Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You will never take the ball from the Goers, and they can pretty much take it from you at will. Even with the Jecht Shot you have to get Tidus close enough to shoot without getting the ball stolen (they have a decent goalie so you can't just shoot from across the field), and then you can score once because Tidus doesn't have enough HP to do it twice at that level. The Jecht Shot is not some magical "win game" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I feel like I'm the only one who played through FFX twice and completely ignored Blitzball both times. Get your underwater Madden out of my JRPG.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StellarX posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who played through FFX twice and completely ignored Blitzball both times. Get your underwater Madden out of my JRPG.
It's not Underwater Madden, though :confused:

If anything, it's Underwater Math-en. There's no skill or tactics involved whatsoever, just crunching probability and poo poo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

It's not Underwater Madden, though :confused:

If anything, it's Underwater Math-en. There's no skill or tactics involved whatsoever, just crunching probability and poo poo.

So it's underwater baseball :smug:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Azure_Horizon posted:

this is Hamauzu's time, and he's kicking tons of rear end. :colbert:

This can't be said enough. If I could get him to score my life, I would. :allears:

Gaseous Snake posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNR-wsFAfiU
She did music for Xenoblade Chronicles too.

Oh. Oh my. Looks like I'll be looking into this soundtrack very soon.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, that Xenoblade track is the intro and sometimes I just let it run to listen to it. It's just so peaceful :sigh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

StellarX posted:

You need to do it to unlock Wakka's ultimate weapon and overdrives, and he is one of the strongest characters in the endgame.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

VII was packed with minigames, some with better gameplay than its own. I think I've spent more hours at the Gold Saucer playing G-Bike than Chocobo Racing, and I remember the snowboarding game being stupid popular too. (Probably because Cool Boarders 2 was the best snowboarding on the market at the time.)

Chocobo Racing was just pants-on-head easy until the Black Chocobo jockey showed up, and then became hard as hell until you got a Gold chocobo, then became a joke again.

I hate the snowboarding game, but maybe it was popular, I dunno. It felt unresponsive and a lot of the obstacles flat-out didn't show up on the screen until you were about to smack into them because of rendering strain or something.

The G-Bike game was alright, nothing I'd dump a lot of hours into. The hit detection on it is pretty bad.

Speed Square is fun on the PSX, but would be borderline unplayable on PC if not for the zeppelin propeller trick giving you like 30,000 points. Even on the PSX the lack of precision is a pain, but it's the most outright enjoyable of the minigames in my personal opinion.

Battle Square was only fun if you knew all the tricks and came prepared, otherwise it was a horrendous slog.

The Submarine game is kind of neat, and relaxing in a weird way.

The basketball game was either a complete waste or the single best source of GP in the game depending on how good you are at split-second timing. Not a fun game by any means.

Most of the other games were either completely broken (the 3-D battler and the arm wrestling), useless (Mog house, aside from the first 30 GP), or forgettable.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm pretty okay with a lack of prelude and victory themes -- this is Hamauzu's time, and he's kicking tons of rear end. :colbert:

I know a lot of FF chat here but be sure not to miss his work on SaGa Frontier II. There are Piano variations of many songs which are amazing. Very regal and rich, if you are familiar with the game he hits the tone of the story on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmZraJo0FTE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

Chocobo Racing was just pants-on-head easy until the Black Chocobo jockey showed up, and then became hard as hell until you got a Gold chocobo, then became a joke again.

I hate the snowboarding game, but maybe it was popular, I dunno. It felt unresponsive and a lot of the obstacles flat-out didn't show up on the screen until you were about to smack into them because of rendering strain or something.

The G-Bike game was alright, nothing I'd dump a lot of hours into. The hit detection on it is pretty bad.

Speed Square is fun on the PSX, but would be borderline unplayable on PC if not for the zeppelin propeller trick giving you like 30,000 points. Even on the PSX the lack of precision is a pain, but it's the most outright enjoyable of the minigames in my personal opinion.

Battle Square was only fun if you knew all the tricks and came prepared, otherwise it was a horrendous slog.

The Submarine game is kind of neat, and relaxing in a weird way.

The basketball game was either a complete waste or the single best source of GP in the game depending on how good you are at split-second timing. Not a fun game by any means.

Most of the other games were either completely broken (the 3-D battler and the arm wrestling), useless (Mog house, aside from the first 30 GP), or forgettable.

