Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rhopunzel posted:

Has this ever actually happened? I've always wondered that when playing games. It has to be possible.

At least once, in Vietnam in 1967.

http://www.c-7acaribou.com/album/photos/photo02.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
This game rules so hard. Got 10 air to air kills in the Blenheim as well as an air to air rocket kill with the MKII Hurricane. Also Pro-Tip: Keep a reserve plane in your lineup for ramming purposes they rule at it due to their great agility, taken out a few planes that way.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySd9QyzAlU

This is one of the most controlled rams I've seen. Neither of us took damage.

The guy softly pushed my tail up in an attempt to make me nosedive into the water. What a gentleman. :wotwot:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Rhopunzel posted:

Has this ever actually happened? I've always wondered that when playing games. It has to be possible.

Yes. I'm on a phone, so linking is a pain but a USAF Caribou was shot down by a US army howitzer unit when it flew over the battery as a fire mission kicked off. It blew the tail off, and killed all on board.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Streaming right now, http://www.twitch.tv/keeket

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I guess some WT superstar :rolleyes: is running massive B-17 squads. We just wrecked his team.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Killed his B17 pilot in one pass in my Zero. :japan:

http://www.twitch.tv/jj__jonas/b/429652173 @ 1hour 40min

Thief fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 13, 2013

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Holy poo poo H6K4s are hilarious. Spent an entire round of Domination just circling and getting shot, with near the whole team chasing me. They finally forced me to crash land on their held airfield(I didn't have wings), so I downed three more of them while I was sitting there. Thought I died, but no, I actually got to repair and do it all over again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TerminalBlue posted:

Holy poo poo H6K4s are hilarious. Spent an entire round of Domination just circling and getting shot, with near the whole team chasing me. They finally forced me to crash land on their held airfield(I didn't have wings), so I downed three more of them while I was sitting there. Thought I died, but no, I actually got to repair and do it all over again.

Yeah, it's a giant honeypot for people who don't know how to attack bombers. You can just dive right through a big ball of enemies with it and then spend the next few minutes leisurely picking off those poor fools who went charging after you.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's a giant honeypot for people who don't know how to attack bombers. You can just dive right through a big ball of enemies with it and then spend the next few minutes leisurely picking off those poor fools who went charging after you.

What is the best way to take them down? I usually build up heaps of speed a good distance under them then swoop up and nail them with rockets.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rockets are good, ramming them in the tail is great, but they wont crash until minutes later so you dont get any credit.
Coming head on and below is best. It gives plenty of shots at the pilot and there are no guns there.

Coming from behind below is fine too, but there isnt much critical to hit. You can rack up plenty of xp on hits though.
When you are attacking from below dont climb past the bomber, turn instead. Climbing up will get you killed so fast.

I just fly really low over water so no one gets below me. I can safely crash land and continue to shoot. Aircobras are my only real threat

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thief posted:

I hadn't noticed just how douchily excited he was to be fighting Japan with so many B-17s at 1:35 or so until I rewound it. I missed that live last night. His joy fades so quickly. :getin:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Haha please tell me that HB was an American loss (seems like it'd be with all the failed planes).

All those B17s looked really cool though; I wish we got strategic bombing missions so that B17s and such play their historical role.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Archer2338 posted:

Haha please tell me that HB was an American loss (seems like it'd be with all the failed planes).

All those B17s looked really cool though; I wish we got strategic bombing missions so that B17s and such play their historical role.

Yeah, they lost, and we still had at least 3 planes up at the end.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Thief posted:

HAHAHA...."stream that bro". Class. :buddy:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Thief posted:

Beautiful.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Thief posted:

You guys are national hero's.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Thief posted:

The only redeeming factor about this guy, is his hat.

Well played. I guess you lit his fire.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Flying a ton of b-17's is exactly what I want in this game so even though he looks like a douche it's still pretty awesome.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

jownzy posted:

The only redeeming factor about this guy, is his hat.

Au contraire, his hat matched his douchiness perfectly. :smuggo:

Elendil004 posted:

Flying a ton of b-17's is exactly what I want in this game so even though he looks like a douche it's still pretty awesome.

I had to skip forward to that match after Michi's match in the beginning. I'm amazed that anyone wants to stick around with him with his constant "who said that?----banned!" bullshit.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

nippythefish posted:

Au contraire, his hat matched his douchiness perfectly. :smuggo:

I had to skip forward to that match after Michi's match in the beginning. I'm amazed that anyone wants to stick around with him with his constant "who said that?----banned!" bullshit.

But you see, then they might wind up in his steam and also be e-famous.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just racked up 8 kills in my 5th tier IL2 because people are kept frontal attacking me. I kept killing their pilots.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Try the following for hi-octane tear harvesting:

"I don't know why you're so mad... I mean, this game's not that hard. All I really did was put my mouse cursor over your plane and shoot."

nippythefish posted:

HAHAHA...."stream that bro". Class. :buddy:

:f5h::ninja::respek::buddy:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thief posted:

Try the following for hi-octane tear harvesting:

"I don't know why you're so mad... I mean, this game's not that hard. All I really did was put my mouse cursor over your plane and shoot."

From the chat in that stream:

WT superstar Tophat posted:

the keyboard warriors will overrun us

They sure did. :smug:

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
All of a sudden I got 600 extra eagles seemingly at random. How much of a reward do you get from an invited player buying eagles?

