Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Gnomedolf posted:

Anand says it's fixed with Mavericks.

Did he post a review somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, I found a few other sources that confirmed this.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

IceHawk posted:

Yeah, I have the same model and it does the same things. Hopefully it's not indicative of a larger issue.

Huh, and I thought I was just being paranoid last night. It feels like a plastic clip isn't quite latching and pops off.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Biodome posted:

Just bought a 2013 Macbook Air and it has that stupid wifi bug where the wifi stops working after 5 minutes until you restart the Macbook Air. Anyone know a fix besides taking it to Apple? I already updated it to the latest software.

They're apparently working on a software fix for it: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/29/apple-testing-software-update-to-address-2013-macbook-air-wi-fi-issues/

I'm sort of stressed out about that bug because my new MBA should be arriving next week :(

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Question for you 15" rMBP owners:

Do you guys ever get video lag when you're playing an html5 YouTube video in fullscreen on an external monitor (with or without the main retina display open)?

It's so strange.. There's no lag whatsoever when viewing html5 videos fullscreen or otherwise on the built in retina display, and there's no lag whatsoever when viewing html5 videos in a "windowed" mode on an external display, but it's a different story when those same videos are fullscreen on an external display. Without fail it lags and it's always choppy.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Does Apple update their monitors regularly? I'm wondering if I should hold out on the Thunderbolt Display in case there's a refresh coming up in the (near) future.

edit: I guess the answer is, as always, buy now if you need it.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 12, 2013

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just ordered a macbook air 13" with 512GB 8GB and i7, lets do it baby.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

I bought this exact configuration a couple of weeks ago and it's a great machine. You'll enjoy it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

thegreatcodfish posted:

Huh, and I thought I was just being paranoid last night. It feels like a plastic clip isn't quite latching and pops off.

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of what it sounds like. I might pop open the back panel later on tonight and see if I can figure out what's going on.

rear end Catchcum posted:

This is what I've got and it's pretty incredible (except for the incessant popping :argh:), you're going to love it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of what it sounds like. I might pop open the back panel later on tonight and see if I can figure out what's going on.

This is what I've got and it's pretty incredible (except for the incessant popping :argh:), you're going to love it.

I really wish the macbook air screens would go ips. After working on a rmbp for a year it's tough to go back :(

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Popping?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

I posted about it last page:

Anyone else with a 2013 13" MBA have the frame sort of... popping? When I put my palms on the palmrest portion of the frame it makes a clicking/popping sound, sort of like the sound the trackpad makes. I tried tightening up the bottom panel (it wasn't loose or anything, though) and it didn't really make a difference. It's only doing it sometimes but it's driving me loving crazy.

Apparently it's not just me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Apparently it's not just me.

I think y'all should visit your local fruit stand about that. Unibody macbooks shouldn't "pop" and if I bought one that did, I'd be out for bloodan immediate replacement.

Edit: AFAIK, there aren't any plastic clips holding the unibody shell together. To me, it's more likely that there's a stripped screw somewhere- which is absolutely a manufacturing defect. If more than one computer's got it then they're probably from the same production run. Applecare/the first year warranty should at least cover a repair.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had a 2011 15" Macbook Pro that made the same popping sound near the palm rest. I tried tightening the screws on the outside and even the ones holding down the battery, hard drive, or optical inside and it kept making the noise randomly. Drove me crazy and I just returned it to Apple. The replacement didn't make any noise.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I had the same problem on my Macbook Air. The rubber foot in the corner was a millimeter shorter than the others so it was hanging in the air. When I put my hand on the corner it got pushed into the table with a clicking noise. I put some tape on the foot and it stopped. I returned it anyways because why not?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think y'all should visit your local fruit stand about that. Unibody macbooks shouldn't "pop" and if I bought one that did, I'd be out for bloodan immediate replacement.