Yeah but just look how many there are, and that's also not mentioning a lot of story parts that are structured like mini games (the TV broadcast, climbing that mountain etc.). If nothing else you can admire it for the amount of variety and attempt at including every idea they could.

I would love to see something like a controls layout for that game that actually lists every function the buttons have at one point or another, just to get an idea of how many different ways they combined the commands "OK" and "Cancel" to make new events.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

Oh. Oh my. Looks like I'll be looking into this soundtrack very soon.

Don't let this deter you from looking into the Xenoblade soundtrack (which is pretty amazing regardless), but Yoko Shimomura only composed a handful of tracks from the game (including the main theme previously linked). Yasunori Mitsuda composed the vocal ending theme and (if I'm not mistaken) nothing else. The vast majority of the music, however, was a fairly even split between ACE+ and Manami Kiyota.

That said, the game has many many awesome tracks and is one of my overall favorite OSTs in recent years. Personally, I appreciate the multiple-composer variety.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Crazyweasel posted:

I know a lot of FF chat here but be sure not to miss his work on SaGa Frontier II. There are Piano variations of many songs which are amazing. Very regal and rich, if you are familiar with the game he hits the tone of the story on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmZraJo0FTE

I have! It's great. I actually think Hamauzu's work on Unlimited SaGa is his best, despite the game being bad.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Great Lakes Log posted:

Yeah but just look how many there are, and that's also not mentioning a lot of story parts that are structured like mini games (the TV broadcast, climbing that mountain etc.). If nothing else you can admire it for the amount of variety and attempt at including every idea they could.

I would love to see something like a controls layout for that game that actually lists every function the buttons have at one point or another, just to get an idea of how many different ways they combined the commands "OK" and "Cancel" to make new events.

Yeah, it's very impressive and honestly the minigames probably were a lot better when the game was first released. I have a lot of nostalgia for the game, but clunky controls are something that fond memories don't extend to. At the time they were probably pretty well-crafted, though.

They were also smart enough to have you do each minigame as part of the storyline once for variety, and then made them optional after that. Even if the minigame isn't much fun, you know it's over soon and I can at least appreciate that they tried to spice things up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Slightly off-topic, but as terrible as FFATB was, the enemy descriptions are fantastic.

Chaos: This lord of discord thrives on strife. His knees subscribe to the same ideology, as well.
Floating Eye: This giant flying eyeball no doubt has an easier time than most using eye drops.
Rubicante: The Archfiend of Fire is an honorable warrior who dons a fabulous flame-retardant cape.
Magna Roader: These unlikely creatures love going off sweet jumps. Vrooom vrooom vroooooom!!!

:allears: Localizers.
It's such a drat shame the actual game was so thoughtlessly bad.

Honey Badger posted:

They were also smart enough to have you do each minigame as part of the storyline once for variety, and then made them optional after that. Even if the minigame isn't much fun, you know it's over soon and I can at least appreciate that they tried to spice things up.

I agree. I always appreciate it when developers have you do something different besides the usual RPG combat. It keeps things fresh. That's why I like gimmicky enemies, as well, they force you to do something different as opposed to just mashing the attack command.

The minigames were well done in FFVII. They tried to make you feel cool, and after you beat it, you never had to touch it again if you didn't want to, as you said. The game would be far worse if they were removed.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 16, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
A little charm goes a long way. That's part of why Super Mario RPG is so beloved.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SSNeoman posted:

Slightly off-topic, but as terrible as FFATB was, the enemy descriptions are fantastic.

Chaos: This lord of discord thrives on strife. His knees subscribe to the same ideology, as well.
Floating Eye: This giant flying eyeball no doubt has an easier time than most using eye drops.
Rubicante: The Archfiend of Fire is an honorable warrior who dons a fabulous flame-retardant cape.
Magna Roader: These unlikely creatures love going off sweet jumps. Vrooom vrooom vroooooom!!!

:allears: Localizers.
It's such a drat shame the actual game was so thoughtlessly bad.

I agree. I always appreciate it when developers have you do something different besides the usual RPG combat. It keeps things fresh. That's why I like gimmicky enemies, as well, they force you to do something different as opposed to just mashing the attack command.

The minigames were well done in FFVII. They tried to make you feel cool, and after you beat it, you never had to touch it again if you didn't want to, as you said. The game would be far worse if they were removed.

