Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Thief posted:

Yeah, the Kittyhawk is really fun.

Germany has some good planes.

Admit to me that the skin is lame as gently caress.

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skwee posted:

Rank 4 zero has giant pontoon and is slow as hell. good for fighting bi-planes though

It's slow, but that plane is wickedly maneuverable and has fantastic firepower for its tier. Another standout at low tiers is the two P-36 variants. This plane's flaw is it's abysmal roll rate, like stupidly slow. However it has a fantastic pitch rate, using S to turn is very fast. This actually encourages the high yoyo in turn fights since rolling 90 degrees to turn flat is so slow. Good firepower too, 4x.50. I tried it out when I noticed they'd been added, and just gave up on the un-fun tier 8/9 Americans that I'd been stuck with; 2 P-36, P-40, A-20, TBF is a fun lineup. Use the roll rate to your advantage and they're among the very best tier 2/3 planes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I thought P-36 was 3x.308 and 1x.50?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

mlmp08 posted:

Admit to me that the skin is lame as gently caress.

Do it.

Yeah... :smith:

Many unlockable skins are either boring or so similar it's pointless but having an option is nice. Some of the other 109F skins are actually pretty neat. I usually use this:

And this for snowy maps:

109's in general are my favorite plane:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

We nearly lost this loving game because pubbies.

4 of those ground kills are destroyers and one is the heavy cruiser.

I feel sorry for the guy who's in last place. He was actually trying for ground targets and avoiding getting killed, but I kept getting to stuff just before he did and ground targets are worth gently caress all points or lions.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 12, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just had a rather decent match in HB as USA. Against Germany no less. I was playing spotter for our team, and we went two on one with every single 109 that came our way. I only got one kill and a half dozen ground targets, but I had a respectable 30000 payout at the end. We beat the crap out of them.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Thief posted:

Yeah... :smith:

Many unlockable skins are either boring or so similar it's pointless but having an option is nice. Some of the other 109F skins are actually pretty neat. I usually use this:

I dont like any of the skins, far more prefer just going Polish checkerboard decal made huge:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I haven't really spent too much time puttin' decnals on my plane but one caught my eye:

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG

Have I told you how glad I am that night battles hardly ever happen anymore?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

fermun posted:

I dont like any of the skins, far more prefer just going Polish checkerboard decal made huge:

how do you get it to roll down the side of the fuselage like that properly? I can get it to wrap around the wings and stuff, but not to paint more than just the top.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

how do you get it to roll down the side of the fuselage like that properly? I can get it to wrap around the wings and stuff, but not to paint more than just the top.

Hitting T while placing the decal should do the trick.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

az posted:

61b Hien

I guess I am weird, but you will not do much on Hien, unless you're against USA. Level 7 Zero is not that great either, because it is really low on ammunition for cannons.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

As Robot Randy said, hit T. That is actually 2 decals there, I lined them up just how I wanted them so that they flow together better there. The best part is hitting WEP, as the throttle changes the paint on the prop forms different patterns, moving faster and slower. It's an incredibly gratifying little detail they put in.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
So in the OP is says that buying Wing of Prey will unlock some missions as well as some hitlerbux, but I saw that somebody also said it unlocks some planes as well? Steam is running 50% off and I'm wondering if it's worth cashing in $10 bucks for Wings if it also includes some premium planes.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
Speaking of Wings of Prey, I own it both and the dlc, how do I even get the activation code for it? Steam doesn't have any CD keys listed.

Edit: Nevermind, I just had to start downloading the game to get it.

Raften fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 12, 2013

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
USA gets a new biplane in the next patch:

:911:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Korbin posted:

I want more of them. They are amazing. Am I the only one?

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

No way, I love night battles. It seems like a much more frantic brawl that way.

Edit: My game just booted me off for server maintenance and now it downloaded a rather small patch.

Edit2: The version has gone from .44.0 to .46.0.

