Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So did everyone enjoy this episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I enjoyed this episode because I irrationally hate Eren.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I liked it. Not much action but a lot of subtle world building. I like the concept of the Wall Religion. I mean, it's a lot more sensible to worship that than most of the stuff people really do! Kind of funny how in the military court everyone just glares the entire time that guy's talking though.

Honestly, it was a pretty undisciplined court, but I guess it was a more vehicle for getting everyone's perspective out there than a real court. Both in the story, and in the world.

The court scene is right up there with the "please don't kill us" scene as far as scenes showcasing interesting conflicting perspectives... and I'm glad this one wasn't dragged out by the anime past the point of toleration. It helped that people kept narrating over the wall priest's ramblings so we didn't have to sit through that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Seeing Levi kick the poo poo out of Eren after his little rant was very nice. It was a pretty good sequence of events, very concise. Shame about the stills at the start of the episode.

The new ED is nice too.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Kild posted:

another pic of swole mikasa

oh eren, you fall for all the guys who are really good at killing titans.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kild posted:

So did everyone enjoy this episode?

I liked that the MP points out, entirely correctly, that Eren and Mikasa are both complete and utter psychopaths who killed three people in cold-ish blood when they were 9.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

"I paused at the wrong time."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, military trials can be pretty entertaining. I wonder if I should start watching JAG. Then again I doubt Catherine Bach gets up and loving kicks a dude in the teeth during any of those trials.

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012

Kild posted:

another pic of swole mikasa

Mikasa has become the living epitome of "do you even lift?" I'm convinced. Just look at her. That expression of utter disgust at the sheer nerve of those two to dare bare their abs when they're so out of shape. Why are they not working out right now? Goddamn slackers.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The new opening is very interesting. I was pretty sure the 'end boss' of the coming arc would be the, for lack of a better name, Horrifying Grin Titan. You know, the one that ate Eren's mom and gets several shots in the first OP. But if it actually is Eren's mom in a Titan body then that's even more tortuous.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Someone should make a gif of that science scout's face when she pops up against the bars of the cell :suspense:

As for the OP very nice actually, and hey Girl Titan That's Probably Mikasa and ties into the dudes accusing her of being the same as Eren in this episode. Didn't look buff enough to be her though! :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No. Eren's mom is dead. She got bitten in half after literally being wrung like you would a washcloth, though the biting was censored in the anime by her body apparently being part giant ketcup packet. It's hard to imagine a more gruesome end for someone, even Marco only got half his torso and part of his face gnawed off, he didn't get mangled and THEN chomped to bits.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 14, 2013

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Someone should make a gif of that science scout's face when she pops up against the bars of the cell :suspense:

As for the OP very nice actually, and hey Girl Titan That's Probably Mikasa and ties into the dudes accusing her of being the same as Eren in this episode. Didn't look buff enough to be her though! :v:

Ask and you shall receive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, have we ever seen Mikasa look anywhere near as murderous elsewhere in this show as she did when Levi was beating on Eren? Because if looks could flay, that dude would have left the room in a bucket.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, have we ever seen Mikasa look anywhere near as murderous elsewhere in this show as she did when Levi was beating on Eren? Because if looks could flay, that dude would have left the room in a bucket.

Usually she just gets cold. Hell, I don't think she even gave her kidnappers that kind of look before murdering them.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ah, yes, the clench-your-teeth defense, a classic lawyer tactic.

Crosscontaminant posted:

A bad frame! All anime is now ruined forever.

edit: vvvv Ah, no, I knew you were joking, I was just continuing the joke.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2013

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

The whole sequence with that character is like that, but since I was only trying to make lighthearted fun rather than complaining about the existence of bad frames your hyperbole feels rather misplaced!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I think I would be making dumb looking faces while fighting terrifying monsters too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Attack on Moe

contains Madoka spoilers

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGxA48HQ1g

The best one

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Regarding this week's episode, it's really nice to see that even with the extra time, so much of this week's episode was panning over still frames. What the hell are they even spending their time on?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Well, you can always rationalize it as them dedicating their efforts or budget to the amazing action scenes that surely lie ahead. We'll see if it's worth it.

