade, combat?

I'm not sure off of the top of my head, I haven't really been keeping track and I don't recall it saying. Would losing rank make you lose credits?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Delerion posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday and dove right in with the goon pack and XRM. The only disadvantage I've seen in XRM so far is that the main plot appears to be disabled. I picked the Argon Peacekeeper start and it just dropped me in the starting sector with a vague "there's a war on, go blow stuff up for the fatherland" message. I tried a vanilla start before I installed all the mods and I had clear mission objectives right away. So that might be a problem for a brand new player (I played X2 quite a bit so I'm not going in completely blind). Also I guess that means that you won't get the corvette that the first few missions of the vanilla plot are supposed to lead up to.

Quick question about the advanced satellite mod, is it just conjuring satellites out of thin air and deploying them in the center for me, or do I have a limited number of them? I like the functionality of the mod but I don't know if I like it giving me something for nothing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

CharlesDexterWard posted:

I'm not sure off of the top of my head, I haven't really been keeping track and I don't recall it saying. Would losing rank make you lose credits?

It wouldn't no, don't really know where 800k would suddenly go unless a UT used it somehow.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frog Assassin posted:

just dropped me in the starting sector with a vague "there's a war on, go blow stuff up for the fatherland" message.

Go to the red flashing sectors, and destroy the enemies of the glorious Argon race, pilot. You'll be contacted again with further instructions when you've stopped eating the paste.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There is a 99% chance that vanishing credits are going into your traders.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

Frog Assassin posted:

Quick question about the advanced satellite mod, is it just conjuring satellites out of thin air and deploying them in the center for me, or do I have a limited number of them? I like the functionality of the mod but I don't know if I like it giving me something for nothing.

As far as I know, with Memia Automatic Advanced Satellite, you get a free satellite in every sector you visit. It's definitely something for nothing, but at the same time, it's extremely convenient.

Someone posted an alternative that was quoted in the OP:

Nomikos posted:

Universe Explorers are OK, but I prefer the Galaxy Explorer script. There's no bullshit with having to train up idiot pilots, it just works out of the box. By default it has to go buy satellites to deploy them, but there's a "Satellite spawn mod" in that thread you can apply, which opens up a config option to just charge your credit account and spawn a satellite instead. Satellites should not be difficult to find! :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I tried XRM for AP recently; I didn't particularly like it in all honesty. I found the rebalancing they did with the ships to be too much of a "flattening"; as in, fighters and M6s were way too powerful, and it seemed like capital ships were far too weak. Also, the racial weapons loadouts made some capital ships (specifically the Argon and OTAS ships) incredibly disadvantaged.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Killgore Trout posted:

Does getting terran rep to 10 as an Argon get you access to the Aldrin Sectors/Springblossom? Also i'm still curious which stations have wares that sell to npcs well.

edit: N/M about the Aldrin stuff... I found it :stare:. And it seems that 7 rep is enough to buy the Springblossom. If anyone else is curious about how to find it: Xenon Sector 598 to Xenon Sector 627 to Xenon Core 023, then south to just plain old "Xenon Sector", from there it's west to Segaris and you're pretty much home free in Terran space. Just keep heading west to get to Aldrin. Oh, and bring a fast ship.

Or if you don't want to run the Xenon sectors, just do the Hub plot, it'll get you to the Megnir/Segaris gate with fairly little hassle.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Cool, I bought the original X3 and never could get into it at all. Is playing vanilla recommended or should I go straight for the goon pack?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Friend Commuter posted:

Or if you don't want to run the Xenon sectors, just do the Hub plot, it'll get you to the Megnir/Segaris gate with fairly little hassle.

If this is AP and not TC, you can get to Althes through Neptune. In fact I think of the plots in TC had the Terrans installing a new jumpgate there.

chunkles posted:

Cool, I bought the original X3 and never could get into it at all. Is playing vanilla recommended or should I go straight for the goon pack?

As long as it isn't a major mod like XRM, or something that makes changes to things like ships and stations, you should be able to install and use it for an existing save. So it's ok to start with vanilla and mod things you don't like.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 12, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

MrChips posted:

I tried XRM for AP recently; I didn't particularly like it in all honesty. I found the rebalancing they did with the ships to be too much of a "flattening"; as in, fighters and M6s were way too powerful, and it seemed like capital ships were far too weak. Also, the racial weapons loadouts made some capital ships (specifically the Argon and OTAS ships) incredibly disadvantaged.
Yeah, there were alot of things I liked, such as the new turret designs, engine trails, weapon effects and more stuff going on in system.

