Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I looked at Shamo because it seemed kinda interesting but it's going nowhere, does it ever actually get interesting?

So far it's like the Kane and Lynch of manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you don't like the first arc of Shamo you probably won't like the rest. That's the best part.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

If you don't like the first arc of Shamo you probably won't like the rest. That's the best part.

I ended up reading it some more, and it's certainly something.

Everything with Suwagara and his parents especially. I didn't expect him to manage to kill Suwagara, for some reason though.

All in all it's rather gripping even if Ryo has no likable traits at all. In the end it didn't matter how happy or miserable he was, I guess, or whatever the ending was trying to get accross. If anything.

It's not the Kane and Lynch of manga, it's the Postal of it. :haw:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 11, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anatharon posted:

All in all it's rather gripping even if Ryo has no likable traits at all.

Uh, about that...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Breaky posted:

Uh, about that...

Which part to you take issue with there?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anatharon posted:

Which part to you take issue with there?

Oh, no issue. That's Ryo pretty much forever. If you're enjoying it keep going. There's only really one kinda bad arc in the whole thing. I liked it a lot so far.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

HenryEx posted:

Qualia the Purple

I guess this one serves as a fair warning: Some rants about quantum theories and philosophic concepts. All pretty accurate.

Thanks for this, it's really cool, although I'm not a fan of the art style, nor of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics. I prefer to think that Marii can just see reality a lot better, not that she creates reality through observation; I'm reminded of SCP-1193 and one of the comments to it: "Its dream-logic about ovens and cakes and casts and invulnerability is the way the world works, not a deluded fantasy by a buried giant. The Foundation's attempts to rigorously study it are futile, because reason itself is a bizarre delusion. [...] That's what the barely-disguised contempt by the voice on the other end of the phone is. We could help it climb out of its oven, or get its hand out of the jelly jar, if only we understood a few basic facts about the universe. The same facts which the person who installed the telephone understood to a degree that he thought the arm was unremarkable.". But I guess this thread isn't the place for this

It seems to move at a brisk pace too (a foreign exchange student subplot that lasts a single chapter? what are the chances? :v:)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are the Onani Master Kurosawa Death Note jokes from the original or just a joke the editor made because of the resemblence between him and Light? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Joshlemagne posted:

Don't know if you've read Sasameki Koto but It's pretty good. I actually just saw today that it's completed so I'll have to finish it up myself.

This was alright. Not really great, kinda too much padding, some pointless characters, one of my least-favorite tropes in romances, but an alright read nonetheless.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The Ravages of Time (pic is from Volume 30, Chapter 244):

Scanlation's gone up to Volume 49, Chapter 394, although the consistency isn't great because there's been multiple teams scanlating it over the years, often with mixed quality at best.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sometimes great manga don't have any particular pages that stand out, so here's a couple of cool new chapter pages from Paradise Kiss.

These are crappy scans, everyone should just buy the new printing of it.

And some Girl Friends for good measure:

Chortles posted:

Whoa, that looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 14, 2013

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Chortles posted:

Scanlation's gone up to Volume 49, Chapter 394, although the consistency isn't great because there's been multiple teams scanlating it over the years, often with mixed quality at best.

could you suggest a translation that is good. ones i have found have been confusing to read.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
God of Highschool

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ughhhh posted:

could you suggest a translation that is good. ones i have found have been confusing to read.
Unfortunately it seems like each team chose to simply continue where the prior team left off instead of going back and re-translating earlier chapters, hence what I said about the scanlating.

a kitten posted:

Whoa, that looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out.
Crap, I really should have prefaced that with a "severe art evolution" warning (here's an example of "very early on")... thankfully it improves drastically, relatively fast. There's also an early martial arts focus and a deluge of characters that was apparently due to the author feeling rushed, but basically upon Volume 7 (Chapter 51) he slowed things down thankfully and toned down the action in favor of strategy, plotting and mind games. If you can put up with the sheer amount of fangirling, someone on Tumblr has done up synopses for Volumes 1-7 which can hopefully help with figuring out what's going on (from the perspective of someone who's already reading the most recent chapters) as you're reading.