They fixed the gunners being drunk and not pointing straight and ordnance resetting. :woop:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/48171-update-120713-131460/

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 12, 2013

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

BillyJoeBob posted:

No way, I love night battles. It seems like a much more frantic brawl that way.

Edit: My game just booted me off for server maintenance and now it downloaded a rather small patch.

Edit2: The version has gone from .44.0 to .46.0.

They fixed the gunners being drunk and not pointing straight and ordnance resetting. :woop:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/48171-update-120713-131460/

Gaijin posted:

Fixed: gunner aiming (they were aiming in wrong direction sometimes)

:psyduck: Does this mean my maxed out gunners might actually hit something now?

Because that would change everything

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

I really hope so as right now you pretty much HAVE to man a turret to get any kills.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

I think, or at least hope that it was the manual gunning they fixed. The gunners would not aim where you aimed but would only fire straight behind them which more often meant fiery death for you instead of the tailgater.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
New Tank Screenshots were posted today -

Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L (year 1942 modification)

T-34 (year 1941 modification with welded turret)

Given how almost OTT they are going with these tanks in terms of detail, its probably a fair guess that they are going to be very historically accurate in terms of abilities e.g. ranges, speed, armour penetration etc. Which will make the tanks part of this game something very special.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/208/current/

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
So are the plane/ship/tank modes going to be tied together, or will they always be separate? Will I ever be able to strafe players in tanks, or is this game just going to be World of Plane/Tanks/Warships existing individually in the same game?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

So are the plane/ship/tank modes going to be tied together, or will they always be separate? Will I ever be able to strafe players in tanks, or is this game just going to be World of Plane/Tanks/Warships existing individually in the same game?

Pretty sure they said they would have various combinations of the 3, including all 3 at once.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Artless Meat posted:

Pretty sure they said they would have various combinations of the 3, including all 3 at once.

HB: Operation Overlord

Nothing but German land units trying to cross the map without getting strafed to death. Hope you like hedges and/or ditches!

I'm kinda curious what the extent of naval bombardment would be, considering battleships were floating artillery barrages. Bonus points if planes can get knocked out of the air by flying shells.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Bonus points if planes can get knocked out of the air by flying shells.

Has this ever actually happened? I've always wondered that when playing games. It has to be possible.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
As others have said they are tied together. World War mode is basically the clan massive battle field, that will be using Air, land and sea forces on same map to take areas. Thats the only one confirmed where its mixed but its believed Full Real Battles will also be mixed forces all the time. Beyond that they may have mixed Air, Land and Sea Arcade and Historical modes as well, to go with the Air only / land only / Sea only modes.

Its at least 3 months before anyone actually sees the Land forces in game.

Also this weekend has another event -

quote:

From 4pm GMT (9am PDT) 12th of July to 6am GMT 15th of July (11pm PDT 14th of July) War Thunder presents weekend special!

x5 experience bonus for the first victory
Special 20% discount for purchase price and repair costs and 30% more experience on the following planes: HS-129B-2, JU-87G-1, JU-87G-2, IL-2, IL-2M

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

Has this ever actually happened? I've always wondered that when playing games. It has to be possible.

I have a distinct memory of reading about it somewhere, but I have no idea where. I think at the very least there's a strong possibility it could have happened at some point simply due to the massive amount of shells and planes that were involved. That, and the fact that it wouldn't even be close to the strangest thing that happened during the war.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have a distinct memory of reading about it somewhere, but I have no idea where. I think at the very least there's a strong possibility it could have happened at some point simply due to the massive amount of shells and planes that were involved. That, and the fact that it wouldn't even be close to the strangest thing that happened during the war.

