Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
DFAS is quick to take and slow to pay. I've been fortunate in only being shorted by DFAS twice, once to the tune of $250/mo which took about 3 months to fix, and once by about $100/mo which they actually fixed automatically the next month. One of our Soldier's pay got all kinds of hosed up when our CSM put him on a ship transiting from one of the Carolinas to Bahrain, during which time the Soldier's contract ran out. :suicide:

Travel vouchers are a whole different ball game. It took them roughly 6 months to pay me $5,000 worth of travel which I had to cover out of pocket in the meantime. Fortunately, I could do that without missing bills, but technically any time you travel, you sign something saying that if the government fucks up and doesn't pay in time, you have to cover it out of pocket. If I'd had less money available, I wouldn't be able to cover the bills, but my command would be allowed to hound me about it and give me negative reviews, and the credit card company could harm my credit. A coworker of mine just got $1500 he was owed from 14 months ago, due to travel. When new personnel join my cell, which travels quite a bit, we warn them to set aside a few thousand dollars in case of travel fuckups.

edit: the people who suddenly get paid triple salary, spend it all, then cry about it when the government gives them a "no pay due" paycheck when they figure out they have been overpaying the employee are idiots.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

mlmp08 posted:

DFAS is quick to take and slow to pay. I've been fortunate in only being shorted by DFAS twice, once to the tune of $250/mo which took about 3 months to fix, and once by about $100/mo which they actually fixed automatically the next month. One of our Soldier's pay got all kinds of hosed up when our CSM put him on a ship transiting from one of the Carolinas to Bahrain, during which time the Soldier's contract ran out. :suicide:

Travel vouchers are a whole different ball game. It took them roughly 6 months to pay me $5,000 worth of travel which I had to cover out of pocket in the meantime. Fortunately, I could do that without missing bills, but technically any time you travel, you sign something saying that if the government fucks up and doesn't pay in time, you have to cover it out of pocket. If I'd had less money available, I wouldn't be able to cover the bills, but my command would be allowed to hound me about it and give me negative reviews, and the credit card company could harm my credit. A coworker of mine just got $1500 he was owed from 14 months ago, due to travel. When new personnel join my cell, which travels quite a bit, we warn them to set aside a few thousand dollars in case of travel fuckups.

edit: the people who suddenly get paid triple salary, spend it all, then cry about it when the government gives them a "no pay due" paycheck when they figure out they have been overpaying the employee are idiots.

Canada uses PeopleSoft to manage its pay system, and aside from the implementation surrounding this system several years ago from what I have seen there have been relatively few fuckups, but we're also only paying around 90-100k Regular Force and Reserve personnel.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mlmp08 posted:

I got a $7000 les once as an E-3, they wouldn't let me pay it back at once, i just had no pay due for a while

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I figured TFR would be interested in this at least a bit, but didn't really know if this would fit in the news thread.

Anyways, this is the closest we've got to a generic "modern military industrial complex" thread so. . .

Reuters Special Report about how the Pentagon (doesn't) handle payroll and other fiscal matters

tl;dr - :psypop:

That's pretty standard, that's also why if when finance fucks up and double-pays me for a TDY or something I go down there and insist on paying that poo poo with a check and getting a receipt instead of letting them take it out of my pay which they will inevitably gently caress up or forget to turn off and owe me money again. gently caress finance.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mlmp08 posted:

Travel vouchers are a whole different ball game.

Yes. The idiot finalizing my travel voucher should have just clicked "submit" on all three of my back-to-back-to-back claims. Instead, he put the full amount I owed on my GTCC on all claims. So CitiBank gets triple payment, and I get two travel vouchers for $0. How's two months at $116/day per diem turn into $0 for me?

I get a statement from Citi, and they've got a MASSIVE credit on my account. One call to them later, and I have a cashier's check for a couple months of per diem. That was nice of Citi.