If you'd like/want a kickass sample chapter that thankfully doesn't actually give away much story-wise (you'd have had to have read the preceding parts to be spoiled, so to speak) and benefits from the current art style, because there's almost no names and mostly context-free fighting... I'd absolutely say Volume 48, Chapter 392.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
One image folks, one image.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Fabricated posted:

Another :black101: as gently caress spread from The Breaker: New Waves

The thing can drag rear end between these moments but when it gets going it owns.

Just read that. Was so into it, then suddenly "The next chapter isn't released yet". WAY TO STONE WALL THE BADASSERY!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Yowamushi Pedal

EDIT: Found a better picture. I will not violate the 1-picture rule!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 15, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sailor Moon

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

a kitten posted:

Sailor Moon

What's going on here? It looks really pretty, but confusing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pigasus posted:

What's going on here? It looks really pretty, but confusing.

Read it and find out!
or
It's Sailor Moon stabbing herself after being forced to kill a (possesed) Tuxedo Mask
But you should read sailor moon anyway, because it owns.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Ajin.

It's new and fresh and I don't know what's even going on here but I like it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that just a fragmented sentence or bad grammar?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Fragment. I obviously don't want to be posting two images here but the thing is repeating parts of what were said on the previous page.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This B Gata H Kei series takes F O R E V E R to get going and was super cliche for a while, but it's actually turning out pretty great with actual character development. I'm a bit surprised this series was in Weekly Shounen Jump though considering the amount of nudity they show in it at times.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Manga No Tsukurikata is a manga about a mangaka, her friend who is also a mangaka(and ditzy, and madly in love with her), and the first mangaka's slightly creepy brother. This page is unedited panel-wise and comes completely out of left field, but the response is perfect.

It ain't the best series ever, and it's only just come off scanlation hiatus, but hopefully the new scanlators will push out the rest of the series in a timely manner. I did enjoy reading it and the ditzy mangaka's enthusiasm is pretty infectious/amusing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 26, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Manga No Tsukurikata doesn't really go anywhere. The first mangaka don't really have much creativity or motivation, it advertises itself as a yuri story yet goes absolutely nowhere with the 'ditzy' mangaka's futile crush on an uninterested woman who's only using her for her mangaka talents, and it takes forever for anything significant to happen. In short, reading it's an exercise in boredom. If you want stories about mangaka, there're more compelling ones, and if you want same-sex love between women, there're stories with actual relationships.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 26, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you read the rest of it, the stuff that's not translated yet or something? I didn't think it was super bad, like I said, not the best, but I found it inoffensive and it was only about an hour's read, so not a huge time investment either.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I formed my impression off what's translated so far. The reviews I've seen of further material only cemented my opinion. But opinions can differ.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Ocha nigosu

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Thermae Romae

The story of a 2nd century Roman architect who is one day transported while bathing to a bathhouse in modern Japan.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrSunshine posted:

Thermae Romae

The story of a 2nd century Roman architect who is one day transported while bathing to a bathhouse in modern Japan.

The anime was pretty great too!

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Centaur no Nayami

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
One Punch Man by ONE

One Punch Man by Murata is a redraw of the original (pictured above), which you can find here. Read that first - the translation for ONE's version picks up right where Murata's version just caught up to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Thermae Romae

I'm only two chapters in and I'm already planning to buy the books(when I can get them for less than 20 dollars each). This is absurd, and amazing. Thanks Mister Sunshine!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm only two chapters in and I'm already planning to buy the books(when I can get them for less than 20 dollars each). This is absurd, and amazing. Thanks Mister Sunshine!

There is also a movie about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmFSflNiQU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

GentlemanGiant posted:

Centaur no Nayami

I read the first few chapters and really thought this was just going to be creep-bait like every single other monster-girl comic out there, but it's actually kind of sweet :3:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Immortal Rain

...it's actually shoujo, believe it or not.

EDIT: Okay, I couldn't decide between these two, so I'm adding a second image.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Yuri Mekuru Hibi

• Locked thread