Yeah I figure I probably will, but I used to work at the closest one to me and one of the Geniuses there didn't really get along with me very well (simply put, she's not very good at what she does, and I had to constantly correct her). If I get her by random chance there's a pretty good possibility she'll just tell me to gently caress off because it's a problem I can't reproduce consistently.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Just bought a 13" Air online today :dance:, and was looking for a slim, sleek, and cheap sleeve to keep it in when traveling. I was looking at sleeves like this which close using magnets, but some reviews mention that using the Air on top of the case made their backlight go out requiring repair because of the magnets, or at the very least, make it go to sleep. Is this really something I should be wary of? I know magnets + HDD = bad day, but with a SSD and the weak magnets in the case, I wouldn't think there would be any problems.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Cawd Rud posted:

Just bought a 13" Air online today :dance:, and was looking for a slim, sleek, and cheap sleeve to keep it in when traveling. I was looking at sleeves like this which close using magnets, but some reviews mention that using the Air on top of the case made their backlight go out requiring repair because of the magnets, or at the very least, make it go to sleep. Is this really something I should be wary of? I know magnets + HDD = bad day, but with a SSD and the weak magnets in the case, I wouldn't think there would be any problems.

Those padded manila envelopes make a pretty funny case, and they're not expensive at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cawd Rud posted:

I was looking at sleeves like this which close using magnets, but some reviews mention that using the Air on top of the case made their backlight go out requiring repair because of the magnets, or at the very least, make it go to sleep. Is this really something I should be wary of?

The issue is that the Air uses magnets as its latch- which also tell the computer to go to sleep (or power the built-in screen off when it's plugged into an external monitor) when you close it.

Using it on top of a case with magnets trips that switch, tricking the computer into thinking that you've closed the lid.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 12, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cawd Rud posted:

Don't be a cheapskate go the extra mile:
http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases-mac.php

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Foiltha posted:

They're apparently working on a software fix for it: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/29/apple-testing-software-update-to-address-2013-macbook-air-wi-fi-issues/

I'm sort of stressed out about that bug because my new MBA should be arriving next week :(

I took it in to the apple store and they told me there was nothing they could do and I just had to wait for a fix. I couldn't reproduce the issue on their wifi so I thought it was my router going bad. I went home and changed the wireless security settings and that fixed it. Thanks, apple.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I just brought my Macbook Air 2013 13" Home and the battery life has been around 6.5 hours.

This doesn't seem normal, I haven't gone crazy with the brightness but this is my first mac and I'm not sure if I'm making a newbie mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oceanlife posted:

I just brought my Macbook Air 2013 13" Home and the battery life has been around 6.5 hours.

This doesn't seem normal, I haven't gone crazy with the brightness but this is my first mac and I'm not sure if I'm making a newbie mistake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Spotlight going nuts indexing your drive? Watching Youtube/Netflix? Playing any games?

Battery life is affected by a lot of things beyond your screen brightness.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What stuff have been doing with it? What programs, games, websites have you used.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Bluetooth, Steam (no games), Skype, Facetime, web browsing.

I noticed the problem as soon as I set my mail up, it was showing 12 hours at the Apple Store. I'm thinking the constant syncing could be doing it?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Steam causes my kernel process to spike up to 25% cpu when it downloads stuff, and runs at a pretty constant 2-5% itself no matter what. It was killing my battery pretty fast so I only run it when I'm actually using it now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oceanlife posted:

I noticed the problem as soon as I set my mail up, it was showing 12 hours at the Apple Store. I'm thinking the constant syncing could be doing it?

Mail shouldn't really do that. Were the websites you visited Flash or Silverlight heavy? Youtube or Netflix as was mentioned?

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Joe Don Baker posted:

Mail shouldn't really do that. Were the websites you visited Flash or Silverlight heavy? Youtube or Netflix as was mentioned?

I haven't messed with the videos yet. Is there an App to determine what the sources of the battery drain are? I would be going to Task Manager if this were windows but I don't know if there is an equivalent.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Oceanlife posted:

I haven't messed with the videos yet. Is there an App to determine what the sources of the battery drain are? I would be going to Task Manager if this were windows but I don't know if there is an equivalent.