It's better than last years' travel, though. Instead of putting my GTCC balance on one claim, he put 0 for everything. Now I have to pay two months' lodging and rental out of my pocket, MONTHS after my claim was liquidated, because those bills moved at the speed of mail, instead of electronically, like everything else.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Why can't we replace that legion of idiots with more computers / new software? (outside of putting thousands of people out of work I guess)

e: nevermind, trying to issue a contract to overhaul that pay system would take at least two-three go-arounds before something even worse is deployed

movax fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 10, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

movax posted:

Why can't we replace that legion of idiots with computers? (outside of putting thousands of people out of work I guess)

Totally non-military answer here but:

Look at the average age of the people making decisions for the military.

Now imagine trying to teach your 65 year old father about online banking, much less how to use his smartphone as a tool to manage his finances.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now imagine trying to teach your 65 year old father about online banking, much less how to use his smartphone as a tool to manage his finances.

Well except when you Dad knows more about computers and tech than you do also was a former Marine. They aren't all intransigent about new tech. I'd say it's more the inertia of the system that already exists and the desire by those who run it or have the biggest vested interest in not changing preventing innovation.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's called Mypay and it's central to the problem

Between DFAS, VA, the active duty medical system, supply, infosec and basically everything the military does not explicitly dedicated to putting warheads on foreheads, it baffles me when civilians want the feds in charge of anything more critical than watering a pet rock.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yes. The idiot finalizing my travel voucher should have just clicked "submit" on all three of my back-to-back-to-back claims. Instead, he put the full amount I owed on my GTCC on all claims. So CitiBank gets triple payment, and I get two travel vouchers for $0. How's two months at $116/day per diem turn into $0 for me?

I get a statement from Citi, and they've got a MASSIVE credit on my account. One call to them later, and I have a cashier's check for a couple months of per diem. That was nice of Citi.

It's better than last years' travel, though. Instead of putting my GTCC balance on one claim, he put 0 for everything. Now I have to pay two months' lodging and rental out of my pocket, MONTHS after my claim was liquidated, because those bills moved at the speed of mail, instead of electronically, like everything else.

At least we're back on the GTC CC instead of that stupid CSA, what a loving waste of time that was. I don't think I ever actually got that poo poo through DTS fast enough for any TDY to get the funds loaded a single time, so instead I have to go track down the FM and get them to put a temporary spending limit for every loving trip. It still bogggles my mind that somebody thought that poo poo was a good idea and would somehow prevent idiots from loving up and misusing their GTCs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

movax posted:

Why can't we replace that legion of idiots with more computers / new software? (outside of putting thousands of people out of work I guess)

e: nevermind, trying to issue a contract to overhaul that pay system would take at least two-three go-arounds before something even worse is deployed

To be honest, now's the right time to commission stuff like this, what with so many people unemployed and all. You don't need to pay so much to get good people, and once the system is built, you can use it for decades. But like the VA unfuckingbelievable clusterfuck, fixing this doesn't mint more political currency for people in Washington, so who cares?

Leveraging the USA's position as a global communications hub to spy on everybody all the time, however...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

Look at what they did with DTS. Now imagine that but 100 times worse. That would be the new pay system software.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cool, the X-47B completed its first successful landing on a carrier (USS George HW Bush) today.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Cool, the X-47B completed its first successful landing on a carrier (USS George HW Bush) today.

Somewhere, the Horten brothers are smiling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

After that they are packing the 2 prototypes off to a stud farm (naval aviation museum).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

We gently caress up simple poo poo like pay but still somehow operate the most advanced loving satellite communications/surveillance/etc network known to mankind. :psyduck:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

We gently caress up simple poo poo like pay but still somehow operate the most advanced loving satellite communications/surveillance/etc network known to mankind. :psyduck:

There are dudes right now sitting all over the US remotely flying aircraft in combat on the other side of the world. Like that is literal science fiction poo poo right there.

Those dudes will also spend a year trying to get their pay unfucked, and will probably just give up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

iyaayas01 posted:

There are dudes right now sitting all over the US remotely flying aircraft in combat on the other side of the world. Like that is literal science fiction poo poo right there.