Followup what's a good <800 GE premium

Oppenheimer fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 14, 2013

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I'm just a few pixels away from unlocking the Me 163. Here's a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTZFS4yzSM&t=600s

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The H6K4 has become my favorite plane. Flying low and slow and manning the guns is a blast.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Thief posted:

Banzai!

Beautiful, and spot on with the comment :v:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

ukle posted:

Given how almost OTT they are going with these tanks in terms of detail, its probably a fair guess that they are going to be very historically accurate in terms of abilities e.g. ranges, speed, armour penetration etc. Which will make the tanks part of this game something very special.

Given how almost OTT they are going with weapon Models in the CoD:MW Series in terms of detail, its probably a fair guess that they are very accurate in terms of abilities e.g. ranges, (terminal) ballistics, recoil behavior etc. Which makes the CoD:MW Series something very special.

Well, I want the War Thunder Tank part to be awesome, cause they already look very nice. But I'm kind of worried that the only info we ever get are nice, super polished screenshots and no info about how the actual gameplay will work. I see a lot of people super hyped for the WT Tanks, but the only hard info we have atm is, that they look nice and that you'll get plane-raped a lot. At least the later part is something that I would imagine with them releasing the first tank screenshots a few months back together with a buff to anti-tank effectivness of the air to ground rockets.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

Given how almost OTT they are going with weapon Models in the CoD:MW Series in terms of detail, its probably a fair guess that they are very accurate in terms of abilities e.g. ranges, (terminal) ballistics, recoil behavior etc. Which makes the CoD:MW Series something very special.

Yeah, a shotgun with a kill range of roughly 5 feet is pretty realistic in every way.

Oh wait, it's an arcade shooter that has nothing to do with realism.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Same can be said about the biggest part of War Thunder, the one that always has players and no waiting time. That features unlimited ammo, a very abstract damage model, mid-air reload and a very brought interpretation of flight physics. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that part very, very much... but the screenshots we got do not realy allow for much interpretation beyond the fact that they look realy nice and it just weirds me out that people think that Gaijin will get us a new modern Panzer Elite (the old one) when we have zero info about gameplay and mechanics and we still see some rather weird behavior of some planes even in HB battles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

Same can be said about the biggest part of War Thunder, the one that always has players and no waiting time. That features unlimited ammo, a very abstract damage model, mid-air reload and a very brought interpretation of flight physics. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that part very, very much... but the screenshots we got do not realy allow for much interpretation beyond the fact that they look realy nice and it just weirds me out that people think that Gaijin will get us a new modern Panzer Elite (the old one) when we have zero info about gameplay and mechanics and we still see some rather weird behavior of some planes even in HB battles.

Clearly my sarcasm detector was on the fritz due to lack of sleep.

Yeah, if that's your point I pretty much agree. Though modeling tanks accurately would be about a hundred times easier than modeling planes accurately.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Zaodai posted:

Clearly my sarcasm detector was on the fritz due to lack of sleep.

Yeah, if that's your point I pretty much agree. Though modeling tanks accurately would be about a hundred times easier than modeling planes accurately.

This 1000 times. Tanks tend to be way way more intuitive to shitlords than planes will ever be so its possible to get alot more hyper sperg and make a fun game out of them than it is with planes. The real question is if the tanks game will be a comparable amount of fun to WoT, because if its not then no one will probably ever use tanks except for clans or whatever.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just got teamkilled 3 times by the same dude. Once from him shooting me when there were no other planes around, and twice from him shooting and then ramming me, which "credited" him with the kill each time.

Same match, I also got a 75,000 lion trophy. Thanks, random angry pubbie.

Do I buy an La-7 or IL-10? I love ground attack, but I also love my La-5.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
keep using your la5, the 7 isnt any better when you consider MM.
Get the il-10 and farm HB ground targets with it until you can afford the 7.
Set convergence to 300 and you can easily kill 25+ targets in one reload. You only need to single click targets, dont even hold the trigger
On paper the il-10 is almost the same as the il-2m, but it has way more armor

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 14, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

keep using your la5, the 7 isnt any better when you consider MM.
Get the il-10 and farm HB ground targets with it until you can afford the 7.
Set convergence to 300 and you can easily kill 25+ targets in one reload. You only need to single click targets, dont even hold the trigger

So it's exactly what it looks like? A faster IL-2? Yeah, that sounds pretty neat.

My convergence is permanently set at 300 for cannon planes, 200 for 7.7 and 250 for .50cal.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Thief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySd9QyzAlU

This is one of the most controlled rams I've seen. Neither of us took damage.

The guy softly pushed my tail up in an attempt to make me nosedive into the water. What a gentleman. :wotwot:
I once did the opposite in my flying boat. Some MC200 comes at me from behind high, dives past my turrets and flies under me. I nose down and bodyslam his tiny little plane into a mountain. Then somebody else shoots out my elevators and I crash into the next ridge.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Everybody in Mumble is playing historical :argh:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Oppenheimer posted:

Everybody in Mumble is playing historical :argh:

This is wonderful news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, there is a thread in /r/Warthunder about 1.5 GB 1.32 patch on development server. This basically means, that they are running it through a public testing, and we can expect patch 1.33 to hit the live server within the month. Below I've written the information from comments of the thread on the upcoming patch.

What is there:
New splash screens.
Files for : la_5, pe_2_1, pe_2_31, pe_2_83, tb_3_m17_32, vampire, xf5f.

What might be there:
Steam integration.
Bomber cockpits - most likely that no.
Flight model or damage model changes, or changes to the physics in general.

• Locked thread