I didn't like how they changed the mass driver from a quick firing, ammunition consuming gatling gun to a slow firing, energy draining cannon, the framerate when docking went into the single digits, my Argon carriers and destroyers felt woefully underpowered...

Also the cluster flak array no longer fires a cluster, and just seems to tickle M3 fighters.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Bhodi posted:

There is a 99% chance that vanishing credits are going into your traders.

I don't have any traders currently, the only ships I have are the ships you get from the first three Argon missions, and a transport ship I managed to capture. I haven't set up any trading. All I've been doing is working the stock exchange. I did check and I didn't make a mistake and have all my credits in stock.

I reloaded an earlier save where I still had my credits so I will continue from that. I really hope it doesn't happen again!

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Falken posted:

Yeah, there were alot of things I liked, such as the new turret designs, engine trails, weapon effects and more stuff going on in system.

I didn't like how they changed the mass driver from a quick firing, ammunition consuming gatling gun to a slow firing, energy draining cannon, the framerate when docking went into the single digits, my Argon carriers and destroyers felt woefully underpowered...

Also the cluster flak array no longer fires a cluster, and just seems to tickle M3 fighters.

Argon got nerfed into the ground in XRM. Yaki/Pirate, Terran and Split got a fair bit stronger, though. Advanced Chokaro turned into a sub-1M carrier with no rep requirements and Cheetahs are zippy assholes with boarding pods. :getin:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

El Disco posted:

If this is AP and not TC, you can get to Althes through Neptune. In fact I think of the plots in TC had the Terrans installing a new jumpgate there.

Yes, but if you're not playing a Terran and haven't ground up your rep, they will slightly be shooting at you.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

The cycrow cheat package has an unlimited salvage insurance option.

Delayed reply - that's perfect, thanks!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I just watched three Zeus and their fighter complements dropping in on a single Duke's Zeus. It was actually uncomfortable to watch the poor fucker melt like that. :stare:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My first experience of seeing an M7M in action was in Paranid space. A couple of Pirate Carracks were passing through for some reason, why I can only guess at, and a Paranid M7M entered into the system. My exposure to that orgy of missiles and death was like some fantastic advertisement.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Taerkar posted:

My first experience of seeing an M7M in action was in Paranid space. A couple of Pirate Carracks were passing through for some reason, why I can only guess at, and a Paranid M7M entered into the system. My exposure to that orgy of missiles and death was like some fantastic advertisement.

The downside to missile frigates (and bombers) is supply. You generally aren't going to be able to buy enough missiles if you use it with any frequency, so you have to build a missile complex, which greatly adds to their initial cost.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=339813

Release date of release date will be in August...?

More info at Gamescom

quote:

We're still finalising details of what will be shown at Gamescom. It's pretty much a given that there will be videos, hopefully including at least one really nice new one that you've not seen yet, but if we can arrange it then we'd also like to show some kind of demo, preferably of the playable kind. I can't promise this, however, as it depends on various factors, not all of which are under our control.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys keep up with your fake patches? Immersive Environments is really picky about which order things should be in when you run it with XRM and suddenly I have another cat/dat pair and I don't even know what the hell they are. I had a little reference card and everything for which number was what but now I suddenly have another pair and zero idea on what they might be.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I've got my carrier's entire fighter complement running CAP in a secure sector whilst I'm at work. Earlier today I lost x4 Venti to a single pirate buster, due to how recruit grade pilots love to stop and shoot. Also is there a way I can do a uniform weapon arrangement for my birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

How do you guys keep up with your fake patches? Immersive Environments is really picky about which order things should be in when you run it with XRM and suddenly I have another cat/dat pair and I don't even know what the hell they are. I had a little reference card and everything for which number was what but now I suddenly have another pair and zero idea on what they might be.
The manager program handles cat/dat as well as normal scripts, I just use that. I used to just keep a txt file in that directory with what is what, which works, but not when mysterious cat/dat files appear.

Falken posted:

I've got my carrier's entire fighter complement running CAP in a secure sector whilst I'm at work. Earlier today I lost x4 Venti to a single pirate buster, due to how recruit grade pilots love to stop and shoot. Also is there a way I can do a uniform weapon arrangement for my birds?

In AP you can save a loadout and apply it to all docked similar ships at your player HQ. That only works for cargo stuff - weapons, missiles, shields, and I use commission ships from advanced races for the ship type, software, and tuning.

• Locked thread