Those dudes will also spend a year trying to get their pay unfucked, and will probably just give up.

The US Military: Can deliver a missile through a window anywhere in the world in 12 hours but can't do the same with a paycheck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh, I guess I forgot that they hosed me out of $400 five years ago and I just gave up after a year of bullshit. My more persistent friend got paid two years ago after dedicating a few dozen hours to getting his money.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, I guess I forgot that they hosed me out of $400 five years ago and I just gave up after a year of bullshit. My more persistent friend got paid two years ago after dedicating a few dozen hours to getting his money.

How else did you think they were going to pay for the USS George HW Bush?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Hey look what I'm going to see tomorrow:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Air-Stations/RNAS-Yeovilton/Air-Day-2013/Display-Aircraft

Not sure why I'm posting about it.

Well, see ya.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fuf posted:

Hey look what I'm going to see tomorrow:

If you don't at least get good pictures of the Vulcan you're a bad poster. Delete all the apps off your smartphone and just shoot video all day.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
So I turned on the military channel this morning to some show about the Navy training sea lions and dolphins, and at one point, they referred to the trained sea lion as a "Mk 5 Sea Lion." :psyduck: Is this a real designation?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Napoleon I posted:

So I turned on the military channel this morning to some show about the Navy training sea lions and dolphins, and at one point, they referred to the trained sea lion as a "Mk 5 Sea Lion." :psyduck: Is this a real designation?

You should go ask Goons In Platoons. They're familiar with all sorts of fake SEALS.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Napoleon I posted:

Yes, although the designation refers to the entire system, not just the animal.

http://www.public.navy.mil/spawar/Pacific/71500/Pages/FleetSystems.aspx

quote:

The MK 5 "QuickFind" system first demonstrated its capabilities when it recovered an ASROC (Anti Submarine Rocket) MK 17 from 180 feet of water in November of 1970. The MK 5 MMS became operational in 1975 and uses California sea lions to locate and attach recovery hardware to underwater objects such as practice mines. Some of these mines are equipped with a device called a pinger that sends out a tone to help the sea lion locate them. For this, the sea lion may have to dive to depths of 500 feet or more. The QuickFind system consists of a small rubber boat, a sea lion, and two or three handlers. When the boat arrives at the recovery site, the sea lion is sent over the side and given a bite plate to which an attachment device is mounted. The sea lion locates the object by using its exceptional low light vision and directional hearing to locate the undersea object. A strong line tied to the bite plate is payed out from the boat as the sea lion swims down and attaches the device. To be sure the connection is complete, the sea lion tests it by pulling back on the bite plate a few times. The sea lion then releases the bite plate and returns to the boat for a well-deserved reward of fish while the recovery vessel pulls the object to the surface.

The MK 5 "QuickFind" system provides an inexpensive method to recover submerged objects. Cost analyses have shown that this system is much less expensive for recovery than the use of dive teams or remotely operated vehicles (ROV). The sea lions' natural swimming ability makes it ideal for working in this environment and they are not hampered by decompression times. Their speed and agility allow them to recover objects much quicker than the mechanical options. The MK 5 MMS has also located submerged vehicles in a lake and had the opportunity to recover victims (dummies) in a simulated airplane crash.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

PCjr sidecar posted:

You should go ask Goons In Platoons. They're familiar with all sorts of fake SEALS.

-A SOF Marine

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Napoleon I posted:

Yes, Mk 5 refers to the team, not the version of Sea Lion. Mk 5 specializes in recovering equipment from the sea floor.

efb. But I have a picture so I win!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Grover, what about adding lasers to this program?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Smiling Jack posted:

Grover, what about adding lasers to this program?
An independent contractor developed that prototype but DARPA never picked it up!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/wicked-lasers-shark/

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

iyaayas01 posted:

:sigh:

I know, just like I know we'll never get a strategy driven budget process.