It's amazing how FF ATB can have one of the best localizations Square has EVER done, and yet be so bad of a game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ATB is a game in which Square put a fair amount of good effort into literally everything but the game itself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I just got to the Holy city of Girulven or whatever the gently caress in 12 and holy poo poo there's a 5 level jump between enemies there and in the Feywood. I could handle the Feywood really well but I'm being murdered in the City. Any tips for handling the location? Or a good place to grind out some levels?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Which enemies are you having trouble with? Behemoth Kings are weak to Blizzaga, so that's a start. You should space your party out for the Malboros (actually as a general idea, you should have at least one ranged attacker, hopefully two). The Imps shouldn't be that difficult. The Golems are a bit trickier but they're not too difficult to heal through - or if you're really desperate, just Reflect everything back at them (or slap Mirror Mail from the Mirrorknights in the Feywood on everybody).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which enemies are you having trouble with? Behemoth Kings are weak to Blizzaga, so that's a start. You should space your party out for the Malboros (actually as a general idea, you should have at least one ranged attacker, hopefully two). The Imps shouldn't be that difficult. The Golems are a bit trickier but they're not too difficult to heal through - or if you're really desperate, just Reflect everything back at them (or slap Mirror Mail from the Mirrorknights in the Feywood on everybody).

It's not one specific enemy, it's the combination of all of them. It's a war of attrition that I really can't seem to win. I got to the second area, but then the packs became so dense and so close together that I was being overwhelmed and there was no real safe area to flee too to regroup.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not one specific enemy, it's the combination of all of them. It's a war of attrition that I really can't seem to win. I got to the second area, but then the packs became so dense and so close together that I was being overwhelmed and there was no real safe area to flee too to regroup.

I'll be honest that I don't really remember, but if that's the case, try turning off gambits, sniping them from a distance, retreat a little and kill them, and repeat. I don't think all the mobs are linked, so that might help.

If not then I don't know, go do some hunts or get better equipment. What levels are your guys?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'll be honest that I don't really remember, but if that's the case, try turning off gambits, sniping them from a distance, retreat a little and kill them, and repeat. I don't think all the mobs are linked, so that might help.

If not then I don't know, go do some hunts or get better equipment. What levels are your guys?

On average 36 except Ash and Vaan who are like 39. I've got the best (buyable) equipment at this point, and everyone has most of the Green/support licenses bought (Vaan and Balthier have everything thanks to grabbing two early golden armlets).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm trying to play FFTA2 and I really hate the way stats work. I hate that stats stay the same when you switch to another class, so a black mage that has leveled as a soldier will be a terrible black mage. It makes no sense considering how often you have to train in other classes to get good abilities, or how you have to train in lovely base classes to unlock the advanced ones (assuming they're not blocked by quests or weapons not being available to you yet). I hope if they ever make FFTA3, or godwilling FFT2, it's more like FF5 where stats are entirely based on a character's current class.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

On average 36 except Ash and Vaan who are like 39. I've got the best (buyable) equipment at this point, and everyone has most of the Green/support licenses bought (Vaan and Balthier have everything thanks to grabbing two early golden armlets).

Yeah, you are a bit underleveled... Just grind a bit, do some hunts and then come back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone keeps saying "remake FF7" but why hasn't anyone come up with the real genius idea, which would be remaking FF7 for iOS/Android in retro FF6 style. It would be much cheaper and the same gamers who love FF7 are the exact ones who would go batshit for a pixel-art FF7. poo poo, even I would love that!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Veks posted:

Yeah, you are a bit underleveled... Just grind a bit, do some hunts and then come back.

Yeah I just beat Tyrant and everyone's just shy of 40 now. Should be fine as long as I don't run into an Esper/Boss fight.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

There is an Esper fight coming, but its not too hard. Tyrant is probably the hardest boss in that area.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

Everyone keeps saying "remake FF7" but why hasn't anyone come up with the real genius idea, which would be remaking FF7 for iOS/Android in retro FF6 style. It would be much cheaper and the same gamers who love FF7 are the exact ones who would go batshit for a pixel-art FF7. poo poo, even I would love that!

Thats actually a lot harder than you think; even if you used only exciting sprites and ignored how nothing looked like how it was supposed to you're still facing the prospect of completely overhauling the game and redisigning it to fit within the FF6 engine. You'd end up with something nobody* would want, a nostalgia remake that had to be overhauled to look and play wrong.