This anime sure is popular in the west. That's pretty cool I guess.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harettazetta posted:

Regarding this week's episode, it's really nice to see that even with the extra time, so much of this week's episode was panning over still frames. What the hell are they even spending their time on?

Skipping a week helps, but animation takes much longer than that so it probably won't be anything super noticeable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'll take panning still frames as long as the Titan action looks good. What else do you want from a dialogue-heavy episode, honestly? Lots of spinning camera and dramatic zooms? Sure it'd be nice as if every show filled time the way Chihayafuru did, but I don't mind the pans as long as I care about what's being said.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
I really liked Eren ranting at the MPs the whole time thinking to himself "oh poo poo, I should really shut up, I am loving everything up" And my favorite part of Levi beating the ever living poo poo out of Eren was the guys who were just about to shoot him being just shocked and like, "Dude...dude, what the gently caress?"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You can frame a dialogue-heavy episode in a way that's not dull! There are a ton of shows that can consistently pull off some great shots for scenes that are just dialogue (see: plenty of Shaft shows, and they are usually low-budget to boot!). Attack on Titan just isn't one of them.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I loved Armin holding Mikasa back.

"Wait! This person beating the poo poo out of our friend might be on to something!"

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure I've captured the essence of that entire episode in one picture.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Srice posted:

You can frame a dialogue-heavy episode in a way that's not dull! There are a ton of shows that can consistently pull off some great shots for scenes that are just dialogue (see: plenty of Shaft shows, and they are usually low-budget to boot!). Attack on Titan just isn't one of them.

Shaft shows are a bad example, because 90% of them are comedies and stylized in a way that would stick out like a bloody, twisted, broken thumb in a less zany show. I would immediately make a "Who farted?" face if anyone in SnK did that stupid neck thing, for instance.

I think it's weird that I barely even notice how low fi the animation supposedly gets. I probably have some sort of mental process where I automatically tune out visually if there's a lot of yakking and dial back in whenever it sounds like an action scene is starting. The human brain is scary.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The limited animation honestly hasn't stuck out to me except for that terrible Annie edit in episode 13. As others have said, if they need to save their budget for the battle sequences it's okay by me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hopefully with the break they've managed to catch their breath and the broadcast animation will improve. :shobon:

OnimaruXLR posted:

Shaft shows are a bad example, because 90% of them are comedies and stylized in a way that would stick out like a bloody, twisted, broken thumb in a less zany show. I would immediately make a "Who farted?" face if anyone in SnK did that stupid neck thing, for instance.

I think it's weird that I barely even notice how low fi the animation supposedly gets. I probably have some sort of mental process where I automatically tune out visually if there's a lot of yakking and dial back in whenever it sounds like an action scene is starting. The human brain is scary.

For me my focus is usually stuck at the bottom half watching the subtitles, so that's probably why I don't notice off model frames.

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm pretty sure I've captured the essence of that entire episode in one picture.

I totally missed this, the sheer borderline yandere rage in Mikasa's expression is lovely. :allears:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 15, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Harettazetta posted:

I loved Armin holding Mikasa back.

"Wait! This person beating the poo poo out of our friend might be on to something!"
I personally love that Armin thought he could physically restrain Mikasa.

Armin, Mikasa can benchpress you with just her pinky finger, you only succeeded in restraining her because the two of you were in a courtroom.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Crosscontaminant posted:

Those 2-meter class ones disguised as the scouting legion are an endemic. If you look closely, when moving quickly they revert from their humanlike form. They have even shown basic use of tools.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Reposting from the PYF Awkward and Ugly thread:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RuBisCO posted:

Reposting from the PYF Awkward and Ugly thread:

Is that a custom or can you buy it somewhere?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You guys are acting as though you've never seen an anime butt mousepad before

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

AnonSpore posted:

You guys are acting as though you've never seen an anime butt mousepad before

How the hell do they even work, surly the butt would get in the way of your wrist?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ak Gara posted:

How the hell do they even work, surly the butt would get in the way of your wrist?

It's meant to be a rest for your wrist to keep it from getting fatigued. They do it with boobs and balls too.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So that's what it is! I wasn't sure of the scale so I thought it was something.. less decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

To hell with your butt mousepads, pay attention to this. This wonderful, wonderful thing.

• Locked thread