Here's a cool video about the history of BMD, up through Safeguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARx2-wRn9-Y

That channel has a lot of cool old Bell Labs videos.

e: Hahaha, check out "Heavy Action" (i.e. the MNF theme) at around 16:45.

That was genuinely cool! Now I know where some of my favorite clips of the safeguard program came from.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Beat cops get furloughed for sequester but the 'Sea lions find our lost toys' program marches full speed ahead.

I mean I guess it beats that Army study on goldfish communication or whatever, but c'mon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

Beat cops get furloughed for sequester but the 'Sea lions find our lost toys' program marches full speed ahead.

I mean I guess it beats that Army study on goldfish communication or whatever, but c'mon.

The sequester being really dumb in how cuts are handled is a feature, not a bug.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

The sequester being really dumb in how cuts are handled is a feature, not a bug.

YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/268289/

An article talking about the Japanese attack on North Dakota during WW2.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Naramyth posted:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/268289/

An article talking about the Japanese attack on North Dakota during WW2.

Link no worky, although I'm going to hazard a guess that it's about those weather balloons strapped to incendiary devices?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Link no worky, although I'm going to hazard a guess that it's about those weather balloons strapped to incendiary devices?

Yup.

quote:

It’s not big in the history books and it doesn’t get talked about at gatherings of World War II veterans. But on a wintry day in the final year of the war, Imperial Japan attacked North Dakota.

The attack was from the air, an early strike by an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), but it left no casualties and did no physical damage. Nor did the airstrikes — there were two — cause much alarm, thanks to a fairly tight news blackout, though a young Walsh County boy named Clarian Grabanski did tell authorities he fired six rifle shots at the craft that came down in a muddy field on his family’s farm near the Red and Forest rivers.

A balloon.

Specifically, a hydrogen-filled balloon — 30 feet in diameter — launched from more than 6,000 miles away and armed with bombs and incendiary devices.

“It came in from the west, and it was kind of spooky,” said Eugene Dauksavage, 78, who was a 10-year-old boy returning from a Lenten “stations of the cross” service at St. Stanislaus Catholic Church in Warsaw, N.D., with his family.

It was a blustery Friday evening, March 30, 1945.

“It was a pretty big balloon, gray, the size of those that people sit in there and fly with helium,” Dauksavage said. “There was kind of a basket underneath, and ropes coming down.

“It was maybe a couple hundred yards in the air and coming down, down, down. We lived about a quarter-mile from where it landed, and we walked out to the road to look at it. But we never did get to see it close because it was so muddy in the field.”

Several other people, on their way home from St. Stanislaus, watched the balloon come down, pulled on galoshes and hiked through the muddy field to check it out.

The FBI and the Army showed up the next day.

Goals: Panic, fires

Angered by the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo in April 1942, which showed the Japanese that their home islands were not immune from attack, military strategists there began looking for new ways to strike at the United States.

After two years of design and production, thousands of high-altitude balloons armed with bombs and incendiary devices were launched from Nov. 3, 1944, to April 20, 1945. The newly discovered “river of wind” that was the jet stream would carry them in 50 to 60 days more than 6,000 miles to the West Coast of the United States and Canada.

Their objectives: cause massive fires in the western forests, divert manpower and resources from the war effort, and shake American morale.

“Floating Vengeance,” author and military historian Michael Unsworth called the project after researching it and its effects. In 1994, he came to Grand Forks for the dedication of a records archive at UND’s Chester Fritz Library, Department of Special Collections.

The archive includes U.S. investigators’ notes and accounts from Walsh County residents who saw the balloon float onto the Grabanski farm, leaving a trail of sand as it dropped its ballast sandbags. The documents had been stamped “confidential” until shortly before they were deposited at UND.

There were no contemporary newspaper accounts. Reporters from local and regional papers went to the scene but agreed not to publish the news. FBI agents and other authorities took possession of the balloon remnants — and photos shot by the Herald photographer — and urged people not to talk about the incident as that might cause panic. They also wanted to deny Japan intelligence on the effectiveness of the campaign.