*I would. I would buy it and buy it again.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

precision posted:

I'd buy that, especially if they kept in the PSX FMVs. Or made them like Lego game videos.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

precision posted:

It would be remade using the FFD engine. See the FF5 iOS sprites? That's what they'd look like.

Tifa would be a modified Alba. :gonk:

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'd buy that, especially if they kept in the PSX FMVs. Or made them like Lego game videos.

Hell, I'd buy an entire Lego Final Fantasy franchise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Vittles posted:

This idea is so good it hurts that it will never happen.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Captain Vittles posted:

Legossidia Final Fantasy.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

I'm always kind of confused when they talk about remaking FF7 being more expensive that doing a new game from scratch. Why is that exactly? I don't see how any of the assets would transfer over, and aside from the plot, locations, and character names, you'd be remaking everything from scratch anyways right?

Personally I'd prefer a loose remake rather than a literal shot-for-shot update with shinier graphics. If anything it seems like having a storyboard, general game path, and soundtrack composed out of the gate would make a game cheaper.

On the other hand I don't really know if the current teams working on FFs could actually remake FF7 without ruining it, but if they can release a port of a 15-year-old game on Steam and make it the number 1 seller, there's obviously a lot of demand. Then there's spin-offs, movies, cell phone games, etc. I have a feeling it's going to get remade someday just because after this generation of gamers the nostalgia isn't going to drive sales anymore, and doing a remake would probably revitalize the FF7 Juggernaut pretty handily.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I personally hope they never remake it, just continue to preserve it in whatever form you can currently play it in. I love that when I recently wanted to play through a bunch of old FF games, they were all instantly available on a ton of platforms. I think that availability is more important than updating.

Although I am being somewhat of a hypocrite, since I'm really looking forward to X/X-2 HD.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd probably be about as expensive as making a new game from scratch, but the thing is the remake could be the greatest game ever made and people wouldn't be satisfied because it isn't the game they grew up with.

EDIT: Also FFX/X-2 aren't really remakes, they're just upresses of already existant games. They touched up the models a little, that's about it.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

I could see that being the reason. But I mean eh, people are gonna find something to be pissed off about no matter what, even if you are just porting to keep the game available on new systems. To me VII is the perfect FF to remake because the only things holding it back at all could all be fixed by a remake. Better translation so the story is a bit more clear, better graphics, less clunky controls, updated soundtrack, etc. VII is like the awkward growing pains portion of the series; even VIII's graphics aren't that bad today, but VII's really shows its age, especially with the pre-rendered backgrounds scaling poorly and looking like crap on modern screens.

I mean I'm a weirdo that would like to see the entire SNES / PSX generation of FFS get a modern remake, although I know it will never happen. I'd still want the originals to be available, and there's no reason they couldn't be, but it would be pretty amazing to see all that imagination let loose without being constrained by obsolete technology.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Writing isn't what makes a game expensive. Music not so much either.

Plus any remake will have a full emo Cloud and he'll be recast as the bland character he's been treated as.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Writing isn't what makes a game expensive. Music not so much either.

Plus any remake will have a full emo Cloud and he'll be recast as the bland character he's been treated as.

That's what I'm wondering, like what is it that would make a remake of VII more expensive than a brand-new game? Square Enix keeps saying that but I'm not sure why.

Also, I think I'd be a lot more content without a remake if they'd at least port all of the other FFVII stuff onto PC. Not being able to play Crisis Core or Before Crisis because I don't own a PSP or live in Japan kind of blows. Hell I'd even try Dirge of Cerberus even though it is apparently awful as hell. But that's a problem with lots of series, not just FF. There are a lot of FF games I never got to play because I didn't own whatever random system they decided to put it out on. Between SNES, Phones, DS, PSP, Wii, PS2, PS3, and PC, there's a whole assload of platforms with little to no cross-over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Great Lakes Log posted:

I personally hope they never remake it, just continue to preserve it in whatever form you can currently play it in. I love that when I recently wanted to play through a bunch of old FF games, they were all instantly available on a ton of platforms. I think that availability is more important than updating.

Then that's a problem that needs to be addressed, as FF VII is only available as a PSX and PC game. It's been rereleased on the Playstation Network, so PSP/Vita/PS3 (right? I only have a PSP) but it isn't nearly as readily available as the first two FFs, or even FF6.