The next version of OS X will have this built in (you'll be able to just click on the battery icon in the menu bar and it'll tell you what's sucking up your battery), but for now you should just use Activity Monitor (the OS X equivalent of Task Manager). It's in the Utilities folder your Applications folder, but it's probably easier if you just type in "activity monitor" in Spotlight (the little magnifying glass in the top right of your screen).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oceanlife posted:

Steam really eats up CPU cycles while downloading/installing things and isn't particularly lightweight even when "idling". Skype and FaceTime can burn through some battery too, depending on how long you use them for. Flash ads while browsing don't help either. Also, since the machine was fresh out of the box I'd be willing to bet that Spotlight was doing its initial indexing of your system for a while there.

Also, the Mac equivalent of Task Manager is called Activity Monitor. You can find it in /Applications/Utilities.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Oceanlife posted:

Steam is not good at being idle when you're not using it - try quitting it to see if your battery life gets better. Also, the syncing and indexing and setting up activity that you're likely doing right after getting a new computer will drain the battery more than a 'normal day' worth of usage.

The Activity Monitor app in /Applications/Utilities is the OS X equivalent to Windows' Task Manager.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Action Jackson! posted:

I bought this exact configuration a couple of weeks ago and it's a great machine. You'll enjoy it.

I just got this (minus the storage upgrade, I use mostly cloud storage and store on my desktop) and it is freakin' great. So glad I didn't hold out even longer and VERY happy to have saved the money I would have spent on a Retina. It's chugging along beautifully in Illustrator and Photoshop, although I haven't done anything yet that might trigger PS flickering issues, and no wifi issues so far. Regardless it is obviously more than capable of handling everything I need it for, and looks sharp as hell too. I love how small it is compared to my old 15" pro, it's going to be so much nicer carrying this thing around too.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Thanks for the help so far. Steam is using 25-27% of my CPU and Mail is using 34-42%.

I'm not sure what mail could possibly be doing unless it's downloading every attachment I ever had.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're really concerned about the battery take it to an Apple Store and they can run a battery test on it to tell you the 'health' of it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oceanlife posted:

Thanks for the help so far. Steam is using 25-27% of my CPU and Mail is using 34-42%.

I'm not sure what mail could possibly be doing unless it's downloading every attachment I ever had.

For a fresh laptop the mail app will download insane amounts of email.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

If you're really concerned about the battery take it to an Apple Store and they can run a battery test on it to tell you the 'health' of it.

There is no need to go to an Apple Store to get a battery's "health" checked. Use Coconut Battery or just look up the information in System Information.app

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oneiros posted:

There is no need to go to an Apple Store to get a battery's "health" checked. Use Coconut Battery or just look up the information in System Information.app

Yeah for a relatively new Haswell laptop it should be around 7100-6800 mAh.

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 13, 2013

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Cross posting because one of you guys should be awesome and buy my 2012 15" rMBP base model. $1500 shipped (saves ~$200 over refurb) and I'll throw in the $100 app store gift card I get when I buy the Air from the Apple Education Store.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559622

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Selklubber posted:

I had the same problem on my Macbook Air. The rubber foot in the corner was a millimeter shorter than the others so it was hanging in the air. When I put my hand on the corner it got pushed into the table with a clicking noise. I put some tape on the foot and it stopped. I returned it anyways because why not?

I just opened up mine and I have this issue too.

e:

On another note, what's the best way to migrate my stuff (including bootcamp with Windows 7) from a 2010 MBP to a 2013 Air?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 14, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
OK, so this is weird. While looking at this I can't see the 3% black bar on my 27" Apple Cinema Display, unless I have open the Display Calibration window. It doesn't seem to matter what the settings are, just that it's open.

WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
So if I just want to make beep boop sounds and haven't bought a Mac before is a Macbook gonna work? Or should I go ahead and save up for a Pro? I ain't no DJ, but I'd like to play with their toys basically.