On that note:

And there's also been at least one occurence of a good old ram:

Otroschenkov Sergei Adreyevich posted:

I remembered one episode which had occurred back in that area. We were prepared for attack. An artillery bombardment was ongoing. Up in the sky there was a dogfight between two fighter aircraft. A German Messerschmitt (Bf 109) and our Lavochkin La-5 were spinning around overhead spitting at each other with machine guns and cannons. We were watching them peeping out from the tank. It was interesting, though unsafe. Tracer streaks of their bursts every now and then were raking the ground near us and banged on the tank armor. The aircraft would close in and bank apart, but none could take an upper hand. At the end they found themselves in a head on encounter. The pilots in a head on attack continued firing at each other. After a few seconds a clap rang out and a heap of burning metal fell to the ground. Neither of them had veered aside and both died. For a few seconds none of us could say a word. We were deeply impressed.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I think the first man to get a confirmed kill with his plane did it by ramming the fucker. Also the IL-2 was allegedly really good at ramming because it had so much steel in it you could breeze through the wooden planes.

First air-air kill http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Nesterov

Oppenheimer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2013

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Perestroika posted:

On that note:

You got to wonder what the view from that bomber's bombsight looked like prior to release.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Rhopunzel posted:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/35825-interview-with-pavel-kulikov-war-thunders-executive-producer/

"surely we will make combats for both airplanes and ground units controlled by the players on the same map, but still we will provide the opportunities for our players to take part in airplane-only or ground-force-only games."

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
This B-24 was taken down by "AA fire" but if you watch the video you can see a bomb drop into it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nippythefish posted:

You got to wonder what the view from that bomber's bombsight looked like prior to release.

If they were using the Norden bombsight, they probably never even saw the plane directly below them. Or maybe the planes aligned like that at the last second and the automation started dropping before somebody managed to turn it off.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Korbin posted:

Did they happen often? I've never even seen one and didn't realise they were a thing. Is it only in a particular mode they appear?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Clarence posted:

Did they happen often? I've never even seen one and didn't realise they were a thing. Is it only in a particular mode they appear?

I've had them flying Jap historics a few times. It was pretty rough for me as a bomber. Rockets out of nowhere up my rear end.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Oppenheimer posted:

I think the first man to get a confirmed kill with his plane did it by ramming the fucker. Also the IL-2 was allegedly really good at ramming because it had so much steel in it you could breeze through the wooden planes.

First air-air kill http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Nesterov

The best part:

quote:

On 25 August 1914, after using a pistol to fire unsuccessfully at the Austrian Albatros B.II reconnaissance aircraft of observer Baron Friedrich von Rosenthal and pilot Franz Malina from FLIK 11, he used his Morane-Saulnier Type G monoplane (s/n 281) to ram it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Hughmoris posted:

The best part:

quote:

His ramming method was used during the Second World War by a number of Soviet pilots with success and without their loss of life. The air-combat technique of ramming Nesterov pioneered became known in Russian as taran
Ramming is a technique :sun:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Bonus points if planes can get knocked out of the air by flying shells.

Apparently German tank ace Otto Carius shot down a plane with one of his Tigers, well his gunner did at least.
An excerpt from "Tigers in the mud":

Otto Carius posted:

On the other hand, we had a lot of trouble with the Russian fighters. They "lurched" past us, almost without a break. That's really the way one has to describe that type of flying. My gunner, Unteroffizier Kramer, can take credit for a deed that was probably unparalleled on the Eastern Front. That is, he succeeded in shooting down a Russian fighter with the tank cannon. Of course, he was also helped by chance. This was how it happened. Kramer, upset by the unrelenting nuisance of these guys, elevated his cannon along the approach route. I talked him in. He took a chance and pulled the trigger. On the second attempt, he hit one of the "bees" in its wing. The Russian crashed behind us. On the same day, we received yet another breather; two Russians collided and tore each other apart before crashing.

Apparently arcade has some realism in it at least, Mine? Minemineminemineminemine.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Ramming is a technique :sun:
Just link in chat to that article anytime some idiot complains about you ramming them! :black101:

• Locked thread