It was not particularly effective. Of the 9,200 balloons launched, only about 300 made it to North America. Most fell into the ocean, as batteries regulating the dropping of sandbags froze in the high altitude.

Almost all of those that made it across the Pacific Ocean fell in unpopulated areas of the Northwest and did little or no damage, but bombs from one balloon killed six people in Bly, Ore., on May 5, 1945. Another could have caused big problems two months earlier when it struck power lines leading to a facility in Washington state that was processing material for the American atomic bomb project.

Taking souvenirs

The first of the two balloons to reach North Dakota came down near Ashley, southwest of Jamestown near the South Dakota border, on Feb. 22, 1945. Farmers estimated it was traveling about 50 feet off the ground at 15 miles an hour with its shroud lines just touching the ground. It came to a stop when one of the lines caught on a farmhouse radio antenna.

Gerald Rau, the 12-year-old grandson of the land’s owner, rode his pony over the snowy fields to inspect the balloon up close, then reported to his father, who with friends hauled the device to Ashley. It was displayed there in a vacant lot, where local boys took souvenirs: patches with Japanese writing.

They later became concerned after hearing that the balloon could have carried a biological weapon, but nobody ever got sick and the event faded into historical obscurity. (Unsworth wrote later that the Japanese military was capable of arming the balloons with biological weapons but apparently elected not to, fearing retaliation from the United States.)

The FBI sent an agent from Minneapolis to inspect the Ashley balloon. He photographed it, packed it in his car and later sent it to Washington, D.C.

Five weeks later, Clarian Grabanski personally opened a new front in the war, firing six .22 rounds into the gondola of the Walsh County balloon.

“Fortunately for him, he did his shooting from a distance and did not set off the self-destruct charge” that was built into each balloon, Unsworth wrote. It apparently had dropped its bombs already.

Locals eyed the balloon for a day, wondering at its skin of shellacked mulberry paper and speculating on its origins. Despite young Grabanski’s brave assault, most people thought it was a weather balloon or a U.S. military device. U.S. military authorities who arrived the next day tried to keep it that way.

Early UAVs?

Dauksavage said he doesn’t remember when he first suspected or learned that the balloon that drifted into his young life in 1945 had come all the way from Japan and had been outfitted with a deadly weapon.

“Once in a while it comes up in conversation,” he said. “But very few people are left who remember it now.

“I heard there were stories … people said they heard a couple men were seen jumping out when it came down.

“But where did they go then, in that mud?”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Took me about 6 months to get the ~$20k they almost screwed me out of.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
USAF is apparently having some QF-4 drone troubles.

http://blog.al.com/gulf-coast/2013/07/second_drone_in_a_week_crashes.html

They've had 2 lose control and crash in the past week. This time it has shut down one of the major arteries through the area.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In :canada: news..

All Sea Kings are currently grounded while coming up on their 50th year in service.

Damage to the HMCS Corner Brook (ex-brit upholder class submarine) is a lot worse than initially let on. Only 2 of the 4 submarines obtained from the brits back in 1998 are in active service, with one fresh from a refit that took 3 years longer than anticipated.

And then there is the whole F-35 procurement thing coming up again with bids being tendered but is probably all a farce anyway because the RCAF has pretty much decided they must have F-35s.

Fuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

USAF is apparently having some QF-4 drone troubles.

http://blog.al.com/gulf-coast/2013/07/second_drone_in_a_week_crashes.html

They've had 2 lose control and crash in the past week. This time it has shut down one of the major arteries through the area.

USAF/USAAF has a long and storied history of losing control of target drones. Page back in the thread far enough and I'm pretty sure there's a really loving hilarious article about the multiple, multiple attempts to shoot down a Bearcat-turned-target drone in the 50s or 60s. They were afraid it was going to crash into an inhabited part of the general area around LA and ended up accidentally starting a bunch of brush fires and I think even strafing a neighborhood or something equally hosed up, only to have it finally run out of gas and just crumple into the side of a hill with no ill effects.